Irish Mountain
Running Association

Lugnacoille

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
robbie williamsJan 3 2011, 9:58amhi I know the calender is not yet fully complete (at least i think it isnt) but i dont see stone cross to lug. Can somebody tell me if its been left out for 2011

thanks
Richard NunanJan 3 2011, 7:07pmProvisionally the weekend of the 21st of August. We will have this confirmed shortly
Kevin O'RiordanJun 11 2011, 9:56pmHad volunteered to direct this but am no longer available. Any other takers?
Vivian O'GormanJun 16 2011, 3:32pm I can do RD for this race Kevin.
Vivian O'GormanJun 28 2011, 8:17pmHi Folks -

I need a couple more volunteers for this race:

1. Summit Marshall
2. First Aid Person
3. Lap Top Operator

As usual don't forget you must bring with you:

1. Longsleeved Top
2. Hat/Gloves
3. Map - Compass - Whistle
4. Bumbag with biscuits/chocolate
5. Your own Water

The decision will be made on Saturday as to what to wear for the race. Hopefully the weather will be good. The race won't be marked so remember to bring 3 above!

Jeff FitzsimonsJun 29 2011, 10:43amVivian, I can do summit for you if you don't already have someone. I've added myself as a volunteer.
Torben DahlJun 29 2011, 2:08pmVivian,
I have signed up as running volunteer. I can assist as laptop operator before and after the run if any help.

Torben
Vivian O'GormanJun 29 2011, 4:22pmThanks Jeff and Torben. That great. Just need First Aid Person now.
Mick RRRJun 29 2011, 5:03pmIs this race open to all imra members?
Mary CollinsJun 30 2011, 2:15pmHi Vivian
Do you still need someone to do summit marshal??
If so I would be happy to fill that role--you can let me know on forum or 0872389914.
If needed I will put my name down on myimra volunteer list
Thanks
Mary Collins

Mary CollinsJun 30 2011, 2:48pmHi again Vivian
Could not initially see the mail just ahead of me for some reason on forum --had to scroll right down a blank page to pick up.
I now see that you already have a summit marshall
If you still need a 1st aid peron, I can do that--but would it be OK if I did not help at registartion for race so that I can get a run in earlier on there before race begins--as I had intended to run.
Thanks
Mary Collins
ciaran briodyJun 30 2011, 3:27pmI can volunteer as a helper if you need anyone else.

Rene BorgJun 30 2011, 3:35pmVivian, I can do First Aid for this race.
Vivian O'GormanJul 1 2011, 11:49amThank you to all for volunteering -

This is an IMRA race and is indeed open to IMRA members. It is an Irish Championship race and the route will NOT be marked. So bring a map and compass with you and don't rely on following another runner! If the mist is down it is very easy to go astray.

Mary - if you want to run the race or a training run you could give a hand at the finish. I have put you on the volunteer list.

Ciaran - I have put you down as a non running volunteer - is that ok?

Another reminder to bring your own water and all the other safety gear listed in a previous note. Also if you use gels - biscuits - sweets - small water bottles don't dump the wrappers/empty bottles etc at the start/finish or on the mountain put them in your pocket or bumbag and bring them home.

So hopefully we will have a nice clear day!

See you all tomorrow.

And thanks Rene.
Brendan LawlorJul 1 2011, 12:56pmLeaving Roundwood (Coachhouse) at 11.15 tomorrow if anyone wants to carpool text oh87 243too798
Mary CollinsJul 1 2011, 2:00pmHi Vivian
Thats all fine
I will check with you tomorrow morning at venue for update on where/when you need help
If you only need me for finish and onwards, I would probably just do a training run there ahead of time--and not take part in race per se as I would be too slow--ie would not get back in time to be of any use. Can help out at 1st aid too if needed. Thanks, Mary
Roman GregusJul 1 2011, 2:44pmHi

I need a lift to this race. am living in Dublin, Navan Rd, but can get to City Centre or to any Luas stop if neccessary.

romangregus@yahoo.com
086 2300773

thanks

Roman GregusJul 1 2011, 4:37pmi am sorted now. thanks
CIARAN BRIODYJul 1 2011, 5:29pmyes Vivian, I am happy to be a non running volunteer
Adrian LongJul 1 2011, 10:43pmHi, I will be in Dublin tomorrow (short notice) and was wondering do you have to be an IMRA member to take part in this race and what experience is needed.

I haven't run in an IMRA race before but have experience running on mountains including carrying a MTB up croagh Patrick to cycle down (great fun) and am placing top 20 in multisport races (sport level) at the moment.

Obviously as a novice it will be weather dependent but if it's clear would it be okay to run. I will be bringing whatever gear is required, failing that I can do a training run.

Thanks

Adrian
Torben DahlJul 2 2011, 12:22amAdrian,
You can sign up for an IMRA membership on the day (10 EUR). With the experience you are mentioning I am sure you can do this run without problems. Please see previous reply re what gear to bring.
Adrian LongJul 2 2011, 6:38amOkay, thanks for that

I'll see ye there
niamh o ceallaighJul 2 2011, 9:15pmGreat race today. Thank to Vivian and co. for organising it all so well. Particular and massive thanks to Denise for very kindly babysitting.
Vivian O'GormanJul 2 2011, 11:02pmHi All -

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped me out today. I hope everybody had a great day. No rain nor mist just plenty of sun!

I will have the results and summit times up as soon as I can. Just having a little problem.

In the meantime a synopsis:

Men

1st Brian Furey 54.19
2nd Jason Keogh 56.39
3rd Bernard Fortune M40 56.47

1st Ger Griffin M50 62.57

1st Diarmuid O'Colmain M60 78.22

Ladies

1st Diane Wilson F40 66.38
2nd Aoife Joyce 70.11
3rd Hazel McLaughlin 77.05

1st Caitlin Bent F60 110.18
Rene BorgJul 3 2011, 7:40pmRankings and times to the summit for the top finishers (full list to follow once the full results go up):

MEN
1. Brian Furey, Rathfarnham 35:55
2. Jason Kehoe, Crusaders 36:00
3. Bernard Fortune, SBR 38:16
4. Peter O'Farrell, Rathfarnham 38:23
5. Adrian Hennessy 38:54
6. Torben Dahl 39:38
7. Mike Cunningham, Bilboa 39:53
8. Daniel Morrogh, DFO 40:00
9. Amidou Dembele, Crusaders 40:24

WOMEN
1. Diane Wilson, Lagan Valley 44:32
2. Aoife Joyce, Crusaders 45:00
3. Hazel McLoughlin, Lagan Valley 50:07
4. Catherine Halpin, River Runners51:32
Rene BorgJul 4 2011, 10:23pmI noticed an error in the results while doing the ascent/descent times. Enda Carr was an early starter as far as I can see and his time should be modified to 1:34:02.
Rene BorgJul 4 2011, 11:04pmAscent/Descent time analysis and KoM/QoM up in race reports. Doesn't look as neat as I edited it in unfortunately but hopefully people can make sense of it.

Fair play to Amidou whose descent in 17:54 was the fastest of the day, only a shade slower than last year's winners time (Martin Bradshaw in 17:43) and one second faster than the best descent in 2009 (by Bernard Fortune).

Jason must get the prize for "most consistent" having summitted in exactly 36 minutes in both 2010 and 2011!
Rene BorgJul 5 2011, 9:07amCongratulations to Jason Kehoe who won the King of the Mountains by five seconds ahead of Brian Furey in the end. For those who are tasked with evaluating the old versus the new system, the old system would have produce this top three:

KoM
1. Jason Kehoe 26 pts (8-9-9)
2. Brian Furey 25 pts (9-6-10)
3. Bernard Fortune 25 pts (7-8-8)

The new system certainly seems to reduce the risk for needing a tie-breaker as almost happened here again.
Mick HanneyJul 5 2011, 10:33amThanks Jeff and Rene.

Yes, well done Amidou for a great descent time. Keep practising those uphills and great things can happen.
Peter O'FarrellJul 5 2011, 12:22pmThanks Rene and well done Jason - great running so soon after your knee injury.
Another great race up and down Lug well organised by Vivian and co.
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 5 2011, 12:58pmAs Amidou was rounding the cairn I shouted some encouragement at him to make the most of his undoubted downhill speed, he sure did!

It was also great to see the front runners come in to the summit. I could hear them before I could see them really, they were breathing heavily and putting in a huge effort. Not that everyone wasn't but when you see the guys at the pointy end suffer it's consolation to the rest of us that's it's not easy. It also serves as a timely reminder that we can probably all eek out a little more if we want and choose to put the effort in.

When Jason started strolling round the cairn I thought he was racing only for KOM placing but he was clearly just taking a well earned moment to regain his composure.

Well done to all who raced, cracking day for it.
Jason KehoeJul 5 2011, 2:48pmThanks to all who made it another great race. Fentons is such a fantastic spot for afterwards, it was a pity I couldn't stick around for a pint so apologies Vivian.

Brian Furey did a great job of trying to loose me to the top, he was pushing and pushing. I was struggling after the three week break but delighted it worked out in the end.

If we were going by the old points system I could have comfortably coasted along to the top just ensuring to stay in either of the top two spots, but knowing I had just 12 seconds kept me honest and also gave Brian a fair fighting chance even after he lost lots of time and placings on Carrauntoohil.

With just a 7 second gap this year and a 10 second gap last year for accumulated summit times, its clear to see there is a very close rivalry at these races at the moment, long may it continue. It's guys like Brian et al that keep me motivated to try reach their level.

@Jeff - I was going to feel sorry for you up on the Summit but I don't think you could have asked for a better day! It was Déjà vu for me again this year at the summit. Last year it was Peter I was hunting down to the top and both times I was fairly spent, except I could run downhill this year...just about!

And what about Amidou! Serious improvement with just 6 months 'proper' training under his belt. I'm trying to convince him to setup MMRA (Mali Mountain Running Association) if he should ever return home, but lets hope no time soon for the sake of Crusaders team scores and IMRA in general! ;)

Jason

Jason KehoeAug 1 2011, 8:38pmSome more photos put up from the race. Better late than never!