Irish Mountain
Running Association

Croagh Patrick

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Paddy LordApr 2 2011, 1:02pm2011 will be the 24th running of the Croagh Patrick race. We have been fortunate, to date, that there have been no serious accidents involving runners and members of the public. The increasing numbers now walking the Reek along with the significant deterioration in the state of the Pilgrim Path mean it is only a matter of time before such an accident occurs. A possible outcome is the serious injury, or worse, of a member of the public as a consequence of a collision, most likely with a descending runner. As in previous years, I am glad to assist in organising this year's race. It is my intention, in the interests of Health and Safety, to change the descent route from the summit, to come down into the outskirts of Lecanvey. The new descent route is mostly runnable, with occasional rocky sections. It will be marked. Shuttle bus transport will be arranged for runners from the finish back to the Murrisk car park. The summit will be marshalled for the purposes of the King of the Mountains competition. Prize giving will, as usual, be in Campbell's Pub in Murrisk. I have run and walked the new descent route many times and can recommend it, in terms of runnability and scenery as equal to or better than any other route in Ireland. It's time for a change!
Colm HillApr 2 2011, 1:12pmMore people get injured running on an athletics track than on a mountain race.
Mountain running by its very nature is dangerous.

Is the appeal of the CP race not the rocky descent? Where descenders get to show what they are made of?

Dodging hikers is an art!
Mick HanneyApr 2 2011, 1:25pmThanks Paddy. Great to have someone helping out like that and it would be nice to try a different route on the Reek. I think the record by John Brooks for the original route was pretty safe in any event :-) I'm only coming back to fitness at the moment. If I'm not running on the day I'll be happy to help out.
Brendan LawlorApr 2 2011, 1:30pmPaddy, thats a very sensible idea
Mick HanneyApr 2 2011, 1:36pmCan we update the map in due course? Thanks.
Turlough ConwayApr 2 2011, 1:45pmHopefully this years Mweelrea route devised by John McEnri (looks fantastic)
would provide an able IC race in the near future. Nephin, a classic up and down mountain race on the Sunday, would mean a classic mountain running weekend.

There are several other possibilities that could get an outing at some stage. One is a northern horseshoe taking in BenGorm via Ben Creggan, a route on the the Sheefries etc.

I dont think that Croagh Patrick still warrants a permanent position on the Calendar for teh reasons that Paddy outlined and for the reasons that there are many better routes out there.

It could be revisited in rotation every few years when circumstances permit, would be my view.

Vivian O'GormanApr 2 2011, 1:47pm
Totally agree with Paddy.It only takes one nasty accident.I,for one, would not
like to be organizing the finish if something did happen.I think we have done well up to now and after all these years a new route is a new adventure and definitely worth trying.
Paul NolanApr 2 2011, 1:59pmGreat idea Paddy. Long over due. The route used until now is the least interesting way up or down that very special mountain.
James HigginsApr 2 2011, 2:18pmExcellent idea paddy.

This route is well known locally and makes for a far better descent.

Logistically more hassle having to bring runners back to Campbells pub but it is worth it. It would only be a matter of time before a descending runner had a serious collision with a walker.

I agree with Turlough's view that the holy mountain needed be holier than everything else from IMRA's point of view!
Kevin O'RiordanApr 2 2011, 3:11pmColm, I'd agree with you if it was just ourselves we were worrying about but when there's a significant risk of collision with an elderly walker who hasn't signed up for that risk, it's a different matter.

I do think the original route has a fantastic descent though. Maybe it's a race that should be rescheduled to a quieter point in the year when there are less walkers using it. Plenty of other peaks to choose from for the Connaucht Champs weekend.
Mick HanneyApr 2 2011, 5:31pmDo we need to bus back and forth from Murrisk? Is there parking around Lecanvey or perhaps a local with a field could oblige for a modest payment from participants?
Mick HanneyApr 2 2011, 5:36pmStrike that. Just copped that it is running up the same way...
Rene BorgApr 3 2011, 7:30pmGreat initiative Paddy. The route keeps the fabulous ascent to the top whilst solving the long-standing problem of the safety of the other users of the mountain.
cormac o ceallaighApr 3 2011, 8:39pmwell done Paddy for taking this on and planning new descent route.Being a bit of a traditionalistit will be with a tint of sadness i will miss the final stages of the old descent route ! but can see the wisdom for changing. For those who have never ventured west for the week end , i would highly recommend it as a must in your race calendar. God be good to the old days when there used to be a half marathon on the same day that some of the die hards did first as a "warm up" !.
Caitlín BentApr 3 2011, 10:18pmGood man Paddy:) The few times I ran that race I felt bad about running down against people walking the route as a pilgrimage and felt we should'nt be there. Nice to see you today Paddy at Mullaghmeen. Hope to see you back running soon - but only if you do'nt beat me:)
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 4 2011, 1:12pmSounds like a great idea. I've only ran the race once and then felt very conscious of the fact that as I was descending I was sending rocks rolling towards people just out for a stroll, or scaring the living daylights out of them as I passed them.

With the heavy use of the mountain in a variety of races it's important to be as low impact on the enjoyment of the mountain by all. I'd hate to think we'd get tagged as hooligan hill runners, which could well happen if there was a collision with a walker.
Robert MalseedApr 6 2011, 9:38amI agree with the re-routing of the descent, namely with the difficulty of getting around the walkers. We have to be aware of the possibility that if there was to be an accident between a runner and a walker - the walker may sue the runner and the IMRA. With the economic climate as it is and with the present state of litigation over anything, we cannot afford to have such occurances. By virtue of living in Westport, I train many times on Croagh Patrick and the problems faced with walkers can be a huge nuisance, especially on the ascent and getting stuck behind an arse that resembles two badly parked double-decker buses. I have fallen three times on the Reek. Once when I wasn't paying attention to where my feet were, and the other two times trying to avoid walkers who were determined to get in my way, by doing the shuffling dance. The Lecanvey descent after the rocky part is far softer and easier to go down, especially when one wants to perfect the art of falling arse-over-tit.
Jason KehoeApr 6 2011, 10:33amIt's probably for the best as it is kinda hit and miss with the walkers on the way down from the cone section and the falling scree and rocks can be a bit dodgy there.

Having said that, I personally and those of you inclined will lament that we are removing the most technical, and testing descent (IMO) from the IMRA calendar which is a real shame.

Oh well, onwards and upwards (and downwards again)!
Justin ReaApr 6 2011, 5:16pmIt might be easier to get parking at Lecanvey (the Camping Ground?) and register people here, then bus them to the start? This has the advantage of only requiring one or two trips rather than a shuttle arrangement.

We can still decamp to Campbells for the prize-giving

I have climbed up that route and it is reminiscent of Fraughan Rock Glen, so will make for an interesting descent. Plenty of route choice, and may be tricky in the mist.
Eoin KeithApr 7 2011, 9:42amOn the broad subject of the new route, personally I'm unhappy to see the old route go, but the arguments for changing it are very well made. Relevant committee members were included in the decision making process, which has the full backing of the committee.
Paddy LordApr 7 2011, 6:23pmNice to see you too Caitlin, but no guarantees about not beating you! With my new 'accelerator' anything is possible!
The committee's blessing is acknowledged, making the alternative descent route a done deal.
With regard to parking at Lecanvey - there is only very limited space on the narrow road near the finish (4 or 5 cars at most) which is usually occupied by local walkers using our proposed descent route. We really don't want to upset either local residents or walkers by cluttering up the road or gates so parking will be in the public car park in Murrisk with a shuttle bus back from the finish.
Running and non-running volunteer helpers are all welcome.
Vivian O'GormanApr 8 2011, 2:12pmThank you all for your comments on our new Croagh Patrick decent.I know the decent up to now has been a classic and one of the best there is but the thought of a serious accident just didn't bear thinking about.

We are at the moment checking out all the details -- the actual finish area - bus to the start etc.I will put these details up as soon as I can another week or so.Justins idea of parking at the campsite etc is also being looked into.

An amended map of the course will be up shortly.

Meanwhile I am looking for a few volunteers.Unfortunately this year our brilliant first aid man Paul is unavailable due to a prior engagement - holidays!!

So two first aiders are needed plus a couple of people for registration and the race finish.If you want to run thats no problem.

As this race is also a King of the Mountains race a summit marshal is needed as well.

Don't forget to bring a bumbag,longsleeves,a rain jacket and water with you.

You can volunteer by way of myimra or text me 087 4150398
Jason KehoeApr 8 2011, 2:46pmHi Vivian,

Can you clarify the position on Mandatory kit and if there is one put it on the Event tab?

Personally having had a bad experience last year just off the cone and even on a gorgeous May day I nearly suffered hypothermia in just a singlet, sure its just a short race I thought...2hrs 15mins later I am shaking like a leaf in an emergency blanket with the medic taking care of me! I was lucky to meet lots of helpers who gave me bits of clothes to keep warm. There was a lesson learned that day I tell you!

I think there is a mindset from some runners that the weight is going to slow them down and sure X isn't bringing anything so he will have an advantage over me straight away etc.

Pity we cant be like the UK where you see all runners at every race with a standard and simple bumbag with standard issue Emergency kit and everyone's bag nearly weighs roughly the same. At least that would sort the level playing field mindset and add to safety.

Thanks,
Jason
Vivian O'GormanApr 8 2011, 5:42pm
Jason,

The lesson to learn from your experience last year is that you accept ALL the
help you are offered.Unfortunately that didn't happen in your case!!

Equipment notice for all intending runners on event page.
Pól Ó MurchúApr 12 2011, 2:28pmHey Guys here's a suggestion for anyone who wants a real challenge with this race... Myself and 2 other Special Olympics volunteers that are going to Greece in June for the World games are walking from Dublin to Mayo ending with a climb of Croagh Patrick. We start out on the 23rd walking between 20 and 26/27 miles a day and expect to be in Westport by about noon on Saturday. Anyone welcome to join us for part and/ or all of the route. Ya'd make it out to Croagh Patrick handy enough for the start of the race ;-)For more information give me a shout on 087-1262850 or drop me an e-mail on pol@heritageinsurancebrokers.ie and if you don't feel up to it but wish to make a donation that’d be appreciated too ;-) http://fundraising.specialolympics.ie/fundraisingpage.aspx?uid=103&eid=194
Jason KehoeApr 13 2011, 11:46am
Touché Viv! As comfortable as Cormacs Jaguar leather interior looked at the steps I did insist on walking the 100m to the finish line for the sake of the KOM points. It was when I actually sat down and ate something that matters worsened, a rush of blood from the head to the stomach I was told.

By the by I will hopefully be doing a recce of the new descent this Sunday 17th as I am in Galway next weekend. The plan is to be there for 2.30pm'ish if anyone happens to be in the area it would be nice to have some company. Up and down the new descent at a leisurely pace with beady eye open, I hear there is a mega shortcut to be found! ;P

Jason

Jason[dot]kehoe[at][gmail][.]com
Vivian O'GormanApr 15 2011, 4:05pm
I am still looking for a few more volunteers.I have a summit marshall
but I could use a couple of people on the mountain between the church
and the finish.
I am also still looking for First Aiders and 2 volunteers for the finish.

Instructions for the race will be up shortly.
Jason KehoeApr 18 2011, 12:59pm
I met Viv on his way home from his own recce of the course yesterday. The new course is really super, completely the opposite to the other side. Coming off the cone is still very difficult and there will be a lot of bruised ankles and legs from the loose rocks. I have quite a few of my own and even got a mouthful of moss and I was taking it handy! I'm thinking padded leather cycling gloves would also be very useful in case of falls here, my plain running gloves saved me quite a few stitches last time. You could seriously rip yourself up on the rocky slate if you didn't know your limits.

I had a great run up and down. Little wind, lots of sunshine and spectacular views across the bay, I actually got to appreciate the views for once. I think I saw the owner who runs the organic restaurant at the carpark towards the end of the run.

Had a much deserved snooze on the grass in the sunshine before hitting the road, a lovely spot altogether!

Cheers,
Jason
Brenda GannonApr 25 2011, 5:47pmJust wondering if anyone can enter the run next Saturday, at Croagh Patrick? or do you have to be a member of IMRA?

thanks,

Brenda.
Turlough ConwayApr 25 2011, 6:48pmHi Brenda

You can register with IMRA when registering for the race. Its 10 euro all in to register and run the race or its 17 (10 membership) if you plan to run more than one IMRA race this year.
Vivian O'GormanApr 26 2011, 8:42pm
Volunteers are still needed for this race especially another First Aid person.

Race registration will start at 1pm behind the shop in the car park - the same place as last year.

The car park fees are 1 euro 20 cent for the first hour and 60 cent for each subsequent hour up to a maximum of 3 euro.

There will be an early start at 1.45pm with the race itself starting at 2.30pm.

The start of the race will be beside Campbells Bar and the finish will be in Lecanvey. There will be a bus to bring all runners from Lecanvey back to the start at Campbells. The bus will be waiting from 3.30pm. It is not advisable to do a warm down by jogging back to Campbells - use the bus - it is further than you think and it is a very busy road!

As well as a Connaught Championship race this is also a King of the Mountains race so be sure the Summit Marshall - Joe Lalor - gets your race number!

The prizegiving will be in the new back area of Campbells as soon after the race as possible.

Don't forget to bring water - food and the proper clothing as listed on the events page.

Brenda GannonApr 26 2011, 9:57pmThanks for the info on registration with IMRA, hope to be there..

Brenda.
Jason KehoeApr 27 2011, 5:47pmHi Vivian,

The route from the church will be marked but I'm presuming just as a guide to runners unfamiliar with the route? Just wondering how far we can stray from the markers or is it just reach the church and make it back to the finish?

Lots of markers would be useful for runners trying to find a safe exit off the mountain just before you begin the final descent where there is a cairn.

Thanks,
Jason
Mick HanneyApr 28 2011, 3:30pmJust checking, instead of a bum bag would a cycling jersey which had pockets for the other mandatory items do?

Also, theres no compass or map mentioned which are usual items for the other IC routes? Cheers.
Vivian O'GormanApr 28 2011, 10:18pm
Jason - all runners will be required to follow the race markers.There is no point in going to the trouble of marking otherwise!

Mick I slipped up! I will have maps with me at registration so if runners bring their compass that will be fine. Cycling jersey with pockets is ok too.

See you all Saturday in the sunshine!?
Vivian O'GormanApr 28 2011, 10:18pm
Jason - all runners will be required to follow the race markers.There is no point in going to the trouble of marking otherwise!

Mick I slipped up! I will have maps with me at registration so if runners bring their compass that will be fine. Cycling jersey with pockets is ok too.

See you all Saturday in the sunshine!?
Mick HanneyApr 29 2011, 7:47amI have a handful of prized 2010 Irish Champs tee shirts which have yet to be united with their owners. I'll be at registration and I'll be helping at the finish, so if you are one of those listed below make yourself known to me. Cheers.

Rob Cleary
Stephen Cleary
Kieran Lynch
Ken McCarthy
Shane Enright
John AhernApr 29 2011, 4:39pmJust to let everyone know that the horse fair (that held me up for 90mins last year) is on again in Ballaghadereen on Saturday and so to set out early to allow time to get through it.
Rene BorgApr 30 2011, 6:16pmCongratulations to Brian Furey for his victory at Croagh Patrick today. Jason Kehoe took second with Rob Cleary third.
Mick HanneyApr 30 2011, 6:21pmThought Bernard Fortune was 3rd with Robert Malseed fourth? I could be mistaken.

Anyways,a great day and a great new route off Croagh Patrick. Thanks Paddy. Its a treat.
Rene BorgApr 30 2011, 6:40pmJust passing on what Jason told me on the phone. As I was coming off Scarr perhaps I misheard, but he was at the prize ceremony at the time.
Brian FureyApr 30 2011, 10:37pmnice race, new route is great.
was 2nd behind Robert Malseed to the top today. kept him within sight as best I could on the climb.
He was going well to the summit.Will be interested to see the summit times :)
I took the lead coming down off the cone, managed to kick on from there.

Thanks to organisers, Vivian and Paddy Lord and all who helped out marshalling.
Well done all.
Mick HanneyApr 30 2011, 10:46pm
A link to some photos on the early part of the climb from a fellow boardsie. Interesting to see who would appear to not have jackets with them... Certainly a no. of us saw a runner ditch one earlier just after the start. Shades of Mt Leinster a year or 2 ago that. Its not really fair on everyone else is it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pc-pix/sets/72157626491716301/show/

Sean BurkeMay 1 2011, 5:37pmHi,

Did anyone find a yellow Spongebob Squarepants hat? I think I left it at the finish.

Thanks.
Mick HanneyMay 1 2011, 6:03pmSean, I saw that hat with the race director gear, I think in Dermot's car.
Zoran SkrbaMay 1 2011, 7:07pmfab two routes, yesterday's croagh Patrick and today's mweelrea. great weather. well done to the winners and Brian who retains the champ title but only by the faster cumulative time over the two races. Robert, Bernard and he had 5 points each after the two races.
Robert MalseedMay 3 2011, 9:03pmHad a great Craic - and really put the effort in hard. Fair play to everyone...the only disappointing part of Mweelrea is no pint afterwards.
Alan AylingMay 3 2011, 11:59pmSure we'll get the race director to throw a crate of Guinness into the boot of his car for next year. Can't beat a spot of knacker drinking on a beach!
Eamonn HodgeMay 4 2011, 12:33amSorry about that Rob, I left the cooler at home. I'll have it next time!
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 5 2011, 5:51pmFurther race report from closer to the back of the race up now.
Mick HanneyMay 5 2011, 7:58pmWhere summit times recorded as per the KOTM discussion in recent weeks? Cheers.
Dermot MurphyMay 5 2011, 9:28pmSummit times added as a race report - thanks to Joe Lalor for recording these.
Jason KehoeMay 15 2011, 7:32pmTrail Problems... Darn hikers, lucky were all twinkle-toed, well except me who brought down half the mountain when I crashed last year...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/croagh-patrick-may-disappear-because-of-hikers-2647542.html