Irish Mountain
Running Association

Djouce (Earl's drive) trail

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Denis VickersFeb 13 2017, 9:54amMorning all - I completed my first IMRA run yesterday and thought it was brilliant from start to finish and well organised - thanks for everyone for helping out.

My question is around footwear - after yesterday I realised I need a pair of trail runners and I am looking to get some advice. I have 100-150€ to spend and thought I would ask the seasoned pro's.
Michael O'DonoghueFeb 13 2017, 12:09pmI got the Saucony Peregrine 7 recently and really like them. They seem to have more cushioning than other trail shoes I've tried. I'll be wearing them in the upcoming Wicklow Way Ultra. Inov8's are probably better for grip, but I use them specifically for mountain events where grip is a lot more important than cushioning
John J BarryFeb 13 2017, 1:24pmMichael,

No one pair of shoes is going to cater for all your mountain running experiences. Dry / wet ground makes a huge difference. Last saturday in Cork for the Ultra we were urged to use out and out Fell Running shoes(Mudclaws) for leg one before changing into less aggressive tread for the reminder of the race.

The Inov-8 Trailroc or similar are great mid grip shoes that should be fine for the majority of Leinster League / Wicklow Way Trail. But totally unsuitable for the weekend championship races on open mountain.

Two pairs of mid range shoes might me more suitable than one expensive pair..

A small example..

More aggressive tread for open mountain:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino867/inov~8-mudclaw-300-fell-running-shoes-~-aw16/

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sal894/salomon-fellraiser-fell-running-shoes-~-ss16/

Less aggressive for trail..

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino869/inov8-roclite-280-trail-running-shoes-~-aw16/
Denis VickersFeb 13 2017, 1:55pmThanks guys I really appreciate the feedback
Gordon PlaceFeb 14 2017, 12:09pmSalomon Speedcross did fine for me over the last year, running in most of the IMRA races plus training in various locations/conditions. Grip fairly worn now, got a replacement pair on Sportsshoes.com recently for around €80. Might have been a bit cheaper as they were the last remaining of 2016 model. Insoles did slip forward on the downhills but a dot of superglue under the heel fixed that and still lets you pull them most of the way out for cleaning / drying
Jeff SwordsFeb 15 2017, 12:58pmI see John links to the Roclite 280. I picked up a pair for last year as they were going cheap after wearing 295's for years without issue.

Coming off Tonelagee last year they knocked the crap out of my toes leaving the big one black and swollen and eventually lost the nail, first one ever I lost. So I switched back to my old 295s for the rest of the year without further issue.

I gave the 280s another go at Brockagh the weekend and the very same thing with my big toe on the descent, this time the other foot, which is still annoyingly sore, so that's the end of them.

It's not a lacing issue, and I've read others complain of the forefoot/toebox space causing problems and recommendations to go a size up. There's reviews on Amazon which also mention them pressing on the big toe.

If you don't have a steep and fast descent they're otherwise pretty comfortable.
John J BarryFeb 15 2017, 9:58pmPicking the right shoes is a nightmare. I got a pair of Asics in Kildare village. They looked the business.

Used them in a 60km race before Christmas and lost nails of second toe on both feet. Not pretty. They are Relegated to short runs now
Denis VickersFeb 16 2017, 9:31amThere are a few makes/brands that keep popping up based on all your feedback, so I really appreciate it
Jason DowlingJul 18 2017, 9:41pmHi All,

After tomorrow's end of league handicap race, we will be turning our attention to the trail league. The first of the four races will be next Wednesday (26th July) in Djouce Woods.

I'm looking for a race marker, laptop operator and a first-aid person along with a few more volunteers. For marking, this would be a relatively easy course to mark, so if you want to give it a try, then we can arrange a recci over the next couple of evenings or on Sunday.

Kind regards,
Jason.
Turlough ConwayJul 23 2017, 9:04pmThe elevation gain is down as 283M for this race. Just wondering if this is correct given the same route was stated as 120m fir the same course in other years? Just incase the route will be significantly different. Thanks a mill.
Turlough ConwayJul 23 2017, 9:06pmApolgies. Djouce event forum page is linking here. Ill move above comment to correct thread.
Alan AylingJul 23 2017, 9:28pmTo put this back on topic... anything from regular flat runners to Mudclaws, X-Talons etc can be the right shoe, depending on the race, the terrain, the kind of grip required. Important that it fits well and laces are well done up. Just whatever you do, don't attempt an IMRA race in Vibram Five Fingers. Some poor devil tried that once and came back covered in blood from all the falls.
Turlough ConwayJul 24 2017, 10:17amYes Alan.
Start the race with Vibram 5 fingers, end it neeeing vibram 3 fingers.