Irish Mountain
Running Association

CANCELLED Charles Barrington Memorial

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Alan DolanDec 15 2010, 1:35pmHi

Just wondering if there is anyone driving up as i am looking for a lift. My cell number is 0863361085.

thanks
alan
Jean O'NeillDec 22 2010, 7:53pm
Will the race go ahead if present weather conditions prevail? Apart from access being difficult, the mountain itself could be treacherous.
Douglas BarryDec 22 2010, 9:11pmYes Jean et al, the race will go ahead unless there is thunder and lightning, blizzard conditions, or some sort of biblical plague. Snow won't really make the race any more treacherous than the stones that have littered the route since... well, since before the bible.

I'm assuming that mountain runners laugh at challenges, sneer at difficulties, grasp at opportunities, and that enough of you care about one of the really classic race routes that exist in the Leinster area to make an exception to the post-Yule torpor that riddles our angst ridden nation and will get out and do it.
Blow off the post-Christmas blues. There will be post race pints in the Glencormac Inn.

Leopardstown may be cancelled, but the Barrington goes ahead.

Douglas

PS all help gratefully received from the currently injured, and who has the laptop? Email me at imra at iol.ie please.
Niamh O'CeallaighDec 23 2010, 1:09pmTHIS RACE IS CANCELLED DUE TO DANGEROUS, ICY CONDITIONS.

Unfortunately, it has been decided by the committee that this race will be postponed due to dangerous underfoot conditions on the route. The safety of our members is the main priority of IMRA at all times.

It is intended to reschedule this race for 31st December. If the Sugar Loaf route is still unsafe on the 31st, an alternative race location may be selected.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Niamh O Ceallaigh
Race Director

MICHAEL REDMONDDec 23 2010, 6:18pmlet my people run or i shall bring forth upon your kingdom not 10 but 11 plagues of great intensity.and i shall start with the most deadly and feared one of all,the slippery stones.
Caitlín BentDec 23 2010, 10:25pmA very wise and responsible decision made by the committee. Hillrunners love a challange, but know a dangerous situation when we see it, Glad someone has a bit of sense:)
Happy Christmas one and all.
Brendan PollardDec 24 2010, 10:27amPity, unfortunately I am working that day!

Bren
Jean O'NeillDec 25 2010, 10:02pmDouglas, I didn't notice any thunder and lightning, but blizzards a-plenty- why do you think the airport keeps closing, and I live beside it!

See you on 31st I hope!

Jean
Mick HanneyDec 29 2010, 10:57amNiamh, I'm not running at the moment so I'll do summit marshall if you like.
Jean O'NeillDec 29 2010, 7:26pmNiamh, I am happy to volunteer-I expect to be there and I won't be running as I am recovering from a broken ankle. Mobile number 085 7112334.
Jean O'NeillDec 29 2010, 7:26pmNiamh, I am happy to volunteer-I expect to be there and I won't be running as I am recovering from a broken ankle. Mobile number 085 7112334.
Niamh O CeallaighDec 30 2010, 10:48amThere will be no official race tomorrow. There will however be an unofficial run up the sugar loaf departing The Glencormac Inn at 12 pm.

The official Charles Barrington race will be put back to the summer.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there and for a drink in the Glencormac afterwards.

Niamh
Paul O'GradyDec 14 2014, 7:13pmIs there any chance of this great race being revived???

Did it disappear from the calendar for any reason in particular?