Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballybraid

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Niamh O CeallaighApr 14 2009, 2:15pmThe Ballybraid race will be held on Saturday 16th May in one of the most beautiful parts of Wicklow.
I am looking for volunteers to fill the following roles:

1. 2 summit marshals. One on each summit. Pack your picnic. Views from either summit are spectacular.

2. Timekeeper. As timekeeper, your job will be to sit on a deck chair in the sunshine, writing down runners numbers and times as they cross the finish.

This is a very relaxed race. There will be no stress / pressure involved.

Please sign up online, email me directly on niamh dot oceallaigh at arup dot com or text / phone me on 085 1445209.

These highly sought after volunteering roles will be given on a first come first served basis.

Thanks
Niamh
Mick HanneyApr 14 2009, 3:20pmfyi.. we managed without summit marshalls on Ballybraid last year, helped by fine weather on the day I might add. There was a marshall at the turn point on the outward stretch to the 2nd peak. Whether that was strictly necessary I'm not sure, but it certainly helps to have recce'd the route in advance.

Ballybraid is a gem.
Jason KehoeApr 15 2009, 11:25amTotally agree with Mick, it's a gem of a race and one of the most enjoyable from last year IMHO.

If you didn't recce the race there are four possible points to make mistakes from my own experience and from those of other competitors I saw:

* Towards the first summit at Mullacor you have to keep heading left to round the cairn at the absolute summit before backtracking to head towards Cullentragh direction.
* Have to make sure you know where the turnaround point is at Derrybawn (I took around three people about 150m to the cliff edge before realising)
* Have to know where the shortcut across the gorse path to Cullentragh is
* Have to make sure you dont run out too far and onto the road before hitting the fire trail for the home stretch.

All mistakes made in the last race. A recce is seriously advisable; we were blessed with cracking weather last year but a bit of mist could have really compounded the mistakes. I'm sure someone will be organising one on this page in the coming weeks.
Bruce ShenkerApr 15 2009, 11:30amOne more mistake can be on the track coming back (before the fire trail), there are lots of tracks going in all directions, but mostly to the right, if I remember correctly the last time I ran at Ballybraid Joe lalor and Henny were well ahead of me and then disappeared down the wrong track to the right and i was able to finish ahead of them.
Niamh O CeallaighApr 15 2009, 2:47pmThe main thing to remember is - NOT TO FOLLOW JASON KEHOE!!!!