Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sorrel Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Dermot MurphyApr 21 2010, 9:26amMyself and Diarmuid O'Colmain had a look at the Sorrell Hill route yesterday evening. The race route starts along the fire road and after nearly a kilometer, the route goes off the fire road and up through a forest ride. There has been extensive felling in the area and the forest ride is now at the edge of the felling area. As a result, there is a lot of lose branches and a few fallen trees over the ride. A fair bit of work would be needed to make this section suitable for a race - bearing in there could be up to 200 runners on the day. Myself and Diarmuid looked at an alternative route which we think would be more suitable. If you continue along the fire road, after another 400 meters or so you come to a junction where the fire road goes straight ahead, with another branch off to the left. Take the left hand road and after about 10 meters, there is another forest ride to your right. This goes all the way up to the fence with a style over the fence and back on to the old route again.

There is no race director yet for this race so no decision has been made on this alternative route. If anyone wants to check out the old route and proposed change, please do so and feel free to post any comments about it.
Caitlin BentApr 24 2010, 9:51pmDermot I know that route and I think that would be an excellent alternative to the open mountain and on to Sorrell.
Dermot MurphyMay 31 2010, 10:56amA quick update on the Sorrell Hill route - the old route through the forest ride has now been cleared and in good condition for the race - so the route will be unchanged from previous years.
Not too many volunteers for this race - I need volunteers for first aid, lap top, race marked, plus a number of running and non running volunteers.
Mick HanneyMay 31 2010, 10:52pmAlso, by the time Sorrell hill comes around many people may have reached the target 7 races for the Leinster League so it could be opportune to do a volunteering slot.

Remember, volunteering at 2 events is needed to secure the end of league prize. And volunteering is what keeps makes imra tick. Cheers.
Justin ReaJun 1 2010, 11:50amThanks to Coillte for clearing this trail for us. You can support their work through volunteering for the Dublin Mountain Plod, 18th July. A nice Sunday walk in the hills.

We still need marshals, markers, first aid, laptop . . . help!
Dermot MurphyJun 3 2010, 2:37pmJust to echo Justin's words - thanks again to Coillte for clearing the route.

Still need quite a few volunteers, especially non running volunteers, for this race. I have a first aid officier (Mike Gomm).

Thanks to all who have volunteered so far.
Jim FitzharrisJun 8 2010, 5:23pmDermot,

I have two direction signs for the Sorrel Hill race kindly made by Gerry Lalor some years ago. One goes at the far end of the bridge to Lacken and the other at the turn off up to the race start. I will bring them tomorrow and erect them en route. I will also collect them afterwards for future use.

Cheers,

Jim.
Dermot MurphyJun 9 2010, 12:35pmJust a reminder that registration will close at 7:15pm - no cars will be allowed into the car park after this time.

Please car pool where possible - you can arrange to meet in either Blessington or at Zellars in Lacken beforehand.
Dermot MurphyJun 10 2010, 11:11amThanks again to all involved in last nights race.

Results are now up - please let me know if there are any incorrect times - we may have missed a couple of the early starts etc.

Anyone want to write up a report?
Mick HanneyJun 10 2010, 11:16amThanks Dermot and team, particularly Gerry for the right balance of marking and having to hang on patiently in the strong breeze at the summit. Twas like the alternate Weds and real Weds races collided for once :-)