Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rosemary MonahanApr 9 2009, 4:01pmIt seems that the links to the descriptions of legs 1,2,4,5 and 6 on the Wicklow Way Relay page are broken. Does anyone have a copy of the leg descriptions?

Joe LalorApr 21 2009, 9:30pmAll links to WWR page fix now (I hope). Note end to leg 7 will not be as described, more shortly.
Joe LalorApr 27 2009, 8:39pmWeek 1 Briefing

The summer hillrunning season has started so it must be time to start thinking about getting ready for the Wicklow Way Relay. As most of you know the WWR is a fundraising event for our Junior Squad. As in previous years there is a limit of 30 teams at €15 a runner, but a minimum per team is set at €60 (even if only 2/3 runners)

Get your entry form in: Entry forms can be downloaded from www.imra.ie with details of appropriate fees and return address.

Start training: Over the coming weeks build up your distance, meet others doing the WWR and discuss tactics, and maybe get on a team or pick up new team members.

Consider maps and guides:
Maps: 1. To cover the full route Discovery Series OS 56 and 62 are needed, scale 1:50000

2. The Harvey map of Wicklow (1:30000) has excellent colour definition and is most recent. It covers Prince Williams Seat to Lugnaquilla, stages 2 to 5

3. The largest scale map available at 1:25000 is Pat Healy’s map of Glendalough and Glenmalure (healyp@eircom.net)covers stages 4 to 6

Guides:1. Wicklow Way Map Guide EastWest Mapping

2. The complete Wicklow Way O'Brien Press

3. OS Wayfarer Series Wicklow Way OS

As usual over the next few weeks I will issue a WWR briefing each Monday, this should answer any question anyone new to hillrunning might have. This week I wish to confine myself to three important issues.

1. The closing date is the 29th May or on the receipt of the 30th entry (with fee). The WW can accommodate more than 30 runners but the minor roads and lanes we use cannot deal with the traffic generated by 30+ teams. Some regulars were late in entering last year and the door was held open, not this year, you have been warned.
2. Team captains sign that they (and their team) will abide by the rules. One rule that is obviously being flaunted is the one that states “all runners will have previously done their leg”. It is easy to see what happens, a runner falls out and someone from the office or club is press ganged into running without any knowledge of the event or the route. This is unfair to the runner involved and to the organisers.
3. Most runners treat the WWR as a fun event but it is also a competitive inter club event. Bearing both those points in mind there is a slight rule change. As usual substituting runners is allowed up to race start (as long as they are registered IMRA runners and know their route) but once the race starts runners or running order cannot be changed. To spell this out if a runner misses his or her handover another team member cannot run in their place and the team remain competitive.

Joe LalorApr 27 2009, 8:49pmIf reading forum messages from "norply emails" see site for full WWR week i briefing, full message did not transmit
Conor Mc NickleApr 28 2009, 2:36pm
Links to leg descriptions for WW go to a page with no information on it. Anyone else see this?

Shane O'RourkeApr 28 2009, 3:13pmYep, that link isn't working. Joe/Rene can you have a look at this please?
Rene BorgApr 28 2009, 4:40pmHi gents,

I'll look into this this eve. The website was transferred to a new server yesterday which could potentially be involved in the issue. I'll let you know once I've done some more research tonight.
Joe LalorApr 28 2009, 6:14pmLink is working for me, dont know what the problem is.
Let us see if Rene can do something tonight. Link to rules is broken, I took down file last night to alter it and having difficulty remaking it.

On a completely different point. The nominated map for the Dublin Peaks race and NC1 is the new EastWest map of the Dublin Mountains. If anyone wants me to order them one (10E + 1.45 posting) email me at jlalor(at)eircom.net before next monday night
Joe LalorMay 4 2009, 6:43pmWWR Week 2

At this stage you should be giving serious consideration to your team selection, each member matched to the distance and terrain of their legs, and training sessions organised (forms at www.imra.ie). If not you are behind schedule, so you better get cracking for the limited number of team places available.
Team leaders should be aware of one of the rules which states that each runner must be familiar with their leg of the relay, the best way to do this is to do a training run on the appropriate route. This rule is being flaunted wholesale. There is no desire to disqualify teams but substitute runners are being organised overnight on the weekend of the event. In many cases they have no idea of the nature of the event or knowledge of the route. This puts their safety at risk and can greatly inconvenience the stage end marshall. In picking a team some thought should be given to subs. if required and runners should be asked to make a commitment to the training and preparation required not just “I will have a go if I am doing nothing else on the 6th of June”.

The last few years saw the event won and lost on the changeovers. The logistics of getting your runners in place in time should not be underestimated. Don’t leave it to the day to find out how to get to these places, give thought to travel arrangement for incoming and outgoing runner.. Last years results, again on site, will give very good guide lines of times for each leg.

If you have not finalised your team yet decide how competitively you wish to take the event. There are 7 ways of entering a team. Teams may have any number from two to eight. As the numbers get larger there are restrictions (see rules on website www.imra.ie) If you decide to go with a smaller team of elite runners it is imperative that you have a team that can complete the course in 9 hours.
You may decide to go for a team of eight, our preferred option, since as a fundraiser (to help send a junior squad to the World Trophy), this maximises our take. The event has been structured to offer a leg for almost any reasonable fit runner. The legs vary from 21 km to 10km and the terrain varies from open mountain to country roads and lanes so it is important to match runners with a leg of suitable distance and terrain rather than with the time of day that might suit somebody.

Could I repeat something from last week that may have got lost in transmission. This year once the race starts (7am) no change can be made to team members OR running order for the team to remain competitive.

Cora McCormackMay 6 2009, 8:14amHi,

I am still unable to access the entry form, I have two teams that i would like to enter and dont want to miss the cut off, is it possible for someone to email me the entry form?

Kind regards,
Cora
Joe LalorMay 6 2009, 9:58amCora (and others) trying to download enrty form.
There is a problem with the site at the moment which we are trying to fix. In the meanwhile if you send your email address to jlalor(at)eircom.net I will send you an entry form. I hope to have some forms available at the pub tonight atfer the race also.
Joe LalorMay 12 2009, 8:41pmWicklow Way Week Three Briefing

Team entries are starting to pile in, don’t be left out, get your entries in.
Entries close after receipt of 30th entry.
Consider the following points.

Logistics: Each team will be expected to have their own support crew or supply their own logistics.

Changeover: Know where the change over places are, well in advance. If you are using WW guide books (covered in week 1 note, it is on the site on forum page) the maps may not extend wide enough to cover the access roads needed. You will need to research this.

Transport: Transport to and from changeover will be an important item to solve early on.

For teams with larger number of runners there must be some sizable effort made to reduce the number of cars needed. The stage ends have been picked for suitability for parking a few cars but all are in very rural areas and we would like to keep our intrusion to a minimum so could car pooling be practiced where possible. There are a few particularly sensitive areas for traffic which I will discuss in a later briefing

Water, Food & Clothing: If as hoped 6th June is a fine day plenty of water on most stages will be vital. It is safest that each runner will carry all the water they require for their stage and their support will have replacement food and water at stage end. It will not be possible for the organisers to supply either of these at stage end. Stages 1 to 6 are across open mountains and suitable clothing will need to be worn or carried. Remember that the weather forecast cannot be relied upon and that the weather can change dramatically during the course of a 9-hour event. Therefore all runners should carry a long-sleeved top and rainproof jacket.

Stuart ScottMay 16 2009, 12:50pmAnother slow team seeking 2 vets! Ideally, for Legs 7 and 8 but if you'd prefer another leg, that's fine too. We're a mixture of mountain runners and orienteers.

If you're interested, please contact me at scottst1 at gmail dot com.

Thanks,

Stuart.
gerry bradyMay 16 2009, 1:38pmClonliffe have a recce of leg 6 on Sunday morning starting at Drumgoff at 10:00 if anyone wants to come along. Easy steady pace on an out and back run.
Paul JoyceMay 16 2009, 3:48pmGerry (and anyone else doing a recce of leg 6 May 17th),

I did a recce of leg 6 on Thursday, there's signs up saying a motocross event is taking place on the Carrickashane mountain area, so this section will be closed to the public from 10am-5pm, this Sunday.
Paul JoyceMay 16 2009, 3:49pmGerry (and anyone else doing a recce of leg 6 May 17th),

I did a recce of leg 6 on Thursday, there's signs up saying a motocross event is taking place on the Carrickashane mountain area, so this section will be closed to the public from 10am-5pm, this Sunday.
Conor Mc NickleMay 18 2009, 1:37pmHi,

I missed the recce of leg 6 over the weekend so am looking for anyone else who is interested in doing this at about 10am on Sunday 24th.

Conor
Jim FitzharrisMay 18 2009, 2:17pmHi Conor, I have to run leg 6 and I need to do a recce. I cannot make Sunday unfortunately. How are you fixed on Saturday? Rather than clutter up the forum, you can contact me directly at jim dot fitzharris (at) smurfitkappa dot com. Cheers, Jim.
Conor Mc NickleMay 18 2009, 3:01pmSorry, the Sunday is the only day i have available.
Joe LalorMay 18 2009, 8:18pmWeek Four Briefing. Few places left

At this stage of the run-in to WWR I have over the years said a few words about parking
Before I deal with the issue in detail could I make the following point? The future of this popular event without exaggerate depends on our parking behaviour particularly at Iron Bridge and The Derry River. I will be gracious and assume that those who have not been following my instructions have failed to see the directions given. So could team leaders make sure all, particularly new comers, to the event see and take heed of the following

Most of the WW is in remote rural areas. We try to restrict our impact on the local population. We can do this by keeping the number of cars to as few as possible and parking correctly.

There is not a major parking issue in Kilmasogue (although I would not advise leaving a car overnight).

At Curtlestown there is limited parking. Please do not block in an already parked car or park just outside the parking area as there are two bad blind bends, rather find safe parking and walk back.

At Old Bridge there is a new house at the cross, however beyond the cross towards Lough Dan there are two areas for walkers parking with about 5 minutes walk back to the cross.

Glendalough. A reminder that the change over here is now on the Green Road. Please keep the entrance to the interpretative centre clear.

The parking at Iron Bridge is very tight. No VANS please, I have mentioned this before. We must expect the worst (as happened four years ago) a timber truck and trailer needed to get through

At the Derry River due to persistent bad parking we lost access (and local good will) to the bridge area and leg 7 had to be extended. As last year parking is in Crossbridge only. Absolutely no parking at Derry River bridge (even for spectating) and no cars up narrow laneway that runners take to handover. If you don’t understand these instructions find out and don’t be counted among the few who put last years event in jeopardy. As I explained in more details last year leg 7 is across private land and this can be withdrawn at any time and is dependent on these agreed parking arrangements being followed

Dirmuid O'ColmainMay 19 2009, 9:23amSorry to be dense Joe, and I suppose I have had my eyes closed reading some of the information about the WWR; but I can't find any description of where the new handover from leg 7 end to leg 8 start is. I presume it is about 800m further on from the old changeover point, on the narrow tarmac road before turning left into the field.

From the OS map (sheet 62) I see where the Crossbridge area for parking is (west about 1.3k or so from the Derry River bridge towards Hacketstown).
Joe LalorMay 19 2009, 6:11pmDiarmuid and anyone else confused. A description of the handover at end of leg 7 can be found on WWR page route descriptions leg 7, grid Ref. 017746. However the more important point is that nobody attempts to drive to this point, from either end.

The parking is in the hamlet of Crossbridge GR 013749 and runners walk the 500m to the handover. I cannot stress the importance of complying with these arrangements strongly enough
Joe LalorMay 19 2009, 6:21pmJust noticed (see last post) route 7 ending on '09 page has not got the correct ending. However leg 7 on '08 page is correct. Will have to get this fixrd
Cora McCormackMay 21 2009, 3:51pmHello,

Just wondering if there would be any problem leaving car keys with race marshals on race day? Currently finalising logistics and it would help if the runner leaving could leave the key for the runner arriving, so that the latter can bunny hop the car down to the next stage? This will really be required around the mass start stage.

Thanks in advance,
Cora

Joe LalorMay 21 2009, 11:17pmTeam numbers nearly at 30 limit. I expect morning post to reach it. If entry is not in post please dont proceed with it. I can not guarantee place for any team received after w/e.
I have acknowledged all accepted entries (one emailaddress was hard to read and may not have received this acknowledgenment.)
Rene BorgMay 22 2009, 9:32amHi all

There'll be the following recce of Leg 3 and 4 tomorrow:

Saturday 23rd – Leg 3 and 4 (total length 18km, 10 and 8)
- Meet at Glendalough at 10:30 (Jimmy and I will be there)
- Leg 3: Meet at Lough Tay at 11:00
- Leg 4: Meet at Oldbridge at 12:00 (if you only want to run one leg, let me know and we’ll see if we can get a car placed here)
- Arrival in Glendalough around 13:00
Jim FitzharrisMay 22 2009, 11:35amHi all,

Would anyone have contact details for Zoe Melling? She has a new email address and the mobile number I have for her is wrong.

Please contact me privately at jim dot fitzharris (at) smurfitkappa dot com or else on 086-809 0525.

Cheers,

Jim.
Rosie LenehanMay 22 2009, 12:27pmHi Joe,
I posted my entry form yesterday evening but you might not get it till Monday. Is this too late?
Rosie
Jim FitzharrisMay 22 2009, 12:45pmWhere are the results of the WWR 2008? They do not appear to be on the website.
Rene BorgMay 22 2009, 12:48pmJim,

All the results are in Gerry's race report: http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/report/id/501/

-Rene
Mick HanneyMay 23 2009, 11:59amOn leg 5 in the downhill section approaching Glenmalure there is tree felling happening on the route. There are signs up for a diversion saying the route is closed. I ignored the diversion this morning (so don't know where it brings you). The section after the closed signs is choc full of timber stacks and a tractor which blocks the path. By the looks of it this is a long term piece of work happening. Need guidance on whether we continue on the WW here (ignoring the signs) or take the diversion?
Adrian TuckerMay 23 2009, 2:49pmOn 1st of May, a sign was put up by Coillte stating that tree felling would be in progress from 1st May to 1st June and that the alternative route should be used (this route brings you into Drumgoff but via Mullacor and then down along the 'Ballybraid race' route in reverse).
If the sign said; 1st June, then who knows, the route might be clear by the 6th.
Ronan HickeyMay 24 2009, 11:53amJust a quick message for anyone, like myself, running Leg 8. I recce'd the route last night and there is a (small) mistake in the directions. In Section 5 it should state that the farm house is on your right and you should turn left on the forest road (not the other way around). Might stop a stream of runners running into the farmyard and annoying the owner!

That Muskeagh boreen is pretty boggy btw! Hopefully it'll have dried up by the day.
emerald 007May 25 2009, 2:07pmIf anybody else is intending on doing a recce of leg 7 next saturday 30th (around 11 ish), i'd be interested to hear from you, since it might be easier to car pool from/to the start/finish points.

I found this link to the route. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.mb?episodePk.pkValue=7375388
Rene BorgMay 25 2009, 2:26pmEmerald 007, please note that we recommend board users post under their real name as we've had negative experiences with the use of aliases on the forum.

That said, I plan to do a run of leg 7 this weekend and while I haven't decided on the day yet, keep me in mind as I may be able to join you.

I know the route and took us about 1:55 to jog it last year, we weren't taking it super-handy though, so booking in 2h - 2:15 may be a good way to plan for those doing this recce (or about 15-20 minutes slower than your race time).
Rene BorgMay 25 2009, 3:13pmIn this the Age of Garmin, I thought I'd share the measurements I've made the current legs. I've rounded up to one digit.

I'm missing Legs 2, 6 and 8, so if someone wants to chip in we can collate this and update the website information accordingly.

Leg 1: 14.4km, 556m ascent
Leg 2:
Leg 3: 8.0km, 126m ascent
Leg 4: 9.6km, 363m ascent
Leg 5: 13.6km, 571m ascent
Leg 6:
Leg 7: 21.2km, 651m ascent
Leg 8:
Paul JoyceMay 25 2009, 5:15pmLeg 8: 10k: 283 ascent, 361 descent.
Paul JoyceMay 25 2009, 6:40pm^ from running the leg, that elevation/decline seem too high- its relatively flat- so anyone who has a more accurate Garmin, bash ahead.
Rene BorgMay 25 2009, 7:42pmHi Paul, it may not be your Garmin. The standard Garmin software and the new Garmin Connect currently show heavily inflated ascent figures.

Only the the Motionbased website who are partnering with Garmin provide correct measurements at the moment. But you have to activate a feature called "MB Gravity" otherwise its also inflated.
Joe LalorMay 25 2009, 8:02pmWWR Week 5

WWR entry,having been over subscribed is now closed. I have acknowledged all entries received and if you have not heard from me (or my Leinster weekend deputy Gerry Brady) your entry has not arrived and will not make the cut.

If you have been following the forum you will have seen that there are reports of route disruptions and inaccuracies in leg descriptions. I will try to address the issues raised during the week but fear there is little that can be done with logs across the route, I dont expect there will be an felling actually taking place on a Saturday.

It is important (particularly for team captains) to stress that all participants must be registered IMRA runners by the day of the race. This just involves singing a 2009 IMRA membership form (no extra fee) but no runner can take place without this for insurance reasons. It is also a requirement that runners are familiar with the route of their leg of the event. Finally for this week could I refer runners back to earlier parts of this tread for vital parking arrangements?
Vivian O'GormanMay 25 2009, 10:00pm
I am looking for a runner for Leg 8

Any takers text me on: 087 4150398
Keith LaceyMay 25 2009, 11:46pmSince the entries are closed I have a few runners from my partial team I was hoping to get included who are available to run for anybody.

I've taken Vivian's request above so if anybody else is looking for runners let me know - ring or text 0872794587
Paul JoyceMay 27 2009, 12:02pmThis GPS route of the WW from Marlay to Glenmalure was just posted on Boards.ie, just be careful and watch out for the couple of points the relay differs from the route.

http://irelandbygps.com/treks/WicklowWay/MarlayGlenmalure/
kevin englishMay 27 2009, 2:16pmIm doing a reccee of leg1 next week if anyone wants to join me just email kev08765@yahoo.com
cheers.Kevin
Keith LaceyMay 29 2009, 12:17amPaul Joyce,
Do you have the gps file or a link for leg 8 handy?
This'll be my leg.
Pol O'MurchuMay 29 2009, 1:31pmNot quite as exciting as some of the other events going on at the weekend but if anyone interested there are a couple of us doing a recce of leg 1 and 2 at the weekend. Nothing solid in place yet but will most likely be leg one sat and 2 on sun. Perhaps earlyish say 10 - 10.30 but nothing set in stone. if anyone interested in joining let me know 087 1262850 or email pol@hlp.ie.
Paul JoyceMay 29 2009, 1:34pmLink to route of leg 8:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/wicklow/212124360032482915
Rene BorgMay 29 2009, 4:18pmThere'll be a recce of Leg 7 tomorrow, meet at Tinahely at 10:30.

There'll also be a recce of Leg 6 Sunday, meet at Glenmalure Lodge at 8:45.

Please contact me at rene dot borg at imra dot ie for details if interested as the pace and recce format may not suit everybody (either way).
Keith LaceyMay 29 2009, 8:15pmThanks for the link Paul!
Eddie LenehanMay 29 2009, 8:20pmWe need a runner for leg 6. Any takers? Please email eddielenehan@hotmail.com or ring 0862210472. Thanks.
Amidou DembeleMay 30 2009, 1:21pmHi,
I am interested in a recce of leg 5 before the date of the race and looking for someone who plans to recce it too and can give me a lift.
Thanks,
Amidou.
Eddie LenehanMay 31 2009, 10:58amAnyone interested in leg 6 recce, Tuesday? 086 2210472
Kevin MageeMay 31 2009, 5:14pmDid a recce of Leg 1 on Saturday. Will the Leg on the actual relay be the same as the description on the forum.... At the top of the track at Kilmashogue, there is a Wicklow Way sign telling you to go right. However the leg description says that there is a sign 600 metres futher on from the top of the track, and at this sign, the description says to turn right up through the rocks and boulders. I think that sign is gone. Anyway we followed the description and went up through the rocks and boulders at which the start, there was a big felled tree.
Rene BorgMay 31 2009, 8:18pmGot a measurement of Leg 6 today. Have a measurement on Leg 2 due to come in later.

If Joe confirms that Leg 1 now follows the changed route due to the new Coillte paths that distance will change ever so slightly.

Leg 2:
Leg 6: 12.7km, 566m ascent
Leg 8: 10.0km, 283m ascent

Total: 89.5km, 3115m ascent (with Leg 2 stats still missing)
Pol O'MurchuMay 31 2009, 10:39pmLeg 2: 15.1km 763 ascent
Rene BorgJun 1 2009, 2:40pmHi Pol, what tool did you use for the ascents, it seems slightly inflated for the leg (as some of the tools have a tendency to do?).

If you have a gpx file you can send it to me and I'll try and run it through Motionbased. rene dot borg at imra dot ie.

Pol O'MurchuJun 1 2009, 4:05pmHi Rene,

I sent that over but it was returned as undelivered to me for some reason. I've sent it again and it seems to have gone now.

I use a forerunner 305 and upload to motion based which is usually accurate enough. Also have MB gravity set on. But have a look and see if you come up with different figures.
Rene BorgJun 1 2009, 4:26pmHi Pol, Motionbased should be reliable. When I run it through it gives a climb of 759m and 15.05km distance, and I've looked at the elevation chart and it does look correct as you drop down to 100m and have to make your way back to around 620m and that is not the one climb (you lose more altitude at other points).

Think I was just surprised that it had the highest elevation figure of all legs, but suppose it makes sense since its the second-longest.

So total stands at:

Leg 2: 15.1km, 759m ascent
Leg 6: 12.7km, 566m ascent
Leg 8: 10.0km, 283m ascent

Total: 104.1km, 3874m ascent
henny brandsmaJun 1 2009, 11:16pmAnybody interested in running leg 7 this saturday on Stuart Scotts team ,i was supposed to run this leg but unfortunately can 't run,if interested please call me on 087-7604825 ,or contact Stuart Scott or Mike Long.
Regards Henny.
henny brandsmaJun 1 2009, 11:16pmAnybody interested in running leg 7 this saturday on Stuart Scotts team ,i was supposed to run this leg but unfortunately can 't run,if interested please call me on 087-7604825 ,or contact Stuart Scott or Mike Long.
Regards Henny.
Marc BarrettJun 2 2009, 10:47amIs there a link to leg 6 online ?
Daragh MuldowneyJun 2 2009, 10:59amHi there,

Any teams out there short one man for the Wicklow Way relay? I've recently joined IMRA and I've done one run (Prince Williams Seat) but I'd be interested in getting running on Saturday if there's a team short.

Cheers,

Daragh
Enda WalshJun 3 2009, 12:38pmHi.
The Go Team team need a female for Saturday. Any standard at all are welcome - we are running for enjoyment and we have a real mix. IF anyone knows of one interested in running please contact me or any of the team members. My phone is 0 8 7 9 7 8 9 0 0 6.

Enda Walsh

Rest of the team is Berndt Heim, Jacqui Howard, Conor O'Meara, Justin O'Keefe, Liam Faulkner, Justin O'Keeffe
Paul O'ConnellJun 3 2009, 1:28pmWill their be team numbers for the race on saturday, or do we use our normal IMRA race number? I think it would be good to publish a list of teams that are running, so people can be aware of the other teams that are registered.
REne BorgJun 3 2009, 1:38pmHi Paul, normal IMRA numbers are not used for this event.

Your team captain will already have received the Team for 2009 so you can ask him/her for it until Joe publishes the final list of Team 09.
Joe LalorJun 3 2009, 1:54pmHi Paul, Teams are on WWR page on site

Non of the many changes and corrections sent to me this morning will appear on site until after race on Wed., hopefully most will be made by then.

Runners will not wear numbers on Sat. but it is important that they know their team number (see teams on WWR page) as this is what the handover marshall will be looking for not team name.
Mick McCannJun 4 2009, 1:07amI'm looking to get onto a team if anybody is looking for a runner.

Let me know by email mickmccann1@gmail. com or 0872794587
des o'neillJun 4 2009, 9:30amI am available for a leg if anybody is short a team member.

You can get me on 086 8354969.

Des
James HigginsJun 4 2009, 12:54pmHi,

I am running Leg 4 and am trying to sort out some logistics.

I am looking to get a lift from Glendalough to be back in Oldbridge by 10:00 in time to run my leg. I can reciprocate in the other direction if that helps.

My contact details are (086) 3263139 or james.p.higgins at aib.ie

Tks James
Declan CunninghamJun 4 2009, 1:17pmI did a recce on Leg 1 of the Wicklow Way Relay the other day and have a question about the following part of the route description which is in Glencullen Forest.

"After a couple of bends in the track you come to THREE tracks. Take the track to the RIGHT and keep going STRAIGHT all the way past the pillar on your LEFT. Just after the pillar the Wicklow Way signs send you down a very narrow track. We suggest you IGNORE these signs and continue STRAIGHT on the track you are on and it will eventually bring you into the forest."

I went the suggested route which follows a wide forest trail which peters out and turns into a heathery, overgrown barely visible trail that skirts the sw forest border. Does anyone know if this detour is actually allowed as it is off the Wicklow Way and also whether the other narrow yellow sandy route is better marked.

Thanks,
Declan(0866028639)
Roger DowleyJun 4 2009, 5:17pmHi There,

I'm a male sub 40 (last i heard anyway) and interested in doing a leg if a team's in need. i have experienced all legs. I'm at rogerdowley at hotmail dot com or alternatively on 0861713092.

Cheers
roger
Kieran CrowleyJun 4 2009, 5:23pmI'm looking to get onto a team if anybody is short a team member.

Let me know by email kieranacrowley@hotmail.com or 086 3613423
Des O'NeillJun 4 2009, 7:00pmI am available for a leg if anyone is short a team member. New to the sport and not a record breaker yet but will cover the ground in reasonable time.

You can get me at doneill at omnipro dot ie or 086 8354969 if you are interested.

Des
Pol O'MurchuJun 5 2009, 1:39pmTeam looking for runner for leg 3. Easy leg - 8k and not much ascent. Won't be winning any medals I'm afraid but if you just looking to run for fun contact either Pol or Stuart. pol@hlp.ie / scottst1@gmail.com
Stuart ScottJun 5 2009, 7:24pmJean O'Neill is available to run any leg at short notice if needed. She can be contacted at 8405448 and 086 0559509.

Thanks to those who responded to Pol's message earlier. Our team is ok again.
Keith LaceyJun 5 2009, 7:29pmHey Pol, sent you a mail there about a runner for you.
michael mccannJun 5 2009, 9:39pm I m available tomorrow will be training early run around Djouce mountain..
if neeeded.. contact 086 2625288.. mick
mick hanneyJun 6 2009, 9:18pmA link to a nice set of photos from today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157619341496490/
Mick HanneyJun 6 2009, 10:03pmHaving heard stories about people that went wrong today, and witnessed people running completely the wrong way off hills (on marked trails) today, could I suggest a straw poll is taken of team captains to ask them honestly how many of their team members had previously run or recced their leg? Its probably something you do ordinarily Joe, but its just a thought to cut out messing.

For instance, today, driving from Ironbridge to Crossbridge I saw an unidentified runner descend a fireroad (not the Wicklow way). They had taken a right turn too early on the mountain. Shouldn't have happened if runner had recced route. If runner hadn't spotted cars going in a particular direction they could have run to god knows where (or maybe they are still out there?)

If someone had recced their route but made an honest mistake these things can happen, but theres no excuse if you haven't gone over your route beforehand.
Lindie NaughtonJun 7 2009, 12:57pmPics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindie/sets/72157619293070673/.
Well done to all teams that finished on a filthy day - especially those that made not a single navigational error. Yes, I'm smiling smugly here!
Cormac O CeallaighJun 7 2009, 8:45pmA big massive thanks to Joe and Nora and their team of helpers for organising, yet again, what is undoubtedly the highlight of the summer mountain running calender. A superb and unique race.

The amount of planning, logistics and unseen backroom work makes it a huge undertaking.

Joe must have great patience in dealing with the volume of queries and points of clarification on the various legs.

You deserve great credit for organising and coordinating this event.
Well done and thank you so much for such a fantastic day.
Stuart ScottJun 7 2009, 11:58pmI'd like to echo those thanks to Joe, Nora and all the other marshalls and helpers. Again, it was an excellent race, very smoothly run and organised. A lot of runners seemed to enjoy the winter weather too!
Cora McCormackJun 8 2009, 8:36amDear All,

Fisrtly i would like to say a huge thank you to all the organisers at IMRA that put in a huge amount of work, time and planning to make Saturday's event a success, it was really well done and really enjoyable.

Secondly, one of our teams had one of those "missing" runners, and the individuals in question had completed their reccy runs, although they had done them with other people so on the day, when out there alone, things can look that bit different and they got a little confused. I completly understand the severity of runners getting lost on the WW and had drilled it into our runners, but on the day things can just go a bit differently that you'd expect and we were thankful that everyone managed to eventually complete their stages uninjured.

Thanks to the marshalls and everyone else that helped make Saturday such a success.

Looking forward to next year,
Cora
Ann TobinJun 8 2009, 2:22pmSome photos taken on Saturday here. Great event despite the weather.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runmeath/sets/72157619349452388/show/
Jacqueline O'HaganJun 8 2009, 2:46pmGood write up here.
http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=7557

Many thanks to Joe, Nora and volunteers for braving the elements all day to ensure the race could go ahead! Volunteers make IMRA! ;)
Rene BorgJun 9 2009, 11:05pmThe full confirmed results have now been posted. Links in the race report section.
Daragh MuldowneyJun 10 2009, 9:12amHi there,

Thanks a million to all involved in organising Saturdays race. I enjoyed it greatly.
Just a quick note on the results just posted. I'm from team 10 (Monster) and I completed leg 7 in 2 hours or under and I'm down for 141:25.
I haven't checked all our teams times but I can see John Craddock (a fellow monster) who did leg 6 is down for 94:19 and I'm pretty sure he was around the 2 hour mark. Maybe there is some mix up between these 2 times....?
It's not that important but it's always nice to know your times!
Thanks again.

Cheers,

Daragh
Paul JoyceJun 10 2009, 12:05pmMany thanks to Joe and his army of helpers from all at Boards AC. It was our first year to enter, was hugely enjoyable, and we're already fighting for team places for next year.
We written up leg-by-leg reports here, for anyone interested http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570665&page=9
Rene BorgJun 13 2009, 11:16amHi all, amended results for Leg 6 and Leg 7 have now been posted.

A few corrections had to be made which while they haven't changed the overall result has meant a few changes in the rankings for these two legs.
Brendan BuckJun 10 2011, 11:35pmHi, if anyone has a last minute drop out I can do any leg after lough Tay. Thanks, Brendan. 087-2615871.