Irish Mountain
Running Association

Slieve Donard

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Ian ConroyMar 16 2012, 10:41pmAnyone fancy doing a recce of this route the weekend of the 31st? There's also the Donard downhill race that very day which could be raced as part of this. Go up on the Friday come home on the Sunday or something? Just an idea...
Dermot MurphyApr 19 2012, 11:54amJust adding Marty's note to the Slieve Donard section of the forum...

Hope to see lots of IMRA runners up at the Sl Donard race, on the 5th May, the first in the All Ireland series.
If anyone is planning to stay over either before or after the race I can supply details for some local places.
There are additional prizes for those that can beat their age to the top, favours the 45 - 60 age group!
Changing/showers are available and free!
For anyone that is also a cyclist there is a 80 miles Sportive on the next day.
Alan AylingApr 19 2012, 10:48pmIf this is anything like as good as the Donard Commedagh race used in the National Champs the last two years it'll be well worth the trip.
charlie lyonsApr 20 2012, 11:16amCouldent agree more with Alan. Really enjoyed this one last year, a cracking route. From memory not a bad spin up, no more than 2 hours from south side Dublin.
Gary RevinsApr 20 2012, 11:59amHi, will there be a bus organised for this race like Annagh Hill? Thanks.
Marty Mc veighApr 20 2012, 2:27pmWith the number of IMRA runners that I am expecting to come up it will need to be a "double decker"
Aisling CorkeryApr 23 2012, 4:46pmI'm going to be up that neck of the woods that weekend, so considering giving it a go. I've only ever walked up Donard, so it'll be fun to try running it!
Torben DahlApr 24 2012, 4:54pmAnyone having a suggestion on what map to bring? Thanks.

Torben
Kevin O'RiordanApr 24 2012, 5:00pmThe OSNI 1:25000 Mournes map would be my recommendation : http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1519

Kevin.
Paul SmythApr 24 2012, 5:27pmThis one

http://maps.osni.gov.uk/SearchResults.aspx?SearchCat=Activity%20Maps.

You might get it in one of the outdoor pursuits shops although in recent years I've found it harder and harder to source OSNI maps in Dublin. You can buy direct and it's probably cheaper. Service is very prompt. If you don't think you'll have a lot of use for the map you could borrow a copy from someone and copy the relevant section which is quite small.

The route is relatively straightforward and there are really only two options. The most navigation takes place on the lower section through the forest where there are lots of paths and tracks and where you could easily go astray either going up or coming down. On the way up your are likely to be with other runners so it probably won't be a problem. Descending, you could easily lose time if you are on your own. The route is the main tourist track up Donard from Newcastle. Once out of the forest you have two choices. The first is to continue on the track which is impossible to miss. This follows the Glen River in a valley to a col where you meet the famous Mourne Wall. You can't miss it as it's pretty big. You then turn left and follow the wall to the summit. The second option follows a small tributary which joins the Glen River from the left shortly after you exit the forest. This cuts through some rocky ground labelled the 'Black Stairs' on the map. One side is easier but all you have to do is follow the 'locals'. This leads you onto a broad spur which is the route to the top. The going is good to fair and there are sections of small paths at least lower down. So long as you keep ascending you can't really miss the top although the summit is quite broad. Descending presents the same two options. The tourist route is trivial until you get back into the forest where to avoid time loss you need to know the right paths to take. The direct route requires a bit more care as the spur splits into three lower down and you need to be sure you take the right line to avoid major time loss. If the mist is down then you need to be sure you don't venture too far left on descending which might bring you above Eagle Rock (a large crag).
Paul SmythApr 24 2012, 5:32pmOoops! Just realised that I didn't capture quite the right link. Try

http://maps.osni.gov.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=OPM001FOL.
aidan roeApr 25 2012, 9:28amBought the Mournes 1:25000 in 53 Degrees North on Monday. Didn't check to see if there were many of them.
Aidan
SUZY CarsonApr 25 2012, 3:53pm1:25 000 Mournes available from me at Hilltrekker (028 4372 3842) close to race start

Cost £7.99

If you wish to reserve a copy give me shout.Alternatively, I could post it to you (P&P FREE) We can accept debit/credit cards over the phone.

Marty Mc veighApr 27 2012, 8:53pmThere is a preview of the Sl Donard race on the Newcastle.org web site.
Marty Mc veighApr 30 2012, 9:14amAt this stage weather forecast for Saturday looks reasonable, but please check kit requirement on NewcastleAC website.
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 30 2012, 10:19amI plan to head up for this on Saturday. Heading from south Dublin.

Anyone interested in car pooling up and back?
Gareth LittleApr 30 2012, 12:24pm
Hi Jeff,

I was planning on driving up with a friend but I need to confirm this later. If so I will have two free spots so your more than welcome to one of them.

I'll confirm back here tomorrow morning and we can take it from there.

Thx,

Gareth
Gareth LittleMay 1 2012, 9:05am
Hi Jeff / all,

I have put two seats up on the car pool section. Jeff, if you confirm your seat that leaves one left for whoever needs a lift up.

Thanks,

Gareth
Sam ScrivenMay 1 2012, 12:09pmhi Gareth,

One of the seats was already booked - hard to tell if it was Jeff or not. So just let me know if you're out of space.

Cheers,
Sam
Gareth LittleMay 1 2012, 12:14pm
It's all your's Sam, book away
Sam ScrivenMay 1 2012, 8:45pmThanks Gareth, I'll be in touch before the weekend. Sam
Niamh O'GormanMay 1 2012, 11:57pmHi, just wondering if anyone else driving from Dublin has a spare seat? Will bring snacks!!
Aidan BligheMay 2 2012, 9:20amHi Niamh, i have room for you if you want. Leaving from Stepaside and i think doing a pick up in Tallaght. Will confirm later.
Marty Mc veighMay 2 2012, 5:49pmNotice that a number of folk are driving up. The Newcastle Centre is on the main street, on the left 50 metres after crossing the bridge on main street. There is limited parking in the car park at the centre, but loads in Donard Park at the bottom of main street
Brian FureyMay 4 2012, 10:35amIm driving as well. Leaving Dublin 6 at 10 passing through city centre. My no is 087-2834308.
Torben DahlMay 4 2012, 12:22pmMight be a stupid question, but can I pay entrence fee in EUR or would I need to bring Sterling cash??

Torben
Marty Mc veighMay 4 2012, 1:11pmAt registration 10€ = £10, you might not get the same value in the pub!!!
Dermot MurphyMay 4 2012, 1:44pmReminder regarding Entry forms - if you can, please fill out the entry form from the Newcastle AC website in advance and bring it with you - this will help at registration. Your race number will be your IMRA number if you have raced an IMRA race in 2012.
Gareth LittleMay 4 2012, 4:49pmSam dropped out of my carpool so I only have 3 now. Room for 1 more if anyone fancies a lift?

Gareth - 1580 - FUN - TIME
Marty Mc veighMay 5 2012, 9:10pmThe results of the race are on Newcastleac.org. Well done to all the IMRA runners who were up for the race today. I notice that the tread for this event was started by Ian Conroy. He was coming up to do a recce, wonder did he ever do it. Ian was first to the top today but navigation issues resulted in a mighty drop in position!!!
Alan AylingMay 5 2012, 9:36pmA huge thanks Marty and all concerned, fabulous race, superb organisation, weather spot-on... a brilliant day. The start and finish on the main street is a lovely touch. Bagpipers and all! Arriving at registration and there's a dude in a gold jacket outside, cranking out Eye of the Tiger good and loud... you know then it's gonna be a good day and it didn't disappoint. That is something we need to try at some IMRA races - get everyone stoked for the race with no need for headphones... :-)

Ian Conroy was mentioning something about writing a race report...
Gareth LittleMay 5 2012, 10:21pm
Results: http://www.newcastleac.org/2012/Slieve%20Donard/Slieve%20Donard%202012.xls
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 5 2012, 10:38pmGreat event, well done to all involved in the organisation. Smashing atmosphere both on the hill and in town. A real joy to race with people out supporting our little sport. Long may this race co.timue and I will be back again with better descending skills!
John AhernMay 5 2012, 11:50pmDon't worry everyone. I drove Ian all the way home to make sure he wouldn't get lost on the return leg again!
Eugene MccannMay 6 2012, 1:15pm
Donard race photos now on newcastleac.org.
Mick HanneyMay 6 2012, 2:21pmAn excellent set of photos. Really captures the spirit of the mountain race.
Marty Mc veighMay 7 2012, 10:59amA report of the race is also on the Newcastleac site, with a local spin
Dermot MurphyMay 7 2012, 1:09pmI have added the Newcastle AC report as a report on our report page - do any IMRA runners want to add their own report?

Great day out - many thanks to Newcastle AC for hosting the race.
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 8 2012, 2:21pmI threw together a race report on this, it's on the report tab as usual.

My quads are still tender.