Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

AuthorDateMessage
Richard NunanJan 4 2012, 12:14amHi Folks,

A couple of volunteers needed to get the new season off to a start

Thanks
Colin DoyleJan 4 2012, 9:12amThis notice regards my carpool departure time which I omitted when making my vehicle available..This will be 10.20-10.30am for any takers
Mick HanneyJan 4 2012, 9:30amI can assist pre-race in whatever capacity too.
Caitlín BentJan 5 2012, 11:56amI would like to help as non-running. Can I do stewarding on the Hill if possible?
Simon SheahanJan 8 2012, 3:26pmHi

Just wondering how i register for this run. If its registration on the day - what time does it open at?

thanks

Simon
Richard NunanJan 8 2012, 5:07pmRegistration is on the day - hoping to open from 10:00am to 11:30am
Simon MondsJan 10 2012, 4:26pmI can volunteer if you're still looking for people. Hoping to race as well.

Simon.
Richie Mac LiamJan 11 2012, 5:36pmHi, just question on membership. It can be difficult to get friends to take part in a race if they're unsure whether hill running is for them - it works out €17 for possibly one race, which for some people is expensive. Is there any way of getting round this for people who want to test it out?

Maybe if a member is entitled to bring a guest @ €10 for one race (like powerscourt trai), it might lure more people into hillrunning. A set number of racenumbers could be set aside for guests (the only problem i can think of is indentifying them in photos after)...though i'm sure there are other ways this could be done.

ps can someone invite me onto the imra member section?
Dirt CheapJan 11 2012, 7:03pmWhat races are cheaper than IMRA races?

I did a ramdon look at the run ireland website for race prices. Not many races cheaper than €20.

Even the BHAA races cost €15 to join then €10 per race
Margarete ClarkJan 11 2012, 10:41pmHi, there's a Dart arriving in Howth just after 11 on Sunday morning. I don't know Howth, would I make it to the race registration in time for the race start @12, if I walked/jogged or cycled from Howth Dart Station @11.10? Is it easy to find?
Richie Mac LiamJan 12 2012, 9:35amDirt Cheap, I never suggested IMRA wasn't cheap, i hope i didn't anyway - only that someone who doesn't run regularly and might be starting out on account of the new year, might, find it expensive. If IMRA wants to gain members, this might be a good idea. That's all.
Stuart ScottJan 12 2012, 9:45amHi Richie,

We had looked into this before but the insurance is set up as 'per person' rather than 'per race'. This means there is technically no difference between someone who runs one race or runs twenty - hard on beginners I know, but unfortunately the membership fee can't be changed.

You need to supply your mobile number for MyIMRA - if you want to email it to stuart DOT scott A-T imra DOT ie I'll invite you to it.

Stuart.
Richie Mac LiamJan 12 2012, 1:49pmthat's fair enough stuart, i sent those details on.

thanks for this
Brendan DohertyJan 13 2012, 8:26amHello Billy
I trust I am speaking to the correct person as RD for Howth. Gavan is Laptop person for the event, and needs to be out there for 9 am. I am giving him a lift out, and would like to volunteer for any assistance needed fom 9 on. If possible, I would like to run the race, but if help is required , happy to assist throughout the whole of the event.
See you then
Brenda MalleyJan 16 2012, 11:39amI live in Raheny and can be there early to help set up. Can't operate laptop, but happy to collect money, direct cars, run a shuttle to and from the station or anything else.
Gavin DuffyJan 16 2012, 9:55pmAnyone been up there for a run recently? Is underground footing ok for runners or too soft?

Thanks
Aidan HurleyJan 17 2012, 10:06amIt's quite muddy in places, mostly through forest and the first small ascent that takes you away from the GAA pitch. Depends on weather between now and then. If runners is all you have you should be ok, tie them tight and take it easy going over the rocky sections.
Paul O'DonovanJan 17 2012, 2:18pmHow far is the start(registration) from howth DART station? Would it be best to head up through Howth Village or go back towards Deer Park?

Paul
Billy AlexanderJan 17 2012, 2:24pmHead left out of the DART station towards Howth village. You will see a road heading up hill to your right a short way afterwards. Head up this and keep right. Ask for GAA club!
Billy AlexanderJan 17 2012, 2:31pmTo Brendan Doherty
Thanks Brendan for your offer to volunteer. You are fine to run as all the non running jobs are covered.
Paul O' ConnorJan 17 2012, 2:33pmHi,

Membership form on the site is still 2011.
Will this suffice for 2012?

Does this cover the season or is there a requirement to register for individual races thereafter?
Gavan DohertyJan 17 2012, 3:37pmHi Paul,

If you have run an IMRA race before (not just the last year or two, but even say 10 years ago), all you need is to give your date of birth and surname and we'll print a form out for you to sign.

If you've never-ever-ever run an IMRA race before we'll have blank forms for you to fill out on the day and sign.

No need for anyone to print out a form in advance.

Once you've signed a membership form and paid €10 that covers you for this year's membership (for insurance etc). There's a separate registration for each individual race after which is generally €7 (so this Sunday will be €10 + €7 for everyone).

Hope that helps.
Richard NunanJan 17 2012, 10:24pmJust a quick note on Sundays race @ 12:00pm

The GAA CLUB Facilities are not available for us to use. Parking us available to us in the grounds.

However as per the normal races :
One person occupancy cars will not be admitted to GAA club. Collect runners from Howth Dart station and at car park opposite Mauds cafe on seafront. Alternatively park at Deerpark hotel and golf club and jog over to start (race passes just behind the hotel). There is no parking available on roads adjacent to GAA club. Give way to people out walking. Be very aware of numerous rocks underfoot throughout the lap that could result in a nasty fall or a twisted ankle. In Deerpark, the summit rocks can be slippy while the forest trails are mucky with tree roots and sporadic rock clusters creating dangerous underfoot conditions. Be watchful of head height branches.

Prize giving is to be at the Summit Bar (where the summer prize giving took place)
Laura SchwirzJan 18 2012, 10:59amHi there

Is anyone going from South Dublin? I live in Sandymount and could cycle out to the N11 to meet.

Thanks,
Laura
Dave KellyJan 18 2012, 3:41pmHi,

I intend to travel to the Howth event by car from Skerries so I am happy to offer anyone a lift from that area. Or I can pick up from the Dart in Howth also.

Dave
Laura SchwirzJan 18 2012, 4:47pmHi Dave

I just checked for Dart times and there's one due in Howth at 11.07. Would that be ok? I could wait outside the DART station.

Thanks,

Laura
Dave KellyJan 18 2012, 6:27pmHi Laura,

That's no problem. My mobile no is zero eight seven - six four seven six eight one nine. Maybe you could let me have your no also.

Dave
Laura SchwirzJan 18 2012, 8:37pmThanks, Dave. My number is 086 2591593.
Will be outside the Dart station around ten past eleven. Will let you know if the Dart runs late.

See you Sunday,

Laura
Paul O'GradyJan 18 2012, 10:42pm@ Laura.

I'm coming from Blackrock via Sandymount and the IFSC to Howth.

I'll be coming back after prize giving in the pub.

Cheers

Paul
Dermot MurphyJan 19 2012, 8:39amPlease note that as this is the first race of the year, everyone will need to register for the year and get a new number. Therefore, we will have a strict cut off time of 11:30am for registration, please make sure you are in the queue for registration by this time or you will be turned away.
Mary CollinsJan 19 2012, 8:45amHi Billy and Richard
What time do you wish volunteers to arrive on Sunday and to which location?
Thanks, Mary Collins
Laura SchwirzJan 19 2012, 11:12am@ Paul

Thanks, Paul. I'll get the Dart out to Howth as I live quite close to the Dart station. Thanks for offering!

Laura
Derek HunterJan 19 2012, 10:47pmHi

My wife , myself and my 12 year old son did Mullaghmeen last year and are interested in doing the Howth run on Sunday. The 12 year old is very keen but thought I should double check if he is allowed run (as consious that Mullaghmeen was a joint operation with St Brigid's and not a normal race).

Thanks
Gerry BradyJan 19 2012, 11:25pmAccording to the IMRA Rules http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/IMRA_Competition_Rules.doc a person competing in 2012 who was born in 1997 or later may not run the senior distance if it is over 5 kilometres. This rule also applies to junior girls.

In 2011, a short course option was provided which was 3.4 km in length and which includes the toughest hill on the course! The short course turned left at the foot of the steep climb whereas the full lap turns right to take in the lap of Deerpark.

The Rules appendices contain the Safety Statement (Brendan O'Connor) and Marking guidelines (Peter O'Farrell). This took a lot of work on the part of the lads so hopefully everyone will be au fait with them.
Derek HunterJan 20 2012, 12:31pmThanks for that. Will tell him about short course.
Theo MooneyJan 21 2012, 8:16pmi tried to accept a seat in David Powers car yesterday, and it said a confirmation email was sent to both myself and the driver (David Power) but i did not receive an email and it also turns out i cannot go tomorrow so if David Power sees this then please dont wait to collect me anywhere!!! ENJOY THE DAY OUT EVERYBODY!
Pavel RajnohaJan 21 2012, 8:32pmHi folks, will be there a drop bag area before the race? Thanks!
Jean O'NeillJan 21 2012, 10:27pmI will be passing through Howth village with an empty car (except for me!) and will watch out for runners. Red Corolla 1996D.

Where is the prize giving-both the GAA club and the Summit Inn are given on the forum as locations- if the Summit Inn one could park there and jog over? Will the toilets be open at the GAA club?
Niamh HartnettJan 21 2012, 11:28pmI also booked a seat with David Power on carpool and received a msg that confirmation was sent to both David and I but did not receive anything. I know it is late notice now re carpooling issue for Howth. I can get a dart anyway as alternative. Just wondering is there a carpooling issue/flaw?.
David PowerJan 21 2012, 11:35pmNiamh, I never got confirmation of car pool, so not driving in the end.
Hope you can get DART.
Dave
Niamh HartnettJan 22 2012, 12:09amNo problem David. Dart is fine.
Aideen McFaddenJan 22 2012, 2:20amWhat time are you guys picking people up at howth dart station?
Yet AgainJan 22 2012, 2:11pmReally great race today. Thanks to all involved. Good to see IMRAs rule on headphones not being enforced again!
Dermot MurphyJan 22 2012, 3:55pmAnyone wearing headphones at the end were warned not to wear them again. The rule was mentioned at the start so it would be unfair to penalise new runners today. But headphones will result in a DNF for the rest of the year.
Richard NunanJan 22 2012, 4:36pmMick Hanney, who was on 1st Aid, asked a number of people to remove them. Sounds like we missed 1 or 2.

Hope all enjoyed the race today. People were still showing up at 11:50 to register. Very hard to get people registered this late and get the race started on time. We will be a little more strict next week.
Brendan LawlorJan 22 2012, 4:52pmI have mixed views about today's race - while parts of the course were lovely, the severe bottlenecks and overcrowding on the route took from the event in my view. Plus the fact that we completely filled the car-park may not be appreciated by people who go walking up there on Sundays and we parked several cars on the pitch despite being asked constantly by the GAA not to do this.

The bottlenecking could be alleviated somewhat by doing two or even three laps before we head out on the mountain.

As for the numbers, well thats another story, but we are kidding ourselves if we believe we can manage car parking given the crowds that turned up today.

Finally, apart from the headphones problem, several runners were leaving with their numbers - we really need a megaphone to give these basic instructions when there are so many new people running.

Thank you to Billy, Richard and others who managed very well under what must have been difficult circumstances
Tim ChapmanJan 22 2012, 5:41pmHi Guys,

Today was always going to be popular, I think everyone on hand did a great job today. Getting that many people through registration was no mean feet, well done.
Some lessons could maybe be learned but I would guess that's always the case. As for parking on the pitch we don't want to jeopardise any future use of the area. I think we would still get the bottle necks as everyone would still try and hang on until the hill and the bottle necks would still happen. With that many people i think the only way you could avoid it would be to stagger starts but this adds a new level of issues.

As for the headphones I just don't get why people wear them in the first place however could it be added to the registration form? Just above the signature that way everybody has signed to say they understand and can be DNF from the start.

Great day, thanks

Tim
Mick HanneyJan 22 2012, 6:18pmThe car parking was as good as it could be considering the masses. Still lots of single and low number occupancy cars. Is there a problem with the car pooling function which people either don't seem to use it or don't seem to get notifications?

For Annagh Hill Paul Joyce has gone to the trouble of organising a bus. A bus for the likes of Howth would take 50 people off the roads, so to speak. If we risk inconveniencing the GAA club we should really limit the cars entering to those volunteering whereas others should make their way up from the village. Its but a jog away? And served well by public transport.

Also, for a 1st race of the season we should go out of the way to get a venue that has an open hall or clubhouse. In the weather conditions today it was difficult going. However, I know these things are not always in our control.

Hopefully with all the new runners today some of them will consider helping out at a future race.

And Gareth - hope the ankle recovers quick.
Richard NunanJan 22 2012, 6:43pmHi folks,

Just a clarification -

There wasnt any cars parked on the pitches today, but on he grass verge that faces the back wall of the GAA grounds. Thais was what has been agreed with the GAA and well done to Gareth on marshalling it. This was the same last year.

The GAA had a committee meeting at 12:00pm. They had no problem with proceedings and opened the dressing rooms at 11:45. This meeting added to the number of cars, but still we managed it. We had no previous notification that it was taking place, so glad we were obeying he rules :-)

Pól Ó MurchúJan 22 2012, 7:15pmWe had some amount of runners today and an incredible number of first time runners especially for the first race of the year. With that level of new runners there will always be problems with headphones and car pooling and the like as these runners just don't know about these things. Simple as that. A megaphone would be good for that and a quick announcement at the start and same with numbers being given back at the end and any other announcements people would like made. I think today went quite well considering the large numbers and the usual problems with the first race of the year. What were final numbers today anyway? I thought it was well over 250 but I could be wrong there.

Tony LyonsJan 22 2012, 8:19pmGreat race today guys, thanks.
Mick HanneyJan 22 2012, 10:19pm286 runners! Wow. Do we need pre-registration or what?
Turlough not listed 1st?
Gavan DohertyJan 22 2012, 10:49pmHi all,

The results crew were a bit under pressure with people carrying race bibs in pockets, wide finishing chute etc today, so:
Turlough was first with Neil second...(we were still trying to enter the 90-odd brand new runners into the system during a 20 minute race, so the lads caught us by surprise, each new entry takes about 20 seconds.... you work it out).
The times for Tom Galvin onwards weren't recorded either by laptop or on the manual finish sheet. If you're one of those, please send your rough time/position to kevin.oriordan at imra dot ie to complete the results.

any suggested improvements with offers to implement them are always welcome....

thanks & hope you enjoyed the run.

Turlough ConwayJan 23 2012, 6:57amThanks to Billy, Gavan and all the organisers and helpers yesterday. Ive done the laptop on the first day of WL and LL a few times and i definately never got it as smooth as yesterday and ive never seen as many new runners runners. The first race of these leagues tends to be shortest as people build thier fitness, but the time needed for laptop new user input requirement during the race is longest with the resultant pressure of trying to get results in and record finsihing times. The way the cars were set up at reg worked perfectly also and apart from late arrivals the race started roughly on time which is not the norm for a first race of the year.

And well done also to Gerry Brady on a well marked course. He ran around and marshalled on key junctions aswell, also doffed his photgraphers hat to make sure there were pics for the race. He was everywhere!
Brendan LawlorJan 23 2012, 7:37amJack Lawlor (Number 148) ran the short course in about 20.50 - he was third Junior.

Also Kevin87 Belton (Number 249) is a Sli Cualann runner

I'll email Kevin later also
Pól Ó MurchúJan 23 2012, 9:32amWow that's some amount of runners for the first race of the year. That's got to be up there with one of the largest Imra races actually. Do we have somewhere that shows number of runners per race? At the rate we could well be hitting 300-350+ in the summer league races. Unless we scared them all away yesterday! Do we have a cut off number for races like these? I know it was discussed at agm's in the past and on forum but what is the max that we can cope with? Obviously would vary from race to race and there are many factors to look at but just wondering.
Alvy CarragherJan 23 2012, 11:50amHi! Just ran there yesterday at this event and was wondering if someone could help me out. I had to leave before the after thing and on my warm-down the photograph man called Gerry/Jerry? told me to catch up with him later for some pointers (I've never done anything like mountain running before and I loved it and could use the help as I'd love to give it a more thought out approach in future). I don't know who to contact with regard this and saw this forum so if anyone could point me in the direction of contact details or perhaps I can just post my contact details... ? Anyway great event! Thanks a million for running it and I think there is a really great atmosphere, nice course and great support along the trails.
Peter O'FarrellJan 23 2012, 12:11pmStraight to the Clonliffe clubhouse with you Alvy :)

Gerry Brady's contact details can be found on this page - http://www.imra.ie/contacts/

And congratulations to Turlough, great to see him win so well. Super stuff.
Sean mcmahonJan 23 2012, 12:57pmHi Guys,

Sean McMahon, 289. Going by the photo, I was behind Claire McEntee, 260, coming onto the pitch (that's where the photo's were taken?). I was beginning to hallucinate by this stage and think another 4-5 people passed me on the pitch.

That'd put me at around 32:16. Also, I think a few of us finished around the same time, that's why I'd go for 32:16. I thought there was another girl finishing around the same time but it doesn't make sense from the times. That's my guess, if anyone has a better recollection of a red faced man in a yellow t-shirt....
Mick HanneyJan 23 2012, 1:00pmIf anyone left Howth yesterday with their race number please remember to bring that to your next race. The race number should be returned at the end of each race and is kept on file for subsequent races. Returning your race no. is a useful safety mechanism too as the race organiser can use it to verify that you have completed the race and are off the hill safely.
Alvy carragherJan 23 2012, 1:39pmThanks for that Peter. I don't even know where Clonliffe is! I currently tag along with Liffey Valley and am registered for Nenagh. Just moved to Dublin in sept so trying to figure out the best place for doing more adventure type things like mountains and less track.
Ray LinnJan 23 2012, 4:01pmThanks to Gavan and all the organisers yesterday, Amazingly job given the huge numbers. Very enjoyable.
Killian BarryJan 23 2012, 5:17pmBig thanks to the volunteers for for organising yesterdays race. My first IMRA run and will definitely be back for more! Really good organisation and great buzz.....
Gerry BradyJan 24 2012, 12:04amAn article in the 2010 Yearbook gave some race statistics. Hellfire and Brimstone (295) and Howth Summer (271) were the highest ever. 2011 may have changed that?

Short piece on yesterday's race here: http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=22968

If you go back to the course in Howth in 4-6 weeks, it will be covered in rhododendron blooms!
Jason KehoeJan 24 2012, 8:21am
"Eagle-eyed spectators may have noticed the absence of numbers 1-100. These are being kept in reserve for the International Youth Cup which is being held in Ireland in late June."

Great idea Gerry!