- Saturday 26 May, 2012
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 9 (3,3,3) - Difficult Terrain, >500M ascent, >10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Only major junctions marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster Championship
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- A new route to Knockmealdown by Avondhu Way and Sugarloaf Mountain.
Follow the Avondhu Way south to Vee car park passing Bay Lough en route. Cross the R669 and ascend to top of Sugarloaf Mountain. It is not nessecary to hit the trig point to the left. After crossing the stone wall (county boundary), keep the wall on your right as you run SE, descending off Sugarloaf and strting the long , gradual climb leading to Knockmealdown. As you near the last pull upto the top, jump to the right hand side of wall as there is steep ground to the left. Make contact with trig point. Summit marshall will be here.
Follow the same route on the descent but this time stay to the LEFT of wall. Keeping approx 10m from wall there are quad tracks which are quite runnable. As you hit the col take note of tape/arrows !!! YOU WILL NOT ASCEND SUGARLOAF ON WAY BACK, but instead follow markings / peat track around side of mountain bringing you back to the original path.
From here drop down to the Vee car park and back down the Avondhu Way to the finish.
- Getting There:
- Clogheen, Co. Tipperary
Registration is at the race start. This is at forest entrance 1km south of Clogheen on the Lismore Road (R668). It is where the Avondhu Way leaves the road. Note that this is a different location to last year, when the carpark at the top of the Vee was used.
- Organisers Instructions:
- This race is open to all and the cost is €10 per person. If you have already raced an IMRA race this year, please bring your number with you.
- Prizegiving Location:
- The Cats Bar. Turn off Lismore Rd after coming over the Vee. Take the left turn for Mount Mellary and 6km on left
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize