Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballybraid

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Dermot MurphyApr 10 2008, 10:05amRace Director wanted for Ballybraid. If anyone wants to volunteer as race director, please contact me at dermot.murphy at imra.ie.
Please note that the Race Director will be unable to run the race.
Rene BorgMay 5 2008, 9:41pmIf you'd like to volunteer for the Ballybraid race, please send me a mail at rene.borg at imra.ie.

We're still in need of all key volunteers, laptop operator, first aiders, marshals, and helpers for registration.
cormac o ceallaighMay 6 2008, 12:33pmThere is a recce of Ballybraid taking place this sunday.Meeting at Glenmalure lodge car park at 12pm.The race start is about a mile up the road.If you are planning to do this race and have'nt done it before do try and come along.Please note the following 'health warning' for this race-its a leinster championship race which is very different from a Wednesday night one.Its over exposed mountains and is NOT marked, the distance will be nearly twice the length of a wednesday race, i.e 14km odd.There is a kit requirement of a rain jacket, map, compass and whistle.If we have sufficient volunteers there may be a marshal at key point(s).Its a super race.If you are able to help out please contact Rene Borg .
Moire O'SullivanMay 6 2008, 4:17pmDermot / Rene, Just wanted to confirm the race start / finish. The grid reference given on the website is Gr. T 109913. However, from the description of 1km up the road from the crossroads, are we talking about the race starting from the forest road / tarmac road junction at Gr. T 113917? Wouldn't want Cormac recce-ing the wrong route now, would we? ;o)
Tony KiernanMay 7 2008, 3:06pmMoire, The last time this race was ran in 2005 it started within the forest at a bridge T115 920 with parking at T113 916 (dont know yet if this parking is still available).
cormac o ceallaighMay 8 2008, 7:40amyes, there is parking at the race start.you can either park at glenmalure lodge and jog up(takes 7mins approx) or park at the start, so after you go over the small bridge, its your first left down a forest road, best to go to the end and turn your car around,and all cars park on the one side only so as to avoid congestion and chaos after the race with people trying to get away etc.
Rene BorgMay 9 2008, 10:42amHi all, thanks to everyone who volunteered so far.

We're still in need of a few good marshals. So if anyone fancies a lovely walk and sojourn, give me a shout.
Mick HanneyMay 9 2008, 11:37pmRecced route this evening. Perfect weather and near perfect underfoot conditions for a run. Took 1h 37m but this was from Glenmalure lodge carpark and back. Elevation Gain (m) +700. A recce of route is strongly recommended if you are unfamiliar with course.

Regards,

Mick
Rene BorgMay 12 2008, 1:18pmHi all, map for the race is now up on the website, so you have time to familiarise yourself with the route. Courtesy of Paul Nolan...
Kevin TrainerMay 13 2008, 3:29pmHi all,

I'm a student from the US who is conducting research at DIT for the spring/summer. I mountain race at home and would love to get involved here. I am planning on doing the race this weekend but I'm unsure as to how to get there. I stay in Malahide. Any suggestions for public transportation or even better car pooling would be lovely. Thanks and see you all at the races.

Kevin
Rene BorgMay 13 2008, 4:28pmI'm a student from the US who is conducting research at DIT for the spring/summer. I mountain race at home and would love to get involved here. I am planning on doing the race this weekend but I'm unsure as to how to get there. I stay in Malahide. Any suggestions for public transportation or even better car pooling would be lovely. Thanks and see you all at the races.

Hi Kevin, the Championship races in the weekends may be a tough place to start. They are generally further down
in Wicklow (the IMRA carpool system may well get you down there though).

A bigger problem is recceing them, though. Unless you're a great navigator, you'd need to go down and check the route before you run it as the route will be unmarked and there will be one marshal (over the 14k) at best.

Weather looks like it'll be good, but if it changes, the area will be quite tricky, but even without it, there's a good few places where even following the paths may lead you off track.

The Wednesday night races, however, would be fully marked so may represent a better start.

Again, though, if you're confident you can find your way with just map and compass, then the race comes highly recommended.
Turlough ConwayMay 13 2008, 5:14pmHi Kevin,

This is a championship race but IMO is not one of the most demanding navigationally.

Definately study the map on the events page and work out where you are taking turns. e.g looking at route on map youll see that the turn on Mullacor summit is a sharp right.

On a clear day youll have no problems. If the mist is down try and navigate but best also to try and follow someone who looks like they know where they are going (Dont follow Rene or you'll end up in Co. Kildare).

I remember on a misty day in Glenmalure in 2006, it was so misty I couldnt see my compass anymore and was forced to swallow the pride and tuck in behind Paul Nolan until things cleared up. I couldnt bring myself to beat him in the sprint finish in the end though.
Rene BorgMay 13 2008, 5:17pmNo worries, I'll stick strictly to the new rule of the Race Director not racing, so no one should accidentally be led astray.

Will be a little while before I'm racing again on the hills and fells in any case, if it's a comfort!

Joe LalorMay 13 2008, 5:26pmKevin, Having read the last two posting and you still want to do the race.
I can give you a lift if you can get a DART to Blackrock station by 10am.
This may seem a little early for a 12 noon start but it takes an hour to get there and I like to arrive early. I will be in 10 year old black Subru in car park.
Email me at jlalor(at)eircom.net if you wish to swop mobile numbers
Kevin TrainerMay 13 2008, 5:46pmThanks to all for the responses. Is it wierd that the more difficult you all make it sound the more I want to do it. I've done some tough, navigation wise, races in the past on first-see so I think that if I keep my wits about me I'll be OK.

Is there generally a lot of people who race? Do many people tend to get lost?

And Joe, I can get to the Blackrock station by 10 (or earlier if need be). I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it yet, but I'll let you know in due time.

Also, what is the fee for these races?

Sincere thanks to all and I'll see you at the races eventually.
Rene BorgMay 16 2008, 9:49amHi all, race registration will be setup at the Glenmalure Lodge, not at the race start, so please take this into account when planning your arrival time.

best regards

Rene
Rene BorgMay 16 2008, 3:56pmTOMORROW'S WEATHER
Showery rain in south, scattered showers developing elsewhere. Good deal of cloud but some sunny spells at times.

This is regional for Leinster, so there's a good chance of rain and visibility could be poor. So, in other words, don't forget the old compass and a light rainproof.

Fingers crossed this will change though, as the views are stunning up there....
Paul NolanMay 16 2008, 5:31pmRene
You should add a map, whistle and some common sense to your raincoat & compass.
David AskewMay 16 2008, 6:29pmThere's a few of us coming over from Yorkshire for this race. We did it a few years back an really enjoyed it. Can someone tell me where registration at Glenmalure Lodge is - last time we just registered down the track near the start I think.

Thanks

David
Sean HassettMay 16 2008, 7:21pmWhen heading from Laragh the Glenmalure Lodge is just a short distance past the track where the race starts. At the crossroads turn left, you can't miss it.
Rene BorgMay 17 2008, 7:46amThe full kit posted by Cormac should indeed be brought along.

I was afraid to put in common-sense, out of fear of alienating the whole potential field! ;-)
Mick HanneyMay 17 2008, 7:06pmCongrats Aisling for setting a new ladies record time!

michael redmondMay 17 2008, 8:30pmcongrats yourself mick,that honey is powerful stuff.
Aisling CoppingerMay 18 2008, 8:38amCheers Mick! You must have left the pub before I got a chance to take a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aquaasho/sets/72157605106519346/

Great race, we were so lucky to get such perfect conditions.
I did my own race report over here:

http://blog.teamgearedup.com/2008/05/irish-mountain-running-ballybraid.html
We write about outdoor adventure so if you have any events or challenges or races you want promoted just drop us a mail at these addresses, we'd love to hear it.

gearedup at bytesurgery dot com
aislingcoppinger at eircom dot net

Rene BorgMay 26 2008, 1:57pmFull report from Paul Joyce is now up for this race.