Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sorrell Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Bronagh CheethamJun 16 2009, 2:05pm
Need some more volunteers for Sorrell Hill please. register online,post a message here or contact me at: bronagh.gavigan@mercer.com or 087 4191511
thanks
Bronagh CheethamJun 22 2009, 9:20amhi
Need a first aider for Sorrell hill and a couple more volunteers please. Thanks to all how have volunteered so far.
Many thanks, Bronagh
Bronagh CheethamJun 22 2009, 5:13pmthanks to all the extra volunteers signed up today, have enough now with the exception of a first aider. Cheers
Patrick LennonJun 23 2009, 9:50pmHi
I am just wondering if it is possible to join in this race - I haven't joined IMRA yet or even done a Mountain run - but keen to as i am doing Gaeforce this year.

Will I get by with just regular asics trainers on this course - have yet to invest in trail shoes.

tnx
John ShielsJun 23 2009, 10:00pmHi Patrick,
Just turn up and register before the race and you can run. It will be 17euro as its your fist race, 10 euros for the year and 7 for the race.
regular asics trainers will be OK to start with and if you like it you can ask around about what t get. You'll find plenty of shoe nerds in the pub afterward.
John
Patrick LennonJun 23 2009, 10:59pmthanks for that John - looking forward to it.

PL
Bronagh CheethamJun 29 2009, 9:16amHi, If anyone happens to be in the area of Newtown Mt Kennedy and would be in a position to collect a key from Coillte offices in time for Sorrell Hill race, would you give me a call please on 087 4191511. Much appreciated, thanks Bronagh
Bronagh CheethamJun 29 2009, 9:24amKey sorted, thanks!
Bronagh CheethamJun 29 2009, 9:43amApologies, request re-opened - if anyone around to collect key, let me know, tks
Bronagh CheethamJun 29 2009, 2:02pmCAKE SALE: Ive been asked to advertise that there will be a selection of cakes and choc treats available for sale directly after the race with the reminder being brought to the pub. all donations for sale of goods go to support sponsorhip for cancer research. for more details see www.tritobeatcancer.com
Declan O'DwyerJun 29 2009, 5:15pmHi.

The description of the race implies it is an uphill only race, but the arrows on the map suggest it is up and down. Can somebody confirm please

thanks
Rene BorgJun 29 2009, 7:15pmHi Declan, the race description is a bit out of date alright, but this is the traditional Sorrell Hill route and is indeed up and down (but the same way).

Uphill races, being the exception, can generally be expected to be called out specifically as such and the Powerscourt Uphill is so far the only such Leinster League race that has been run.
Declan O'DwyerJun 29 2009, 11:14pmThanks Rene, dont think I could have faced 9k uphill
Chris CaulfieldJun 30 2009, 2:09pmHi, just heard that the Blessington outdoor shop 'Outdoor Evolution' will be open til 7.00pm this Wed evening to cater especially for hill runners coming to the area. Situated above Dunnes Stores in the middle of Blessington town. Very competitive prices on offer at the moment.
Sinéad RocheJun 30 2009, 3:14pmThat's a great initiative. Let's all go there and stock up on our gear :-)

I think it would be even better if they stayed open until 9:30 so we can stock up our gear after the race.

I wonder how long it takes to get from Blessington to get to the race registration. Anybody know?
Caitlín BentJun 30 2009, 3:46pmSinead, normally it would take 10 minutes approx. but with high commuter traffic these days(as experienced last year) try to avoid Blessington by turning off to the left about 1 kilometer or less before Blessington, if approaching from Dublin.
Cait.
Sinéad RocheJun 30 2009, 4:07pmThanks Caitlín, that is really helpful to know. I appreciate that.

On second thoughts, I think I will skip visiting the outdoor store before the race - Instead, I prefer to give the support to all those willing and dedicated volunteers who have offered up some of their time to make this race happen. Thanks Bronagh and Co :-) I must get there early.
Paul CullenJul 1 2009, 3:14pmI'm looking for a lift to tonight's race, from town or the end of the luas line (or other suggestion) as late as feasible.

Any offers?

I have tried to carpool (Sean Hassett are you out there?) but haven't received a confirmatory email, so I assume Sean hasn't either. Anyone know whether the system is working or not?

Thanks

Paul (pcullen (at) iol (dot)ie)
Paul CullenJul 1 2009, 3:33pmI'm looking for a lift to tonight's race, from town or the end of the luas line (or other suggestion) as late as feasible.

Any offers?

I have tried to carpool (Sean Hassett are you out there?) but haven't received a confirmatory email, so I assume Sean hasn't either. Anyone know whether the system is working or not?

Thanks

Paul (pcullen (at) iol (dot)ie)
Edel McCarronJul 1 2009, 3:48pmHi, im a first timer here, have ran a few mini marathons etc, but nothing like this, do you think a newbie with no training would be able to complete this on this terrain wiht just ordinary running shoes?

many thanks

Edel
Rene BorgJul 1 2009, 3:48pmHi Paul, yes the system isn't working unfortunately, if anyone can help you out with Sean's phone number, you'd probably best be in contact with him if he isn't checking the website.
Jason KehoeJul 1 2009, 3:55pmI would say that if you can comfortably run 10km and still have a bit of energy in you afterwards then you will probably be ok to run/jog/walk it.

The hills are quite dry at the moment but there will probably be a few boggy patches with the rain showers that are happening. Your normal runners will be fine but probably a bit mucky afterwards. There are all standards of runners at the wednesday night races.

See you at the summit!
Paul CullenJul 1 2009, 4:12pmThanks Rene

So does anyone have Sean Hassett's number?

Or can offer me a lift today from town/Tallaght, etc?
Kevin O'RiordanJul 1 2009, 4:15pmHe has his phone number on his runner profile. (You might need to login to MyImra to see it).

-Kevin.
Edel McCarronJul 1 2009, 4:16pmThanks Jason

Paul, I will be leaving from town, I live in summerhil if that suits?
Hoping to leave at 6 at the latest.
Edel
Sean HassettJul 1 2009, 4:19pmHi Paul

My number is 086-2327274.

Beechwood Luas stop is only two minutes walk away.

Edel McCarronJul 1 2009, 4:38pmThanks Jason

Edel
Edel McCarronJul 1 2009, 4:40pmThanks Jason

Edel
Paul CullenJul 1 2009, 5:00pmEdel,
I've made an arrangement with Sean, but thanks for the offer.

Paul
Edel McCarronJul 1 2009, 5:12pmGrand paul, not sure how i managed to write so many replies
Rene BorgJul 2 2009, 9:51amClub results are now up in the Race Report section and overall results updated on the Leinster League home page.

Photos won't be up until tomorrow.
Jason KehoeJul 2 2009, 3:18pmUnofficial results are up of the top 25 men and top 10 lady descenders on the night. You can find it under race reports.

Cheers,
Jason
Paul NolanJul 2 2009, 3:58pmThanks for the splits Jason. From only a glance it appears you missed out Hugh McLindon, a quicker then average mountain goat.
It would be very interested to see such a downhill split for the forthcoming Sugarloaf race if a volunteer could be found...
Rene BorgJul 4 2009, 4:05pmPhotos from this event have now been uploaded. A good few had to be discarded due to blur, so apologies to anyone I missed because of this.