Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galtee Crossing

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Catherine MurphyJun 4 2016, 4:53pmCan anyone tell me if this event is now closed for entries for July 3rd?? Thanks Catherine
Paul SmythJun 4 2016, 9:27pmCan someone confirm the date for this event. Last year's was run in conjunction with Galtee Walking Club and they are listing this year's event as taking place on June 28th.

So is this now an IMRA event running on July 3rd. or is it taking place the previous Sunday in conjunction with the Galtee Walkers event?
Robbie WilliamsJun 6 2016, 8:39amEntries will be online only opening next week

It is the date specified on the site, it is not being run with the Walking Club this year on their request.

No entries on morning as entries will dictate bus seats needed.
Anglesborough to Cahir Castle is the route 32km

Nav ability needed
Alan AylingJun 6 2016, 9:54pmLooks like a superb event. What's the best map to use?
Michael McSweeneyJun 7 2016, 10:04amAlan,
I used the OS 74 map last year. I photocopied the route onto 2 A4 pages, and marked out the route. Easier to carry than the full map.
There are maps and a GPX file for the Galtee Hill Walking Event on their website which are quite helpful.
http://galteewalkingclub.ie/challenge.html
Matthew BranchJun 10 2016, 9:56amCan't enter online yet - will this be up soon?
Karen DevenneyJun 11 2016, 9:07pmRegistration is open now until 11pm Sat 25June. Cost €25
Robert McEvoyJun 13 2016, 2:35pmHi Robert/Robbie, can you confirm which peaks will be mandatory checkpoints this year - there is potential to avoid some of the climb if not all peaks are mandatory. Also leaving the mountains for Cahir castle, will there be any checkpoints along the way (i.e. could one cut through the forest). Thanks!
Mike JordanJun 13 2016, 3:33pmRobert has asked 2 of the 3 questions I was going to ask! So after mandatory checkpoints and free route choice my third question was going to be what time the bus will leave on the morning? Race start is at 9am so I guess the bus will leave around 8:30am? Thanks!
Michael McSweeneyJun 13 2016, 10:30pmAny sign of entry opening soon?
Michael McSweeneyJun 13 2016, 10:30pmAny sign of entry opening soon?
Michael McSweeneyJun 14 2016, 10:35amSorted. :-) That was the easy bit.
Robbie WilliamsJun 14 2016, 7:21pmHi Mike, I will get full list of peaks for you. Most of the high points must be visited and you will be issued with an orienteering card which must be punched at each point. The card can then be handed in at finish.
Robbie WilliamsJun 14 2016, 7:21pmHi Mike, I will get full list of peaks for you. Most of the high points must be visited and you will be issued with an orienteering card which must be punched at each point. The card can then be handed in at finish.
Kevin O'RiordanJun 17 2016, 12:03amIs there a mistake with the entry fee under "Purchase IMRA products"? Says in the event details page and the forum that the entry fee is 25 and when I checked under "Purchase IMRA Products" yesterday it was 25, but I just went to register now and it's gone up to 30.
Pól Ó MurchúJun 17 2016, 7:36amEarly bird offer...well spotted Kevin. Should have bought at 25...bit like a Ryanair flight...price goes up with demand! Don't wait around too long it could be €50 next week! :-) yes price was put up wrong...I forgot to change in the race details.
Robbie WilliamsJun 21 2016, 2:58pmAttention Guys..

The Galtee Crossing is open until Friday 1st at 11pm.
It is €30 which includes hot meal (carvery) and event t-shirt. Limited to 60 t-shirts so first come first served.
Francis ShanahanJun 22 2016, 7:53pmHey, I'm coming from the USA and hoping to run this one. How the heck do I enter? I can't see any link to purchase IMRA membership and can't find any way to enter the race. Sorry, ex-pat here. Save me a spot! Help me out!
Pól Ó MurchúJun 22 2016, 8:12pmVery easy Francis...I'm assuming since you have posted under your profile that you have managed to register on the site. So up the top you should see an option "purchase IMRA products" and in here you will find all you need...however as there is a race tonight it may be temporarily disabled and should be available later tonight or tomorrow.
Robbie WilliamsJun 22 2016, 8:23pmHi France's

I sent you an email re above.
Robbie WilliamsJun 22 2016, 8:27pmTo all interested runners..

We are going to push a cap of 60 runners so please reg asap as will close reg if limit reached before date advertised.

Please note: ABSOLUTELY NO REG ON DAY AND AFTER CUT /LIMIT.

This is to ensure safety and also to make sure of good organisation of transfer bus, food and t-shirts.

Thank you..

Ps: no sob stories after like no internet access etc blast blast blaa blaa after limit
Pól Ó MurchúJun 22 2016, 9:19pmHow about "my dog ate my internet" ...surely that will get me a late entry!
Robbie WilliamsJun 23 2016, 2:01pmPictures required Pol
Francis ShanahanJun 23 2016, 9:05pmSo looks like it's still disabled. I clicked "Purchase IMRA products" but I see only the option to purchase the Yearbook. I don't see any races or any option to purchase IMRA membership. My brother (James Shanahan) and sister (Catherine Murphy) I believe are both entered so we are serious about the race. I landed in Dublin this morning, tried this evening (23rd) and still no luck. I'm gonna check back in the morning, maybe it's disabled? Please take my money!!!
Aisling MurphyJun 23 2016, 10:23pmI also can't seem to register. The only link under purchase IMRA products is for the yearbook
Cath ChalmersJun 24 2016, 12:27pmThe website entry is working fine from here in Australia. Looking forward to it. Cath
Fergal DownesJun 24 2016, 4:45pmHi. Just wondering if the full list of peaks is known yet. Was hoping to do a mini recce at a whir end this weekend.
Fergal DownesJun 24 2016, 4:47pmCahir end - sorry spellchecker doesn't recognise Cahir
Francis ShanahanJun 24 2016, 8:10pmSuccess! I was able to register this afternoon for both membership and race. So looks like I'm all set. Thanks and looking forward to Sunday. -fs
Robbie WilliamsJun 28 2016, 5:20amPeaks list to hit: (subject to alteration)

Temple hill, Wall Corner before Galtymore , Galtybeag, Fearbeaga, Slieveanard, Hammer Head,
Robbie WilliamsJun 28 2016, 5:21am10 places left as of this post.
Mike JordanJun 28 2016, 11:58amCheckpoint Grid Reference
Start/Anglesborough R803211
Temple Hill (785m) R833218
Wall Corner (756m) R863242
Galtybeg (799m) R890241
Farbreaga (724m) R934249
Slieveanard (438m) R991258
Hammer Head (320m) S011269
Finish/Cahir Castle S050247
Mike JordanJun 28 2016, 12:01pmThought these might be useful - please correct me if any of these are wrong!
Paul SmythJun 28 2016, 12:14pmHi Mike,

I think it's good that you've provided these but I really think the RD should be providing them. Also the stipulation that they are subject to alteration is a bit worrying given that the race is in less than a week.

I can't find Hammer Head on the OS sheet and your grid ref seems to be a path junction NE of the last peak at height 449 m. Is this the correct location?

Also your Wall Corner ref. seems to be on Slievecushnabinnia whereas there is a section of wall shortly before the final ascent up Galtymore which I would have thought more likely. These kinds of issues are exactly the reason that the RD should publish a definitive list of grid references.
Mike JordanJun 28 2016, 1:38pmTo be clear, I am not involved in organizing this event so don't take these grid references as definite. These grid references are from doing the challenge walk 2 years ago. I posted them as I thought they might be useful. The Hammer Head grid reference is a turning circle at the end of the fireroad just as you enter the forest after the spot height (499m). This is almost definitely the best place to enter the forest. The Wall Corner grid reference was for the wall at Slievecushnabinnia which is where it was for the walk, it may not be the correct location for the race.
Organising and race directing races is time consuming. Especially one that involves crossing a mountain range and when you are a volunteer giving up your free time to plan it. It's possible Robbie is still organising volunteers to man checkpoints or put out control punches which would change the mandatory control points. I'm sure as soon as he can confirm details he will. I'm very thankful of the work involved in organizing these races and very much looking forward to Sunday!
Paul SmythJun 28 2016, 3:01pmI deeply respect and appreciate the work done by Robbie and all the other RD's.

Despite that, I don't believe it should be considered out of order for me to ask for definitive information on the route, especially given that it's a 30 km+ open mountain race, which might take place in poor weather conditions.

I looked at the details posted by Robbie and reached one set of conclusions. You posted another which conflicts in part with that. Only Robbie can provide definitive details and that's why I said we needed the information from him.
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 29 2016, 4:21pmI am presuming this is the route? http://www.galteewalkingclub.ie/images/crossing.jpg
Siobhán WilliamsJun 29 2016, 5:52pmI registered for this event on behalf of my brother (Barry Wiiliams) last night-is this entry valid???
Gordon PlaceJun 29 2016, 9:05pm@Niamh, accept finish is back at the Castle according to Robbie's post?
John J BarryJun 30 2016, 8:19amSiobhan,

If you mean you registered for Galtee Crossing under your name with the intention of giving the entry to your brother. The entry in NOT valid.

For one to enter an IMRA event they must be a member of IMRA for insurance purposes. You brother MUST join IMRA under his own name.
Siobhán WilliamsJun 30 2016, 11:32amMy apologies, I did enter my brother under his username, he is a member. The question I had was in relation to the closing date for entries. This date is listed as being June 25th and he entered after this time. Monies have been debited and his purchase history shows this purchase in the details. Based on this it looks like he's registered...? Regards, Siobhan
Robbie WilliamsJun 30 2016, 2:36pmGuys:
This is route.
Starts at Galtee View Bar and runs across Galtees to Cahir Castle. Approx 32km.

Points to visit are: Templehill, Lyracappul, Galybeg, Fearbreaga, Slieveanard, (Final Unnamed Summit, from here route is marked out through forestry to road.

There are control cards to be punched on reaching orienteering kites in said locations. Full briefing will be given in bus transfer from Cahir to Anglesborough.
Robbie WilliamsJun 30 2016, 2:38pmhttp://galteewalkingclub.ie/challenge.html
Robbie WilliamsJul 1 2016, 4:51pmGaltee Crossing 2016
Welcome to Galtee Crossing 2016. This is an open mountain event, self navigation.
Madatory kit is: Waterproof jacket, Hat, Mobile phone, map & compass/gps. Map essential!

7.30am Assemble at Cahir Castle for sign in.
8.00-8.30 Bus Transfer
9.00am Race Start at Galtee View bar, Anglesborough.
Follow route: Checkpoint Grid Reference
Start/Anglesborough R803211
Temple Hill (785m) R833218
Wall Corner (756m) R863242
Galtybeg (799m) R890241
Farbreaga (724m) R934249
Slieveanard (438m) R991258
Hammer Head (320m) S011269
Finish/Cahir Castle S050247
Downloadable map: http://galteewalkingclub.ie/images/crossing.jpg
GPX File: http://galteewalkingclub.ie/gpx/challengewesteast.php

If for any circumstances, you are unable to make it, please contact the Race Director on the number given on the morning. The best escape route option is to descend from the col between Galtymore and Galtybeg onto the Black Road to the car park. We can then arrange a pick up if is absolutely necessary.
In the case of cloud cover, you must be confident of moving through navigation of compass/map/gps.
From the last trig, directional arrows will lead you to road and to Cahir.
Finish at the Castle (where you registered) and collect your race Tshirt and voucher for a carvery meal.
Paul SmythJul 2 2016, 11:10amHi Robbie,

Is the taped route at the end compulsory? If so, is it the same as the last portion of the route on http://galteewalkingclub.ie/images/crossing.jpg? I only ask in case a tape is missing or for some reason I miss a tape. If I know where the route is supposed to go then I should be able to follow it even without the tapes.

Can I take it that the route between checkpoints is completely free?

Thanks.
Paul SmythJul 2 2016, 11:16amI'm looking for a lift down from the Citywest junction of the N7, if anyone is going down tomorrow and doesn't mind picking up a passenger. Oh ate se7en, too six won six fore O 7.

Thanks,

Paul
Robbie WilliamsJul 2 2016, 2:44pmHi Paul

Marked route at end is certainly recommended as others were checked and lead to some dead ends, impassable paths etc, it's the quickest way out from the last hill
Niamh O'CeallaighJul 2 2016, 5:07pmCormac has entered but is not running if anyone wants his spot. You would have to be registered with IMRA.
Aidan HoganJul 3 2016, 7:39pmGreat event today lads. Thanks to Robbie and fellow organisers and volunteers.