Irish Mountain
Running Association

Prince William's Seat

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Paul O'GradyMay 20 2009, 11:37pmHi,

Would anyone have GPS co-ordinates for the car park at Prince Willies???

Bit of a disaster getting there last year!!

Cheers

Paul
Brendan DohertyMay 21 2009, 9:26amTut,tut Paul-can't have you getting all stressed up again this year, or you might wind up in the Pet Cemetery: this is the name on the finger sign pointing up the lane leading to the field, as you take the Curtlestown road out of Enniskerry (about 2K).
Specifics you are looking for (for the gate leading into the field)
ITM 719760 717611
from the OS online mapping resource.
To confirm, just eyeballing the Harvey's map shows the the Irish grid refs are
198 176-no big difference. The feature on the map shows an intersection of tracks, but this is incorrect: the correct interpretation is a track/field boundary, with the field in question that which will hopefully hold us all next week.
See you there
Justin ReaMay 21 2009, 10:34amUpdated maps are on event page for route and parking location. Please still car-pool from the Powerscourt Arms carpark in Enniskerry village.

I need a few more volunteers, especially a couple of able bodied non-runners (no offence Vivian ;-) to act as marshalls. Please put your name down on the list.

For those interested in a recce, I will be checking the course on Sunday at 5PM. Meet on the main Glencree Road at the 185 bus terminus at Shop River.
Justin ReaMay 24 2009, 8:31pmRan the route this evening. Wow! What a day to be in the hills. Hope some of you got out for a bit yourselves.

Coming off Prince Willies, it is still pretty mucky. Competitors need to be careful on this stretch and the section between the Wicklow Way and Raven's Rock.

We need more helpers! This will mostly be for parking, registration, so will still get to run. Please sign up now, and email me justin (at) online.ie

Chris LawlorMay 24 2009, 10:21pmHi All,

I've been toying with the idea of giving this Mtn running a go. I have done a bit in Glendalough up the Spink and a couple of other things overseas.

I don't have proper shoes yet. I have decent nike road runners. I wonder if they would do me for this run, until I figure if it's for me or not? Also is there anything specific that I need to bring?

I would be happy to volunteer, but as I'm not yet a member and it would be my first run, that's probably not the best idea.

I'll probably check out the route tomorrow anyway, so as not to be running blind, so to speak; but just wanted to say hi.

By the way, can anyone tell me who I should be looking for to register?

Cheers

Chris.
Justin ReaMay 25 2009, 9:33amHi Chris,

(I deleted your duplicate posts)

Try this race in your road runners. As I posted yesterday, there are two downhill sections that are still wet and boggy. You should take care on these as they are slippy, and also capable of removing shoes! Talk to anyone about trail/fell running shoes and you are sure to get a few opinions on what's best.

You can register at the race start (see Map on Event page). We are parking in a local Farmer's field. I am the race director, but you should see a VW camper (blue) with a queue of people waiting at it. If you fill in the registration form beforehand from the menu below it would help.
Rene BorgMay 25 2009, 9:35amWill there be an oil trail leading to the blue VW camper this time Justin ;-)
Rene BorgMay 25 2009, 9:35amWill there be an oil trail leading to the blue VW camper this time Justin ;-)

I bet they still talk about that in Connacht!
Justin ReaMay 25 2009, 11:35amShe hasn't let a drop of oil fall in the last two years. Plenty of other things have fallen off though ;-)
Chris LawlorMay 25 2009, 3:05pmThanks Justin.

I've found the form.

See you on wednesday evening.

Chris
Daniela BoehmMay 26 2009, 8:48amHi Justin,
maybe it's mentioned somewhere and I missed it... but what time do you want volunteers to be there?
Thanks, Daniela
Justin ReaMay 26 2009, 9:27amIf Helpers could arrive from about 5:30 - 6:00 to set up registration that would be great.

Hopefully the rain will hold off enough to allow parking in the field, otherwise we may be forced onto the main road.

Coillte very nicely cleared a tree for us that was blocking the route. So we are all set to go!

See you all tomorrow.
Justin ReaMay 26 2009, 4:36pmDue to wet weather, it may be difficult to park in the field at the race start. Those wishing to attempt this, take care driving up narrow lane. The landowner has asked for a contribution to charity. Donate 2 euro per car.

To avoid this, car pool from Powerscourt Arms car park in Enniskerry Village, or if this is full, cross the bridge to the Bog Meadow car park.

Route is boggy and slippery coming off summit.
Chris LawlorMay 26 2009, 6:13pmHi all,

I tried to find the field and failed miserably. I think that I might have even driven right past it, but not sure.

Might be a better idea to join someone who is car pooling. Anyone planning on doing so that still has space?

Cheers

Chris
Ronan HickeyMay 28 2009, 10:04amHi,

I just wanted to say that i thought that was the best marked race of the (few) races I've run. Really impressed with the taping and arrows and it made it so much easier to run. Respect to the markers!

Also, how do you submit photos for the race? My wife took a load of photos at the end of the race but she isn't a member of IMRA. Do I need to upload the photos from my account or can she do it herself?

Ro
Rene BorgMay 28 2009, 10:06amHi Ronan,

For the moment you'd have to do it on her behalf, but we're hoping to extend the photographer functionality to non-runners eventually.
Val JonesMay 28 2009, 1:27pmVery Enjoyable run last night, plenty of muck and sh*** for Brendan (although I didn't see him there, must be a Man U fan)

Just a suggestion for next year - would it be possible to run the race in the opposite direction, even just the first section, so the field would get spread out more going up the forest road? At the back end it got pretty bunched going up through the forest.
Rene BorgMay 28 2009, 4:31pmClub results for this race are now up. Overall league standings here: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/LLOverall2009-6of13.xls
Jackie O'HaganMay 28 2009, 5:47pmAlso just wanted to note that it was a fantastically marked race and also to note my thanks to the organisers and helpers for a great and well run race!
As Val notes there was lots of muck and ....well bog but there's is something about Price Willies I will always like! :)
Jackie O'HaganMay 28 2009, 5:47pmAlso just wanted to note that it was a fantastically marked race and also to note my thanks to the organisers and helpers for a great and well run race!
As Val notes there was lots of muck and ....well bog but there's is something about Price Willies I will always like! :)
Alan AylingMay 29 2009, 1:25pmJust read this now, so thanks for the kind comment re the marking Ronan & Jackie.

Maybe for the jollity of a complete mudfest sometime we could extend the route by heading over to Knocknagun and back. Turn around at the Vogon Spaceship as Justin calls it.

I like Val's suggestion of reversing the route, though mainly because I'm rubbish at fire road descents - the thing is would people appreciate the steep descent through the really dark bit of forest?

Perhaps there is scope for two different races here - one as is (if it ain't broke don't fix it, Justin's van is testament to this wisdom, or some paraphrase thereof at least!), the other in reverse but taking in Knocknagun. Could drop northeast from near the Vogon Ship to the Mini Bog of Death (mtb name for it, the bit along the edge of the forest, roughy parallel with Wicklow Way), follow this back to where the juniors split off last night, turn L and follow last night's outward route back to base. Long, muddy, deadly.
Justin ReaMay 29 2009, 2:57pmYou lot are sick. Knocknagun is strictly for pond life, and Vogons.

Just as a follow-up to the race. I have a pair of Ray-ban sunglasses (aviator style, black rims) left on the new registration table. Also prizes for Robin Mooney (junior), Bernard Fortune (senior ;-), Roisin McDonnell (not saying) which I shall bring to Corrig, or contact me to collect.

I posted an insiders race report for those interested in Director's duties.
Padraig O'DwyerMay 29 2009, 8:19pmHi

I picked up a grey IMRA top which was left at the barrier during the race. I will leave it in at registration next Wednesday for the owner to collect.

Padraig
Padraig O'DwyerMay 29 2009, 8:19pmHi

I picked up a grey IMRA top which was left at the barrier during the race. I will leave it in at registration next Wednesday for the owner to collect.

Padraig