Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galtymore

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Leanne CCCJun 13 2010, 10:49amIs this race marked?
Mick HanneyJun 13 2010, 3:51pmNo marking. Last year's race too was in heavy rain and low cloud. Its whatever way you want to the top of Cush, Galtee beg then Galtee Mor, turn around and run back the same way. A great route.
Paul FindleyJul 22 2010, 6:12amGreetings, I am trying to register for this run, but I am unable to find a link. I guess there is a chance that one just turns up on race day and runs it? Please advise. Not an IMRA member, rather, visiting from Colorado, USA with my wife. We would love to run this. Thanks, Paul
Paul FindleyJul 22 2010, 6:14amOkay, I found the FAQ (oops), see you on race day then!

Paul

HOW DO I JOIN THE IRISH MOUNTAIN RUNNING ASSOCIATION?
By turning up at a race and signing a registration form. Registration lasts for a calendar year. There is a €10 annual registration fee (€5 for juniors & OAPs). It is possible to download a copy of the registration form. Fill it up in advance and bring it along to your first.

WHAT IS THE FEE TO DO A RACE?
Race fees are €7 with reduced entry of €4 for juniors & OAPs.
Rene BorgJul 22 2010, 8:18amHI Paul,

Galtymore is a great race and well-recommended. One word of warning, though, you'll need to be a very confident navigator as this is an unmarked route over a fair expanse and there's plenty of room to wander off into the Galtee mountains especially as there's a lot of misty conditions around those parts.
Paul FindleyJul 22 2010, 2:27pmWould a GPS be a faux paus? If we got really lost, I could at least find my car eventually :-)

How sparse are the runners? Thanks for the reply!
REne BorgJul 22 2010, 3:02pmI can't speak for the race organiser but I don't think there's any rule against bringing out a GPS.

Runners can be sparse enough, although, you'd be fine until you are over Cuis (the first hill), it's after that point mistakes are likely to happen. The pictures from last year's event give you a great picture of what its like.
Paul FindleyJul 23 2010, 3:46amLooking at the Topo, I think we will be okay. I will leave my GPS @ home :-)
Niamh O'CeallaighJul 26 2010, 7:41pmThis race at 13 km long with 1340m climb and over some rough open mountain terrain should not be taken lightly. It is suitable for experienced mountain runners only. Appropriate clothing should be carried (see mandatory kit list below). The route is not marked. Runners must be capable of navigating the route individually. The field is likely to spread out quickly, so following the runner in front will not be an option.

Mandatory Kit Requirement:
The following items must be brought to registration by all athletes:
- Windproof Jacket
- Map of route
- Compass
- Whistle
- Emergency food
- Water
- Hat
- Gloves

The race director will decide on the day what kit must be carried.Runners failing to carry the mandatory kit as defined by the race director on race day for the duration of the race will be disqualified.

In reply to earlier query, GPS devices are permitted, although runners should be capable of manual navigation.
Vivian O'GormanJul 27 2010, 9:21pm
Hi All -- I just need a Summit Marshall for this race.

Thanks
Niamh O ceallaighJul 28 2010, 9:54pmVivian, I will do summit Marshall. Would prefer not to be up there for more than an hour so perhaps some slower runners would consider an early start. Thanks
Niamh
Paul FindleyJul 30 2010, 9:38pmThanks for the additional information on what to bring.
Alan AylingJul 31 2010, 4:31pmAnyone looking to share transport from Dublin for this? I'm happy to drive or be a passenger.

Alan
0eight7 0519seven23
kieran lynchJul 31 2010, 9:22pmIs the map on this page sufficient? if not what map and where can they be got?
niamh O CeallaighJul 31 2010, 9:36pmHi Kieran,

If you can get a decent quality printout of the map on the site, I'd imagine that should be adequate as it is a good map. Vivian (Race Director( may advise differently.
NIamh
Kevin O'RiordanJul 31 2010, 10:21pmHi Kieran, OSI Discovery Series Sheet 74 covers the area. The map on the website is taken from the OSI map. It's a 1:50000 scale map. I'm not sure if a larger scale map exists for the Galtees.
Kevin O'RiordanJul 31 2010, 10:23pmNot sure if where you'll pick one up by tomorrow afternoon but you can pick it up in most outdoor shops and in Eason's.
Pat ReidAug 1 2010, 5:54pmHi Vivian,
Pat Reid here number 1000. I am disgusted to see that you have me down a non finisher. Finished the race ahead of thomas galvin in spite of comming around the wrong side of the forest. As far as I was aware so long as we reached all three peak out and back we could choose our own route. While i didn't purposly take the longer finishing route it did actually add approx 5 minutes, this made me feel bad enough, but now I am on a real downer, especially as you asked me when i got back was I FINISHING NOW. SO WHY DID YOU MARK ME DOWN. THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR WITH IMRA, I ONLY RAN MY FIRST EVENT ON SCAR, AND HAVE BEING ENJOYING THE RUNS IMMENSLY, BUT NOW I AM NOT TOO SURE.
Pat Reid 1000 M50 WRECKED AND DISSAPOINTED.
Mick HanneyAug 1 2010, 7:27pmPat, sorry to hear you are disappointed but you are incorrect in my view. Before the race Vivian described the route and the path we take and he said its back the same way. The map is pretty clear too as to the route.
Rene BorgAug 1 2010, 8:42pmTeam results now up.
Paul FindleyAug 1 2010, 10:21pmPat,

However it turns out, you are a hero in my book!

Great run! You are all elite athletes! Glad we stopped by for a tea at the Pub.

Molly, driving directions...flawless.

See you the next time the stars aligned, I'm hooked.

Paul
Dermot MurphyAug 2 2010, 9:26amPat, the decision made to DNF you was made on the basis that you came back on the road. A couple of other runners did this because they were injured on missed out Cush on the way back. If you did in fact go to the summit of Cush on the way back and just went wrong coming down, then your result should stand and we will amend accordingly.
Results can often be recorded incorrectly for a variety of reason - early starters, runners running with the wrong number, not recording the right number at the finish etc etc... - all these can be easily fixed - there was certainly no deliberate attempt to give you an incorrect result.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 2 2010, 10:39amHi Pat,

I have amended your result on the assumption that you reached the summit of Cush on the way back but went wrong after that. The marshals at the finish thought you had missed Cush when you arrived back along the road.

-Kevin.
Colm HillAug 2 2010, 12:54pmJust saw the results...
Any race reports in the making?
Alan AylingAug 2 2010, 7:04pmJust added a report.

The level of verbosity was greatly influenced by recent works of Colm Hill and Eamonn Hodge. :-)
Mick HanneyAug 2 2010, 7:20pmAnother mild mannered race report added. Though one could be forgiven for cursing the route :-)
Vivian O' GormanAug 2 2010, 9:49pmI would just like to say that this race was both an Irish Championship race and a Munster Championship race.It could be deemed unfair,therefore, that runners who didn't follow race instructions and come back the same way they went up should be given a time!If a course isn't marked and the Race Director or his Deputy give instruction on the route that should be followed then that route should be followed.

As a rule Irish Championship races are not marked but they do have designated routes that runners can see on the maps on the website.They can also recce the route beforehand and are told the route before the start of the race.What is the point of all this if they can just make up their own route anyway?

As Pat Reid has been given a time Brendan Roth (race number 597)should also as he came in with Pat at the same time.

Dermot MurphyAug 3 2010, 8:22amDid Brendan go to the summit of Cush on the return, and simply make the same error as Pat? If so, yes, his result should stand.
Pat ReidAug 3 2010, 8:43amHi Lads,
Thanks a million for that, I don't feel that I wasted my time now.I did actually go to the summit of Cush on the return journey. I spent 2 hours driving there and 2.5 hrs on the run and another 2 hrs driving home, I done so to prove to myself that I could do it. I would only be fooling myself to have cheated. The person in the wicklow registered car who drove up the road to pick up the injured person asked did I want to hope in, as tired as i was I wanted to completly finish the course. Thsi was my 9th event and by far the toughest so far, but thanks a million to all the organisers and helpers. I really enjoyed the experience, but was too wrecked to stop at the pub for tea on the way home. Brendan also went to the summit of cush on the way back, his mistake was to follow me the wrong way, (sorry Brendan)
Pat.
Dermot MurphyAug 3 2010, 8:53amThanks for the clarification Pat.

We will also amend Brendan's time on that basis.

All - please let us know if any other results are incorrect and we can amend them.
Brendan RothAug 3 2010, 9:35pmHi,
Thanks for sorting out the times. And thanks to everybody involved in organising the race. It was a tough one.
Pat don't worry about it, I wasn't even sure who went wrong first coming down Cush, at least we got back to the start eventually!
Peter O'FarrellAug 3 2010, 11:57pmHi,

Whilst it's unfortunate for runners who got lost and don't follow the route home surely that's just life?
How can I get a result if I don't cover the course?

It's all way too nice :)

This route is very clearly out and back the same way.
Carantoohill by contrast had free route choice from the Kerry way stile home pointed out in the pre-race briefing (by the same race organiser as Galteemore)but Galteemore very clearly did not mention anything of the sort. I'm sure you could read the event description and make the argument that in fact free route choice does apply but you'd be wrong as it was clearly explained at registration
according to a previous post by the race director.
Brendan RothAug 4 2010, 12:06pmHi,
I don't want to kick up too much fuss over this. I'm pretty new to IMRA and this was my first unmarked race. But when I realised I had gone wrong, the decision to keep going and find a way back as opposed to back tracking was largely based on Micks's post above;

"Mick Hanney Jun 13, 3:51PM
No marking. Last year's race too was in heavy rain and low cloud. Its whatever way you want to the top of Cush, Galtee beg then Galtee Mor, turn around and run back the same way. A great route."

I understand why people would be annoyed if I had gained an unfair advantage from the alternative route I ended up on, but that definately wasn't the case. It added at least 5 minutes if not more. On top of that two people who came in shortly after I arrived back were placed above me in the results - I'm not complaining, just pointing out that efforts were made to make sure people didin't feel unfairly treated.

Anyway like I said I don't want to cause to much hassle here. I'm not doing these races to place well, just for the personal achievement and improvement, so it's nice to have a result recorded. That said this one does kind of wreck my slowly improving average times :)