Irish Mountain
Running Association

Bray Head

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnFeb 3 2013, 5:41pmI will do race director for Bray this year if needed. Am having difficulty with myimra - who should I call to sort out?

Amanda AndersonMar 13 2013, 12:10pmHello,
I'm new to IMRA and would like to run the Bray Head race next month. Do I need to pre-register anywhere? or just turn up on the day?
Thanks in advance
Amanda
Laura FlynnMar 13 2013, 2:44pmAmanda, if you come along on the evening you can register-I recommend you be there at least an hour before the race as it will be busy.
Laura
Adrian TuckerMar 13 2013, 10:00pmLaura,
I can do a non running volunteer at this event if you can put me on the list - can't get onto myimra to do so myself.

Also, if you want a second / assistant First Aider, James Tucker would like to volunteer to try out his newly aquired skills from the first aid course.
Amanda AndersonMar 14 2013, 10:21amThanks a million Laura. I will do that.
laura flynnMar 14 2013, 7:23pmThanks Adrian-would you like to do race marker?
If it doesnt suit don't worry-I know it's onew of the more difficult roles and you have to get out early.
I will put James down as assistant first-aider.
Adrian TuckerMar 16 2013, 9:45pmRace Marker it is Laura, I should have no problem being there early
Laura flynnMar 21 2013, 7:51amThanks a million Adrian - makes my job a bit easier
laura flynnMar 25 2013, 10:28pmAlan, Thanks for offering to do race marker -which I only just saw. Adrian Tucker has also offered so would you mind demarking the course or some other role? Feel free to call me if you wish-087 7420795.
Alan AylingMar 26 2013, 10:18pmHey Laura,

Yeah I can de-mark the course if Adrian's OK to do the marking. If it makes sense, I can do marshalling out at the far end and demark on the way back when all the runners are through?

Alan
laura flynnMar 29 2013, 11:21amthanks Alan- maybe you could liaise with Adrian and see what suits him-if you plan to do that you will need to get some flags or markers from him.
laura
Sean O'BrienMar 29 2013, 1:52pmHi there,

I'm not an IMRA member (yet) and would like to do this run next month.
Any tips or advice about training for this event would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
laura flynnApr 4 2013, 10:45pmHi Sean,

You can come along to the race and register with IMRA on the night. As regards training I suggest you get out for some easy paced runs in the hills around Dublin, on the roads or rails which are reasonably well marked, or link up with a local club. I am a member of Rathfarnham AC if you want to join some of our sessions in Bushy Park you would be welcome, you will get lots of advice and running partners. If you want to let me know the area in which you are based I could point you in the direction of some other clubs.

Laura
Aidan O'DonoghueApr 15 2013, 8:48pmHi have not done a race before and plan to register at this race on 24th, plan to do a dry run this week and never been to Bray Head before, is the route there self-evident...just go same route as people walking up?
Justin ReaApr 16 2013, 1:10pm@Aidan there are many routes up Bray head. There is a school of thought that all of these take approximately the same time to reach the cross. I heard of one member who timed himself on several variations to see which was fastest, to find no specific best path.

We now take a marked route up the head rather than the free for all of the olden days. In general, the route sticks to the left side on the way up, and returns to the left of the cross as well.

One thing to watch on the day is the constriction at the stairs. It pays to leg it up the ramp at the start as you can be held up considerably where the path narrows at several spots on the climb.

Hope you enjoy this run. Take it easy on the way down as this can be slippery if wet.
Laura FlynnApr 16 2013, 4:53pmThanks to all who have volunteered so far. I need a lap-top operator. I know its a difficult one as it can be very busy but I would appreciate someone coming forward in the next few days. Also, could do with a few more volunteers.

Aidan O'DonoghueApr 17 2013, 10:55am@Justin Thanks for the tips.
Jim FitzharrisApr 22 2013, 1:37pmLaura,

I can be a non-running volunteer if you still need one.

I have a minor foot injury so would prefder a "non field" position!

I am familiar with the laptop so can help Donal or do whatever else is required.

I can get there reasonably early and, ideally, I would like to leave not too long after the last runner comes in.

Cheers,

Jim.
Fergal NooneApr 22 2013, 2:30pmHi Laura,
If you need still need bodies I'd be happy to volunteer as a non-running volunteer. If you need to contact me my number is oh eight seven 9870158. BTW anyone what do I need to do to (re)register for myIMRA? Its not accepting my password or user name.
Fergal
Alan MaddenApr 22 2013, 2:42pmHI Laura,

I'm free to Help on Wednesday if you still need heads. I'm in no state to run after WAR so I'm happy to do whatever. I'm also able to get down there as soon as needed so no issue with timing.
Laura FlynnApr 22 2013, 5:05pmI have allocated the following VOLUNTEER ROLES for Wednesday's race in BRAY:

- Lap-top operator -Donal Troddyn.
- Shadow lap-top operator -Jim Fitzharris.
- First Aid - Aidan Roe.
- Assistant first aid- A. Tucker's son.
- Race Markers - Adrian Tucker and Greg Byrne.
- Summit Marshall and de-marking course - Alan Ayling.
- Marshall for Junior turn-around - Felim Borland.
- Registration - Mike Long, Fergal Noone and Micheal Blighe.
- Taking money - Helen French.
- Finish Chute - Mike Long, Alan Madden and Paul Keville.
- Collecting and sorting numbers at finish - Tim Chapman, Louis Mullen and Rozanne Bell.

Please let me know if I have missed anyone or if any of you have a difficulty with the role or roles allocated.
Elizabeth WheelerApr 22 2013, 5:11pmI am leaving the south City centre (Ringsend/Sandymount) direction at about 6pm if anyone would like a lift there and back.
Laura FlynnApr 22 2013, 5:11pmThe registration and prize-giving will be in the MARTELLO again this year.

This is a busy race as a lot of people are registering for the year as this may be their first race of the year so PLEASE COME EARLY.

We generally close registration at 7 to allow time to get to the start and allow running volunteers to do a warm-up. Please be aware of this and plan accordingly. If you are not in the queue by 7pm you may not be allowed register.
Brian LeddinApr 22 2013, 8:40pmHello,

Just a few questions about the race in Bray on Wednesday.

Irish rail tells me they will get me to Bray rail station at 6.54pm. Is this enough time to get to the Martello Tower to register?

I ran last week in Kiliney, and paid my IMRA membership for the year, but wasn't given a race number. Does this mean I have to be there for 7pm or 7.10pm?

Thanks,

Brian
Ronan HickeyApr 23 2013, 8:58amHi Laura,

Injury is forcing me out of this race so I'm good for a non-running volunteer spot. Should be able to get there a little after 6.

Ronan

Jim FitzharrisApr 23 2013, 12:26pmHi Laura,

Perfectly happy with my role but will do anything required on the night.

Donal: I do not know if you already have the laptop but it would be a big help if a couple of current runners' lists could be printed out in advance. This enables people who have already raced in 2013 to check their numbers without bothering the laptop operator who will be a busy bunny!

I have the database as at 10 March but a number of runners have registered since then (mainly WW Ultra & Trail).

I can certainly print lists from that if all else fails - better than nothing.

Cheers,

Jim.

Tim ChapmanApr 23 2013, 12:32pmLaura really sorry for the short notice. I won't be able to attend tomorrow due to work commitments.

SorryTim
Donal TroddynApr 23 2013, 12:44pmJim, I don't have the laptop - I'm not who does after Tonelagee.
Jim FitzharrisApr 23 2013, 12:47pmDonal,

Further to my last message, I have now cut and pasted the list of 2013 runners from the website into Word and have it all laid out in columns.

I will print a few copies and bring them tomorrow evening.

That way we can legitimately shoot anyone who approaches the laptop desk to check their number !

Cheers,

Jim.
Alan MaddenApr 23 2013, 2:00pm@Brian, yes that should be more than enough time to get down. 5/6 min jog and you'll be there. I'm sure you won't be the only one coming on that Dart, I'll be on it myself. I registered you last week so you just need to pay your 7 yo yo's and from what I have read on the forum, ALL the names of people who have registered will be on spreadsheets with the associated number, so just check that and away you go.
Kevin O'FarrellApr 23 2013, 4:11pmHi all,

I have two spaces in my car for the Bray run. I ll be leaving the Monkstown area from 6pm. Anyone interested along the route let me know. oh ate six 880 1546.

Kev
Laura FlynnApr 23 2013, 8:38pm
I have the lap-top Donal and will bring tomorrow night. I aim to be there at 5.30pm.

Jim, thanks a million for printing the lists-it was on my list of things to do this evening.

Ronan- thanks for stepping up-can you please slot into Tim Chapman's role of collecting numbers at the end? You might also take over from Helen French collecting the money at some stage as she is doing the race and will want to get a good warm-up.
Ronan HickeyApr 23 2013, 8:49pm
Sorting sweaty numbers? Now I see why Tim suddenly had work commitments! ;-) No worries. I can do that and also let Helen get a warm-up.

See ya tomorrow

Ro

Laura FlynnApr 23 2013, 9:06pmDonal-if you want to collect the lap-top and printer from me and get out earlier to set up I can arrange that tomorrow afternoon. Due to family stuff it's difficult for me to leave house before 5. Let me know if this would suit -if not I will be there as close to 5.30 as possible.

Can the volunteers report to me at 5.45- except race markers who I will presume have headed out unless I hear otherwise. If any volunteers have any problem or are delayed they can call me on 087 7420795. Its important that the registration crew is there early as it will be busy.
Nicola CreanApr 23 2013, 11:10pmLaura,
I cant see that I've been assigned a role and am down as a volunteer for tomorrow night. I will turn up at 5.30 as I'm sure you will need as many hands as possible for the first race. See you then.
Nicola
Caoimhin MacMaolainApr 24 2013, 1:23pmLaura, I am a non-runner this evening and happy to carry out any helper role that you want, if you still need any assistance. Thanks. Caoimhin MacMaolain.
Michael BligheApr 24 2013, 1:50pmHi Laura,

It will probably be closer to 6 before I get there, depending on traffic.

Michael
Johan DehantschutterApr 24 2013, 3:15pmHi Laura, I'd like to get a copy of the 2012 yearbook. Will you have some for sale at registration tonight?
Thanks.. Johan
Angus TynerApr 24 2013, 9:44pmWell done to all concerned with staging of race tonight.

My daughter Zoe (no. 821) completed short course. Doesn't know what time but was perhaps a couple minutes ahead of main field.
Lukasz KrzeminskiApr 24 2013, 10:11pmHey there,
me and a friend of mine accomplished this race with the numbers 799 and 800. Any chance to get our results. Can't find us in the current list...
Ken CowleyApr 24 2013, 10:32pmHi, great race tonight, well done to Laura and all the volunteers.
I don't seem to be in the results, race number 331, I believe I came at 37 minutes or just under.
Thanks a million.
Declan Byrne Apr 24 2013, 10:37pmHi, just ran bray tonight, can't find my result on the page, race number 859. Thanks in advance
Amanda AndersonApr 24 2013, 10:44pmHi again. Had a great run tonight, I was number 819, can't find my result. Help?
Jeff SwordsApr 25 2013, 12:03amI'm down with a DNF but I came in around the 33/34 minute mark, number 171. Number was clearly visible and I heard the guy calling it out to the laptop operator.
Mick HanneyApr 25 2013, 7:50amGreat event last night. Thanks Laura and team.

Good to see old familiar faces back on the hills and some nice results there too.
Brendan LawlorApr 25 2013, 7:51amGreat to see Mr IMRA himself, Vivian O'Gorman , back racing last night after a long lay off - Welcome back Viv - I'll have to get training now!!

Thanks to Laura and all for great league opener last night!
David CarrollApr 25 2013, 9:08amHi,

Thanks for the really well organised event yesterday. I tried to check my time but its not on the page. My number (849) was called out going over the finish line. Any chance you can find out how I got on?

Thanks,

Dave
laura flynnApr 25 2013, 9:44amApologies re the results' glitches. We will try and resolve today. Donal if you want to call me to discuss you will get me on 087 7420795-afternoon better as am at meeting this am.
Damien McParlandApr 25 2013, 10:34amHi Laura,

My result is also missing. My race number was 868 and I heard it called out as I crossed the line.

Thanks for a great race!

Damien
Graham BusheApr 25 2013, 11:08amThanks to everyone who helped this event go so well. It was my first run and I really enjoyed it. I don't see my number [872] among the finishers, I guessed I had omitted to do something after the run. I was so happy crossing the finish line I didn't quite catch what the official said (possibly 3-51?). Graham
Gavin HuntApr 25 2013, 12:19pmThank you for a great event last night in Bray. My first with IMRA, My name does not appear to be in the results section. Number 838 Gavin Hunt
Aidan O'DonoghueApr 25 2013, 1:37pmAm in the same boat, no 806.
Aideen KeenanApr 25 2013, 3:25pmGot 3rd prize on the night but results show 2nd. Seems to be lots of people left off results so am assuming it's an admin error. Be nice to know though. Great event all the same and thanks for the free soup and sambos. So good!
Pawel no. 799 MykowskiApr 25 2013, 6:28pmHi It looks like there's also two more numbers missing :D 799&800. It was our first run and it would be great to know what's the result. Anyway, the race was great! :)
tony o'sullivanApr 25 2013, 7:56pmFirst imra race, really enjoyed it thanks a mil :-)
numbers missing too 814 and 815
laura flynnApr 25 2013, 9:31pmThanks to you all for your comments and input all of which are helpful in allowing us resolve the issues which have arisen re the results. We, well Donal and Jim really, are working hard to sort out the problem which it appears relates to the new registrations and some technical issues. Also, though I'm not entirely sure yet, the problem may in some part be due to the number of non-registered runners who ran. As race director I have to accept some responsibilty for this as those runners should have been directed not to run with the race and/or not to run through the finish chute as this caused some confusion for the recorders.

If you can bear with us for another day or two we will put things to right as best we can.
In the meantime, thanks for your patience and understanding.
Sarah Ni RuaircApr 25 2013, 11:30pmHello Everyone,

A pair of trail runners were left in the Martello last night. Their owner left them near the door to the WC area.

They are currently in the boot of my car, so if their owner wants to collect them, please let me know. Otherwise, I will bring them to the Scalp race next week.

Sarah
Kevin O'RiordanApr 25 2013, 11:36pmSpeaking of lost gear, I also found a t-shirt with my gear. It's a large blue tshirt that says "calcuttarun.com" on it. Will bring it along to Scalp.
Aoife LuceyApr 26 2013, 8:15amHi Laura,

I know that you're working hard to resolve some of the issues around missing race numbers from last Wednesday's Bray Head race. Just to also put my name on the list, I was number 890 and am missing my time. It was my first IMRA race, though I did get my membership card beforehand and register in the hotel. I've tried to create a MyIMRA profile but my number isn't recognised in the system so I haven't been able to. Apologies if this response comes through the wrong channel as a result!

Aoife Lucey
Alan MaddenApr 26 2013, 4:22pmLaura, I was writing down the numbers on the sheets too as they were being shouted out, if there is any ambiguity around the numbers after you have discussed with Donal, give me a call and we can meet up and go through the sheets again. If not, we can have a look on Wednesday night next week and rectify any issues - zero ate six 1798300
Laura FlynnApr 26 2013, 6:34pmThanks for that Alan. Hopefully we can resolve all we have all sheets now and lap-top. Thanks also Aoife for that.

Thanks again to you all for your patience.
Lukasz KrzeminskiApr 29 2013, 1:45pmThanks for the results update!
I could find my name on the list now.
Amanda AndersonApr 29 2013, 2:17pmThanks a mil, my result is up now. My first IMRA run and I loved it! Great atmosphere and lovely bunch of people.
One small correction please, I'm number 819 and my name is ANderson, not AMderson.
Thanks again.
Mick HanneyApr 29 2013, 2:54pmI've listed as finishing behind Paul Tierney (eagle) in the results. I don't think Paul is in Ireland so if that race no. is verified someone must have worn the wrong race no.
John LangenbachApr 29 2013, 4:14pmI was running along with (just in front of, but hey, who's counting) Emma for a good portion of the race and quite sure I heard her being congratulated for being the leading lady runner at couple of spots. On that basis, I think the recent results update isn't quite right.
Aideen KeenanApr 29 2013, 4:45pmGot prize for 3rd lady, was listed as 2nd in original results, and now I'm listed as 4th. Erk! Would love to know whether these are the final results or should I be racing out to spend my €10 voucher before it's annulled!! ;)
Jim FitzharrisApr 29 2013, 5:24pmHi all,

I was the laptop operator's assistant at Bray (aka the Sorcerers' Apprentice!).
All of the runners were correctly registered on the night and all the finishers were recorded, both on the laptop and manually.

[For those unfamiliar with the process, there are three people recording the finishers: the laptop operator and two independent volunteers noting down the finishers’ numbers in the correct sequence as they cross the line. The two manual finishers reconcile their results afterwards and then liaise with the laptop operator to ensure that all three sources of data are collated into the official results.]

The initial problem with the results on the website was due to some problem with uploading the date from the laptop - the results file was complete OK but details of the NEW runners who registered for 2013 on the night were not transferred across. This task was NOT done by the laptop operator or me: it needs admin rights, etc. which neither of us has.

After a lot of investigation and work, the full results file was duly loaded last night.

At many races, there are always a few minor glitches with results. This is more likely at Bray with the large number of runners registering for the first time, a short sharp course with a fast finish on a sloping bend, runners with rain jackets covering their numbers, and a number of unregistered runners …………. Quite a potpourri of potential pitfalls for those trying to record the results on a dull damp evening!

We now come to the specific issue of the leading ladies.

On the laptop on the night, the finishing order was:-
850 Jennifer Baron
496 Emma Hand
543 Aideen Keenan
and the prizes were awarded accordingly.

This sequence was borne out by BOTH sets of manual recorders. Runner 851 (Frances Coleman) was not recorded on the laptop on the night. When I got hold of the laptop and all associated documents at the weekend, I could see that the runner after 850 was noted as “851 or 857” on BOTH sets of manual results. This was then recorded as 857 on the laptop but I eventually found “another” 857 further down the list so I then assumed that the first reference should have been 851. On that basis, I amended the results and duly instated 851 in the “correct” position. I even checked the original IMRA registration forms to verify their names and gender and all were OK!

[The initial set of results posted on the website omitted both 850 and 857 as they were new runners for 2013 and two of many missing from that incomplete set of results as explained earlier.]

I can only apologise for the confusion and any errors caused. If anyone thinks doing laptop, etc. is fun, come and try it soon! The manual finishers also have a tough job with hidden numbers, curled up numbers, damp sheets of paper, etc.!

At this stage, we need the leading ladies in question to come forward and verify or otherwise what I have said.

As for that voucher Aideen, just spend it!! If another one needs to be provided, IMRA can rise to the occasion!

Cheers,

Jim.

laura FlynnApr 29 2013, 8:49pmI think Jim has gone into sufficient detail to help people understand the problems with the Bray result. As race director, I hope we can all leave it behind us now, move on to Scalp and learn something from the mistakes. Sincere apologies again for the confusion and sincere thanks to Jim and to Donal for spending what I suspect was a significant portion of their weekend sorting it out. If anyone still has a problem maybe they could contact me directly on laura.flynn4@upcmail.ie and we will try and sort out.
Robert CostelloMay 3 2013, 9:47amHi Laura,

Have you had a chance to look into my time as it's not up yet? I think it was mixed up with Paul Tierney (he may not have ran) as he is number 674 while I'm 675 and he had an identical finish time to mine (31:02) on the night.

Cheers,
Rob Costello
Jim FitzharrisMay 3 2013, 1:56pmRob,

Although Laura was the RD, she cannot sort this out for you - that is a job for the Records Secretary or Webmaster. I am sure that they can easily rectify this for you.

Cheers,

Jim.

Robert CostelloMay 3 2013, 2:23pmCheers Jim. I was texting Laura about it last week so just following up.

Rob