Irish Mountain
Running Association

Powerscourt Ridge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Justin ReaSep 30 2009, 9:22pmIf anyone was planning a recce of this route, you should be aware that Coillte is felling in Bahana (just above Crone car park) and the Wicklow Way is re-routed up the Maulin trail and along the fire road above.

They should be out in a couple of weeks, and do not work weekends.

The whole section of forest above the road just before you get to the long steep ride (from hell) has been felled.
Brendan DohertyOct 1 2009, 4:00pmJustin
Thanks very much for the info-great minds must be thinking alike, as I was contemplating doing such a recce this very mornibg, but reprogrammed based on your comments.
Sad another chunk of forest (and on an existing orienteering map also)gone to the great beyond.
Thanks again
Brendan Doherty
John o neillOct 2 2009, 10:26amI was thinking of entering this race have none any IMRA races before altough i have completed Gael force and the Achill roar this year.

What sort experiance is needed for this race and is it open to all.
Mick HanneyOct 2 2009, 11:41amJohn,
Ideally you would have done some imra races before to build up your experience on the shorter, marked routes first before sampling the longer, unmarked. Race is open to anyone as long as they are registered with imra which you can do on the day. Its 16k with 918m of climb and its unmarked but a lot of it is on well established trails. If you've gotten through the hill running aspects of the AR races you've mentioned and have the appetite for more then you could give it a shot. If you keep an eye on the forum you might see people posting with a view to doing a recce of the route in advance and that would certainly be worth doing.
Cheers,
Mick
Gareth LittleOct 2 2009, 3:49pmIf anyone is doing a recce of the course can you let me know as I would like to tag along.. garethlittle@yahoo.co.uk / gareth_little@ml.com

Thanks,

Gareth
Jeremy HartOct 12 2009, 1:34pmAlso interested in a reece jeremyhart at camphill.ie
James ClancyOct 14 2009, 10:40amAlso keen on a recce if people are heading out contact clancyjames at gmail dot com

Thanks
Brían O'MearaOct 14 2009, 2:48pmDoes recceing not take all the unexpected fun out of it?
Rene BorgOct 14 2009, 3:17pmProblem is the unexpected fun can mean ending up somewhere halfway between here and the end of the world in an unmarked race!

I'd be happy to go out and run the route on Sunday around 11ish if anyone is interested. I know the route.
Gareth LittleOct 14 2009, 5:10pmCant make this Sunday but can on sun week if anyone is about...

Can anyone tell me if the first 4k or so of this route is the same route as the start of the Crone Woods race on Mar 21st of this year?

Thanks, Gareth
Kevin O'RiordanOct 14 2009, 11:07pmI'd be up for going for a run there Sunday week.
Justin ReaOct 15 2009, 11:50amSunday week (25th) is the Bank Holiday weekend. If I'm around I'll do recce, but can't confirm at moment.

@Gareth - No. The start of this race ascends Maulin from further along Wicklow Way than the Crone Wood race. Powerscourt Ridge goes up a ride which is on the right about 2/3rds of the way along the flat section after initial climb from the car park. Coillte have just felled the section of forest on the right up to the ride, so it's easy enough to find.

The Crone Woods race goes up the Maulin Mountain Access Route and the steep grassy bank.

The route and description for Powerscourt Ridge can be found on the Maps tab of the event page. Once you have descended from Maulin, it is pretty much just Wicklow Way except for the loop over Djouce summit.
Mary GurrieOct 15 2009, 10:20pmHi
I'd be happy to volunteer as a helper for this event. I'm not on MyIMRA - do I need to get invited on and if so who should I contact. Thanks Mary
Rene BorgOct 15 2009, 10:38pmHi Mary,

If you've run already this year just send me your phone number at rene dot borg at imra dot ie and I can invite you. If you haven't run this year, we cannot set you up for myIMRA yet, but just keep an eye on the events page for the contact details of the race director to let him/her know you are coming.

Chances are good they'll be browsing the forum for volunteer names as well.
Justin MaxwellOct 18 2009, 7:53pmI am a member of NIMRA, can I enter this race on the day and will I need to register with IMRA (havent competed in any IMRA races before)45?

Thanks
Rene BorgOct 18 2009, 9:41pmI think there'll be entry on the day for anyone who wishes to race (current members and non-members). Its possible the annual fee will be waived as this is practically the last race of the season (not counting the potential Charles Barrington Memorial at Christmas).

The Race Director should confirm details shortly.
Justin MaxwellOct 20 2009, 6:34pmThanks Rene.

Coming from Dundalk direction, is the race easy enough found?

cheers
Justin ReaOct 21 2009, 11:19am@Justin Maxwell - suggest you car pool from Glencormac Inn at Kilmacanogue at 10AM. The pub is next to the Nth bound on-ramp of the N11.

Coming from Dundalk you get off the N11 at Kilmacanogue just after the petrol station, then cross the motorway and turn right at the two roundabouts. Pub is on left just before getting back onto N11.
Justin ReaOct 24 2009, 1:22pmI'll be running this route tomorrow (Sun 25th) at 12 noon if anyone wants to join me for a recce. Weather is likely to be windy with showers, so a wind/water proof jacket is necessary.

Meet in Crone Wood car park at 11:50. My mob is oh 86 1976 treble 7.
Kevin O'RiordanOct 24 2009, 6:05pmIs 11:50 the time that everyone is definitely meeting at? I just want to be sure as the previous post says 10am.

-Kevin.
Sinead RocheOct 24 2009, 6:28pmKevin,

I think the 10AM info was in relation to when to car pool on the day of the race as the previous poster was asking about how to get to the race and the race on race day is scheduled to start at 11AM.

The 11:50, I think is for the recce which I think is for 12 noon tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Sinead
Kevin O'RiordanOct 24 2009, 6:43pmAh great. Thanks Sinead.
Shane EnrightOct 24 2009, 6:56pmI'll join you for the recce. Shane
Vivian O'GormanOct 24 2009, 11:23pmHi All,

As Race Director of the Powerscourt Ridge race its great to see so many going to the trouble of recceing the route.

As you all know the race route will NOT be marked.

It is not advisable,therefore, to run this race if you have not run a mountain race of some sort this year e.g. IMRA, NIMRA, Gaelforce, Adventure Race etc.

The race entry is 7 euro for IMRA members and 10 euro for non members.

I am looking for a few more helpers namely a Laptop Operator and a First Aid person and two non runners to help at the finish.Just ring or text me 087 4150398 any evening.

Also can Mary Gurrie ring me please - I have you on my little list!!

Oh and by the way is there an IMRA Annual Social on the Saturday night?
des byrneNov 1 2009, 6:35pmI was in Crone Cark Park on Saturday last at 11am and it was very full, with Hikers etc...it would be advisable to be as early as possible.
Shane EnrightNov 1 2009, 9:21pmIs there a kit requirement?
Justin ReaNov 3 2009, 9:31amWeather forecast is cold/wet/windy so a long sleeved jacket would be sensible.

It is up to the race director to decide what is required, but bring along jacket, whistle, space blanket just in case.
Michal OndrejNov 3 2009, 8:39pmHello!

Is anyone heading down to the race on Saturday from Dublin?Me and my colleague would like to race and we're looking for someone to ride with.Thanks

Michal
Gavin DuffyNov 3 2009, 10:25pmSounds quality, did the howth race at the start of the year, been looking forward to this, how did the recce go? Anyone have the route saved to their garmin to upload to mine and use or is that against the ethos??

Gav
Peter O'FarrellNov 5 2009, 5:11pmPowerscourt IMRA race will have an additional pricing level of €20

This €20 will include a free yearbook

Otherwise you can pay the usual €7 and buy the yearbook at the Glencormac Inn for €15

Vivian O'GormanNov 5 2009, 6:10pm Yes I'm afraid Justin is right the weather is NOT looking good for Saturday.

So it would be most advisable to bring the proper running gear with you.

Long Sleeved Jacket - Cap/Berry for your head - Gloves - Bum Bag - Whistle.

Also bring a sandwich and a biscuit/banana for after your race and your

own WATER.

The Race is starting at 11.00 sharp.

See you all Saturday.

Sat Nav/Garmins or whatever is a NO NO - Just run the race and enjoy it!

Mick HanneyNov 9 2009, 11:46amA big thank you to Vivian and his volunteers for coordinating Saturday's race. A fine day and fine race it was too. Good to see Brian Furey back. A very good turn-out for a weekend race which shows the appeal of this route. It was made all the better from the attendance of runners from Munster and the North.

BTW, picked up an Irish Champs teeshirt and IMRA year book on Saturday. Both are excellent. Well done to all concerned.
Declan O'DwyerNov 12 2009, 3:09pmI've added another 20 or so photos of this race to the events page. They were taken by Des Byrne from close to the top of Djouce and catch the worst of the conditions during the race.