Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carrauntoohil

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Loraine CreaneMay 10 2018, 10:48pmWould love to do this race. I'm an IMRA member, can I just show up on the day to enter, is there a limit on entries?
John J BarryMay 11 2018, 8:08amLoraine,

Not to dampen your enthusiasm for mountain running, but are you sure you can handle Carrantuohill? Looking at your race profile - nothing indicates that you are up to that standard.
Carrantuohill is probably the toughest mountain race in Ireland (but in my opinion Galtee Mor is up with it).
If the weather closes in one can get into a serious amount of bother if they do not have excellent mountain/navigation skills.
Paul O'GradyMay 11 2018, 8:31amAh John,

I wouldn’t call it the toughest race we have in Ireland. I’ve ran it twice and only stopped running it because I didn’t think it was worth the drive for a 12k race. The navigation is fairly straightforward. Its pretty much up and down. Yes it’s a steep climb, but if you have done a half marathon, it’s well within your capabilities. I was actually disappointed that it wasn’t tougher!
Brendan LawlorMay 11 2018, 8:34amI can vouch for Loraine- her IMRA profile doesn’t do her any justice - she knows what she is at !

No limit on entries but you will need 2018 IMRA membership and either an online entry or a race voucher Loraine.. give it socks !
John ShielsMay 11 2018, 9:20amAs a general comment to those reading this thread who are not familiar with this race.

"The navigation is fairly straightforward. Its pretty much up and down."

is only true in good weather, which we have every second year on average. In poor visibility/bad weather navigation is difficult, even with map and compass, and there are a number of sections which have a high potential for injury and should not be taken lightly.
It is a Irish champs race for a reason, not a road run.
(and it is a tough one)
John
Brendan Murphy72May 11 2018, 10:09amThe navigation on this race appears to be relatively straight forward, however almost every year a few people take the wrong direction off Caher on the return.

The number who take the wrong direction increases when there's mist but it happens even in good weather.

The volunteers at the finish line usually end up waiting for a few hours for the few who got lost.

So, having a good sense of route and the correct bearings is actually important.
Loraine CreaneMay 12 2018, 11:18pmThanks Brendan for sticking up for me. John J Barry, your a bit harsh on my profile! Good to know it's not the usual walk up, I'll come prepared.
John J BarryMay 13 2018, 8:53amLorraine,

I meant nothing personal and I'm sorry if it appears that way. I can only comment on what I see.

It should be highlighted how tricky the event / mountain can be in poor conditions. While hiking, I had first hand experience of taking the wrong way on this mountain in poor conditions. Its not a nice position to be in.

Regards john
Nick DugganMay 15 2018, 9:13amHi,

When will online entry for this race become available?

thanks,
Nick
Nick DugganMay 15 2018, 9:13amHi,

When will online entry for this race become available?

thanks,
Nick
Rachel CinnsealachMay 27 2018, 11:35pmSo anyone racing Carrauntoohil at the weekend? A group of us from Dublin are heading down and we are staying in Killarney. We're booking a restuarant for Saturday night, and then we'll be heading to the pub!!!! For anyone that wants to know whats going on, were setting up a whatapp group. Link to follow.
Ann HoranMay 27 2018, 11:50pmSo here is the link for the WhatsApp group.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/2NvyL4MPXpXInOVlYDhv2m
derek walshMay 28 2018, 6:55pmI still have vouchers left from last year. Are they still valid and if so can I use them on Saturday. If not there's no panic I'll just enter online.
Cheers
Vivian O'GormanMay 28 2018, 7:26pmHi Folks - Race Info

I am looking for Summit Marshals. I have one - Rachel Cinnsealach. So two more - one for Caher and the other for Carrauntoohil itself. Also a few more non running volunteers for race registration and car park.

The race starts at 1pm

Race Registration will open at 11am and close at 12.30pm SHARP. Please remember,if you don't have a voucher, to Pre Register BEFORE 2pm on Friday.

If you have a voucher then just turn up. If you have recently joined IMRA then you can collect your race number and/or voucher at race registration. Just have proof of purchase with you either on your phone or print out.

No money will be taken on the day and NO entries will be taken at the race start.

The early start is at 12.00pm - just let me know.

The Kit Requirement: A longsleeved rainproof jacket (mandatory) - Hat/Gloves - Bumbag with chocolate/biscuits whatever suits you - Water - Map - Compass - Whistle - Mobile Phone

Remember if you have a problem during the race use the mobile number on the back of your race number. RING this number DON'T text. This will go straight to me as Race Director.

This is NOT a beginners race. Please do not make this your first mountain race. Try an easier shorter Wednesday evening race first.

This race is also NOT suitable for Juniors.

There is absolutely NO parking on the road it is just too narrow. We have a car park for 3 Euro per car. It will be clearly marked. You can carpool from the Climbers Inn.

Prizegiving will be in the Climbers Inn.

Don't forget Pre Entry closes at 2pm on Friday. So enter NOW!!
Vivian O'GormanMay 29 2018, 1:40pmYes Derek you can use your vouchers. You just need to register with IMRA for this year and pick up your race number on Saturday.
Barry MurrayMay 29 2018, 8:58pmDefinitely heed Vivians advice "please do not make this your first mountain race".

Even if you are an experienced mountain runner, this race can hurt you badly, just read my race report from 2016 !

https://www.imra.ie/events/results/id/1400
Conor O'FarrellMay 29 2018, 10:45pmOh shit, what have I signed up for?!
John ShielsMay 30 2018, 8:54amDon't worry Conor, this year it might be pissing rain with howling wind and low cloud making navigation tricky. :)
Raymond LawlorMay 30 2018, 10:48amHi Lads. I've signed up as a helper for Saturday. It's my first time volunteering so I'm in need of direction. Times, locations...That sort of thing. Yee have my email address I'm sure. Cheers.
Warren SwordsMay 30 2018, 12:36pmTo add to Barry's report, Jason and Mick's race reports from 2015 are worth a read.

https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/1261/#1228

Also video from 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owya0jR3jtk&feature=youtu.be
Dean MitchellMay 30 2018, 2:38pmWarren, is this video the course being used this weekend?
Vivian O'GormanMay 31 2018, 12:49pmJust a reminder not to forget that Pre Registration closes tomorrow - Friday - at 2pm.

So do it now. Go to myimra purchase imra products.
Fergal BuckleyMay 31 2018, 6:19pmA word of advise for everyone coming from the Dublin/Limerick direction for Saturday's Carrauntoohil race. The main Limerick/Killarney road is closed between Castleisland and Farrenfore for roadworks. There is a signposted diversion that will add approx 12km to your journey and expect traffic to be heavy on it.

Please do not attempt any shortcut around this diversion on country roads! It's really not fair on the locals.

Alternatively I'd suggest considering coming via the M8 to Mitchelstown and then take the N72 via Mallow
Vivian O'GormanJun 1 2018, 1:40pmPre Race Registration closing shortly at 2pm.

Weather looking good but have whats on the kit list - see list above. We will decide on that tomorrow.

Also bring your Jacket - sun cream and water

See you all tomorrow...
Mícheál O'MullainJun 2 2018, 10:49pmGreat organisation lads many thanks
Barry MurrayJun 4 2018, 4:39pm99 , biggest ever, big report up too !

thanks again to Vivian, Nora and co
Alan ShealyJun 4 2018, 9:38pmHi Vivian, I didn't have my race number with me on Saturday, it is 964,apologies for the awkwardness!
Naoise O GibneJun 5 2018, 11:33pmHi, jut after seeing the results
Reckon I came in 6th place where Thomas Fitz Gough has been put, numbers 1590 could have been taken down wrong.
Savage race thanks a million
Conor O'FarrellJun 6 2018, 12:06am@Naoise, email at Karen.devenney at imra dot ie if you need a result fixed. It is the only official way to do this.
Karen DevenneyJun 6 2018, 5:58pmFolks, I'm aware there are a few issues with the results. I've a bit on this week but I'll sort through the queries & hopefully fix over the next few days.
Karen DevenneyJun 10 2018, 8:15amThink I've addressed all the queries I got, if I missed anything drop me an email
Conor MurphyJun 13 2018, 7:59pmHi Karen, sent you an email...