Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Lords Seat

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Sonja FuhrmannAug 25 2009, 10:46pmI would like to volunteer on this race and would also like to keep the option open to run as well... I have lost my login passwort. Can anyone put me onto the volunteer panel? Thanks! Sonja
Mary CollinsAug 28 2009, 1:38pmHi Joe
I have just put my name down to 'help as non runner' for Aug 30th--if you still need 'helpers'.

However I am having dfficulty working out exact location of registration/start/finsh

Thanks

Mary Collins
Diarmuid O'ColmainAug 28 2009, 7:11pmHi Mary,

the grid reference given is a bit confusing when used with the EastWest Map. The EastWest ref is 3 12 700 and 2 22 600, which you can see is 127 226 if you look closely.

Anyway it's Cruagh Wood car park. Unless I am completely wrong, which is highly possible of course!
Joe LalorAug 28 2009, 9:39pmMany thanks for the offers of help for Sundays race. Helpers for a NC race need to be able to position a control (flag) at a given location on the mountain. I have all position covered for Sun.
Could the person who rang me this evening and I cut off please ring back, I could only make contact with your switchboard.

Joe
Mary CollinsAug 29 2009, 3:14pmHi Diarmuid
Thanks for note re location of race on Sunday--that is very helpful.

Hi Joe
On reading your most recent note on forum, does this mean you do not need any any more help???

Thanks
Mary Collins
Joe LalorAug 29 2009, 3:39pmYes Mary & Sonja feel free to run. With the small numbers doing these races only one person needed at start / finish. The main help required is putting flags out on the mountain and this is sorted for tomorrows race.

Joe
Mary CollinsAug 29 2009, 4:36pmHi Joe
Thanks for that update
As such, I have taken my name off the helper list
Have a good event
Mary Collins
Sonja FuhrmannAug 29 2009, 10:16pmHi Joe,

So you are sorted with helpers? So if I want I just show up and do the challenge than?
Joe LalorAug 30 2009, 5:50pmDrama in the Dublin Mountains

Probably not as dramatic as the couple who drove their car 20 m over the ditch near a certain Bullaun stone as the control were being taken in, runners in todays Nav. Challenge race had an eventful day. With a misplaced and missing control and heavy rain runners had a tough time of it. Peter Kernan with a winning time of 83.11 made short work of all the difficulties almost matching the predicted time of 80 mins.

It was generally agreed that control 3 was in the wrong place, which I concede but in my defence the Osi map refers to a standing stone and Dalbys to cairns and a retrospective check shows quite a difference in position between the two. The three runners who did the course (not as intended) in reverse came to control straight away. The control would have been put out from their direction. In hindsight it was probably a bad choice of feature and a mistake to use one map for planning and another for the event.
Control 4 seems to have be removed or ridden into the ground, an act of God (or Deco). I take no responsibility for those who did not see a bright orange flag at the bridge by the road (no 7)or those who transposed grid references wrongly.

To bear in mind for future events. Controls to be done in numerical order, as event is not run to orienteering controlled standards, controls may be kite, cane or person.
In strict orienteering circles todays event would be voided due to badly placed control. I have decided not to do this for the following reasons. If only next two races count in series newcomers who were not running today would have to count and would have an advantage, also 2 out of 3 would cause problems as overall result is calculated on accumulated time. So todays results stand, with no DNFs. This will please a few but annoy probably more, for no. 3 I apologies, for no. 4 complaints to Deco. For anyone still interested in more start is at T 087921 next week. There is limited parking here so meet up at Glenmalure Hotel and travel on in full cars. Map will be supplied.
Mick HanneyAug 30 2009, 7:55pmThanks Joe. My first NC today - something I hope will help the process of building up my route finding skills slowly but surely. Really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it to other imra runners out there to try their hand at at.
Joe LalorAug 30 2009, 9:12pmNC1 Results

NC1The Lords Seat 30/8/09

Number Name Time
1 Peter Kernan 83.11
2 1 Justin Keatinge 101.54
3 282 Kevin O’Riordan 105.50
4 327 Fergal Buckley 106.09
5 316 Paul Smith 107.54
6 Philip Brennan 109.00
7 224 Conor O’Meara 114.25
8 106 Justin Rea 120.17
9 442 Sean Murray 122.05
10 126 Richard Nunan 124.54
11 49 Tommy Galvin 124.55
12 214 Karen Duggan 125.16
13 111 Mick Hanney 133.00
14 120 Shay Foody 142.24
15 14 Diarmuid O’Colmain 143.50
16 23 Derek Charles 189.10
17 709 Eoin O’Neill 192.40
18 696 Garry Rossiter 204.00
19 663 Sonja Fuhrmann 204.00

Derek CharlesAug 31 2009, 9:28amThanks again Joe, great day out, really enjoyed it.
Peter KernanSep 1 2009, 1:59pmHi Joe,
Thanks for the event, the technical hitches were unfortunate but it was a good gallop over an area that I reckon is worth exploiting. I think Mountain Meitheal are planning a walking route out the back of hellfire that might be of use as a connection in the future.
And a plug for the imminent orienteering season for folks who are interested… tackling some of the mountain / forest events, with the right approach, will definitely provide usable returns for future NC type events.

I don’t reckon I’ll make next Sunday’s event but hope to get to the last one.
Thanks again. Peter Kernan
GREG DIXONSep 1 2009, 2:39pmHI GREG HERE IM INTERESTED IN RUNNING IN THE IMRA RACES. I TAKE IT THE SEASON IS NEARLY OVER AND AS IM NEW TO IT I WOULD LOVE MORE INFO ON 2010 YEAR. THANKS GREG