Irish Mountain
Running Association

Circuit of Glenmacnass

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Una CoghlanJun 5 2008, 12:04amHi Niamh, I am free to help if you still need it. (I live not too far away just outside Roundwood). Una
NIamh Ni CholmainJun 5 2008, 9:22amThanks Una,
That would be great.
Can you email me on niamh.nicholmain@arup.com and I will contact you.

Niamh
Aoife NagleJun 13 2008, 11:36amHi All

I know the course is unmarked but I was just wondering if there is a trail to follow or would I have to have completed the course before in order to not get lost?

Thanks a mil

Aoife
Mick HanneyJun 13 2008, 11:49amHi,
The race scores a 10 difficulty for various reasons. Only 3 people in last years race for instance completed the course in under 2 hours. This is not a marked course and the trails are few and far between, so it is not a run to do without either having recced it before or being confident in your own navigational ability. The latter is mitigated if the weather is fine and you can see from peak to peak the line of travel, but if the weather closes in it can be a very different story completely and you can very easily go astray.
Regards,
Mick
Aoife NagleJun 13 2008, 11:56amThanks for the info Mick.

Much appreciated.

Aoife
Niamh Ni CholmainJun 13 2008, 12:00pmThis race is on open mountain. There will be a relatively small crowd (20-30), so it is very common to lose sight of those in front and behind you (ie. following someone is not an option).

The Glenmacnass Race is long and tough. It will be completely unmarked and on open mountain, so runners are expected to bring their own map and compass and navigate. The navigation is quite difficult. Even in good weather, it is easy to go wrong if you are not very familiar with the area. In poor weather, navigation for this race is very difficult, and you would have to rely on compass work.

The race takes in 3 peaks - Brockagh, Tonelegee and Scarr. There are paths to follow for some of the run, but not for all. I don't know you, but I really would not recommend racing Glenmacnass without a prior recce unless you are an extremely confident navigator/mountaineer.

If you are interested in starting these unmarked races, I usually do a recce of them before the race date and you would be welcome to come along. I usually put a post on the forum in advance.
Aoife NagleJun 13 2008, 12:08pmThanks Niamh
Aisling CoppingerJun 14 2008, 2:49pmI'm travelling down to this race in the morning if anyone wants a lift. Leaving Knocklyon area about ten, stopping in Sandyford on the way, then onto the M50.
James McFaddenJun 15 2008, 11:40pmHere's a few photos from the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27675236@N07/sets/72157605633984029/
Rene BorgJun 16 2008, 11:08amHi James,

The link doesn't work for me, does anyone else have this problem?

Could be the folder not open to public, one some sites that needs to be enabled?
James McFaddenJun 16 2008, 11:58amHey Rene,

I've just made sure the photos are publicly viewable. Hope it's working now. If not, maybe try searching for 'Circuit of Glenmacnass' on the Flickr homepage. It should come up with the tagged photos.

Let me know if there are any other problems.

Cheers.
Aisling CoppingerJun 16 2008, 2:12pmThe link works fine for me, thanks for the photos James. I don't see the results though or was the results page just created to put a link to the photos?
Mick HanneyJun 16 2008, 8:11pmGreat pictures. Its not fair that someone can jog this one out for fun taking pictures and still stay in there with the main body of runners :-)
Greg CahillJun 16 2008, 8:41pmThanks to all involved in organising a great race,I have been bitten by the race bug badly cant wait to do another one.Does anyone know how to attach the photos to their name.My race number was 399.