Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
ciaran kellyJan 11 2008, 11:28amhi,

I am new to this and hoping to attend and join on Sunday in Howth. Does the event go ahead rain or shine?

Thanks

ciaran
tom pJan 11 2008, 11:56amI never did this either and was thinking of trying it but was wondering :
Would the likes of asics 2120's do for Howth as i have never been in Howth let alone gone running up a hill there..--what kind of terrain is it?Surely it's a mud bath after the recent weather and it's probably waders i need instead?
Rene BorgJan 11 2008, 12:04pmHi guys,

You can run Howth in normal runners without killing yourself. Still trail shoes would be recommended especially in foul weather. But your normal runners should be fine if you're just out to try it.

The race will go ahead unless the conditions are so ridiculous they are dangerous, but even if that happened then you can be sure a lot will run it anyway (uninsured!), myself included.

We've run races in 10m visibility in the snow, or in hailing rainstorms, so it'll take a bit.
Justin ReaJan 11 2008, 2:07pmOne of the benefits of running on mountains is that the water tends to run off them. There are a few notable exceptions (like the ride in Ballinastoe!)

Normal runners are usually OK except for a technical descent. This is where mud, or scree, or other unstable footing makes the path tricky.

To be honest, your experience and technique makes much more of a difference than what kind of shoes you wear.

It would be fun to see you do Howth in waders though ;-)
Charlie O'ConnellJan 11 2008, 9:43pmFor what categories will there be overall League results and awards? Last year it was confined to Senior runners only. I thought this a bit unfair to the many Masters who participated.
Chris CareyJan 12 2008, 11:56amHow much is the entry fees for the races? Do you need to sign up for the league series or just individual races?

Thanks
Justin ReaJan 12 2008, 4:15pmEntry fee is ?7 for each race. Annual registration is ?10 that does you for the whole year for any IMRA race.

Each race has a sign in where you retrieve your number. Hand it back in after each race.
Rene BorgJan 13 2008, 9:37pmHere are the preliminary club results for today's race, until we get the automatic calculation working and the names cleaned up (3D Tri club appearing with three different names etc.)

Very competitive!

Men's Teams

1st Clonliffe Harries 15 (Feargal Hartnett 4, Ronan Hartnett 5, Dermott Murphy 6)
2nd Crusaders AC 20 (Shane O'Rourke 2, Alan O'Keefe 3, Rene Borg 15)
3rd Setanta 67 (Eoin Keith 1, Andreas Kusch 31, Kevin O'Riordan 35)
4th 3D Triathlon 146 (Sean Farrell 36, Eoman Quinn 43, Michael Blighe 66)
5th Rathfarnham WSAF 165 (Kevin Grogan 10, Mike Long 11, Barry Minnock 144)
6th GEN 208 (Alan Ayling 33, Joe Lalor 50, Brendan Doherty 125)

Women's Teams

1st Clonliffe Harriers 24 (Bronagh Ni Bhriain 5, Karen Duggan 6, Maura Matthews 11)
2nd Crusaders AC 25 (Aoife Joyce 1, Niamh Ni Cholmain 10, Eva Fairmaner 14)
3rd Sportsworld 67 (Jackie O 9, Catherine King 27, Deirdre Horan 31)
Feargal HartnettJan 13 2008, 10:34pmHi Rene,
First off I really enjoyed the race this morning and hope to run lt more throughout the year. I must go in search of getting a prpoer pairof trail runners. I am not sure if your the site moderator but when I clicked on my name under my race history it states I ran two races in 2007. Today was my first ever mouantain race aprt from the WW relay last year.
Rgds
Feargal
Rene BorgJan 13 2008, 10:58pmHi Feargal,

you've been registered as another person of the same name then.

Sinead Roche is our Results and Data Secretary and can fix that for her, just send her a mail on sinead.roche@imra.ie.

You'll probably appear as Feargal Hartnett with your birth year behind your name on the site then.
cormac o ceallaighJan 14 2008, 7:24amWell done to Ray and his team for doing such a super job in organising yesterday race, for the first race of the league and with registering 150 runners!, and having the hot showers laid on....excellent!
Neil WilsonJan 14 2008, 8:22amMany thanks for a fantastic run event yesterday
morning.Realy enjoyed the company and frendly
and supportive organisation. It was my first hill
run and look forward to the next race..
Moire O'SullivanJan 14 2008, 9:07amJust wanted to echo Cormac and Neil's comments there... Amazing level of organisation there on Sunday! Registration was smooth, numbers all printed with OSI sponsorship, even membership cards! I brought some new faces along, and they were all seriously impressed by the thrill of the race and how friendly the atmosphere was. Definitely was a day when I was truly proud to be a member of IMRA :o)
Colum KingJan 14 2008, 9:30amHey Guys, just wanted to say thanks for a great race. Thats my first Hill Run and I think Im addicted now!! Great organisation, perhaps I can help out in the future. See ye at Three Rock...
Mark McLoughlinJan 14 2008, 10:09amAnother first timer here - really enjoyed the race, impressive organisation, thanks to all involved!
Rene BorgJan 14 2008, 10:55amHere are the revised team results as Barry Minnock didn't run the race and was registered by accident, meaning

Men's Teams

1st Clonliffe Harries 15 (Feargal Hartnett 4, Ronan Hartnett 5, Dermott Murphy 6)
2nd Crusaders AC 20 (Shane O'Rourke 2, Alan O'Keefe 3, Rene Borg 15)
3rd Setanta 67 (Eoin Keith 1, Andreas Kusch 31, Kevin O'Riordan 35)
4th 3D Triathlon 146 (Sean Farrell 36, Eoman Quinn 43, Michael Blighe 66)
5th GEN 208 (Alan Ayling 33, Joe Lalor 50, Brendan Doherty 125)

Women's Teams

1st Clonliffe Harriers 24 (Bronagh Ni Bhriain 5, Karen Duggan 6, Maura Matthews 11)
2nd Crusaders AC 25 (Aoife Joyce 1, Niamh Ni Cholmain 10, Eva Fairmaner 14)
3rd Sportsworld 67 (Jackie O 9, Catherine King 27, Deirdre Horan 31)
Rene BorgJan 14 2008, 12:38pmSecond amendment: the correct score for Clonliffe ladies is of course, 22 points. This will be amended on the resuls page.
Sinead RocheJan 14 2008, 7:56pmRunner history for Feargal Hartnett has now been corrected.
Cheers,
Sinead
Rene BorgJan 15 2008, 7:17amGood going Fergal, on you and Ronan running the BHAA and the Howth race with a good finish like that on consecutive days.

Does the term "over-racing" mean nothing to you? ;-)
Mick HanneyJan 15 2008, 12:18pmSounds like the pot calling the kettle black...

Regards,
Rene BorgJan 15 2008, 1:33pmHehe, it was meant in jest as well!

A friend of mine once said: "You can only slag people about flaws you posses yourself!" He also said: "So can slag everyone about anything." Nice lad he was...