Irish Mountain
Running Association

West Dublin Peaks

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Ken CowleyJun 9 2015, 7:40amA few updates on this race;

Volunteers are badly needed!
This race is in Dublin and has a relatively early start, so you won't be gone all day.
Great chance to get one of your volunteer slots done!

As with last year, runners do NOT need to hit Seefingan on the final run for home from Kippure, as this leaves some interesting route choices from Kippure to Corrig (there are at least three different routes people could take down through that valley (some of which is a bit rough, but some is not too bad), or of course they can choose simply to return on the high boggy ground via Seefingan again).

Therefore it gives a few extra options, and takes some of the potential slog out of the out-and-back Kippure-Seefingan section, which can be very muddy. But, it still remains a race where the navigators don't get a huge advantage (albeit navigation skills WILL be required if visibility is poor)

Runners MUST still go home via Seehan (after their final summit of Corrig). We don't want anyone using roads or going near the army rifle range.

To summarise then, the race is;
Carpark - Seehan - Corrig - Seefingan - Seefin - Seefingan - Kippure - Corrig (free route choice from Kippure to Corrig, not required to do Seefingan again) - Seehan – Carpark

Short course is;
Carpark – Seehan – Corrig – Seefingan – Seefin – Seefingan – Corrig – Seehan - Carpark

If we can get a summit marshal for Seefingan, that would be great. Otherwise, we will do the race ‘on trust’. Please make sure you physically touch the trig points OR the cairns at the tops of all the required mountains.

We plan to have a cut-off of 1.30pm for the second summitting of Seefingan. If you haven’t reached Seefingan for the 2nd time by 1.30 you must return home and NOT go to Kippure. You will be counted as having run the short course, so it will not be a DNF if you don’t want it to be.

Prizegiving in the carpark.

Looking forward to a good competitive race, with hardly any fire-road, good mountain running and a rare chance to race to the historic 5000 year old cairn at Seefin!

Thanks, Ken Cowley, Race Director
0h eight five 712 9 oh 6 oh
cowleyken72 at gmail dot com
Angus TynerJun 9 2015, 9:43amKen, my daughter Zoë would like to do the short course. She was disappointed with the removal of Seefingan from the LL as this was her favourite race. She has an uncanny ability to fairy dance across the bog holes :) She is an accomplished navigator, but if need be I can accompany her to 2nd submitting of Seefingan from where I'd continue to Kippure and Zoe to Corrig.
Ken CowleyJun 10 2015, 7:15amHi Angus, I'd like to let everyone run, but maybe someone can tell me if my short West Dublin Peaks race is within the guidelines for Juniors?? If it isn't, maybe we can come up with a Junior Course?
Angus TynerJun 10 2015, 4:04pmActually Ken, we're not around for this, so no need to pursue this further.
Ken CowleyJun 15 2015, 7:15amThanks to those who have come forward to volunteer. We still need a laptop operator and a First Aider, please
grainne smythJun 18 2015, 8:30pmHi Ken,

Can you confirm what time the volunteers are required on Saturday morning?
Thanks,
Gráinne
Ken CowleyJun 18 2015, 11:12pmHi Grainne. Thanks for volunteering. I'm asking volunteers to be there for 9.15/9.30 on Saturday morning. The early start is 10, full race starts at 11. I'll do a longer update on the forum tomorrow (Friday)
Ken CowleyJun 19 2015, 7:07amOk, this should be the final race briefing before tomorrow's (Saturday) race, at 11am (early start 10am). Can volunteers please be there by 9.15. Please note the race start is at the carpark where the OLD Seefingan race used to start (on the same road though).

Mandatory kit will be decided on the morning, and will definitely include jacket. Plus probably map, compass, drink and some sort of space-blanket.

The forecast is reasonable, and conditions up there are a bit less muddy than usual.

As with last year, runners do NOT need to hit Seefingan on the final run for home from Kippure.

Runners MUST still go home via Seehan (after their final summit of Corrig). We don't want anyone using roads or going near the army rifle range.

To summarise then, the race is;
Carpark - Seehan - Corrig - Seefingan - Seefin - Seefingan - Kippure - Corrig (free route choice from Kippure to Corrig, not required to do Seefingan again) - Seehan – Carpark

Short course is;
Carpark – Seehan – Corrig – Seefingan – Seefin – Seefingan – Corrig – Seehan - Carpark

The race is 'on trust'. Please make sure you physically TOUCH the trig points OR the cairns at the tops of all the required mountains.

There is a cut-off of 1.30pm for the second summitting of Seefingan. If you haven’t reached Seefingan for the 2nd time by 1.30 you must return home and NOT go to Kippure. You will be counted as having run the short course, so it will not be a DNF if you don’t want it to be.

Prizegiving will be in the carpark.

Any questions, my email is cowleyken72 at gmail dot com and my mobile is 85 7129060
James H CahillJun 20 2015, 4:48pmThank you Ken, Rachel,Lorcan, Grainne, Eamonn, and Niamh for a great day in the hills today. Really enjoyable day and made all the better with the wine in the "picky out". Good to see Ken and Niamh back and rumor has it they'll be back racing soon! Congratulations to Bernard and Becky -
Leinster Champions.
James H CahillJun 20 2015, 5:46pmAlso thank you Ken for the print out about the tombs on Seefin, Seahan and Seefingan which you provided to all runners. Makes very interesting reading post race - 5,000 plus years old!
Eddie CousinsJun 21 2015, 2:06amThanks A Mill Ken and team for a great run. It's a great course. Neil Armstrong wouldn't be out of place in some of the landscape. Congrats to Bernard and Becky and also to today's newbies.I think we had 1 or 2. Some race to choose for your 1st one, well done!!.
Caitlín BentJun 21 2015, 1:56pmGo rabid maith agat Ken, Lorcan (who deposited me outside The Old Mill to rehydrate in their Beer Garden, apre Run - an idea for next year? ) Niamh, Gráinne & Eamonn. I was a volunteer last year at this event, and was delighted to run/walk it on Saturday:)
Ken CowleyJun 23 2015, 5:42amA bit thanks again to the volunteers who made things very easy for me on the day. And to Kevin O'Brien (and his dog!) who have taken a fantastic set of photos at seemingly every section of this lovely route. Finally, well done to Bernard on winning a great battle on the day with Greg Byrne (who has done a vg race report), and again to Bernard for clinching the men's League, as well as to Becky for doing exactly the same! Full results will be up soon.
Pól Ó MurchúJun 30 2015, 11:09pmResults up now. Sorry they took so long. I've been really busy of late between attempted Rounds, actual Rounds, Rogaine, Work, Life, play etc... damn life getting in the way of IMRA results...bah! Sorry Ken.