Irish Mountain
Running Association

Annacurra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyDec 27 2008, 10:11pmHi,

An idea proposed to me today for the Annacurra winter league run is this...

As the downhill section is quite fast and very runnable and a stretch of it is over the 1 mile distance, the intention is to mark out a mile distance thus giving people the opportunity to self-time themselves on a good fast downhill mile stretch - from a start stake to an end stake. A race within a race almost. Obviously people with gps watches doing splits in miles could do something similar but staking out a mile would present the same consistent stretch for people to self-time. It could be the opportunity you wanted to break a particular mile barrier - 5 mins, 6 mins, whatever.

This is but a bit of fun, but it'd be interesting if we can collate those mile splits at the end of the race. Be honest now...

Regards,

Mick
Mick HanneyDec 28 2008, 4:12pmStaked out a mile starting from the main downhill on the proposed route.
Garmin thread with elevation change etc.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7340655
Mick HanneyDec 29 2008, 7:16pmPhotos showing most of the proposed route. Can't promise conditions as nice on the day!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157611381852989/
Francis CosgraveDec 30 2008, 1:48pmGreat idea Mike,

Look forward to reading the race report. How steep is the hill?
Mick HanneyDec 30 2008, 1:57pmCheers. Hill isn't very high. The route has a total of 358 metres of ascent in total. The elevation change on the mile section in question is 129 metres.
Mick HanneyDec 31 2008, 4:26pmI did a training run on the route today and I tried out the mile section. Ran it in 4:53.17 A marker thats set to be beaten.
Has BeenJan 12 2009, 10:38amThe downhill mile record was lowered to 4:44 on Saturday last.
Who'll reduce it next?
Mick HanneyJan 18 2009, 8:24pmHi,
After the success of today's 1st winter league race in Howth we're all under pressure to reproduce a smooth event. These things cannot happen without the valuable support of volunteers. I'm looking for additional volunteers for Annacurra. Contact me please at mick dot hanney at ireland dot com or on the phone no. listed for this event. Please state if you intend running or not. Non running volunteers would be welcome. A laptop proficient person too would be a good addition to the team.

In addition, if anyone was interested in a recce of the course that could be easily arranged. Its a bit drier underfoot than Howth by the way.

Thanks.
Mick
Paul O'ConnellFeb 12 2009, 9:01amHi,

Has anybody been at the race location this week. I'm just wondering about the amount of snow/ice that is still there - i'm assuming alot. I assume the race goes on regardless of conditions?

P
Rene BorgFeb 12 2009, 9:14amIt's up to the Race Director to make a call as close to the time of the race as he can, on calling off the race if conditions are deemed too dangerous. Race Directors, of course, would often consult the Committee if they are in doubt.

Obviously, this doesn't look likely at all at this time, but the factors that would be looked at would be whether or not it would be possible for anyone to make the journey, and, more importantly, if going ahead would mean IMRA could be judged as having acted irresponsibly should an insurance case arise related to an incident caused by the weather conditions.

Weather conditions like last weekend would probably have caused the race to be called off. But I managed to drive home yesterday, and although all the upper lying tracks are still covered in snow in most of Wicklow, driving is safe enough and even the minor low-lying roads are cleared of snow and most ice around the Rathdrum/Aughrim/Ashford/Roundwood area. Keep checking back on the website though, just in case.
Mick HanneyFeb 12 2009, 9:25amI'll recce the route this evening and report back but you can assume its going ahead. On Monday last while there was still some snow on the trails they were still runnable.
Gareth LittleFeb 13 2009, 10:20amHi all,

Just want to confirm that this race will still be going ahead even though there is a chance that the mountain could have a lot of snow on it?

Many Thx,

Gareth
Gareth LittleFeb 13 2009, 10:23amSorry I read the forum form the top! I have my answer now,

Thx,

Gareth
Audrey PowerFeb 13 2009, 1:11pmHi All,

So is the race confirmed for the go ahead?

Thanks,

Audrey
Rene BorgFeb 13 2009, 1:40pmHi Audrey, for the moment conditions are fine and the race will go ahead.

However, the Race Director can cancel at the last minute if conditions should suddenly warrant this. We cannot provide 100% confirmation that the race will go ahead, although at this stage, looking at the present status and weather forecast, it's probably around 99% likely.

In other words, unless a blizzard strikes tomorrow you should be safe to drive down, but conditions worsen when you arrive to an extent that will force the Race Director to cancel, please show him every support in his decision.

-Rene
Mick HanneyFeb 13 2009, 2:18pmEverything is in place for a good race tomorrow. Lots of parking in Annacurra village beside church. Please park in the demarked car parking spaces provided.

We'll welcome a small contribution each to the local school development fund for use of their facilities for registration and parking. A collection box will be at registration.

With luck we'll have a competitive team event too with club runners expected from Wexford and Wicklow to add to the usual suspects. Cheers.
Mick HanneyFeb 13 2009, 4:07pmDiarmuid has done a fine job on the marking for tomorrow's race. I ventured over some of the route on the MTB and sadly (or happily depending on your viewpoint) there wasn't snow to be seen. I only recce'd about 60% of the route however. The downhill trail is completely clear so there is a clear mile section where if you have your stopwatch, you can time possibly your fastest ever mile!
Ian McGrathFeb 14 2009, 2:01pmMick,
Just wanted to say a very big well done to you and everybody who supported you in making today's race a fantastic event. Really enjoyable route and conditions were fab too. You have set the bar high for future events!
Gary Condon (KC)Feb 14 2009, 3:12pmJust to echo Ian's post, great organization and a great race. Lovely snow-capped views from the top. Missed the mile markers, but that was probably my own fault, as I had my head down following in others footsteps. Congrats and thanks!
Gareth LittleFeb 14 2009, 5:27pmGreat race today, very well organised and great conditions too!

Many thx to all!!
Keith LaceyFeb 14 2009, 9:46pmWell done Mick, well organized and fully appreciate the effort in getting the trail up to scratch.

As my running mate Gary Condon said to me after the race, some parts where we had to go through or around xmas trees and then suddenly in the snow felt like something from "The Chronicles of Narnia" :)
Rene BorgFeb 15 2009, 7:02pmTeam results for this event is now up.
Eamonn HodgeFeb 15 2009, 8:36pmReally enjoyed the race. Can anybody tell me at what distance did the "self-timed mile" start.

E.g. 5.832 km.

That way I can look through my Garmin records and see how fast I ran the following mile.
Shay FoodyFeb 15 2009, 9:40pmEamonn - I hit the lap button at 5.86km, which would imply a finish distance at 7.47km.
cormac o ceallaighFeb 16 2009, 7:48am
Well done Mick and all the volunteers , in organising a super race.Great example of what can be achieved when a runner takes on the task to pioneer a new race route and organise the set up etc.It was a part of Wicklow i had never run before.
Eamonn HodgeFeb 16 2009, 2:18pmThanks for that Shay!