Irish Mountain
Running Association

Irish Schools

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
John MayeFeb 23 2009, 7:18pmHi all, just few questons on All Ireland schools.
(a) Is there a possibility of introducing a Minor race? I have brought Minors last few years and ran them in Junior but it is off putting for some of them.
(b) I like the 10 man team idea. The competition is great too. Can I appeal for 10 medals per team and maybe get some presentation Cups or Shields for the winners? No trophy after winning takes from overall credibility of a great competition.
Interested in hearing what you think.
Thanks ,
John Maye Knockbeg
mags greenanFeb 24 2009, 11:19pmHi John, Still looking into your suggestions re races etc and will get back to you. Too late at this stage to schedule two extra minor races but will consider for next year.We are looking into the possability of perpetual trophies and await prices and committee decisions. Regards, Mags Greenan
Pat DonlonFeb 26 2009, 3:01amWhen we started the event we had three perpetual cups and three perpetual shields, all sponsored by business. The first year we lost a shield, the school saying they never got it, I sent them a photo of the presentation and was told "one of the kids must have brought it home, it never got to the school". The next year we lost a cup and that was after I spent days driving around looking in trophy cabinets. Then I had the stories, “I will bring it to event” then “O I Forgot it” “drop in when you are passing and I will give it to you” Perpetual trophies are a nightmare so steer clear of them. Munster had a single trophy for the school with the highest points overall, is that still to be found.
Jason KehoeFeb 26 2009, 11:17amIn other sports the clubs and schools are fined if they dont return the trophys with the proper winners engravings by a certain date before the event. And most trophys which can go back over 100 years are usually insured.

After the event there should be an agreement (written?) between organisers and winners that they acknowledge this fact. If the trophy is lost they could put a claim in against the winners school insurance.

One idea would be to have a large plaque or trophy (lets say with enough room for 50 winners names) so that the only place you would place or mount it would be in a school and not in a childs home where it is more likely to be 'put in the attic'.

Then again it's more administration work to do.
John MayeMar 4 2009, 10:27pmHi any decision yet on the trophies?
John Maye Knockbeg
Peter O'FarrellMar 5 2009, 11:16amDouglas Barry gave me a fine trophy a while ago that could be used for the junior trophy. It had been last used in 1996 :)
Perpetual trophies are a nightmare, I look forward to seeing this particular one again in 2120!

kind regards,
Peter
John MayeMar 5 2009, 7:47pmWell thats a good start anyway! Is there a possibility of approaching people/businesses for trophies? I was involved in a cross country league down here where we did something similar.
Caroline ReidMar 11 2009, 9:51pmLate entries for the Irish school can be submitted to me up to Friday 20th March at the following address:

79 Somerville, Ratoath, Co Meath

Queries re entries to reidmhi@yahoo.ie

Any school that has submitted an entry to date will receive an email over weekend, confirming their team/individual entry details (where email addresses were provided on the entry form).

All the best
Caroline
mags greenanMar 14 2009, 9:48pmlooking for some more voulunteers to give a dig out the day of the race. Do'nt be shy! Thanks Mags Greenan 086 8144 945
Caroline ReidMar 24 2009, 7:56amFor a list of entries for the Irish schools, please go to the following link and click on entries to-date:

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/676/

This document contains all entries except St Olivers Post Primary School, Oldcastle and St Dominics College, Cabra.

Any late entries or amendments to teams should be sent to reidmhi@yahoo.ie by 4pm this evening. Individual late entries will be accepted at registration between 11:30am and 12:30pm at OSI tomorrow.

With almost 500 entries, please ensure you get to registration in plenty of time, as registration will close at 12:40pm sharp.

We’re looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Best wishes
Paul MahonMar 25 2009, 8:21amWell done to Caroline, Mags, Gerry and all concerned in the organisation of the schools event with 500 entries!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to all the athletes but especially to Setanta's Ben Mangan who will be representing Alan Cox's East Glendalough school and of course the John Maye led Carla (or is that really Leix n the blue and white colours?) lads from Knockbeg - my Alma Mater as it happens!
Peter O'FarrellMar 25 2009, 2:38pmAll going well so far in the hilly Phoneix Park, sunny and windy conditions greeted over 500 runners as they stared in awe at the demanding course. It might be be Wicklow, it might not even be a mountain but I can assure you the kids are finding it tough out there.
The final climb seems cruelty itself on some of the youngsters and the finish area resembles nothing more then the aftermath of a gas attack with bodies strewn where they finish. Great to see folk trying so hard and well done to the deserved winners.
Gerry BradyMar 25 2009, 6:30pmProvisional place results available in race report on event web page. Full results and photos will be uploaded later. Congratulations to: all the runners; their teachers, coaches, clubs and parents; to all the IMRA volunteers; and to Mags and Caroline.
mags greenanMar 26 2009, 10:49pmGreeting to all who ran in yesterdays wonderful race in the phenoix park. I hope the bodies are recovering and a special hello to Keith O Reilly from West Meath. We all wish you a speedy recovery with your arm - one brave warrior!
Congrats to you all. It was a tough course but judging by the feed back once you got your second wind I think most of you enjoyed the challenge. For many it was your first experience of mountain running. I know the pheonix park is not a mountain but it was every bit as challanging and certainly a new experience and I hope it will encourage you to go on and get involved with mountain running. Keep checking the web sight for events and suitable races for your standard.
A very big thanks to all my loyal helpers - too numerous to mention.Your support made the day a great suscess. Many thanks Mags Greenan