Irish Mountain
Running Association

Maulin Winter League Route

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Cahal LallyFeb 17 2013, 8:05pmHi
I am available as a helper for this race. I will also be running.
Thank you
Karl O' NeillFeb 19 2013, 2:33pmhi guys, I can help out. I would also like to run.
Barry CroninFeb 19 2013, 3:04pmAnybody planning a recce in near future?
Sarah Ní RuaircFeb 24 2013, 1:12amHello Everyone,

I have been volunteered as Race Director for Saturday's Maulin Race by various members of the IMRA Committeer. I've never done race director before but that's no reason why I can't throw myself in at the deep end.

Anyway, now that we have a race director I see no reason why someone cannot step forward and offer their services as laptop operator. I'm also looking for a few non-running volunteers who would be happy to act as marshals on the course and also man the finish.

I also need to get my paws on the race equipment. Could the person who has it please contact me?

Further emails about the race and jobs for volunteers will follow in the next few days.

Sarah
colin doyleFeb 24 2013, 8:48amHi Sarah, can you contact me on 0863445554 when you get a chance.thanks
Ruth Nic Giolla IasachtaFeb 24 2013, 2:43pmNEW TOPIC - looking for carpool

I'm looking for a life to the Maulin event please. I'll be in Dublin city centre, but could get a DART or LUAS out to wherever suits anyone who might have a space in their car.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah Ní RuaircFeb 25 2013, 10:51pmHello Again,

I'm still looking for more volunteers, preferably of the non-running variety for Saturday's race. Otherwise we won't have any race marshals or finish officials.

Thanks,

Sarah

PS In a break with tradition we have a room in the Powerscourt Arms. The bar is booked out for another group so we've been moved to the Powerscourt Suite. However, we will still be able to order food and drinks.
Ger LawlorFeb 26 2013, 10:23amHi Sarah,

I can do summit marshal for this race if required
Ian ConroyFeb 26 2013, 11:48amHi, I was wondering if anyone is going to carpool? As I'm looking for a lift...
Elisabet GargalloFeb 26 2013, 10:15pmHi Rory

I havent been able to book seat through the website so hope this txt can reach you.
3 friends and I would like a lift to the event for this Saturda.I was wondering whether the seats are still available and if so, it could be possible to join you? we live in Ranelagh but we can go wherever its easier for you.

We will contribute to the travel expenses.

Many thanks
Elisabet
Elisabet GargalloFeb 26 2013, 10:16pmMy email address; e.gargallo@hotmail.com or phone number 0868932999
Rory CampbellFeb 27 2013, 9:36amHi Elisabet,
yes - still paces for the four of you. I'll send you an email shortly.
Rory
By the way, I found that the car pool link didn't work with Google Chrome Browser. It did however work with Internet explorer.
Elisabet GargalloFeb 27 2013, 9:49am
Morning Rory,

many thanks for your prompt reply looking forward to your email.
and thanks for the tip on booking I'll check it out next time if needed :)

Elisabet
Sarah Ní RuaircFeb 27 2013, 11:08pmHello Everyone,

Some more information for Saturday's race:

Registration will open at 9.30. It will close promptly at 10.40 to allow all information to be entered into the laptop and to let the running volunteers go for a warm-up.

For any Juniors who do not wish to do the full course, there will be a marshal at the junior turn-around point. However, the older juniors can run the whole course if they desire.

Parking will be in the Crone Wood car park. Space is limited, so I would appreciate it if runners could car pool if possible. We will have marshals directing cars and please follow their instructions. Cars will be parked very tightly and possibly with no room to drive out. This means that runners might have to wait for people to leave before driving off themselves.

Post-race refreshments will be in the Powerscourt Suite of the Powerscourt Arms and not the main bar. Another group got to the bar before us. So please make sure you head to the Powerscourt Suite and don't end up aimlessly wandering around the bar looking for your fellow runners. The prize-giving will happen as soon as possible after the end of the race, ie when I make it down.

See you all on Saturday,

Sarah

Sarah Ní RuaircFeb 27 2013, 11:17pmHello Everyone (again),

Jobs for the volunteers and helpers are as follows:

Gerry and Adrian: race-marking and marshalling
Ger: summit marshal on Maulin
Fergus: race marshal at the Junior turn-around
Cahal and David: parking
Colin, John, Karl, Mark, Fiona and Brian: start
Fergus, Colin, Brian, Fiona: finish
Fergal and Michael: laptop
Aidan: first aid

I intend to open registration at 9.30 so it would be great if you could all be down by 9.15.

Regards,

Sarah
conor houlihanFeb 28 2013, 5:47pmwould really appreciate a lift for saturday. 0877865750
Louise ChawkeFeb 28 2013, 11:07pmI'll be leaving Stoneybatter at 9.45am and have 1 space available in my car. I've put it in the carpool but I don't seem to have mastered putting the correct time in!
ciaran kellyMar 1 2013, 12:15amHi folks,,
I have a couple of spaces im my car for saturday morning... Leaving from Lucan.

Ciaran
Zero 86 88 44 629
Brian SugrueMar 1 2013, 12:46pmHi all,
I'll be leaving Arklow around 9ish if anyone wants to grab a lift. My number is 087 9047725.
Brian
Eamonn O'BrienMar 1 2013, 1:32pm2 spaces leaving from Terenure/Clonskeagh area - let me know.

Eamonn - my number is zero86 1nine22073
Jean O'NeillMar 1 2013, 6:10pmIs anyone from North County Dublin travelling to this race? Interested in sharing? I live in Swords. Phone 01 8405448.
niamh hartnettMar 1 2013, 8:52pmI should have added leaving at 9.30am to carpooling details. Space available for anyone needing a lift from UCD or Sandyford luas tomorrow morning. Txt zero87 six0twosix0six0
ciaran kellyMar 1 2013, 9:30pmA source close to the "Summit Marshall" has revealed that a Video Camera will be in position to capture the Championship finale turning point...

Looking forward to the "Youtube" Broadcast !!

Brilliant stuff !!
John CondonMar 2 2013, 8:30pmHi. My result hasn't been listed. 275
Cathy WalshMar 2 2013, 9:39pmHi, found the race toughest by far of the three I have run this year, others being Annacurra and Trooperstown. Overall have enjoyed the experience and volunteers and marshals have done a great job. Today though was disappointed that there was no marshal for the turn for the last climb todaywhen I got there. I was in the last third of the field and did hear later that there had been a marshal earlier. As I approached it I shouted at lady just in front of me to turn as she was going to go straight on. Then when I got to top of that last tough climb turned to look down and clearly see at least 6 people who hadn't turned and had much easier finish to race, I am sure unbeknowns to them.
Michael BligheMar 2 2013, 10:29pmI was a volunteer today and there was a lack of non-running volunteers. I don't know if a marshall was at the last turn off at some stage but, without sufficient volunteers, it is impossible to have as many people on the course as we might like. I think the RD did a great job with the resources available.

I also heard that some of the race markings were removed during the race, which obviously doesn't help.

People have a responsibility to familiarise themselves with the route. More importantly, more people need to volunteer to help out as non-runners. Otherwise, situations like today will inevitably happen again.
Gerry BradyMar 2 2013, 10:37pmWell done Cathy, it is definitely a tough course! There were at least 5 marshals out on the course but in the end - runners have to stay sufficiently alert to follow the marking tape. Some of the faster runners missed that turn as well so one of the course markers took a photo as evidence they had failed to notice the 6 or more pieces of marking tape we put on that turn !!! It would have saved them 4-8 minutes depending on how fast they were moving. Well done everyone who ran: it is a steep and technical course.
David PowerMar 3 2013, 9:13amSarah & volunteers - thanks for organising such a nice but tough race yesterday. What a great day to be out and about in the mountains! Fair play on the organisation - there's so much to be done, so appreciate volunteering helps make things run smoothly.

The race winner was never in doubt - Des got his engine in gear early on and we couldn't close the gap once he built it up through the first 3 climbs. That tricky right hander which caught so many out should come with a warning at the start maybe - I made the same mistake 2 years ago so was wary of it this time round :-)

Dave
Ger LawlorMar 3 2013, 10:27amGreat day out yesterday, well done to all involved.
Congratulations to Des Kennedy as the overall winner of the Winter League, no mean feat!
I made a short video of the lead pack nearing the summit of Maulin, will try and get it uploaded at some stage.
Andy MinshullMar 3 2013, 1:03pmThanks to all volunteers and RD I thoroughly enjoyed it though realise I have to drastically change my hill training! Thanks for getting results and photos up so fast, great work.
Des KennedyMar 3 2013, 2:01pmThanks Ger, everything seemed to fall in to place for me not withstanding my mistake at Trooperstown. Maulin is a tough little course so a good place to wrap it up and conditions for running in the mountains were perfect yesterday! Well done and thanks to Sarah and the volunteers who made the race possible, and indeed the RDs and volunteers who helped make the other races possible.

As regards the missed turns yesterday, I thought the marking of the course was good, (I had ran the course before in 2011 and did a recce also so not as crucial for me) there is also a link to a detailed route description on the website event page, but as I, and countless others have found in the past there is still the potential to go wrong. Another unfortunate thing about the missed turns yesterday is that it has totally skewed the results. Dave, I remember that incident well 2 years ago when you missed the same turn that many did yesterday, as I was just behind you and gained a good few seconds on you at the time as you doubled back to get back on course. You are unlucky again this time in that you are further down the results page due to other runners missing that turn.

Gerry suggests above that runners who missed the turn gained between 4 and 8 minutes depending on how fast they were running. It seems that there were two contentious missed turns yesterday. From rudimentary calculations using my Garmin I calculate that I would have been about 3:10 faster if I’d missed the right turn approaching Ride Rock and 4:15 faster if I’d missed the left turn back off the Wicklow Way on the home stretch. It would be proper and fair for runners who know they missed either turn to report it so that their times could be amended. A similar thing happened at Howth summer a couple of years back. Not sure who they would report it to though?
Mick HanneyMar 3 2013, 7:55pmCongrats Des for a well run race and league!

Mental note so for next year to have all the junctions that were called out as mishaps here to be manned next year. Either that or vary the route to suit the no. of volunteers that actually come forward.

For those raising issues with people going wrong the marshalling requires a non running volunteer, so on the odd occasion please put aside your running plans and offer your assistance to the Race Director.
Melanie EarwakerMar 3 2013, 8:24pmJohn Condon - you signed in as no. 278, that's why you weren't listed. I've changed the results, so you should be there now.
Dermot MurphyMar 3 2013, 8:45pmWith regard to the missed turns, I know that I missed the upper Maulin section, so my result can be changed, if that's the decision. Going by Des's figures, I probably gained about 4 - 4 1/2 minutes. I missed the turn off because I did not see any markers - I was told that it was well marked, so I would speculate that some of the markers were removed by walkers (I came across a couple of wlakers on this section during the race). I think the top of this section was marshalled (open to correction on this) and the marshal must of realised that something was amiss and went down to marshal the junction sometime after I went through. Runners who came after me said there was a marshal there. So I would say everyone after me (20th place) did the correct route.

It would fairly messy to try to change all the results though. I didn't turn around - as I hadn't seen markers, I didn't see the point (it also went through my head that it was decided not to use the upper Maulin section - ie fallen trees blocking the route). However, some people did turn around, and some may have lost more time than they gained. I think the 2 - 3 lads after Des also went the correct route and lost out as a result - maybe it would be easier to change their results - I don't really know the best solution. Does it affect the overall league results - its very close between the 2 lads in 2 and 3rd - did this affect the overall result them? I dont think it really matters to anyone else.

I cant really comment on the lower Maulin section - this was marked, but quite possibly missed by anyone not expecting to see markers on this section. I dont think the top half of the field missed it - I could see about 10 runners on it when started up this part of the climb, so I dont think anyone ahead of me missed it. Anyone who missed it probably didn't even realise the missed this section, so not sure how you would go about identifying these.
John CondonMar 3 2013, 11:10pmThanks Melanie and apologies.
Kate CroninMar 4 2013, 10:23amFirstly thanks to all the organisers for a great run on Saturday, it was certainly one of the most challenging hill runs I have done to date but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyable.

I missed the turn before Ride Rock and only realised my mistake when I ended up in front of Des on the fire road! Not knowing where I went wrong I headed back up the hill to try to find the section of route I missed. Unfortunately I couldn’t find it and so headed back down to finish the race.

At the finish my Garmin read 5.05miles and I think the race was 4.7miles, I also lost roughly 12 places and the female lead when I turned back.

The main complication is that with my points as they currently stand I have won the winter league in the female category. But having not technically completed the course is this fair? I’ll leave it up to the course organisers as to what they want to do as I did mention my mistake to the course director on the day.

Oh and well done to Des on a great run and on winning the winter league!
Adrian HennessyMar 4 2013, 12:51pmI might be able to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the accidental shortcuts that people took on Saturday. I spent two hours marking the course with Gerry on Saturday and it is probably one of the most complicated courses on the calendar. I think there was a suggestion that some of the markings were taken down early but this certainly wasn't the case and I don't think it was interfered with by walkers either. I was trying to cover 2 or 3 junctions on the route but it's impossible to be everywhere.

The most commonly missed turn was the second last climb just after the wall after the zig-zag decent. This was a blind 90 degree turn on a singletrack descent so it was possible to miss if you didn't expect it. I know how easy it is to run past tape when you're concentrating on the path and not looking up. Even when I was standing there pointing uphill some people still tried to run past me! I counted seven pieces of red tape at this junction, three before it and four at it and then several more up along the climb. I even took photos afterwards if anybody wants them :-)

We should have had a permanent marshall at this turn in future and hopefully this is remembered for next year. Ideally this course should have 8 or 9 marshalls along the route but that's a lot of non-running volunteers. In any case runners should bear in mind that it is a complicated route and that they should familiarise themselves with the route.

In terms of placings I think I can safely say that places 2 and 3 would have been David Power and Barry Cronin as they did the full course. They were just over a minute down on Des when I saw them and I think Barry O'Leary was in close proximity as well. Kate Cronin had a clear lead before the zig-zags in the ladies but it appears she went wrong as well. I'm not sure if Jenny McCauley went wrong or not so maybe that result is fair. It was all a bit messy in the end so maybe people can choose to demote themselves if they think they went wrong but that's going to be an administrative nightmare for someone.

At least there was no doubt about the winner - another fine performance from Des and nicely wrapping up the winter league.
Warren SwordsMar 4 2013, 2:22pmGreat race on Saturday and a beautiful morning for it.

I definitely gained a few places as I missed the second last climb after coming off Maulin. I'm down as 10th at the moment but Kate Cronin was a good bit of ahead of me and probably another 3 or 4 lads judging by the pics taken on the descent off Maulin.

Fairly sure the only people I passed (after blowing up on the first climb!) were the people who passed me after I briefly ran back to find the missed turn. But I was greeted by a few other runners who said there was no turn off, so I continued on my way. I did take find the last climb no bother.

If Adrian says it was marked, it was marked. I missed a well marked turn before!

Great tough course. It'd make a good training route given the quad bursting climb and the fast descent.
John KellyMar 4 2013, 2:32pmAs I seem to be the only person who actually completed the full race. I think its only fair that the 114 people who finihed ahead of me are disqualified and I am awarded first place
Sarah Ni RuaircMar 4 2013, 7:18pmHello Everyone,

As Race Director for Saturday I supposed I have to be held somewhat responsible for the issues regarding Saturday's race.

Two volunteers spent the past part of two hours marking the course and also acted as marshals on the course. Another three were out on the course at various points to direct runners. I chose the points on the basis that they were significant or locations where runners were likely to make mistakes. One marshal had to work between two locations, which in retrospect was a huge challenge given the difference in times between both ends of the field. I probably could have had more marshals on the course but I need to keep some people at registration to man the finish. There was a shortage of non-running volunteers at the race and while I would be loathe to deprive anyone of a run, I did consider asking one or two of the running volunteers to forego their run. Some courses are reasonably straightforward and follow the same route up and down. Maulin probably has a very large number of twists, turns and decision points for a course of a short length and possibility needs more marshals. However, we did need more non-running volunteers.

Some of the marking was removed from the course. This was simply unfortunate.

Runners also need to remember to follow the course markings and not the person in front of them, which has lead to runners following the incorrect route in the past.

Regarding the results, some runners did put their hands up and admit that they did not follow the full route. However, it is almost impossible for the Laptop Operator and Race Director to adjust the results and put in an estimated time. We would never get it right, even if we were to use that person's average percentage time. In addition, runners can have good days and bad days and this will affect their performance. For this reason, I made the decision to give the prizes to the runners according to the results as shown on the laptop.

Finally, I would like to thank all my volunteers (running and non-running) for their assistance on Saturday.

Ger LawlorMar 5 2013, 8:48pmSome video footage from Saturday as mentioned previously, sorry about the delay..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8-IS4SOYA
ciaran kellyMar 5 2013, 10:59pmFantastic footage Ger, Brilliant infact...

What suprised me about the video was the human speed of Winner Des Kennedy...

I was actually expecting to see flames and skid marks coming from his Asics...

So thats how its done !!