Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 3

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Philip BrennanSep 22 2010, 7:56pmLast of the Nav Challenges takes place this Saturday & the start is located at the car park in Tibradden Forest. This car park will be open during the day until 5 pm & will then be locked. Race will start at 12 noon & total distance is circa 15km with predominently good runability. Maps will be provided.

Drinks after in the Merry Ploughboy.
Philip BrennanSep 25 2010, 7:22pmWell the three nav challenges have come & gone and a huge congratulations to Ger Butler who will be crowned Navigator of The Year at the annual dinner later this year. He was first home in each race by a considerable margin although today he had a slight hiccup in trying to locate control number 5. This however, made little difference to the overall standing as he already had two clean victories under his belt.

Latvian newcomer Arnis Saltins is clearly getting to grips with the Irish terrain as he improved with each event and had a technical victory today with a very strong time of 128 mins. Unfortunately no female runner completed two races.

Well done to everyone who ran in the series (particularly those who ran all three - Mick,Justin,Ger,Arnis,Gerry,Pat),the races are tough - long and somewhat technical and unfortunately this seems to deter the majority of so-called mountain runners. Looking back over the past 7/8 years sinces these races first started, there has only ever been a small core of runners that take on this challenge - usually lest than 15 -20 per race. Despite encouragement to run, most people eschew the series in favour of other challenges where little or no brainpower is required. This is a pity and I fear that numbers will continue to remain low. Although it appears that everyone who competes thoroughly enjoys them, given the low turnout and the input required to hold these races the question has to be asked whether the series should continue?

Results of NC3 as follows:

Arnis Saltins 128 mins
Brian O'Meara 144 mins
Gerry Brady 147 mins
Alan Ayling 149 mins
Gavan Doherty 151 mins
Pat Farrelly 154 mins
Aidan Roe 195 mins
Stuart Scott 196 mins
Justin Rea 201 mins
Eoin & Nadya Dunne 220 mins
Eileen Walshe 235 mins

Finally, thanks to Brendan Doherty, Denis Deasy & Dave Weston for their assistance during the series.
Mick Kellett 328 mins
Charlie O'Connell 347 mins

Ger Butler 117 mins (ctl 5 not punched)
Richard Donelan DNF
Amidou Debele DNF

Gerry BradySep 26 2010, 10:11amGreat series of events Philip: good locations, nice courses, challenging navigation and terrain. Would most definitely be in favour of them continuing. Ideas to consider are introducing a short course and with it a cut-off time of 3 to 4 hours. This might involve putting out an extra control.

Another option is to move the series into July to start just before the Leinster League finishes.
Brían O'MearaSep 26 2010, 4:08pmOnly managed the one this year due to various double bookings, but it was hugely enjoyable. Thanks for the effort put in, Philip.

I'd be absolutely in favour of these continuing, as they offer a real challenge in terms of navigation, route choice, etc etc. In my opinion, this kind of stuff (where you're forced to use your brain) is much closer to proper hill running than most of the more popular races, though admittedly the organisation required is considerable.

Bronagh CheethamSep 26 2010, 8:08pmCould I suggest that maybe the maps for these 3 races are published on the site now that the series is over and runners can get an idea of what their up against for future challenges. ( I assume they are changed each year) Might lessen the possible fear of the unknown away and encourage more to participate when they next come round.
Barry TennysonSep 27 2010, 12:20amThank you Philip for going to so much trouble laying out and then collecting the controls for the Nav Challenges. I would be so disappointed if they were to be cancelled next year. I think the task should be shared next year and I hereby volunteer my services for 2011. It is a logistical nightmare for one person to handle, especially with so few very keen runners. I think Bronaghs suggestion of publishing the maps post Nav Challenges is an excellent idea. It will enable others to practise some of the routes during the year and then gain interest. This could only increase the numbers.
richard nunanSep 28 2010, 8:56pmHi Philip,

Well Done on organising the event, I also think July would be a good idea, lots of clashes this year. Mournes, Roar and WAR there wouldn't have been the same amount of events in July. We need to be mindful of the Irish Champs, but these would be a nice alternative on weekends that these races arent on.

Hope to get out again next year on these.