Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sorrell Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
aidan roeMay 19 2011, 2:03pmFor Sorrell Hill on June 22st, I'm looking for a few volunteers. Some people have already signed up, however, I need the usual.

1. Laptop Operator
2. First Aid Officer
3. Race Marker

I also need a few non-running volunteers for summit marshall/ junior's turn around etc. I looked at route last week and there are trees across the forest ride which leads onto the open mountain. Not sure if all of these were there last year, but they will slow down what is a lovely strech of running. Any suggestions??.

Could whoever puts the maps etc up on thread please oblige when they have a chance and i 'm not sure about how access is obtained to the field.

Aidan
Caitlín BentMay 19 2011, 6:42pmAiden, an alternative route would be to continue on the main forest road (not turning up the usual ride) and swing left uphill at the ist forest road junction. Take the grassy ride on the right just a few yards on. This will take you onto the open mountain onto Lugnagun where you turn right and follow the usual route to Sorrell Hill.
Brendan DohertyMay 20 2011, 11:14amHello Aidan
Two things hopefully of assistance
The suggestion re route change is fine-I reccied Kathleen's proposed change last year (once again because of felled trees on the ride) and it works a treat
Charlie O'Connell is the man with a contact to the local land-owner and he has undertaken to get in touch with the farmer to get the required access.
Talk to you
Richard kieranMay 25 2011, 11:23pmHi Aidan,
I would like to help - could mark the route although I haven't run it before. If that doesn't rule me out I am happy to do it.
Richard
Aidan RoeMay 27 2011, 6:53amFolks
Recced route yesterday evening. we are now left with no option but to use Caitlins alternative route out onto the open mountain. Coillte are felling trees at the moment and the upper part of forest ride is completely blocked and i dont know how long it'll take them to clear timber. Altough there probably is a way round them I think the freshly turned ground leaves huge scope for busted ankles.
Vivan has kindly offered to do summit marshal (again). i need another for junior turn around. Still looking for laptop operator, nurse and some non-running volunteers.

@ richard
if you put yourself down as a volunteer I'll find something fore you to do. appreciate offer. thanks.
Aidan
Alan AylingMay 27 2011, 11:11pmShould require absolutely NO marking from Lugnagun to Sorrell and back. Pity about the ride but the alternative sounds good!
Richard kieranJun 2 2011, 12:12amHi Aidan,
Can you set me up on MYIMRA so I can volunteer myself?

Thanks

Richard
Aidan RoeJun 3 2011, 9:44amstill no laptop operator or first aid/nurse person. Ideal chance for one of the laptop trainees to give it a rattle. there will be someone to shadow anyone who puts themselves forward. I have had 3 people come forward offering to be race marker. a popular task.

@ Richard. I've put you down as a helper (tanx). dont know how to do the myImra thing. Sort out something for you to do nearer race day.

@ Alan. Agreed about ride. Barry Moore + friend (?) went over to Sorrel Hill to clear the couple of trees with chainsaw. Wasted journey as Coillte had felled dozens more in meantime. it was really fast.

Aidan
Aidan RoeJun 3 2011, 9:44amstill no laptop operator or first aid/nurse person. Ideal chance for one of the laptop trainees to give it a rattle. there will be someone to shadow anyone who puts themselves forward. I have had 3 people come forward offering to be race marker. a popular task.

@ Richard. I've put you down as a helper (tanx). dont know how to do the myImra thing. Sort out something for you to do nearer race day.

@ Alan. Agreed about ride. Barry Moore + friend (?) went over to Sorrel Hill to clear the couple of trees with chainsaw. Wasted journey as Coillte had felled dozens more in meantime. it was really fast.

Aidan
John J BarryJun 12 2011, 12:23pmAidan,

I'll do the laptop operator role for you but I will be a little ring rusty. It's '09 since the last time I did it. If you could get somebody to send me the training database software to me so that I could have a quick refresher...

email John Joseph Barry AT g-mail . c

I'll volunteer regardless, I doing the Strawberry half marathon the following sunday so I will not be running Sorrell..

/John

Jim FitzharrisJun 13 2011, 9:57amJohn,

I am doing shadow RD at Sorrell Hill and I can help you out on the laptop as needed, both before and after the race.

I will send you the training database and I have also prepared a short Word document on the various laptop procedures that I will send you as well.

The main thing is to ensure that you get the laptop & printer BEFORE the event and to make sure that both of them and the laptop backup battery are fully charged.

If someone else is bringing along the gear on the night, then this will be their responsibility.

Cheers,

Jim.

John BarryJun 13 2011, 10:13amCheers Jim,

I sure I'll be okay on the laptop. Might just have an odd question. Hopefully this late into the Leinster League there may not be to many new registerations.

NOTE: I'm not in Dublin at the weekends so if I do need to pick up the Laptop / printer it will have to be the Monday/Tuesday before the event.

john
Aidan RoeJun 14 2011, 11:07amFolks
Aidan RoeJun 14 2011, 11:13amI have enough running volunteers now. thanks for that. I also have at least 4 people offer to mark the race. This wont be necessary. Race marking will be minimal and done by summit marshall Vivian.

I DO still need a First aider. Any takers??

Tim FlahertyJun 15 2011, 10:12amAidan,
Myself and Aidan Blake volunteered to mark the race course. We assumed we'd mark up, then stay at the top for the duration of the race, then collect markers on the way down. Is that correct?
Thanks,
Tim
Mick HanneyJun 16 2011, 2:45pmHi Aidan, please give me a buzz. I don't have your email address. 086 8539554. Cheers, Mick
Mirjam AllikJun 20 2011, 10:36amHi Aiden, if you still need non running volunteers, I could do something. I'm injured and cannot run anyway. My contacts are on imra.
catherine halpinJun 20 2011, 11:25amHi, i would be available for volunteering as a non runner at this race if you want? Like Mirjam i am injured as well, and it's local so i can be there early. i think my REC3 first aid cert is still in date - not sure if that qualifies me as a first aider for you if you need one. 086 3288196.
John J BarryJun 21 2011, 8:43amAidan,

Do you anything about the location of the laptop for tomorrow evening? I heard
nothing.

/John
aidan roeJun 21 2011, 9:28amHi Folks,

Could all the volunteers for this race please be at the race start at 6pm or as close as you can to 6. I will talk to you all then.

John
Dermot has the laptop. He'll be there tmw evening at 6.

Carpooling from Zellars please. No cars at the start there is hardly any room and I need it for laptop operator in case it rains. Park in field.
Jim Fitzharris is placing a sign at the end of access road. Keep an eye out, if you dont know where it is its easy to pass. I hope to get a marshal there as well so keep an eye out for him/her and please dont knock him/her down. Its on your lefthand side heading towards Lacken.

Early start at 7.00pm but be mindful of the New 160% Rule.

Not sure about weather(is anyone?). Could be pissy so have a rain jacket with you and descision will be made tmw evening about carrying it.

Really mucky after recent rain, so please make full use of it. Enjoy!

Thanks -- Aidan
Odhran HendleyJun 21 2011, 9:47amHi Aidian,

I'm not signed up too MYIMRA yet so couldn't sign up as a volunteer. If another non-running volunteer is any use let me know and i can meet with the rest at 6 tomorrow.

Odhran
Dermot MurphyJun 21 2011, 10:50amOdhran, I have included you as a volunteer. How is the recovery coming along?
Odhran HendleyJun 21 2011, 2:02pmThanks Dermot,

Injury is coming along fine, I've even been able to wear footwear for the last few days which has been a relief around the work place for a lot of people :)
(most of the swelling has gone)
Stephen Doorly RIPJun 21 2011, 4:58pmMy car pool departure time did not come up in schedule (I didn't use colon), but I plan to leave Milltown Luas Station at 17:30pm.
joan StapletonJun 22 2011, 2:05pmIf anyone needs a lift this evening I'll be leaving from Suir Road Luas stop @ 1730. You may send me a text at zero87 99three4two8zero, Joan
diarmuid O'ColmainJun 22 2011, 3:30pmAidan
I'm RD for Seefingan next week and just wondering how to collect the gear - numbers, sign-in sheets etc........ I don't think I can get to the race tonight unless maybe late on to the pub, around 10.30.

Any thoughts? please text me your mobile number to 087 two 41330 three.

Oh and question for Richard (I think) - who do I get the race prizes/vouchers from for next week?

Diarmuid
Eamonn HodgeJun 22 2011, 3:58pmLooking for lift from Bank Centre in Ballsbridge (or nearby!).

Friend of mine is looking for a lift to Sorrell hill tonight. His lift has pulled out. He has gear and can be ready from 5:15. He doesn't have access to the IMRA website from work.

His number is 086 eight four 24 313. (Turlough)

Any help appreciated! :)

This was going to be his maiden IMRA race!
catherine halpinJun 22 2011, 4:09pm@Diarmuid.... I will be there tonight and i can bring the gear you need for the next race in my car. i will be at home visiting my mom at the weekend so i can drop it up to your house if you were in?
Sarah EftongaJun 22 2011, 4:12pmTo Stephen Doorly - i booked a seat in your car but didnt get a confirmation email. My mobile is 0872384602 if you need to contact me, but i will be at Milltown Luas at 5.30 if i dont hear anything to the contrary. Thanks!
Stephen DoorlyJun 22 2011, 4:50pmHi Sarah, I'll be there at 5.30. Apologies but my email was not in myIMRA so I didn't get any confirmation: it is now. Cheers.
Stephen DoorlyJun 22 2011, 4:50pmHi Sarah, I'll be there at 5.30. Apologies but my email was not in myIMRA so I didn't get any confirmation: it is now. Cheers.
Stephen DoorlyJun 22 2011, 4:51pmHi Sarah, I'll be there at 5.30. Apologies but my email was not in myIMRA so I didn't get any confirmation: it is now. Cheers.
aidan roeJun 23 2011, 9:42amlast night I forgot to thank the people who volunteered to help the running of race. a job well done and made my first go as RD go off without hitch. I appreciate the effort. thanks.

One small bit of house keeping. theres a pair of Adidas running shoes in the back of my van. they need to be returned to there owner. quickly. I have enough wet gear in the back of my van:-). i'll be at seefingan next week.(strong hint)

Aidan
Aidan RoeJun 23 2011, 9:57amAidan,
if they're orange (somewhere underneath the mud), they're mine. Sorry, think i forgot them when packing up, wasn't feeling very sharp after race. I'll be at Seeefingan next week or i can collect them before then if you want. Feel free to leave them outside but keep back 100 feet.
John
John GreeneJun 23 2011, 10:04amem.... that was me who posted the last message. Don't know why i think i'm now Aidan! Still haven't come round after last night's ordeal where i must have broken the record for falls on the descent.
Barry MooreJun 23 2011, 2:11pmSavage race in them there wicklow hills again last night, big thanks to Aidan and crew with special mention for the summit marshals for their enthusiastic support, it was badly needed! And also to John Shiels for the great photos as always.
Eoin KeithJun 23 2011, 4:33pmWell done Aidan last night. The race went very well. It was great to be back racing with IMRA again... a long time coming, and very much missed. I don't think I can remember the route being that mucky before! For the first time ever in an IMRA race I had a shoe pulled off me by one of the mucky puddles!
Rene BorgJun 23 2011, 7:00pmTeam results are up.
Ken CowleyJun 23 2011, 7:31pmWell done Aidan on a great debut as RD. And, what a run, such great variety for a relatively short race - only on an Irish mountain would you get that. Loved the mud!
Peter O'FarrellJun 24 2011, 9:46amThanks for a great race Aidan and co.
With the felling the new route has great views over the lake and the impending Sorrell Hill to come.

Rene - Richie McCauley is a proper Wicklow bogger now and ran for Sli Cualann on Wednesday so they win the team prize.
Although if the almighty website decrees he wasn't a sli cualann member on the night we'll take it and Mike can collect our prize with a fantastic run into 28th place after running a marathon at the weekend!