Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mweelrea

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanJun 30 2016, 7:21pmHi Folks,

A few notes...

Two Summit Marshalls needed.

The Race will start at 1.30pm from the car park beside the Silver Strand.

Race Registration will open at 12.15pm and close at 1.20pm
NO money will be taken for registration. You MUST either preregister or use your voucher.

For those of who have not done so before - in order to preregister you log into myimra - pay your 10 euro membership fee - and then pay the entrance fee for the race - note the reference number - print the email confirmation and bring it to the race - you then collect your race number and sign in.

PLEASE NOTE

For this race preregistration WILL CLOSE on Friday 8th July at 2pm.

Early Start at 12.30pm - just let Race Director Paddy Lord know.

There is a kit requirement for this race - longsleeved rainproof jacket - hat/gloves - bumbag with biscuits/chocolate or whatever suits you and water
Map - compass and whistle and your mobile phone.

You will be required to either wear or carry your jacket no matter what the conditions. This is mandatory. Failure to do so will result in a dnf!!

Don't forget the mobile phone number on the back of your race number. If you need to use it you MUST RING the number and NOT text it. This will automatically go to the Race Directors phone.

Mweelrea is NOT suitable for either beginners or juniors. Please DO NOT make this your first mountain race.

Car Parking is in the car park beside the Silver Strand.

Prizegiving will be in the car park.
Stuart ScottJul 1 2016, 5:41pmHi all,

A group of us are planning to stay in Old Head Caravan Park this year (http://www.oldheadcaravanpark.ie/gallery.html). (Un)fortunately the campsite in Lecanvey isn't open (like in Father Ted, I suspect it wasn't really a campsite after all!) but from the photos, this looks like a very worthwhile alternative. Thanks to Alice for the suggestion and all the organising.

Anyone else like to join us? The more the merrier and the wholy bbq will indeed be making an appearance. Bernard, any chance your usual wood supply could also head west?

It's shaping up to be a good weekend anyway, can't wait!

Stuart
Niall McAlindenJul 4 2016, 12:26pmJust wondering if anyone is driving to this from south Dublin on the Saturday morning. I'm home for the weekend and thinking of doing the race.
Tanya SheridanJul 4 2016, 6:11pmNiall, somewhat weather dependent but I almost certainly will - leaving from Ballsbridge. Do you want to email me at tanya.sheridan@imra.ie to make a plan? :)
Tanya SheridanJul 4 2016, 6:11pmNiall, somewhat weather dependent but I almost certainly will - leaving from Ballsbridge. Do you want to email me at tanya.sheridan@imra.ie to make a plan? :)
Stuart ScottJul 7 2016, 11:00amHi all,

Just a reminder about the bbq on Sat night after Mweelrea. All welcome! IMRA will supply the meat as usual but if you could post here or give me a shout so we know how many to cater for that would be great.

Also if anyone has any wood lying around, can you bring it?

Thanks!

Stuart
Donal FloodJul 7 2016, 12:16pmHi Stuart, I'm down to volunteer for this one and race on Sunday. I'm leaving Dublin after work Friday evening, but can pick up sticks for BBQ when I'm home (Longford) on Fri night. Is the BBQ in the caravan park? Will prob book in there if it is.
Vivian,
I can do summit Marshall on Saturday. Haven't been down there before. What time do you need me to be at the car park for?
Vivian O'GormanJul 7 2016, 1:12pmHi Folks,

This is a reminder...

PREREGISTRATION CLOSES TOMORROW - FRIDAY - AT 2PM..

NO money will be taken for entries on the day. So if you haven't pre registered or you don't have a race voucher you can't run in the race.

Remember to bring your mandatory jacket and official race number. Also the kit requirement as listed above. The weather may not be too enthusiastic!!

Donal pplease ring me on Saturday at 11am - 087 4150398
Stuart ScottJul 7 2016, 2:41pmThanks Donal, that'd be great. Yep it's in the Old Head caravan park. There's at least 15 of us staying so far so should be good craic. The more the merrier (assuming they have space)!
Catherine DevittJul 7 2016, 2:57pmVivian and Paddy, unfortunately, I have to pull out of volunteering for Mweelrea race. Apologies. Stuart, have informed Alice re. my camping spot. Have fun all.
Donal FloodJul 7 2016, 4:59pmVivian,
I'll bell ya at 11am on Saturday. What time should I aim to be at the car park?

Stuart,
Camping is full, so I got an Airbnb. I can give you the timber after the race in Mweelrea. Thanks Donal
Stuart ScottJul 7 2016, 5:17pmHi Donal, there's probably a space now as Catherine had to pull out. I'd say turn up on spec anyway and worst case, the bbq will probably be near the beach anyway...
Donal FloodJul 7 2016, 5:36pmNo worries Stuart, i got a nice gaff at foot of Cough Patrick, so i'll be well rested for race on Sunday:) Chat ya Saturday after the race anyhow..
Patrick FoleyJul 7 2016, 9:36pmI wonder if anyone would be able to give me a spin from Westport out and/or back? I can be in Westport at 11-ish. I would be really grateful!
Lorcan FarrellJul 8 2016, 12:22amHi Folks, heading down for the Mweelrea/Croaghpatrick race on saturday morning. leaving dublin 7:30am and returning Sunday after the race. Have room for 1, possibly 2 more in the car, mail me at lorcanf at gmail dot com if interested.
Stuart ScottJul 8 2016, 10:50amHi all, this may sound like a weird request but some of ye will know why. Does anyone have a bit of waste metal lying around that can withstand high temperatures and find its way to Mayo...? A piece about 1m x 0.5m would be ideal.

(For those that know why, there's no need to worry1).

PS Donal, that's no excuse :-)
Patrick FoleyJul 8 2016, 12:11pmHey Loran, I would gladly take a spin off of you tomorrow morning if it's still available - that would be perfect! I'll mail you now, thanks, Paddy
Donal FloodJul 8 2016, 3:20pmStuart,
I'll have a root about when i get home, but I doubt there are off cuts about.
Donal FloodJul 8 2016, 3:20pmStuart,
I'll have a root about when i get home, but I doubt there are off cuts about.
Alan AylingJul 8 2016, 7:53pmPiece of metal located and will be brought.
Vivian O'GormanJul 10 2016, 10:45pmHi All,

Thank you to everyone for a great weekend. Despite the rain and mist it was still most enjoyable.

Thanks to Paddy Lord for being Race Director.

And there I was thinking nobody will spot me coming across the sand. They will be too busy talking - eating Judy and Denise's lovely sambos and looking up the road for the wanderers. But boy oh boy was I wrong. I think I was as red as my jacket!! What a reception that was!

The race was won by Niall Mc Alindan and Diane Wilson

Results will be up in a day or two.
John ShielsJul 10 2016, 10:51pmLet that be a warning to anyone how hears Vivian saying " I know a short cut" at the start of a race! :)
Mick HanneyJul 11 2016, 12:17pmVivian. I think a detailed race report is in order.
Pól Ó MurchúJul 17 2016, 11:24pmResults are up now. Apologies for the delay. Thanks again to Mick for taking the time to find these yesterday and for sending them on to us.