Irish Mountain
Running Association

Snowdon International Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gerry BradyJun 19 2009, 7:48pmThe following teams have been selected for Snowdon, congratulations and good luck to everyone.

Manager
John O Connell (Metro St. Brigids)

Men
Vincent O Sullivan (Sli Cualann)
Richard Healy (Crusaders)
Keith Heary (St. Laurence O Toole)

Women
Angela Speight (Omagh Harriers)
Cathy McCourt (North Belfast)
Caroline Reid (Dunboyne)
Niamh O CeallaighJun 22 2009, 10:06pmSpace for 2/3 people in car heading for Snowdon. Going over on Friday, back on Sunday. Haven't booked ferry yet, but price around 80 / 90 euro each. Might work out cheaper to go as foot passengers and share a taxi / minibus to Llanberis from the boat on the far side.

Niamh

085 one 44 five 20 nine
niamh dot oceallaigh at arup dot com
james griffinJul 3 2009, 12:13ambest a luck keith do slot proud n best a luck ta ever1 els takin part
Gerry BradyJul 16 2009, 10:58pmBest of luck to the two development teams running in Snowdon on Saturday. Both teams are well balanced and should do well.
Gerry BradyJul 18 2009, 5:26pmPreliminary results from Snowdon up as race report. Congratulations to everyone taking part especially those in their first international.
cormac o ceallaighJul 19 2009, 8:28pmJust to echo Gerry words, well done to all the athletes who took part in snowdon yesterday, we had a super week end. The race conditions were very different to last year, with a lot of mist up high and heavy cloud cover, it was very cool and certaintly i much prefered these conditions rather than the heat of last year and blue sky.Andi Jones won ,now an amazing 4 wins in a row, he led from the gun and no one came near passing him from then on, when he passed me on the way down he looked so relaxed and in control.A very talented runner, his time of 68mins was actually slow by snowdon and his standards, he had nobody to push him on (maybe next year some of our our talent will take him on! Barry Minnock !)he has a marathon pb time set in london this year of 2.15.Ian Holmes who i understand holds the fastest descent time of 22mins odd, came 2nd, an amazing fell runner and undoubtly one of the greats of modern times,he won the race in 1993 and again in 2004,he is virtually air borne on the descent.

Our own lads ran very strong times, Keith Heary new to hill running , had a nasty few falls, ending up with a broken finger, sprained ankle and cuts and bruises ,yet still posted an excellent time of 82mins.Richie Healy had a supreb race and knocked 12 odd mins of his last years time.Vincent O Sullivan who is based in the UK , led the Irish charge being the first Irish man home.

In the females Katie Ingram of England had another successful defence of her title following last years win.
Angela Speight put in a tremendous performance in spite of a nasty fall.Her time would have given her 2nd in the open race, at 21yrs old she has a brillant future ahead of her .Caroline Reid , taking part in her first Snowdon race put in a solid performance.Cathy McCourt had a very strong climb and was first irish woman to the summit-great to see her back..

Snowdon is a brillant international race, there were teams from England,France,Wales,Ireland, Scotland,Italy,Slovenia,Northern Ireland.It is a great opportunity for athletes to get a taste of a competitive race of international magnitude.John Lenihan who won it in 1989 still holds one of the fastest overall times of 64.12.
It was a real pity Ireland did not have a full team entered, or indeed a B team (like wales for example) next year the race will be celebrating 35 years on the go and hopefully we will be in a position to enter two strong teams M&F of some of our stronest and most talented runners who will have a real chance of a top 10 finish and better.

Big thanks to John O Connell for organising the bus and ferry.Dont be disappointed for next year if you plan to run the open race,the entry forms will be on the site late January early february, it was full up in early May this year, so get in early.
So looking forward to seeing ye all next year and enjoying a pint of tea and big slab of apple pie in Pete's eat!
Rene BorgJul 20 2009, 11:34amHere are the ascent and descent times for all Irish and NOrthern Irish runners taking part this weekend:

ASCENT

1. Andi Jones, England 41:52
23. Vincent O'Sullivan, Ireland 49:40
24. Andrew Niblock, Northern Ireland 50:09
29. Johnny Steede, Northern Ireland 50:57
30. Alex Brennan, Northern Ireland 50:58
37. Gary Baily, Northern Ireland 52:29
40. Keith Heary, Ireland 52:45
53. Richie Healy, Ireland 54:52
71. John Lynch, St. Finbarrs 57:08
88. Rene Borg, Crusaders AC 58:45
118. Angela Speight, Ireland 01:00:40
127. Cathy McCourt, Ireland 01:01:40
139. Cormac O'Ceallaigh, Sli Cualann 01:02:16
236. Caroline Reid, Ireland 01:08:04
306. Tommy Galvin, Glenasmole 01:13:00
345. Niamh O'Ceallaigh, Crusaders AC 01:16:46

DESCENT

1. Ian Holmes, England 23:34
16. Andrew Niblock, Northern Ireland 26:21
21. Gary Baily, Northern Ireland 26:44
26. Johnny Steede, Northern Ireland 27:35
35. Alex Brennan, Northern Ireland 28:20
38. Richie Healy, Ireland 28:31
41. John Lynch, St. Finbarrs 28:42
53. Keith Heary, Ireland 29:33
65. Rene Borg, Crusaders AC 30:29
69. Vincent O'Sullivan, Ireland 30:48
118. Cormac O'Ceallaigh, Sli Cualann 33:24
129. Angela Speight, Ireland 33:52
162. Niamh O'Ceallaigh, Crusaders AC 35:22
198. Caroline Reid, Ireland 36:25
228. Cathy McCourt, Ireland 37:36
284. Tommy Galvin, Glenasmole 40:24
Mick HanneyJul 20 2009, 1:10pmGood coverage on this on S4C last night. If you missed it it might be available on their website? The winner looked extraordinarily comfortable over the course of the race. I read just there on the bbc website that unfortunately a runner died on the ascent, near the top. Very sad for all concerned but the race couldn't be faulted for its safety according to the report.
Rene BorgJul 20 2009, 7:05pmThe deceased runner has now been named as Mark Lear of Bangor who is believed to have suffered from heart problems (full story here: http://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/76038/bangor-runner-collapsed-and-died-during-snowdon-race.aspx)

His family tribute to this regular Snowdon competitor can be read here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8159896.stm

I passed by a runner who looked in serious trouble on the path being attended to by two people and wonder if it was him. My condolences and thoughts go out to his family.
Rene BorgJul 20 2009, 7:29pmPictures from Snowdon now up here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davepinno/sets/72157621524734431/

More to follow later this evening.

Once again the photographer managed to catch me on one of my rare walking breaks, I don't know how they do it...

Some great photos of the Irish athletes.
Rene BorgJul 20 2009, 9:35pmMore good pictures of all competitors coming down can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alastair.tye/Snowdon09#
keith hearyJul 20 2009, 10:24pmid just like to say a big thanks and well done to all involved over the weekend. it was a fantastic journey and i made some life long friends. delighted to get the oppurtunity to represent my country and to have so much fun in the process of doing so. myself richie and rene enjoyed a lenghty discussion on european language and politics, only in imra would it happen. great memories.
Gerry BradyJul 21 2009, 7:44pmSome photos from Declan (the close up dramatic ones - Roughan photograhic), Alastair Tye (downloaded) and Dave Pinno (downloaded) now on IMRA archive http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/photos/id/664/
Gráinne LynchJul 23 2009, 11:47amI have some photos of the lads on Snowdon, taken in the fog at the top. They contrast nicely with the bright photos taken in Llanberis.

How can I upload them?
Rene BorgJul 23 2009, 11:53amHi Grainne,

You need to have zipped your pictures first using Winzip. Normally the limit is 20mb per file but at the moment it seems to work best if you keep them down to 5mb per zip file (you can upload multiple files to the same event).

Then you go to Photos and \"Load Photos\". Here you select your year and the Snowdon event. Then you click the browse button and select your zip files and then submit.

If you don\'t have access to myIMRA I can do it for you, but unfortunately it would mean you don\'t get creditted as the photographer.
Rene BorgJul 23 2009, 12:56pmHi Grainne,

your photos are now added. There\'s a new descent gallery as well now here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davepinno/sets/72157621649744139/
Rene BorgDec 26 2009, 12:13am2010 version of this race has been confirmed as happening on the 24th July. Entries not open yet. This is a perfect weekend colliding with no IMRA races and after the end of hte Leinster League.
David LearFeb 13 2011, 5:31pmMy brother Mark Lear died on 19th July 2009 in the Snowdon Race, does anyone have any photos of him. I would appreciate this very much.

Thanks all for condolences
Gerry BradyFeb 13 2011, 8:42pmDavid

Sorry to hear about your brother's death. There are some photos of him on the Snowdon website which you may already have (see links below). There is a nice photo of him descending and he will have enjoyed the relief of reaching the summit and hurtling back down on such a very warm day. Alastair Tye may be able to give you a full resolution photograph.

His race number was 324 in case anyone has photos at home. I have uploaded his photo to the IMRA photos page for the 2009 Snowdon race, unfortunately I can not add his name to it at the moment but we will find a way to do this if that is okay with you.

Photos by Alastair Tye
http://picasaweb.google.com/alastair.tye/SnowdonRace#slideshow/5228915421497807346

http://picasaweb.google.com/alastair.tye/SnowdonRace#slideshow/5228890704060200050

See for all Alastair Tye’s photos http://picasaweb.google.com/alastair.tye/SnowdonRace#

See also for links to other photos of Snowdon race http://www.snowdonrace.co.uk/services/servicesView.aspx?serviceid=11&folder=5

regards

Gerry
David LearNov 27 2011, 11:30pmwas looking to find photos of my late brother Mark Lear who I understand was running with the race number 324 in th Snowden 2009 race

can anyone oblige ?

any help very much appreciated

David Lear