Irish Mountain
Running Association

First Aid Training

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Jimmy SynnottNov 23 2009, 4:20pmA great day was had by all who attended the first aid course on Saturday last. The course while very entertaining,very enjoyable was also stacked with information that we might require in our roles as first aid officers in the coming hill/mountain running season.13 people took part and all agreed it to be a worth while exercise. Course certificates and hand outs are to follow. Again many thanks to the committee, and a special thanks to Justin for the use of his offices. Looking forward to this Saturday when course number 2 takes place.Their are one or two places still open. Cheers Jimmy
Gareth LittleNov 24 2009, 1:49pmHi Jimmy,

I just want to say thanks to you and all involved for the running of this course. The course was informative, well delivered and most useful to all current and potential first aid officers. Well done again!

I would also like to make this point for discussion about first aid officers in the 2010 season:

I can see in the volunteer section of the web site that it states the below:

"The First Aid Officer is permitted to run in the race if he wishes. He should normally do so however, only if he is one of the faster runners who will be finished running before the majority of other runners."

PS: what's to say it will not be a she?

Anyway my point is, for races where there is only one first aid officer, would it not be wise to have them not running at all in the race? As it states in the above, if you are a "faster" runner this is ok as you will be at the finish ahead of most people. While this will be the case most of the time, what would happen if the "faster" first aid officer were to fall and break his/her leg and then someone else meet with a serious accident in the same race??

Kevin O'RiordanNov 24 2009, 2:02pmHi Gareth,

I remember that came up at a committee meeting and the rules did change for the First Aid officer role. From next year onwards, the first aid officer won't be allowed run in the race.

-Kevin.
Brendan LawlorNov 24 2009, 2:58pmGareth

Under the draft and I assume soon to be adopted Competition rules (which you can see on the Constitution page), it will be forbidden for race directors or first aid officers to participate in the race at which they officiate.

It was certainly a flaw in the earlier volunteer guidelines
Jimmy SynnottNov 24 2009, 6:31pmIt might have been a flaw, but can not remember one race last year where it caused a problem. Looking forward to 2010 yes rules have changed with regards first aid officers being allowed to run,from January next first aid personal will not be able to run.Also it was decided that in some races when its deemed necessary we will have to first aid people on duty. Hope this clears confusion up.jimmy