Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mount Leinster

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Paul SmythJun 16 2008, 8:58pmIs this a new race? I can't seem to find any mention of in the archives. If anyone has details of the route and start location would they mind posting it.

Thanks.
Rene BorgJun 16 2008, 10:14pmHi Paul, yes this is a brand new race. Map and profile of the event are currently in the works.
Paul NolanJun 17 2008, 9:04amPaul

Current plan is to start at the end of the forest road at GR S 867 504, follow this path to the junction at S 855 527, turn left over spot heights 647 & 654 to the top, and back the same way. Registation & parking location are to be finalised by the Porters of Castledockerell.
Paul SmythJun 19 2008, 6:57pmThanks Paul.
Mick HanneyJun 19 2008, 9:32pmPN, if you're up for doing a recce in advance I'm your man. Tea and biscuits at least on me.
Jane and Graham PorterJul 2 2008, 1:45amDetails of Mt Leinster Race.
PARKING is in a farmer's field adjacent to the start of the race(grid reference S 866 504) Charge of 2 euro per car.

PRIZEGIVING in The Holy Grail pub in Ballindaggan.

HOW TO GET TO THE START
Read the map OS No.68 or follow the instructions below.
Please note that the route will be signposted in the target area using small cream coloured BSC signs (as used in the adventure race last year)
If you make a mess of following these instructions phone Jane 0876799490 or Graham 0872286186

1. Via N11 from Dublin to Ferns. In Ferns take the 2nd exit off the roundabout on the R745. Go uphill. At Doyles Bar road swings left then immediately right.After a half mile turn left(still on R745) to Ballycarney. At the Ballycarney Inn go straight across the N80 on R745. After the village of Ballindaggan at the next crossroads(BSC signs from now on)swing right (R702)for Kiltealy. At next crossroads turn right for Bunclody(R746). Take 2nd left, then left again and you are nearly there!

2. Via N81 from Dublin through Blessington, Tullow to N80. Turn left for Bunclody. At crossroads in Bunclody(just after Eurospar) turn right on to R746 to Kiltealy. After about 5 miles watch out foe BSC sign to the right. Follow signs to parking( about 1km)

3. From Enniscorthy take R702 road towards Kiltealy(up past Lidl and Aldi).
Before you get to Kiltealy turn right for Bunclody(R746)BSC signs from now on. Take 2nd left, then left again and you are nearly there!

INVITATION.
Anyone who wishes to come down and stay in Castledockrell on Saturday evening(camping/floorspace) is welcome. Weather permitting we will light the barbeque so bring your steaks, burgers etc - this year you can cook for yourselves. Indoor facilities available in case of inclement weather. Please let us know if you are coming on Saturday 0876799490/0872286186
Mick HanneyJul 3 2008, 3:16pmHi Graham & Jane,
Do you have a map of the proposed route that you could put online as a matter of interest? At this rate I'm unlikely to get a chance to recce it in advance but I might squeeze it in.
Cheers.
Mick
Aoife JoyceJul 3 2008, 4:22pmI'm hoping to recce the Mt Leinster route on Sunday - probably around 12pm. If anyone would like to join us let me know - aoifejoy at gmail dot com

Thanks,

Aoife
Rene BorgJul 5 2008, 8:37pmMap for the route has now been uploaded.
Mick HanneyJul 6 2008, 5:54pmMyself and Aoife recced the route today. Give yourself good time to find the start location. Drove around a bit before I found it as on a non race day its easy to miss. We stopped just short of the summit as it was covered by thick cloud and it would have been tempting fate to go further. That said the route is great. Very wet and boggy on the higher ground, not helped by days of almost constant rain. Unfortunately a lot of quad bike activity has torn deep tracks on the mountain. The track for the most part is boggy so you'd best bring along your runners which have best grip.

Jane and Graham PorterJul 7 2008, 11:41amJust two points on route finding.
1. The only tricky bit on the mountain is near the summit especially when you turn to come back down. This will be clearly marked with yellow flags on the day.
2. Route to the start will be signposted with BSC signs as described above.

Glad you enjoyed the route Mick. Pity about the rain. At this stage the forecast is for better weather next weekend!

A few people are coming down to Castledockrell on Saturday. Any more takers? E mail janeandgrahamporter@yahoo.co.uk.
All you Wexford types, there should be an article in the Enniscorthy Echo on Wednesday so read all about it!
Looking forward to seeing yez all
Jane and Graham PorterJul 7 2008, 11:57amAny volunteers for laptop operator on Sunday as Isabelle is hoping to run the race
michael redmondJul 7 2008, 5:02pmI HOPE ITS NOT ABOUT THE HURLING.
Mick HanneyJul 10 2008, 9:14am
FYI. I have most of the director's gear in the car for Sunday including the first aid kit.
Mick HanneyJul 13 2008, 5:20pmA great day, a fantastic route - deserving of more profile, but then again if it brings the crowds maybe thats not a good thing. Well done to the organisers. They even laid on fine weather for us. This is what hill running is all about.

Paul JoyceJul 13 2008, 11:55pmWell done on a fantastic route to the Porters, and all the helpers for this race. Forest, grass, stone, heather, bog, everything you could want in a view from the top: all were evident today on Mount Leinster. If there is a petition to make this race a regular on the calender, can I sign up!
cormac o ceallaighJul 14 2008, 7:36amWell done Jane and Graham! superb race, fantastic route, offering wonderful views coming of the top of Mt.Leinster-in spite of nearly sinking up to my waist in bog!maybe next year have it on the saturday , so people could make a week end out of it.
Rene BorgJul 14 2008, 9:19amThe full results are expected to be in the database around Thursday, so the final LC results will be available also.
Isabelle LemeeJul 14 2008, 11:05amMany thanks to Jane and Graham for a fantastic weekend which started Saturday evening with a barbeque, a lovely sunset in such a peaceful environment, and "assez de liquide pour etancher sa soif!"!
The race on Sunday was really brilliant, the views, the support from walkers and the friendly locals. It was certainly a treat to run on the hills that we see everyday from the back of our house!
Well done Jane and Graham, and all the helpers. Let's make sure that we can run this race again next year!
Paul O'GradyJul 14 2008, 2:01pmI'd just like to say a big thank you to Graham and Jane. It really was a fantastic course and event. Running on open mountain across serious bog in glorious sunshine - what else would you be want to do on a sunday afternoon. Really well orgainised - directions were perfect, markings were perfect - 10 out of 10. I really hope for the people who missed it this year that this race is on again next year. It really couldnt have been organised better. Thank you so much Jane and Graham.
kieran RileyJul 5 2011, 9:12pmHi,

Just wondering if I need to register in advance, or can I turn up on the day?

Regards

Kieran
Mick HanneyJul 5 2011, 9:25pmTurn up on the day Kieran. Theres a form you can print off the homepage, which if you fill in in advance will help matters.