Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glen of the Downs

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyJul 13 2010, 9:35pmAny details yet? Devils Glen perhaps (and better as race 1 than 3 to get most daylight).
Rene BorgJul 13 2010, 9:45pmHi Mick,

Douglas called me yesterday to discuss the Devil's Glen. Unfortunately I was just about to head off with the Crusaders group, so we still have that chat coming.

I'm happy to help with DG but would only be able to do it as TL3 as I'm out of the country for the other weeks. Vivian ran it last year, though, if it needs to be earlier so would know most of the inns and outs, happy to bring someone up to speed on the route, getting the key etc. before heading off to England (will be gone from the 23rd).
sidney shawJul 15 2010, 11:54amHello,
I am from the US and am cycling around Ireland while also hoping to catch a running race somewhere. I couldn't find much info on the race in Wicklow (terrain, length, open to public, etc.) so I am hoping to get some details on the race. Is it open to individual runners? What do I need to do to register? Thanks so much...
Geraldine O'SheaJul 16 2010, 12:11pmHi Sidney
There should be more details available here very shortly about the location/route, so keep an eye on the site. In the meantime just to let you know that you can enter on the evening as an individual runner and pay the race fee (€7) along with the annual IMRA membership fee (€10). Anyone else feel free to correct me if I've the details wrong.
Hope you can make it.
Fiona QuinnJul 16 2010, 2:21pmhi
i wonder can anyone point me in right direction - my son who is 12 in August would like to start mountain running - what do i do - it says on web site to go to race and fill in form but is every age at every race ?

Fiona
Mick HanneyJul 16 2010, 2:28pmHi,

All age groups are welcome. Under 18s need consent from their parent / guardian. Races usually have a 'short course' option for juniors so they don't have to run an unmanageable distance.

Regards,

Mick
Fiona QuinnJul 16 2010, 2:52pm
Hi Mick

thanks for info - i'll keep a look out for details on site for the Wed 21st as i am living in wicklow and it a good for him to start local see how he get's on- might get rid of some excess energy he has.
Fiona

David O Hanrahan Jul 17 2010, 8:00pmHi guys,

Over what distance are the league races ran? Would they be ok for beginners?

Thanks

David
Kevin O'RiordanJul 17 2010, 8:04pmHi Dave, not sure of the routes yet but they're generally about 9km in length and with less climb and easier terrain than the Leinster League races. So quite suitable for beginners.

-Kevin.
Ken CowleyJul 18 2010, 8:20pmDouglas,
Hi. Have just volunteered for Wed Glen of the Downs. Am willing to be a non-running volunteer, if required.
Ken.
Johan DehantschutterJul 20 2010, 10:17amJust looking at the map for this event, it is hard to figure out the exact course. Following the markers from A to I, the race is very short and we only go up once so there must be some sort of "second lap" to get the full distance and the double climb.
Can someone gives some indication of the complete course by using the sequence of markers? Thanks.. Johan
Dermot MurphyJul 20 2010, 12:09pmSecond climb is from I to C and then back to the start again.
Distance is about 7K.
James ClancyJul 20 2010, 12:43pmHi Douglas,

Can I volunteered to help out for this race Glen of the Downs? I can be a non-running volunteer, I am not on myimra to sign up to volunteer, can this be set up?

Thanks,

James
Dermot MurphyJul 20 2010, 1:08pmJames, I have added you as a non running volunteer.
Your name does not come up on the list of people to invite to myImra - could you have been invited by someone at an earlier time?
James ClancyJul 20 2010, 3:00pmThanks a million Dermot.
With regards to Myimra, I had requested on previous occasions for carpooling but never got a confirm or details for this.
Thanks again
Karen MooreJul 20 2010, 5:52pmHi, I'm down as a running volunteer for tomorrow nights race and I'm wondering what time I need to be there for? Thanks
Niall O'ConnorJul 20 2010, 7:36pmHi guys what time is reg open at tomorrow night?
Dermot MurphyJul 21 2010, 8:53amRegistration is from 6:15pm and closes at 7:15pm sharp. Anyone not in the queue to enter at this time will not be allowed enter.
Non running volunteers - please try to make between 6pm and 6:15pm.
Caoimhe MuldoonJul 21 2010, 9:50amHi Do you need any more non running volunteers? I'm free if you do.
Caoimhe
Jim FitzharrisJul 21 2010, 10:01amI see that the first aider for Glen of the Downs is listed as a running volunteer. I thought that first aiders had to be non-running? When I race directed Ballinastoe last year, this rule was made clear to me as we were stuck for a while until Mike Gomm kindly stepped into the breach.

Cheers,

Jim.
Mick HanneyJul 21 2010, 10:58amJim, you are correct. First aiders have to be non-runners. The volunteer bit on myimra needs to be fine-tuned to take on board that rule.
Regards,
Mick
Brenda MalleyJul 23 2010, 11:17pmJust for the record, my finishing time was incorrectly recorded.
I was an early starter, and finished in 83 minutes.

Many thanks

Brenda Malley
Race number 582
Douglas BarryJul 24 2010, 2:20amBrenda, thanks for that. I've corrected your time in the results. Douglas