Irish Mountain
Running Association

Fairy Chase Anniversary Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgApr 21 2010, 4:49pmAnyone know the exact route for this race? I think there was talk of it in an earlier post somewhere but too lazy to look it up ;-)
Jason KehoeApr 22 2010, 7:19pmHi Gerry,

Looking for a map or route description of this if you have one please?

Cheers,
Jason
Caitlín BentApr 22 2010, 10:27pmAs far as I can remember, as a runner in this race, we started up from the barrier;cut off the main forest road (it was not tarred then) at the 1st bend as we still do; crossed the main forest road again and onto a forest track turning left up a fire break reaching the open ground and bypassed 3 rock and on up to Fairy Castle and back the same way. Eoin Rothery and Declan O'Callaghan designed the route.
Rene BorgApr 23 2010, 11:03amHi Caitlin, thanks for that. Sorry for being slow, but perhaps you could clarify:

Do you go up the Boneshaker and onwards (direct up-and-down) or do you go off on a smaller path (there's numerous that I could see linking you up to Fairy Castle eventually).

As far as I remember straight up and down to Fairy Castle is only 5k so I was expecting some divergent path to make it longer.
Caitlín BentApr 23 2010, 12:33pmThe winning time was 22.30 (see April Forum 1009)Rene. I have an old record showing the distance as 4 miles approx.(pre-kilometre days in Ireland :). So the route went straight up to Fairy Castle. I reckon Declan & Eoin did'nt want to frighten people off. It looks like they succeeded:).
Rene BorgApr 26 2010, 9:27amThanks Gerry for putting the map up, now it's all clear :)
Gerry BradyApr 29 2010, 11:59pmThe anniversary race is also the IRISH CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS race so make sure your club is in the laptop database. Any number can run for a club and best three count.

We hope many of you wear FANCY DRESS to add gaiety to the event and create scope for more caption teasers. REGISTRATION will be at Lamb Doyle's (give carriers and car pools from there)!

Volunteers are needed especially for laptop, shadow laptop, course marker and car parking. Please note the race is on a Saturday afternoon at 2 pm.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 2 2010, 11:47pmIn keeping with the race title, I think the lead runners should wear fairy costumes.
Caroline ReidMay 4 2010, 8:37amKevin,
I'm presuming your including yourself in this....I'm willing to dust down my own fairy wings if everyone else is too ;)
Brendan LawlorMay 6 2010, 11:04amThe mountain rescue personnel who will be attending this event will act as first aid officers
caitlín bentMay 6 2010, 2:39pmIs this in case we trip over our magic wands Brendan?:)
Colm HillMay 6 2010, 2:51pmFairy Chase? The title confuses me.... are runners chasing the fairys or are the fairys chasing the runners?
I'm currently in search of a pair of fairy wings
Ronan HickeyMay 20 2010, 12:26pmGerry,

I'm a running volunteer for this race. What time do you want me to be at Lamb Doyle's at?

Ronan
Jason KehoeMay 20 2010, 12:34pmNon runner for me Gerry :(

Dito for Ronans time question. I would like to help Marshall on the course to see some of the action if possible too.

Cheers,
Jason
Peter KernanMay 20 2010, 10:05pmRaffle for 1980s Fairy Chase flyer.
There'll be a raffle for a framed original flyer with proceeds going to the mountain rescue on Saturday.
Tickets 3 euro, watch out for it at registration, the race, or after at Lamb Doyle's. Bring change if you think of it.

Any ticket sellers?...mail me at kernanpeter at gmail dot com.
Thanks Peter Kernan
Gerry BradyMay 20 2010, 11:18pmCan volunteers arrive before 12:15 at Lamb Doyles. I have sent a volunteer duty list to those whose email shows on the event page when they volunteer. Still not too late for an experienced registration volunteer or for a good photographer.

Can competitors note that registration is between 12:30 and 1:30 sharp at Lamb Doyles. The start is then a drive away so please arrive in time as the volunteers will have to leave in time!

OSi have given us 20 of the new sheet 56 maps so 10 of them will be spot prizes but remember the fanciest dressers will get preference. Can anyone upstage Alan Ayling :)

As Rene says the course is narrow so please run on the left hand side of the track and give way to descenders.
Brian O'DohertyMay 21 2010, 10:35amGerry,
I will be bring the DWMRT landrover to the race....we have provisionally arranged to meet at Ticknock at one but we can be there earlier if needed. I'll have a good camera with me, an entirely different thing to being a good photographer but I'll do my best.
Brian
Brian O'DMay 22 2010, 7:24pmHi,

I took some photos of the race today, not up to your usual standard but I hope you enjoy them anyway. I was called away to treat an injury so I missed a good few people coming back down. I don't have a login for this site but I'm sure someone could download these from picasa and upload them to your site if required.

http://picasaweb.google.com/brianodoherty/100522FairyChase?authkey=Gv1sRgCNubotm80Ky75gE#

Many thanks for your support of both teams today and in the past, we certainly appreciate it.

B.
Caroline ReidMay 22 2010, 8:42pmThanks to Gerry, Aisling and all their team for a wonderful day…it was really a lovely occasion; great race and post race party – there must have been so much work to organise everything to perfection like that - thank you so much!

And to everyone who dressed up and those who slagged us for the duration of the race, class!!! Should be more fun events like this - roll on 40th ;)
Ronan HickeyMay 23 2010, 10:09pmJust a quick comment to say thanks to the DWMR Team for strapping my ankle, to Rosemary, Jeff, the unknown sound runner (came in 18th I think?) who gave me a lucozade), Rene (for his improvised icebag out of a rubber glove!) and to Eoin Keith for the loan of his rucksack to prop it up (I'll never wash my foot again!). All the help and support shows againwhat an amazing organisation IMRA is!

On the down side according to the docs it's broken (and only 300 yards away from my best position finish ever!) but the good news is apparently I won a new OSI 56 map. Score!

Although Brian, your photo http://picasaweb.google.com/brianodoherty/100522FairyChase?authkey=Gv1sRgCNubotm80Ky75gE#5474156324263815618 makes it look like I'm enjoying myself..I'll have to look out for possible Insurance Fraud claims!

Great race though (until that point)

Ronan
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 24 2010, 10:18amI'm gutted for you Ronan. Hope you're on the mend soon to put the new map to use.
Eoin KeithMay 24 2010, 11:32amJeff, I've got your medal for coming second in the team championships. I'll bring it along to the wednesday races.

Ronan, hope you get well soon, and glad that my rucksack could be of assistance :) It looked like a nasty one alright. Well done to all for the comprehensive treatment.
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 24 2010, 12:45pmCheers Eoin. Not around this Wednesday but should be next week.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 24 2010, 1:45pmTough break with the ankle there, Ronan. You must have been in bits hopping down to the finish on it. I hope you're not out for too long.
Ronan HickeyMay 26 2010, 3:30pmThanks guys..btw did anyone pick up an Inov8 bottle (the one given away as part of the Leinster League Prize last year) at this race? I'd left it at the start/finish line but didn't pick it up in the end.

Ro
Eamonn HodgeMay 27 2010, 11:36amThat's terrible Ronan. Hope it heals up sooner rather than later.