Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mike LongJan 13 2016, 4:45pmDear All
I have volunteered to mark this.
However given that last year I managed to get many people lost on the tricky downhill bit through the forest and that it is a relatively long race, some help from a co-marker would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Mike LongJan 13 2016, 4:47pmSorry. The race I am referring to is Ticknock Winter on Feb 27.
Mike
Aidan BligheJan 13 2016, 10:56pmHi Mike,i thought you marked it really well last year. Only takes 1 to go wrong for several more to follow them off course
Mike LongJan 17 2016, 5:05pmDear All
Greg Byrne has kindly agreed to give me a hand at Ticknock so we should be OK
and also Aidan thanks for posting the message above. Your support is appreciated.
Mike
Bronagh CheethamJan 19 2016, 2:06pmI echo Aidans post Mike, so much so, am happy to RD knowing the race marking is in safe hands with you both.
Bronagh CheethamJan 19 2016, 2:13pmLaurence, if want to drop me a note on bronaghcheetham01@gmail.com when get a chance, many tks - great to have help lined up already!
Bronagh CheethamFeb 9 2016, 1:01pmlots openings for volunteers for Ticknock Winter! U know what to do...tks in advance ;-)
Bronagh CheethamFeb 18 2016, 10:16amanother shout out for volunteers for this race to sign up please so I can get roles organised. Cheers
Richard ChurchFeb 18 2016, 12:16pmHi Bronagh, I've added myself as First Aid officer. I'm hoping we don't have the ice of last year - if so I might need a couple of extra helpers on the day. Richard
Bronagh CheethamFeb 18 2016, 12:52pmgreat, tks Richard. yes that's for sure!
Mike LongFeb 19 2016, 2:49pmDear All
Greg, Laurence and I did a recce of the route yesterday.
Greg's route plot is as follows
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/169955
It is much as last year with small diversions to avoid a very wet area at the southern end and the new bike trial. It is great fun, particularly the descent from the aerials! However it will be is a tough race on rough often rocky ground Wearing of fell running shoes or similar with a good grip is recommended.
Mike

Marshalls?
Trevor CorcoranFeb 23 2016, 1:56pmHi Guys,
Im considering entering the upcoming Ticknock race, but i was wondering about the jacket rule; Does the jacket need to be waterproof and with a hood, or would a windproof jacket(no hood) suffice? Sorry for the newbie question but i don't want to drive all the way to Dublin only to be turned around at the start line because of my jacket..
Regards
Trevor
Bronagh CheethamFeb 23 2016, 2:11pmhi Trevor
Generally for the shorter races such as this one a windproof should be fine although many will opt for a waterproof. For longer and/or unmarked races something more waterproof may be required and will be at discretion of the Race Director for that race. Its always advisable to have a buff/hat too. So in answer to your Q, I wont turn you away for having a windproof, choice of jacket will be up to yourself as long as you have one on/with you throughout the race ;-)
Trevor CorcoranFeb 24 2016, 8:00amThanks Bronagh,
Hope to see you there.
Trevor
Andrew HanneyFeb 24 2016, 8:14amI should be there to take race photos.
Bronagh CheethamFeb 24 2016, 4:52pmgreat Andrew, might get you stand at a point to marshall race then too if that's ok. will be in touch.

Really need a few more volunteers folks if anyone can do so. Thanks
Kevin ShannonFeb 24 2016, 9:48pmCan I just turn up and register on the day if I am not yet an IMRA member?
Mick HanneyFeb 24 2016, 10:30pmFraid not. See link on home page entitled "New registration details 2016"
Peter ParkerFeb 24 2016, 10:41pmSo guys, unfortunately I wont be able to attend. There is no carpool available anywhere near my location (DeansGrange, Foxrock) And busses are starting too late.
David G FassbenderFeb 26 2016, 7:38amHi All,

Just paid my annual membership online. There's no option to sign up/pay for this race. Can I pay on the day?

Thanks very much,

David.
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2016, 8:55amHi,

Purchase online for Ticknock seems to have closed off prematurely? It was available last night but not now?

If you know you are doing other races this year there is the option to buy race vouchers available. 10 vouchers for €50. Or if you are friendly with another runner and can get a race voucher from them.

Regards,

Mick
Shane O'MalleyFeb 26 2016, 9:06amRace entry closed early again? Only this morning i got a mail with the new registration details which stated "Online registration for membership, races or race vouchers closes at 6 pm the day before each race to allow the race director enough time to run the reports of those entered and registered."

Can we clarify what is the correct rule as i think entry closed for the previous race two days before the race.
Eoin KeithFeb 26 2016, 9:10amI've re-opened it temporarily for this morning. The lesson here is if you know you're going to run, don't leave it until the last minute to pay online.
Brendan LawlorFeb 26 2016, 9:19amHi Eoin

I think it would be helpful to clarify whether the €7 race entry option ends at 6pm the day before the race (as Pol has said) or two days before the race as seems to be happening
Shane O'MalleyFeb 26 2016, 9:43amHi Eoin,

I dont have any issues with a cut off time but i just was looking for a definitive rule that i can say to the members of my running group.

I am not sure if Peter Parker is reading the forum but if you are still looking for a lift i can swing by Deansgrange if you want to email me on shane.omalley@gmail.com

Shane

Thanks

Shane
Paul SmythFeb 26 2016, 2:39pmHi Eoin, with all due respect I don't think it's either fair or reasonable to have some vague specification that you 'don't leave it until the last minute to pay online'.

What is the last minute? Is it now Thursday night? What time on Thursday night? Midnight, nine o'clock, six o'clock?

People need a clear and non-moving deadline. It has been stated unambiguously several times before that this deadline was 6pm the day before the race. Is your statement now official IMRA policy? If it is then it's very prompt notice to be telling people now.

Oh wait, here's an idea...

'Don't leave it to the last minute' to tell us that the deadline has changed!
Paul KevilleFeb 26 2016, 4:08pmIs there still volunteers needed for tomorrow? I can't run and am available to help out. Also with the cut of point for registration. There are times with my work that I dont know if I'll make it so I can be one of those last minute entries. I agree with paul if there is a cut of time it should be adhered to by competitors and race directors
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2016, 5:50pmAll the more reason to have vouchers so. Or talk nicely to someone around event registration who has spare. I managed to lend 2 vouchers at last race and I didn't even run myself.

Tying down an exact time every weekend would require IT scheduling which might not be possible. That, or it needs
a person to be doing that job at that time every week, which is putting an onus on someones availability and their access to online etc. So I can see where Eoin is coming from.
Andrew HanneyFeb 26 2016, 5:51pmThat's exactly where race vouchers are ideal. Get a voucher book and skip the race pre registration requirement.
Andrew HanneyFeb 26 2016, 5:56pmPaul, as far as I know we could do with another marshal or two if you're around.
Paul KevilleFeb 26 2016, 6:21pmGrand I just put myself down there now let me know what time you need me there
David G FassbenderFeb 26 2016, 6:27pmThanks for reopening registration. Have purchased my entry now.

Apologies for a further question but where are race vouchers explained on the site?
Angus TynerFeb 26 2016, 6:43pmI can't find reference to junior/short course. Is this the same as last year, straight up the bone shaker to rejoin the main route?
Andrew HanneyFeb 26 2016, 7:19pmPaul, volunteers meeting at 8:40.
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 26 2016, 7:47pmRegistration has just closed now...
I was just about to reopen this morning when I seen all the discussion and Eoin had already reopened. Apologies for the error in the timing here. The system defaults to 12:01 and I though I had amended time. We will work on this to get it right going forward.
Laurence QuinnFeb 26 2016, 10:31pmAngus,
The short course will not be the same as last year. It will be an out-and-back route that follows the long route for roughly 2km until the entry to forest. There will be a marshall there to signal the turnaround.
Bronagh CheethamFeb 26 2016, 11:00pmTks Angela and Paul great if u could come along. 8.40 am.
David come talk to me2mrw and I can talk u through vouchers.
Apologies for mix up on registeration, I see the committee have sorted that now.
See y'all in morn
James KeaneFeb 26 2016, 11:20pmForgot to register and only realising this now, only myself to blame. No point gong in the morning kown I assume to run?
Paul V MitchellFeb 27 2016, 2:07pmReally enjoyed it.
Well organised race.
Thanks to the volunteers.
What time do results usually appear?
Karen DevenneyFeb 27 2016, 3:25pmResults are up, any issues email me at karen.devenney at imra dot ie

We try to get results up as soon as we can but it can take anything from hours to days depending on, well life! Glad to hear you enjoyed today Paul and hopefully we'll see you back next week. Well done to Bronagh and volunteers for a great morning out and a special thanks to the brilliant race markers, you did a fantastic job!
Owen FletcherFeb 27 2016, 4:22pmReally well organised race....exceptionally well marked although somehow I managed to go wrong twice. Doh! Totally my own fault.
Thanks a lot to the volunteers...I haven't volunteered yet (as I volunteer most Saturdays at parkrun) but will definitely lend a hand soon. Absolutely love imra runs!
Graham ChampFeb 27 2016, 4:28pmReally enjoyed this race & well done to the guys who marked out the course as I don;t think that it could have been any better. It made running through the forest parts easy to navigate & great fun. Thanks to all organisers.
Angus TynerFeb 27 2016, 4:37pmBelated thanks to Laurence for explaining the junior course. We were able to make an informed choice and it saved a journey ending in disappointment.
James H CahillFeb 27 2016, 7:32pmThank you Bronagh and all the volunteers for a great race in the hills. The course was the most extensively marked I have ever seen. Whilst it may have taken 3 days to mark, it looks like it may take a week to demark. Thank you everyone for a great race.
Mike LongFeb 27 2016, 9:04pmDear All
Thanks for all the nice words about the race and the marking today. The marking / de-marking was a team effort by Laurence, Greg and myself and don't worry we were back, with de-marking done, at Lamb Doyle's in plenty of time for a sandwich at 1215
Mike
Trevor Woods1Feb 27 2016, 10:24pmJust to echo the comments on the well organised event. Well done and just to say thanks to all the organisers & runners who came to the aid of my wife & kids & lifted/dragged our car out of the ditch near the finish line......interesting photos will be posted!
Bronagh CheethamFeb 27 2016, 11:03pmCan't thank the team of volunteers enough for today. Couldn't, wouldn't do it without you all. Great to get through it all almost unscathed. Eithne hope ankle heals soon..ur in safe hands! Hope u all enjoyed the tasty sambo n teas sponsored by IMRA. Pub provided soups for extra I saw but don't think anyone minded that. Here's to the next!
Mary CollinsFeb 28 2016, 3:02pmThanks Bronagh and team for a very well directed race and all the work that went on behind the scenes.
Thanks to Mike, Greg and Laurence for all their work ahead of race ond on race day to ensure the route was well marked.
Mary Collins