Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Ultra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Barry HartnettJan 2 2015, 9:11pmHi,
Could anyone please tell me when the online registration will be open for this race?

Thanks,

Barry Hartnett
Denzic JacobsJan 14 2015, 7:55pmI am also looking where to enter for the Wicklow way ultra pleas
Brian O MurchuJan 15 2015, 1:58pmEntries open the end of Jan I believe
Brian O MurchuJan 15 2015, 1:58pmEntries open the end of Jan I believe
Alejandro CarrascoJan 21 2015, 6:56pmHi, so the registration would be here, in the IMRA page ?
Richard NunanJan 21 2015, 8:14pmHI Alejandro -

Registration for the wicklow way Ultra will appear on the list when you click on the "Purchase IMRA products" Link.on the 31st of January
Alejandro CarrascoJan 26 2015, 9:32amPerfect Richard, looking forward to it.

Thanks
Philip BoylanJan 30 2015, 1:31pmhi, i paid my annual membership online and for a pack of ten race entries. what do i need to bring to Ticknock on Sunday?
Alan AylingJan 30 2015, 3:05pmBring a printout of the confirmation - that's sufficient.
The race voucher will be exchanged for your printout at Registration.
Donagh McGrathFeb 1 2015, 10:55amRecovering from injury & don't know if I'll have the miles in the legs for the Ultra. If I sign-up for the Trail (I know they need numbers for buses) can I "upgrade" to the cheaper race closer to the time if I'm able for it?
Thanks
Paddy DariganFeb 2 2015, 8:54pmOf there is a waiting list could I please add my name to it please
Paddy DariganFeb 2 2015, 8:55pmIf there is a waiting list could I please add my name to it please
Paddy DariganFeb 2 2015, 8:58pmIf there is a waiting list please include me on it, Paddy
Pádraig O MearaFeb 2 2015, 10:20pmI have signed up for the trail but if any places come up for the Ultra could my name be put down. My number for 2014 was 1515. Thanks!
Paul KevilleFeb 3 2015, 11:29amThat was quick filing up. I was a bit slow of the mark to get my entry in. so if there's a waiting list can you me to it please.
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 3 2015, 1:47pmHi Daniela, Kim young would not have got a prize as she had registered online as "m" incorrectly...She mailed me and was changed last night hence the change in F prizes. If you want to return prize to Rachel and I will let Kim know that she can collect prize at next race.
Thomas FehanFeb 3 2015, 3:54pmHi, are the places gone for this race??
Kerry EagarFeb 15 2015, 5:29pmHello,
My name is Roland Eagar. I understand that all of the inscriptions for the Wicklow Way Ultra are gone, but I would like to get on the waiting list.
Is this possible?

Thanks
Eleanor O'NeillFeb 15 2015, 10:47pmOh dear a bit late this year,never signed up!!! Please could you put me on the waiting list...
So sad, ran it the last two years, love it!!!!! 😁
Barry HartnettFeb 16 2015, 10:21pmJust a quick enquiry. I have entered the ultra.
What do I need to bring with regard to registration on the morning of the race? This is my first IMRA race.
Justin DuttonFeb 27 2015, 11:06amCan I please be added to the waiting list if possible.
Dermot MurphyFeb 27 2015, 1:39pmThe waiting list was on another forum message - I am putting it here for clarity - please put any changes on this thread.

Mark King
Thomas Keeley
Raghnail o Donaghoe
Gordon Wilson
Paddy Deargan
Padraig o Meara
Paul Higgins
Paul Keville
Thomas Phelan
Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly

I would expect that any available spaces will come up about a week before the race - but if any registered runner knows they will not be able to run, please let us know straight away.
If anyone is missing from the list, give a shout.
Dermot MurphyFeb 27 2015, 1:40pmVolunteer update (copied from Trail thread) - thanks to those who have volunteered so far.
I have volunteers for the half way point and Crone Wood (one person so far for Crone wood - could do with one more - would need to be at Crone wood at 9:30am).
Still need non running volunteers for Curtlestown, marshals, for the finish, plus some volunteers for registration, who can also run if they want.
Richard NunanFeb 27 2015, 5:45pmThomas Keeley
Raghnail o Donaghoe
Gordon Wilson
Paddy Deargan
Padraig o Meara
Paul Higgins
Paul Keville
Thomas Phelan
Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly

There has been 1 withdrawl
Justin DuttonFeb 27 2015, 7:08pmDermot, I'd be happy to volunteer for helping out at registration of the ultra if it helps.
Dermot MurphyFeb 28 2015, 7:34amCheers Justin, that would be great.
Paul Tierney (Tipp)Mar 2 2015, 4:53pmHi Dermot,

Could you add the following names to the waiting list please:

Paul Tierney
Brian Meskell

Enda MaguireMar 3 2015, 8:13pmHi, I would like to sign up for the ultra, can my name please be added to the waiting list? Realistically, what are the chances of being lucky enough to receive a slot?
Gareth LittleMar 3 2015, 10:07pmI'd say nil Enda....
Richard NunanMar 3 2015, 10:11pmHi Folks

We will no longer be adding people to the waiting list for the Wicklow Way Trail or Ultra. Statistically based on previous years - you will not get in at this late stage.

We recommend perhaps supporting the Mountain Rescue event http://walktheline.ie/ at this late stage. An event well worth supporting.
Richard NunanMar 7 2015, 12:09pmThere has been 2 withdrawals - the list is now

Gordon Wilson
Paddy Deargan
Padraig o Meara
Paul Higgins
Paul Keville
Thomas Phelan
Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Gordon WilsonMar 9 2015, 5:56pmI am removing myself from the wait list for the ultra. A few weeks out with a back issue means I am not fit for the Ultra. I will run the Trail as entered. Paddy, you're next up.
Richard NunanMar 10 2015, 8:46pm1 more withdrawl and removing Gordon -

Padraig o Meara
Paul Higgins
Paul Keville
Thomas Phelan
Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Dermot MurphyMar 10 2015, 9:14pmStill looking for a few more non running volunteers for the Trail and Ultra - need someone for food/drink station at Curtlestown, a few people for the finish and a few people to marshal as well.
Thomas KeeleyMar 11 2015, 12:18pmHi Dermot TJ Keeley here I just want to make 100% I got a Place on the Ultra. I was on the waiting list
Richard NunanMar 11 2015, 4:43pmIf you are no longer on the waiting list - and you WERE on the waiting list you NOW have a place on the Ultra !!
Thomas KeeleyMar 11 2015, 5:10pmHi Richard if thats the case who and when do i pay
Mike LynchMar 12 2015, 9:30pmHi Dermont,

Mike Lynch here. I can not run the Ultra this year, please give my slot to another runner.
Also, my girlfriend Kathy Jackson will not run the WW Trail. Please give her slot to another runner.

We hope to run next year. Its a great event.
Richard NunanMar 12 2015, 9:35pmTJ - Pay Dermot on the Day please.

2 more withdrawals today(including Mike Lynch). The list is now

Paul Keville
Thomas Phelan
Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Paul HigginsMar 12 2015, 11:20pmHi Richard, Paul Higgins here. I just got into the Ultra race from the waiting list today. I had registered for the trail because I missed registration for the Ultra and now wish to give up my Trail race place. How do I make this switch?
Thomas KeeleyMar 13 2015, 9:15pmHi Richard/Dermot unfortunally I wont be able to run in the Ultra this year so I am pulling out so as to free up a space. I appreciate getting a place and Im sure itll be a great event as per usual. Just to clarify I will no longer require my entry. Cheers
Richard NunanMar 13 2015, 9:43pmHi Paul,

I have taken note you are no longer in the trail - and will add in another person from the waiting list.
Richard NunanMar 14 2015, 11:44amPaul Keville

1 Withdrawl

Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Paul KevilleMar 14 2015, 1:48pmHey ya Richard I note that I've been taken off the ultra waiting list. I did enter the trail so my place can be given up. do I need to do anything regarding entry fees? Thanks paul
Andrew Mc GibbonMar 14 2015, 5:18pmhi Richard
Could I add my name to the waiting list for Wicklow ultra?
Dermot MurphyMar 14 2015, 5:33pmAndrew, we are no longer adding names to the waiting list , please see Richards note on March 3.
Richard NunanMar 14 2015, 5:39pmHi Dermot - thanks for the post - Andrew had posted in another post in which I responded to

"You Entered the Wicklow Way Trail on the 4th of February - which means you would be added to the Wicklow Way Ultra list above Roland Eagar. If this is acceptably to you let me know. or if you want me to leave you on the Trail list let me know."

So the list now looks like this

Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Andrew McGibbon
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Richard NunanMar 14 2015, 5:42pm@ Paul Keville - nothing required in terms of Fees.
Richard NunanMar 16 2015, 11:57am(Name correction)

Ray Longeran
Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Andrew Reynolds
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Declan MurphyMar 16 2015, 3:48pmHi Richard,

I'm going to have to withdraw from the Ultra this year.

Thanks,
Declan
Gavin ByrneMar 16 2015, 4:06pmI'm getting lots of emails about people withdrawing from the wicklow way ultra. If a place comes available I'd be happy to run it ☺
Richard NunanMar 16 2015, 6:06pmThanks Declan
(1 Withdrawl, Declan) the list now is as follows:

Paul Miles
Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Andrew Reynolds
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Ray LonerganMar 16 2015, 7:16pmHi Richard, just to let you know that I had registered for the Trail so now that I will be running in the ultra my trail place is now available. (and thank you for dealing with the waiting list system, without it I would not have missed out on the Ultra)
Barry DrennanMar 16 2015, 8:16pmHi There, Barry Drennan here.

Id like to swap my place in the Ultra for a place in the Trail, not enough miles done.... This OK? N
Paul MilesMar 16 2015, 8:36pmHi Richard, I notice I am next on the ultra waiting list and I am signed up for the trail. Not sure if this works as a swap for Barry? Paul
Richard NunanMar 16 2015, 8:45pmHi Barry,

If you withdraw from the Ultra - i have to put you at the end of the waiting list. Let me know if this is what you want me to to do.

@Paul Miles,

If you see your name appears off the Ultra list you are in.

We do not do swaps.
Stephen BrennanMar 16 2015, 8:55pmCan you clarify the convention in relation to Ultra and Trail runners going in opposite directions along the boardwalk and the fireroad up from Ballinastoe.
Richard NunanMar 16 2015, 9:20pmFrom Dermot 2013 ......

The descending runner should get priority, so on the boardwalk this would mean the Trail runners giving way to the Ultra runners - but given the number of Trail runners v Ultra runners on this section, this may not be practical. The boardwalk is a bottleneck, especially so when you have runners going both ways at the same time. If the ground is dry, it should not be a problem for one person to go to one side, but it can be much harder to manage if the ground is very wet - the boardwalk is over boggy ground anyway.

The best approach would be for all runners to go to their left if they need to go off the boardwalk. So one Trail runner going up, should give way to one Ultra runners going down by hopping off to their left, one Ultra runner meeting a group of Trail runner, hop off to their left. A sensible approach on the day would be needed.
Fergal ConnollyMar 16 2015, 10:04pmHi Richard, I am withdrawing from the ultra.

Cheers,
Fergal
Richard NunanMar 16 2015, 11:24pmThanks Feargal
(1 Withdrawl, Feargal) the list now is as follows:

Sean Burke
Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Andrew Reynolds
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Barry DrennanMar 16 2015, 11:35pmHi Richard, I'll keep my place, thanks, Barry
Tom enrightMar 17 2015, 2:52pmHi Richard

I am pulling out of the Ultra - best of luck to everyone taking part on Saturday.

Thanks,
Tom.
david johnsonMar 17 2015, 3:36pmHi, if possible another 2 people for the ultra waiting list.

David Johnson
Olivier Mossino

Thanks!
Dermot MurphyMar 17 2015, 7:57pmRace Briefing:
1) Pre-entry only for this race - if you are not on the list, you cannot run in the race.
2) Parking - 2 points to note a) No parking in the car park directly outside Johnnie Foxes - they have asked us to use the overflow car cark only. Please follow the directions of the car park marshals if this is full. Please car pool as much as possible in order to minimise car numbers.
b) STRICTLY NO PARKING at the GAA club at race finish - the car park is closed as they are extending the club house (work still ongoing from last year).
3) Route is strictly on the Wicklow Way. Please did not use any short-cuts ie cutting out zig-zags etc - this will be considered cheating and will result in disqualification. Safety point - runners might consider running in groups, especially if you are unfamiliar with route. See who is at a similar pace.
4) Mandatory kit requirement - this will be STRICTLY enforced. Mobile phones are not mandatory but are recommended.
5) Please note the cut off times at Ballinastoe (1pm), Crone wood (2:45pm) and Curtlestown (3:30pm) - please cooperate with the marshals if you do not reach the cut off in time.
6) Strictly no littering - please leave any litter at the water stations or bring it with you.
7) Dont forget to have your number visible/at hand at the finish so your time can be recorded. Please leave back your race number and dont forget to pick up your mug!
8) Strictly no headphones on this race - if you see anyone with them on, dont be shy about telling them to take them off.
9) Dont forget the IMRA social at Donheny & Nesbitts at 8pm on Saturday after the race!
Richard NunanMar 17 2015, 8:22pm1 Withdrawl, Tom) the list now is as follows:

Suzy Carson
Johnston Kirkpatrick
Andrew Reynolds
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Wayne ByrneMar 18 2015, 11:21amHi. I was wondering what time is registration for the 8.30 start, assuming there is an 8.30 start. Thanks
Dermot MurphyMar 18 2015, 4:31pmWayne - I will start registration at around 7:45am, so if you are taking the 8:30am start, just make sure you are registered on time.
Justin DuttonMar 18 2015, 5:57pmHi Dermot, what time would you like me to be there on Sat to help with reg?
Mark KeoghMar 18 2015, 9:34pmHi Richard
Unfortunately I have to withdraw from the Ultra this Sat due to illness.
Regards Mark Keogh
Jeff CurryMar 19 2015, 8:30amHi - couple of quick questions about the Ultra.
What distances are the Aid Stations located at?
Are Special Needs Bags left at the turnaround point brought back to the Finish line or are they considered as disposable?
Will the aid stations be up and running for the 8.30 starters OK?
Many Thanks
Richard NunanMar 19 2015, 8:53am2 Withdrawals - I would expect everyone below to get an Entry - this will close tonight.

Andrew Reynolds
Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Dermot MurphyMar 19 2015, 10:08amAid stations -
Crone Wood (12k)
Ballinastoe (25k)
Crone Wood (37k)
Curtlestown (42k) - no aid station at Curtlestown on outward leg.

Bags will be brought back - please check inside the gate at the overflow car park before you leave. They should be considered disposable - do not leave anything in the drop bag that you want back.
Put the location (Crone Wood and/or Ballinastoe) on your bag and also your name.

8:30 starters - Crone wood will not be up and running until between 9:30am and 10am - so you may miss this on the outward leg. You should be OK after that.

8:30am start - this is really to facilitate people who are unsure if they will make the cut-off times. Everyone else should start at 9:30am. The last two years had poor weather conditions, and so there were larger numbers taking the early start. But conditions should be good on Saturday - the course will be as dry as it can be for the time of year, and forecast currently looks good for Saturday too.
Brendan LawlorMar 19 2015, 10:16amThank you to Richard and Dermot for the remarkable patience shown in managing the entries for this event - good luck to everyone !
Brian HutchinsonMar 19 2015, 1:17pmBeian Hutchinson here - I have to withdraw fro the Wicklow Way Ulyra through injury - would be grateful if my spot went to someone on the waiting list. Many thanks
mick connollyMar 19 2015, 4:53pmHello Richard. Ref your message on Mar 17th 8.22pm, is there a possibility that my name slipped off the waiting list mentioned ?. sorry to be a pain..

best regards
mick
Richard NunanMar 19 2015, 5:41pmMick you are correct,no problem (and you will get there) - list currently is like (1 withdrawl, )

Roland Eagar
Eleanor O'Neill
Justin Dutton
Mick Connelly
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2015, 8:12amAnyone who was on the waiting list and needs to pay on the morning - please have the appropriate amount ready - Trail - €20 race entry, please €10 registration fee if applicable. Please try to have the exact amount - we will not have the usual cash collection process in operation tomorrow morning.
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2015, 8:13amReposting with Ultra fee:
Anyone who was on the waiting list and needs to pay on the morning - please have the appropriate amount ready - Ultra - €15 race entry, plus €10 registration fee if applicable. Please try to have the exact amount - we will not have the usual cash collection process in operation tomorrow morning.
Richard NunanMar 20 2015, 8:58am"The waiting list for the ULTRA is now closed !!! Hurrah!!

(I have had 2 withdrawls) I will get two more so Justin and Mick will be in also.

So all on the Waiting list are in !!!
Richard NunanMar 20 2015, 9:00amLooking ahead to tomorrow ULTRA - it will be an interesting race !! We have all the winners of the Ultra from 2008 - 2014 on the entry list (bar 2012)

Its going to be a cracker of a race - so if you have withdrawn - please come and support Dermot out on the course. Looking at the weather its looking that its going to be a great day out on the hills !!!!

Good luck to all !!!
Gavin ByrneMar 20 2015, 9:58amHi Richard,
Best of luck to all, if Justin or mick can't race I'm happy to step in.. i know it's a long shot though.
Thanks
Gavin
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2015, 11:18amGavin - and anyone else - registration is now closed. We are not accepting any new entries at this stage.
Steve SweeneyMar 20 2015, 2:15pmhello,steve Sweeney(bowland fell runners) can't make the race, hopefully you can pass my entry on,thanks.
Sam HuntMar 20 2015, 2:26pmHi Steve or anyone else, I'd be delighted to step in for tomorrow, and will pay your entry fee etc. - 0879232293.
Sam HuntMar 20 2015, 2:37pmHi Richard and Gavin, I am very keen to run. Please email me if you know of anyone who would like me to step in for them samhunt1@gmail.com. Many thanks.
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2015, 2:39pmI hate having to repeat myself - but registration is now closed - no new entries allowed. You will be turned away tomorrow morning if you are not on the registration list.
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2015, 3:40pmJust reprinting the briefing notes: If you are taking the 8:30am start, please be ready run outside Johnnie Foxes at 8:20am. For the 9:30am start - please be ready outside JF's at 9:20am.
1) Pre-entry only for this race - if you are not on the list, you cannot run in the race.
2) Parking - 2 points to note a) No parking in the car park directly outside Johnnie Foxes - they have asked us to use the overflow car cark only. Please follow the directions of the car park marshals if this is full. Please car pool as much as possible in order to minimise car numbers.
b) STRICTLY NO PARKING at the GAA club at race finish - the car park is closed as they are extending the club house (work still ongoing from last year).
3) Route is strictly on the Wicklow Way. Please did not use any short-cuts ie cutting out zig-zags etc - this will be considered cheating and will result in disqualification. Safety point - runners might consider running in groups, especially if you are unfamiliar with route. See who is at a similar pace.
4) Mandatory kit requirement - this will be STRICTLY enforced. Mobile phones are not mandatory but are recommended.
5) Please note the cut off times at Ballinastoe (1pm), Crone wood (2:45pm) and Curtlestown (3:30pm) - please cooperate with the marshals if you do not reach the cut off in time.
6) Strictly no littering - please leave any litter at the water stations or bring it with you.
7) Dont forget to have your number visible/at hand at the finish so your time can be recorded. Please leave back your race number and dont forget to pick up your mug!
8) Strictly no headphones on this race - if you see anyone with them on, dont be shy about telling them to take them off.
9) Dont forget the IMRA social at Donheny & Nesbitts at 8pm on Saturday after the race!
John CondonMar 21 2015, 8:09pmBig thanks to Dermot and rest of the team for organising today's race.
Mark KingMar 21 2015, 8:51pmTo all involved in organising today - Many Thanks. It was a great day out.
Clare KeeleyMar 21 2015, 9:02pmThank you so much to all involved in the ultra today, Dermot and team and volunteers, it was a great day out! Clare
Brian O MurchuMar 21 2015, 11:11pmRace report up!
Stephen BrennanMar 22 2015, 8:45amPerfect conditions, amazing race, flawless organisation. Thanks Dermot and crew.
Brendan LawlorMar 22 2015, 9:47amBig thank you to Dermot, Richard and all the volunteers for what was a great event yesterday. The weather and the rugby were the icing on the cake. The John Wayne walk will continue for another day today !
Richard NunanMar 22 2015, 11:13amKnackered !! Great day yesterday. Well done to Dermot and team. I would also like to thank the backroom team (Eoin keith, Fiona Sheerin and Pol) for the online reg, results and Finance management.

Some fantastic running by Jonny Steede winning the Ultra in a time of 3:56:37, and Suzanne Kenny winning the ladies in 5:10

Top 10 results below :(Someone asked for them)

Jonny Steede M 236.47
Paul Tierney M 251.34
Eoin Keith M40 258
Barry Hartnett M 262.08
Justin Maxwell M 262.37
Silvano Riz M 277.25
Billy Reed M50 277.43
Thomas Klimas M 278.48
John MacEnri M40 279.28
Richard Nunan M40 279.58

Laadies Top 3

Suzanne Kenny 310.42
Joanne Curran 316:41
Jackie Toal 332:00
Dermot MurphyMar 22 2015, 12:04pmMany thanks to all the volunteers today. We had an unfortunate clash with a funeral during Trail registration which caused us a few headaches. Justin Rea was the right man in the right place at the right time and was able to arrange alternative parking at very short notice which was a huge help. A big thanks to all the car park marshals who did a good job in sorting it all out. A big thanks also to the registration teams who helped with a very smooth registration process. Also thanks to all the marshals/aid stations who were very much appreciated by everyone - Lindie and Santina at Ballinastoe, Rachel who marshalled at Lough Tay, Mary and Diarmuid O'Colmain (and friends) were at Crone Woods and Mick Hanney and family were at Curtlestown. Also thanks to all who helped out at the finish.

And a big thanks also to Hilary Jenkinson for the super mugs!

Brian has already put up a race report for the Ultra race - if anyone else wants to put, please fire away - the more the merrier!
Pól Ó MurchúMar 22 2015, 2:01pmResults up now. Any problems drop me a mail pol.omurchu@imra.ie
Great Day out. Well Done Dermot. Fantastic event as always.
Eoin FeganMar 23 2015, 8:14pmHuge thanks to all involved for making Saturday a very very enjoyable day out!
Adrian Tucker RIPMar 23 2015, 10:14pmThanks Dermot and all involved for another great event. A long day for any volunteering role, well worth double volunteering points for all concerned.
Can I make one suggestion regarding the Turn-around point at Ballinastoe for Ultra runners.
The feed/drop-bag station has always being located at exactly the place where the start line for the WW-Trail is. This location gets quite congested just prior to the start of the Trail Race, and especially for those Ultra runners who are trying to get their drop-bags etc. sorted when it's getting close to that start time, it is a bit of a nightmare.
Is it possible to keep the turn-around point at it's usual point, but to move the feed station back up along the trail by about 100/200metres where a more accessible junction is located. Thereby allowing Ultra runners to run/jog/walk/ and crawl into the turn-around point, get logged in and out in one swift movement, and away from the congestion of the start line and travel up to the feed station while on the return slog home.
Just a suggestion!
BTW, my drop bag wasn't there at Ballinastoe this year. No worries, it was neatly parked inside the gate at Jonnie Fox's car-park on my return (inside someone else's big white plastic sack, along with many others). Great, I now have an extra gel and bottle of water for my next excursion to the hills, woohooo :-).
Jason DowlingMar 24 2015, 12:29amAnother race report added..
Paolo GirolamiMar 24 2015, 9:21amThank you Dermot and thanks to all those who helped organizing this great event!
Paolo GirolamiMar 24 2015, 9:21amThank you Dermot and thanks to all those who helped organizing this great event!
James H CahillMar 24 2015, 9:37amGreat race reports Brian and Jason. My contribution also added
John J BarryMar 24 2015, 12:17pmMy view of the day also added. Cheers to Jason for spelling all the big words for me and naming bridges and rivers :-)
Jeff CurryMar 27 2015, 4:37pmA week on from the Ultra and I'm late in getting my Thanks out to all the team. I thoroughly enjoyed my first Ultra and especially wanted to thank the organising team for laying on such a great event and obviously spending a fortune on the sacrificial calf that guaranteed such good weather.
I described the event to my friends as " Beautiful and Brutal in equal measure." Loved it and I'll be back. Thanks to all the volunteers for the long hours supporting us.
Cheers
Clare KeeleyMar 27 2015, 8:22pmWell done John, Jason, James and Brian on your great race reports. Here is mine. Clare
Nigel ShekletonMar 29 2015, 10:54amHi guys.

I've misplaced some gear. Just wondering if anyone came across it after the race and perhaps handed it in.

It's a small, dark brown Alpkit 1-litre dry-bag and it contained a pair of Montane gloves and a Karrimor hat. Possibly also a couple of other items inside. Images of the type of bag here: https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-1l

My guess is that it came out of my bag in the overflow car-park when I was getting changed after the race, but it may have come out of my bag just after the finish line.

Thanks,
Nigel
Fergal ConnollyApr 22 2015, 10:03amWill there be a refund offered to people who signed up for this race but had to withdraw?