Irish Mountain
Running Association

Hellfire Spring

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellJan 17 2016, 8:59pmThere are no cash entries on the day in the shiny new winter league.
To race in Leinster you must register as a 2016 runner on the website.
After registering as a 2016 runner you can either;

Pre-register for the race
Buy/order a set of 10 race vouchers and register on the day

Hellfire Sign-in will be from 9.30am till 10.30am. We are awaiting confirmation of the location. Race will start at 11am and is likely to be 3.5km from the sign-on pub.
Please car-pool from home, parking is limited.

As Hellfire is a very safe totally enclosed area I would like to encourage the kiddie runners and would like to have a totally separate distance appropriate course for them. In order to achieve this we will need parent volunteers to marshall various corners and turns.
Thomas RocheJan 18 2016, 10:58amHi Peter,

Is there a long course? If so, what is the distance?
S.M. GriffithJan 18 2016, 11:08amHi Peter- thanks so much for undertaking to run a junior race. That's fantastic!
Miriam MaherJan 18 2016, 11:42amHi Peter - fair play to you re: the junior course, great idea. Would be interested in helping with this one. So count me in as a parent volunteer.
Peter O'FarrellJan 18 2016, 8:32pmThanks Miriam. I have added you to the volunteer list.

Thomas, the course is 6.4km long and consists of a 700m run-in to the 2.5km loop, you do the loop twice and then return back on the run-in, now the run-out.

The four photos uploaded are taken from the proposed kiddie course. https://www.strava.com/activities/473158260 either one or two laps depending on the kiddie ages and the distance guidelines. Or a tougher version https://www.strava.com/activities/473158269

thanks.
Eva FairmanerJan 19 2016, 7:39amPeter, that sounds an excellent idea and I would of course be more than happy to marshall or do any role on the day. Thanks for thinking of the small fry - sure in a few more years there will be a junior O'Farrell taking part!
Derek CharlesJan 19 2016, 10:05amHi Peter I would like to volunteer to help at the Hellfire Spring race. Thanks.

Derek Charles
Inigo AlanaJan 19 2016, 11:22amHi Peter,

I put my name down to volunteer. I'm afraid something has come up. I won't be available that day. Sorry about that.

Iñigo
Peter O'FarrellJan 19 2016, 11:26pmThanks Derek and Eva.
No worries Inigo, thanks for letting us know.
Pól Ó MurchúJan 20 2016, 10:20pmOnline entry is open now for Hellfire race on 31st January. For anyone looking for one race entry only this is available through "MyImra", sign up pay your membership and purchase this through "Purchase IMRA Products". 10 race vouchers also available in the same way.
Peter O'FarrellJan 25 2016, 11:27amNote Sign-in is at The Merry Ploughboy, NOT at Hellfire. Sign-in opens at 9.30am and closes at 10.30am. Race starts at 11am 3.4km away at Hellfire.

The course this year is similar to previous years but has a shorter main lap. There will be no short course. The course starts exactly the same as previous years, up the fireroad, hard right, up the very steep ride, past the big scary house, on down fireroad.
At a bend in the fireroad we leave last years course and instead turn right. Then it's basically running along the edge of the area and back around to the top of the ride. 2 laps of this and then home back down the way you came.
https://www.strava.com/activities/473158286 this link has just one lap of the loop.

We will also have a 900m long kiddie course which little kiddies will run once and slightly bigger kids run twice. The parents will have to run with the children. The exact age that constitutes old enough to run is a thorny issue and this time we are essentially trusting the parents to be sensible - within reason.
https://www.strava.com/activities/473158260
Inigo AlanaJan 25 2016, 11:44amExcellent idea re junior course. Just a few questions about it: do we have to register the kids with IMRA and if so would it be 10 each (considering they may only do this one race in the whole year)? Do we have to pay for them for the actual race too?

Talking from experience, they would probably love having a number pinned to their tops. Depending on numbers, we could use some of the adult spare ones.
Shane O'MalleyJan 25 2016, 2:02pmJust to be clear, if you already have your race number and have already bought race vouchers do you still need to go to The merry ploughboy to sign in?

Also is that where the presentation etc will be after the race?

Sorry, the answers are probably yes but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

Shane
Brian O MurchuJan 25 2016, 2:06pmEveryone intending to run at Hellfire will need to sign-in at registration
Laurence QuinnJan 25 2016, 6:14pmIs it possible to register for a student entry fee pre-race now, or has this fee been abolished?
I can't find it in the online registration.
Paul O'GradyJan 25 2016, 9:03pmGreat idea to have a kiddies race Peter. My two are dying to do a bit of hill running. My Three Year Old managed the route to Fairy Castle from the Upper Car Park via the Boneshaker last weekend - they are never too young to start.

What time were you thinking of having the kiddies race at?
Peter O'FarrellJan 25 2016, 9:40pmHi Paul,

The kiddie run/walk fun event will start just after the main race ~ 11:05am. The aim is to have all the children off the fireroad before the adults start returning via the same fireroad.
To be totally honest none of the junior guidelines I can find refer to three year olds and so we have to hope that parents are sensible and that includes carrying the little ones if they get tired or the course is too difficult for them. 900m with 30metres of climb will be hard for teeny ones.
I have to get confirmation (with regard to insurance cover for unregistered kids and their fun event) but my initial plan is not to have any charges for the kiddies - this is planned as a fun event for the small ones with the emphasis on following a marked route as opposed to racing.
With the short timeframe before the adults return it is not feasible to run separate age group races as you might see in cyclocross or cross country running and so all the differing ages will start together – with their parents.

@Shane - Everyone doing the main race must sign-in at The Merry Ploughboy. Prize giving will be in the Merry Ploughboy.
This is an early season race and there will be plenty of confusion with regards to registration and sign-on so we would prefer to deal with all the confusion indoors, getting soft!

Parking is limited at both the pub and the Hellfire so please try to carpool from home or indeed cycle to the race.

thanks
Peter O'FarrellJan 27 2016, 10:05amHi, A few more volunteers would be very useful on Sunday at Hellfire, in particular a first aider.

Please take note of your 2016 RACE number and use that at sign-on. (you have other IMRA numbers related to order ID, voucher ID and so on)

We have a modified 2016 registration form for the children's event that children/parents can fill in on the day - anyone taking part in an IMRA event must be an IMRA member. The kids will not get a 2016 race number. We will have a one off race number for them. Designed in the UK I believe :)

There is no fee for the kids race as it may be a one off event.
Adrian HennessyJan 27 2016, 11:05amPeter,
I'll do race marker or first aid.
thanks,
Adrian
Henny BrandsmaJan 27 2016, 12:16pmHi Peter.
If I can get rid of my bad cold before sunday I could give you a hand at sunday's race.
Regards: henny.
Peter O'FarrellJan 27 2016, 1:01pmThanks Adrian,

I will put you down for first aid so. Thanks again.

Henny, if your cold improves I will ask you do be a course marshall on the day, if not - get well soon!
Jeff FitzsimonsJan 28 2016, 8:41pmPeter, if you still need people out on the course or to help with corraling the munchkins let me know and I will stick my name down.
Peter O'FarrellJan 28 2016, 10:02pmThanks Jeff,

We will definitely need a marshall on the kids course where they turn back left off the main fireroad or else 900m will quickly (or slowly) become about 4km :)

So yes please!
Peter O'FarrellJan 29 2016, 12:46pmSign-on for Hellfire and registration for kiddies race are all at The Merry Ploughboy from 9.30am to 10.30am on Sunday. Everyone has to go to The Merry Ploughboy. Apologies for that if you already have your number.

Bronagh Gavigan has kindly offered to look after the kids registration and will have a separate registration desk - no sweets though as sugar is now bad :(

Race Sign-in and Sign-on closes at 10.30. Race starts at 11am in Hellfire 3.5km away by car and a little closer by trail up through Masseys Wood. Bring your mandatory jacket please :)
Pól Ó MurchúJan 29 2016, 10:36pmPlease note that registration for this race will close at 6pm tomorrow evening. After this time there will be no preregistered entries available and annual membership/ voucher purchase will be temporarily unavailable. If you wish to run this race you will need to be a member for 2016 and have either purchased a 10 race voucher (or have the use of one) or have preregistered online by this time!
henny brandsmaJan 30 2016, 12:43pmHi Peter.
Unfortunately my cold has not much improved,so I can't
help in tomorrows race,would love to have come out but
there are always more race's this year were I can volunteer.
Regards Henny.
Laura FlynnJan 30 2016, 12:54pmI just entered tomorrow's race and I just see Henny can't help out. I've put my name down to volunteer . Preferably as a running one but if needed will not run.
Andrew HanneyJan 30 2016, 1:46pmAny more volunteers needed? Looks like injury will not allow me to run. I can help out and head out on course to take race photos....
James CurranJan 30 2016, 4:18pmI can volunteer if needed. Only done marshalling and shadow laptop before.
Peter O'FarrellJan 30 2016, 8:10pmThe Merry Ploughboy have kindly offered to open up at 9.15am to allow us to set up registration in their UPSTAIRS section.

Thanks Laura and Andrew and James for volunteering.
We will open registration at 9.30am and with your help we have plenty of volunteers.
Henny - no problem and get well soon.
James - If you could help with the laptop again that would be brilliant.

The course is marked as per the current guidelines - ie: follow the tape. There is tape at junctions - follow the tape. There is no "blocking" tape, the only tape is for you to follow, there are arrows where the course leaves a large fireroad and joins a smaller trail to the right.
Karl Corcoran Jan 30 2016, 8:21pmHey, is it too late to register for tomorrow. I'm trying to renew my membership and register for tomorrow and I'm struggling...!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated...!!! Thanks.
Peter O'FarrellJan 30 2016, 9:15pmHi Karl,

Short answer is yes, you are too late and cannot race tomorrow.
Sorry about that.

The longer answer is that the online system closes before a race to allow the race organisers print out lists;

2016 yearly registered runners to date
2016 current vouchers to date
Race pre-entries

regards,
Peter

ps: the Raheny 5 still take on the day entry is you are mad to race..
Peter O'FarrellJan 30 2016, 9:15pmHi Karl,

Short answer is yes, you are too late and cannot race tomorrow.
Sorry about that.

The longer answer is that the online system closes before a race to allow the race organisers print out lists;

2016 yearly registered runners to date
2016 current vouchers to date
Race pre-entries

regards,
Peter

ps: the Raheny 5 still take on the day entry is you are mad to race..
Ken MurrayJan 30 2016, 9:55pmHi...just realised Ive missed he registration cut-off too. I see the note re the Raheny 5 but not sure how this works - can someone give me more info ? Thanks !
Anthony AlexanderJan 30 2016, 10:31pmI was about to purchase vouchers so I can run tomorrow's race, only to find voucher purchase has been suspended.

I'm very disappointed because this is the closest race all year to my home. Is there any possibility of running it?

I was fully aware of the new non-cash requirements in 2016, but there was no prior warning (except hidden in the forum) that purchasing vouchers would be suspended. This should be included in the home page posting etc.

Suggestion: 6pm the day before the race is a tad early, especially as people are getting used to the new arrangements. This will catch out a lot of people for the foreseeable future. Why not 6 hours before a race instead, or midnight, because printing lists should only take 5 minutes right? I'd happily volunteer to do this printing for some races if that helps.
Tim ChapmanJan 30 2016, 10:36pmIt is on the home page and the events page. While it may not stipulate 6 it does say the day before the race.

Tim
Pól Ó MurchúJan 30 2016, 10:58pmHi Anthony, In fairness it is posted in multiple places. Home Page, separate event page, Race page and forum. If you have already registered as a member you can "borrow" or buy a race from another runner as these are transferable between runners. If not then I'm afraid not.
Gavan DuffyJan 31 2016, 10:10amHellfire barrier to carpark is closed. There is no parking. Everyone needs to park at The MerryPloughboy
Anthony AlexanderJan 31 2016, 10:51amThe homepage posting says:

"Registration will close the day before the race to facilitate getting list of entrants over to race directors in time. As usual vouchers can be used to purchase multiple entries to facilitate registering for children, friends etc. "

This doesn't mention anything about purchasing membership and vouchers. I read this literally, and did not extrapolate that other forms of entry would also be closed the day before. I've re-read this several times and still cannot see where it says voucher purchasing will be closed.
Gavan DuffyJan 31 2016, 1:11pmAnother fantastic day out. Thank you to all! Looking forward to the next one
Cillin CorbettJan 31 2016, 3:01pmThanks to all the volunteers for the race today. Quickly uploaded results are always appreciated.
Andrew HanneyJan 31 2016, 5:40pmMy photos are up. Well done to all the runners and volunteers on a great race.
James H CahillJan 31 2016, 6:36pmThank you Peter, Orla and all volunteers for a great run in the hills today. Well done also on the kiddies race, a great idea and innovation.
John BellJan 31 2016, 7:43pmThanks to Peter and his team of volunteers for putting on the race and getting the getting the results up so quickly.
Peter O'FarrellJan 31 2016, 8:15pmOur glorious leader Pól, ably assisted by Jim Fitz, were responsible for putting up the results so quickly.

Thanks again to both the The Merry Ploughboy and all the volunteers for putting on the race today and the racers for parking considerately when the barrier remained locked.

Whilst I am usually loath to single out individuals I feel the laptopper is really really (really) an absolutely vital job and I was very lucky to have a brilliant man in Jim on the keyboard today, ably assisted also.

The next two races are also early season events with attendant potential for confusion, life is so much easier with good volunteers. Please consider volunteering for Brockagh and Ticknock in the key role of laptop should you be either injured or otherwise available.

thanks.
Laura FlynnFeb 1 2016, 3:38pmGreat race report Jack. I wonder who this Brendan guy who " loves going to the pub" is !?
James CurranFeb 2 2016, 10:11amPeter, could you record my name as a volunteer? I did assistant laptop operator on Sunday. Thanks, James
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 2 2016, 12:05pmDone James.
James CurranFeb 3 2016, 10:36amGreat thanks.
Stephen PerryMar 29 2016, 10:37pmHi, I'm recorded in the results of this race but I didn't run, can someone amend it please .??