Irish Mountain
Running Association

Devil's Glen

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Diane WeatherupMay 21 2009, 5:40pmJoin ORBIS Ireland (www.orbisireland.ie), take part in the GREAT ETHIOPIAN RUN and give the precious gift of sight to thousands of people in Ethiopia.

On 22 November 2009, Addis Ababa will host Africa’s biggest road race, a challenging 10km at 10,000 feet above sea level. Beginning in downtown Addis Ababa, you’ll be joined by 30,000 other competitors, including the great Haile Gebrselassie. There are a huge variety of runners of all age groups and fitness levels taking part.

The JOURNEY

Friday 20 November
Arrive in Addis Ababa. Attend ORBIS welcome reception and visit the Menelik Eye hospital to view ORBIS projects.

Saturday 21 November
Addis Ababa city tour followed by an excursion to the Ethiopian countryside

Sunday 22 November
Great Ethiopian Run! Rest... Traditional Ethiopian dinner

Monday 23 November
Free time to explore Addis Ababa. Depart for Dublin

Why ORBIS Ireland?

ORBIS Ireland’s vision is to eliminate blinding trachoma – a highly contagious but completely preventable eye disease – and restore sight to the most rural villagers in Ethiopia by the end of 2012. In these remote parts of Ethiopia, primary eye care is almost non-existent. Trachoma, which starts in childhood, is a common disease in these areas. If left untreated, this slowly progressive and painful disease robs its victims of their sight, their childhoods and ultimately their livelihoods.

By joining ORBIS Ireland at the GREAT ETHIOPIAN RUN you will help us to turn our vision into a reality.

How to participate
We ask you, with the support of the ORBIS fundraising team, to raise a minimum of €3,000. We have some great suggestions to help you achieve your fundraising goal and will be with you every step of the way.

As an ORBIS team member you will receive hotel accommodation, event travel and entry into the Run.

If you feel you might be up for the challenge, contact on 01-293-3060 or email diane.weatherup@ie.orbis.org

Join ORBIS on the Great Ethiopian Run and give the precious gift of sight.
John LangenbachJul 31 2009, 12:17amThis is going to be Devil\'s Glen, right?
John LangenbachJul 31 2009, 12:20amSorry - not sure whether I confused the thread for TL3 and the Ethiopian Run or if they\'re somehow linked in the system.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 4 2009, 11:14amI don\'t think Diane\'s a very discriminating spammer, John :-P

I hope it is the Devils glen. Looks like quite an interesting route from what I was reading on Rene\'s blog.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 4 2009, 11:54amOh wait, they are mixed up. That\'s strange.
Brían O\'MearaAug 4 2009, 1:27pmHi.

I\'d like to volunteer for this race. Can someone invite me onto myIMRA please. 087 9272615

Thanks
Brían
Rene BorgAug 4 2009, 1:50pmHi Brian, I\'ve invited you.
Brían O\'MearaAug 4 2009, 2:35pmThanks Rene.
Rene BorgAug 4 2009, 8:56pmPreliminary details for the third Trail League event, the \"Devil\'s Glen\" has now been posted.

We\'re just working out a few more details but keep an eye on the website as I will spend the next few evenings getting more details and full maps and profiles up for the route.
Rene BorgAug 5 2009, 8:52amMap for this route is now up. This is a detailed orienteering map of the area provided courtesy of Gavan Doherty so should be helpful for anyone fancying a recce as well.

Note we are still trying to find the precise height figure for the route as parts of the Waterfall Walk plays havoc with GPS height readings even after corrections are done against official height measurements. 350 is a rough estimate for the moment.
Rene BorgAug 5 2009, 9:55pmProfile map for this event is now up. Sportstracks pegs the climb at 344m which I think is reliable.

(Garmin has now closed down Motionbased, and with Garmin Connect being a half-finished product, it seems Sportstracks is the only GPS software for running left that can provide precise readings of climb).
Alan CollinsAug 6 2009, 11:32amI\'ve just volunteered to help at this race. I\'ve run 15 races now so the guilt/shame finally got to me! I\'d like to run here too if possible. As it\'s my first time volunteering I\'m not really sure of the protocol. I guess I\'ll check the site early next week and perhaps my offer will have been accepted? See you all next week.
Sean BroderickAug 7 2009, 12:05pmHey everyone,

Ran my first race on Wednesday in Earl\'s Drive. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Came in 44th which I was pretty pleased with for my first mountain race.

I would love to take part in the Devil\'s glen race on Wednesday 12th. However I have the affliction of being a non-driver! Are there people car pooling from Dublin? If anyone is willing to carry an extra passenger I\'d really appreciate it. Money for petrol goes with saying. I work near Heuston Station but I can make it most places in Dublin by bike no problem. My number is 085-7672571.

Thanks,

Sean
John HalliganAug 11 2009, 12:08pmHi,

Could someone confirm how I might register for the Devil's Glen race? I was in Earl's Drive (my first) but was late and didn't get a number :(

I can provide a lift from Shankill/Bray area also.

Thanks,
John
John HalliganAug 11 2009, 12:17pmHi,

Could someone confirm how I might register for the Devil's Glen race? I was in Earl's Drive (my first) but was late and didn't get a number :(

I can provide a lift from Shankill/Bray area also.

Thanks,
John
Mick HanneyAug 11 2009, 1:16pmJohn,

Registration closes c. 15 mins before race start so get there ideally before 7. You can bring with you a pre-filled registration form (form printable from the forms link on the website).

Regards,

Mick