Irish Mountain
Running Association

Race directors for 2012

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorNov 17 2011, 1:17pmThe last thread I started has got great traction and 57 replies already - lets see if I can score twice in one week (no rude jokes please!) and get 50+ replies to this one

I will race direct the Glasnamullan race again next year, if it makes the cut. If not I'll RD some other race

Mick Hanney has also offered to RD a winter race, if Peter 'Ban the Winter League and Ban Mick Hanney from Volunteering' O'Farrell doesn't succeed in stopping him!

Mick you might confirm?

Any more offers
Mick HanneyNov 17 2011, 1:23pmI am happy to confirm, preferably in county Wicklow to keep it local.

and with reference to the other thread I think whatever volunteering has been done by an individual in the past is done. Clean slate now. Nor do I think there is a reward scheme needed bar keeping the helpers happy with the majority of spot prizes. Theres a message there for anyone who wants to volunteer for any race I'm RDing ;-)
Alan AylingNov 17 2011, 1:35pmI'll take one of the Leinster Champs races anyway.
Mick HanneyNov 17 2011, 2:19pmCome to think of it Brendan if there are enough volunteer RDs for the WL I'll do a LC, seen as I'm directing that league it makes more sense for me to RD one of the races.

Should there be an element of stick here, less carrot. For instance, who are the runners who ran most in 2011? Being slightly controversial but thats an experienced list of runners and would be race directors for 2012. A 'ready to go' directors list.

Top 50 listed (exluding Munster numbers).

No Name Races Run in 2011
1 Galvin, Thomas 42
2 Skrba, Zoran 31
3 Livingstone, Derek 31
4 Cowley, Ken 30
5 Ayling, Alan 29
6 Brady, David 29
7 Bent, Caitlin 29
8 Blighe, Aidan 28
9 Dahl, Torben 27
10 Ahern, John 26
11 Rea, Justin 26
12 Little, Gareth 25
13 O'Colmain, Diarmuid 24
14 Lyons, Charlie 23
15 Fortune, Bernard 22
16 O'Ceallaigh, Cormac 22
17 Moore, Barry 22
18 Langenbach, John 22
19 O'Ceallaigh, Niamh 22
20 Kelly, Damian 21
21 Murphy, Dermot 21
22 Alexander, James 21
23 Duffy, David 21
24 Greene, John 21
25 Douglas, Gordon 21
26 Flanagan, James 21
27 O'Farrell, Peter 20
28 Hodge, Eamonn 20
29 Fitzharris, Jim 20
30 O'Murchu, Pol 20
31 Stapleton, Joan 20
32 Francis, Martin 19
33 Mooney, Ben 19
34 Cunningham, Gerard 19
35 Roe, Aidan 19
36 Fitzgerald, John 19
37 Higgins, James 19
38 Kavanagh, Mathew 19
39 Lawlor, Brendan 18
40 McNamara, Dermot 18
41 Corkery, Aisling 18
42 Doherty, Brendan 18
43 Gomm, Mike 18
44 Morrogh, Daniel 17
45 O'Riordan, Kevin 17
46 Doherty, Gavan 17
47 Thompson, Hazel 17
48 Scott, Stuart 17
49 Cinnsealach, Rachel 17
50 Hanney, Mick 16
aidan roeNov 17 2011, 2:21pmI'll do one of the Leinster League races as well (preferably Sorrel Hill if its on the card. Near home) but will do a n other if it isn't.
Aidan
Stuart ScottNov 17 2011, 2:23pmThe new calendar should be published in a couple of weeks...can start filling all volunteer positions then!
aidan roeNov 17 2011, 2:23pmnicely "outed" Mick. :-)
Zoran SkrbaNov 17 2011, 3:28pmI'm planning to RD one of the LL races, maybe Kippure again?
Gareth LittleNov 17 2011, 5:00pm
I had agreed a while back that I'd RD the mountain rescue benefit race and I am in the process of trying to submit a LC race idea for the 2012 calendar which if successful I will RD and be first aider for it too. This will all be on top of 1 running and 1 non running volunteers for the LL.
Peter O'FarrellNov 17 2011, 5:14pmGareth rasies a very good point there.

Weekend races end to have a smaller workload and quite often one person can be RD, laptopper, registration team, numbers sorter and demarker!

However, First Aider should ideally always be an individual with no other duties - if possible.
Mick HanneyNov 17 2011, 6:40pmFair play Gareth for your initiative. As ever Peter is right. 1st aider needs to be a separate person, but they could help with pre-race stuff too so you'll still benefit from the reduced volunteer numbers.
Andreas KuschNov 17 2011, 7:50pmI'm hoping to be RD at a LL race this summer.

By the way, I don't like going to races and do non-running duties. I'd rather go for a run if at all possible.
I'm happy to help before and after. On the other hand there always seem to be some people injured (unfortunately) or tapering off to do the non-running duties.

Is this a wrong impression?
Richard NunanNov 17 2011, 7:51pmYes, I will do the second race on the winter league - should be 3Rock

The Calendar should be out Thursday 24th (next week)

The First "new" Committee meeting will take place Wednesday the 23rd.

The main purpose is to confirm the 2012 Calendar.

Perhaps people can commit then.
Richard NunanNov 17 2011, 7:52pm@ Andreas , marking or demarking the course always ensures you get a run
Brendan LawlorNov 17 2011, 9:24pmRichard and committee

Didn't mean to be jumping the gun here - just to get the ball rolling and capitalise on the strong interest in the other thread

I'm sure we'll get a lot more offers once the new calendar is published

Well done Mick for being controversial !
Ken CowleyNov 18 2011, 10:10amWow I hadn't realised I was the 4th most prolific IMRA runner in 2011, with 30 races. No wonder I got nothing done all year!
I volunteered 3 times, all of which were as a non-running volunteer.
And I'd definitely like to volunteer at a more 'useful' level in 2012. Up to now I wouldn't have had the confidence partly because I'm a newbie (I only heard of IMRA for the first time in 2010 (!)) and also because my navigation/1st Aid/ICT skills are only average or below average.
So, next year I hope to volunteer perhaps as a shadow laptop operator, and also learn how to RD at some point.
Plus, I hope to do a 1st Aid course in 2012.
Marshalling or summit marshall are other roles I could do.

These have been some good threads on volunteering - I don't have a definite opinion on how to improve the volunteering situation, other than to say that hopefully 'we get out of things what we put in', and that it's a bit of a wake-up call for regular IMRA runners like myself to get more involved, albeit I'm still exhausted from last Saturday's double-whammy 6 hour adventure race/duathlon that was 'Powerscourt Ridge followed by AGM'!

Ken.
Jason KehoeNov 18 2011, 11:14amHi Folks,

We did a quick mailshot to the 25 or so Crusaders A/C members that regularly run the hills. Were delighted to say we already have enough experienced volunteers to be able to say we will definitely run one of the scheduled races as a club in 2012.

We will also look at up-skilling our members with regards to shadowing the feature roles.

It was a great initiative by Rathfarnham WSAF but it could also be their downfall when they realise what a smoothly oiled volunteering machine Crusaders A/C really is! ;)

@Ken - As a new Crusader you will be able to get that experience during this race. I have volunteered as RD (scary I know!) so you can shadow me or shadow Gavin our laptop operator.

------------------------------------
Taking my crusaders hat off and on a personal note with regard team prizes, and someone who hasn't won a team prize in nearly two years, I think it is a welcome little bonus and possibly even an incentive for some club members to get out and fight their way through the field and try pick off other club runners. In my opinion it increases competition when multiple clubs toe the line.

For those that say the same teams are always winning, as someone said before "You can only dance with the ladies in the hall". If you think you can compete then join a club for IMRA races (we don't bite!) or form your own team like the lads did a la 'The Vulgar Callunas', 'The Kyrgyz Freedom Alliance'. The top teams train hard and make our races more competitive, let's not knock this.

As observed at the AGM, IMRA are well in the black for a non-profit organisation. Each team winner gets their race sub back + €3.
------------------------------------

Cheers,
Jason
laura FlynnNov 20 2011, 7:50pmI am happy to do race director for Bray Head again this year Brendan.
Thanks.
Richard NunanNov 25 2011, 9:49pmHi Brendan,

Winter league ,Spring league , Irish Championships and Leinster Championships dates now up on the Website.

Hopefully we will get the Race Director, First Aid and Laptop Operators assigned over the next few days
Brendan LawlorNov 26 2011, 9:25amHowth Winter - Available
Ticknock Winter - Richard Nunan
Annagh Hill - Available
Trooperstown - Available
Maulin Winter - Available

Four ideal Race director slots available for new or occasional RD's to help out with - lets see if we can keep Dermot, Mick and Viviam idle for the Winter?
Aidan RoeNov 26 2011, 9:36ami'll do Trooperstown on Feb 19. Aidan.
Aidan RoeNov 26 2011, 9:43amsee Niamh in there. i'll do something else. Aidan
Paul JoyceNov 26 2011, 9:45amI grabbed Annagh RD last night Brendan. "From my cold dead hands..." :)
Brendan LawlorNov 26 2011, 11:29amHowth Winter - Available
Annagh Hill - Paul Joyce
Trooperstown - Niamh O'Ceallaigh
Maulin Winter - Available

Only two left!
Brendan LawlorNov 26 2011, 1:00pmLeinster Champs 2012

Tonalagee & the Lake. RD: Mick Hanney
Mullaghcleevaun - available
Circuit of Glenmacnass-available
Circuit of Glendalough. RD: Gareth Little
Mount Leinster. RD: Jane & Graham Porter(tbc)
Carlingford Slieve Foye - available
aidan roeNov 27 2011, 10:26amput myself down for Mullaghcleevaun. Aidan
Mick HanneyNov 27 2011, 11:34amMuch appreciated Aidan.
2 free RD LC spots.

Mullaghcleevaun - RD Aidan Roe
Circuit of Glenmacnass-available
Carlingford Slieve Foye - available
Brendan LawlorNov 30 2011, 11:00amWinter League

Summary to date - keep the offers coming

Howth Winter - Available (first race of the year so committee may want a hand in this one - lots of registration fun)
Ticknock Winter - Richard Nunan (you might stick your name up on myIMRA Rich?)
Annagh Hill - Paul Joyce
Maulin Winter – Available - perfect opportunity for someone new to take on a race

Circuit of Glenmacnass-available (Alan Ayling?)
Carlingford Slieve Foye – available(Alan Ayling?)

Alan Ayling – Leinster Champs race – Mullaghcleevaun or Carlingford?

Spring League - Three races available

Leinster League-dates and details to be announced but so far...

Bray – Laura Flynn
Glasnamullan – Brendan Lawlor
Kippure – Zoran Skrba

Rathfarnham AC – to confirm they will take a race
Crusaders AC – confirmed as available, race to be decided
Peter O'FarrellNov 30 2011, 12:56pmHi Brendan,

Rathfarnham AC happy to take Tibradden in the LL, ideally in June as Rathfarnham AC has exams in May!

cheers,

Rathfarnham AC
Paul JoyceNov 30 2011, 4:45pm
Boards will take over a Wed night race too, there's been a load of hands going up in response to the idea, and we feel warm with self-importance when we copy what the proper clubs are doing...

TBD when LL calendar goes up.
Rachel CinnsealachDec 2 2011, 11:21pmI'll do RD for one of the LL races too.
Brendan LawlorDec 6 2011, 11:05amSummary to date - keep the offers coming

Winter League

Howth Winter - Available (first race of the year so committee may want a hand in this one - lots of registration fun)
Ticknock Winter - Richard Nunan (you might stick your name up on myIMRA Rich?)
Annagh Hill - Paul Joyce
Maulin Winter – Available - perfect opportunity for someone new to take on a race

Circuit of Glenmacnass-available (Alan Ayling?)
Carlingford Slieve Foye – available(Alan Ayling?)

Alan Ayling – Leinster Champs race – Mullaghcleevaun or Carlingford?

Spring League - Three races available

Leinster League-dates and details to be announced but so far...

Bray – Laura Flynn
Glasnamullan – Brendan Lawlor
Kippure – Zoran Skrba
Rachel Cinnsealach - LL race

Rathfarnham AC – confirmed they will take a race(Tibradden or other)
Crusaders AC – confirmed as available, race to be decided
Boards AC -confirmed as available, race to be decided

Brian or committee, any update on LL races and dates?
Brendan LawlorDec 6 2011, 11:06amSorry, just spotted LL races and dates on events 2012 tab!
Please say it Ain't so!Dec 6 2011, 12:57pmNo summer race in Howth??
Brendan LawlorDec 6 2011, 1:31pmWinter League now sorted for Race Directors

Howth Winter - Richard Nunan
Annagh Hill - Paul Joyce
Maulin Winter – Billy Alexander

Now recruiting Deputy Race Directors, Laptop Operators, First Aiders and Race Markers for these races - crap pay, poor working conditions and dogs abuse from the overworked Race Directors available for the right applicants in all cases......don't be shy now boys and girls...

Paul JoyceDec 6 2011, 1:59pm
Boards will take Carrick Mountain, so will provide all the volunteers for this one.

Great initiative Brendan to get people signed up good'n'early.
Jason KehoeDec 7 2011, 9:49amHi,

Crusaders A/C will volunteer for Scalp on 9th May. Can someone add me as race director please?

Thanks,
Jason
Brendan LawlorDec 8 2011, 8:34amDublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team will organise a race also, possibly Glasnamullan - Ballinastoe. We will fill all the main roles but may ask for a few general helpers if we don't have enough
Rachel CinnsealachDec 8 2011, 10:50pmI'll do RD for Sorrell hill.
Fergal NooneDec 9 2011, 3:18pmI just saw that the Leinster League is up. I'd like to volunteer as assistant RD for Bray or any non-running volunteer. Mobile is oh8seven - nine87oh1five8.
Cheers,
Fergal
Brendan LawlorDec 14 2011, 11:16amFergal, thats great - Laura runs a very efficient race in Bray each year and you'll learn the ropes from an expert! Stick your name up under that event using MyIMRA.
Fergal NooneDec 15 2011, 4:20pmThanks Brendan,
I haven't been involved with IMRA for a couple of years and I completely forgot how to volunteer. I thought that there had to be a more efficient way. Can someone invite me to MyIMRA?
Thanks,
Fergal
Brendan LawlorJan 9 2012, 11:25amThere is an urgent need for a race director to come forward for Ticknock Winter Sat 28th Jan 2012.

Personally I would urge the committee to cancel this race unless a race director can be found by Monday 16th January - hopefully that won't be necessary but it would make an important point if it did
Laura flynnJan 11 2012, 7:43pmIt's disappointing that no one has come forward as race director yet for Ticknock.I was hoping to run it but rather than see the race not go ahead I will volunteer to do it if no-one else comes forward in the next week.
If there is anyone out there who is nervous of taking on the role I would be more than happy to meet them and help in any way-it's really not as onerous as the title might suggest especially if you have a good team helping you.Also there is a great sense of satisfaction afterwards-almost as good as doing the race.
I might start a new thread on this Brendan just to highlight it.
richard nunanJan 11 2012, 8:41pmHappy to swap Howth for Ticknock if someone would prefer - its setup ready to go in terms of volunteers.
Jason KehoeJan 12 2012, 2:16pmHi,

Small hic-up in that Crusaders organise their annual training trip to Monte Gordo, Portugal the same week as the Scalp race we volunteered for. Would like to swap it for Trooperstown race please. Here's the updates list btw.

DATE VENUE/EVENT DIRECTOR
25 Apr Bray Head Laura Flynn
2 May Three Rock Summer Peter O'Farrell (Rathfarnham)
9 May Scalp
16 May Carrick Mountain Paul Joyce (Boards)
23 May Glasnamullen Djouce Brendan Lawlor
30 May Brockagh Paul Mahon
6 Jun Scarr
13 Jun Powerscourt Uphill
20 Jun Sorrell Hill Rachel Cinnsealach
27 Jun Seefingan
4 Jul Trooperstown Hill Jason Kehoe (Crusaders)
11 Jul Ballinastoe
18 Jul The Sugar Bowl - BBQ
Richard NunanJan 12 2012, 2:21pmHi Folks,

Thanks to Billy Alexander for stepping in as RD for Howth - he hasn't done this before so I will be assisting as Deputy Race Director (and will be able to run :-))

If anyone wants to do similar for Ticknock let me know - happy to do the same. If not I will be stepping in as RD, so there will be no cancellations.
Mick HanneyMar 3 2012, 9:30pmThanks to Vivian for stepping forward for Glenmacnass.
1 spot left.

Tonelagee & the Lake - RD: Mick Hanney
Mullaghcleevaun - RD: Aidan Roe
Circuit of Glenmacnass - RD: Vivian O'Gorman
Circuit of Glendalough - RD: Gareth Little
Mount Leinster - RD: Jane & Graham Porter
Carlingford Slieve Foye - RD: ?