Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Glacier Lakes Race - Switch to Sunday

AuthorDateMessage
Brian FureyJan 27 2012, 9:26pmHi,

The Wicklow Glacier Lakes race is currently down for Saturday 14th of April.
We are suggesting to move it to that Sunday -15th of April.

Inviting feedback on that change in day from anyone who is intending to run it.

Please reply here with any feedback on this , queries etc,

Thanks,
Brian
Paul O'GradyJan 27 2012, 10:02pmMy tuppence is that the Great Ireland Run is on the Sunday in the Park and we should probably at least try to avoid a clash.
Kevin O'RiordanJan 27 2012, 10:08pmThere's a Munster event on Claragh Mountain on the Sunday. Last year we had a few people looking to do both the Stone Cross and Mangerton so you might have the same issue here.
Mick HanneyJan 27 2012, 10:19pmOrganisers privilege. Whatever day suits the RD and team. There'll always be race clashes and people will decide accordingly.
Paul SmythJan 27 2012, 11:34pmI agree with Mick that it is the organisers privilege to choose when the event takes place.

I was intending to do the race (sans team) but if moved to the Sunday, it will clash with a Leinster league orienteering event, which I will probably do instead.

I like the look of the race (based on the details I seen so far) with the exception of the awful 4km drag along the tarmac at the end. It seems such a shame to me, to ruin what is otherwise a beautiful mountain run with such a finish. Couldn't we finish at the lake instead. As a mountain event it adds absolutely nothing to the race. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Paul JoyceJan 28 2012, 10:15amCan't do Sat; will try and get a team entered if on Sunday.
Gareth LittleJan 29 2012, 3:46pm
Works for me! WAR is on the 14th so now I hope to do both.
Gerry BradyJan 30 2012, 11:23pmPaul S: just trying to understand your reference to a 4km drag on tarmac. From where to where do you mean? The intended finish is the Upper lake, the Lower lake, and then the hotel in Glendalough.

Given how busy Glendalough will be on the Saturday with the WAR, it seems better to move to the Sunday even though the participation of orienteers is critical to a successful event.
Paul SmythJan 30 2012, 11:57pmHi Gerry,

My bad, didn't read the description carefully enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul
Gerry BradyFeb 19 2012, 1:11pmThe entry form is available on the event page. Teams should be formed at this stage and out there working out the optimum route for their runners. This is the first time this event is being held so make sure you were in it! The bonus time allowances for age and gender should make for more competitive teams.
Brían O'MearaFeb 20 2012, 12:32pmSilly question here, but I presume we can enter on the day as per usual IMRA races, or are you looking for early entries to have some idea of the numbers in advance?
Gerry BradyFeb 20 2012, 11:00pmThanks Brian

The pre-entries are for a number of reasons including:
- general race management and safety;
- calculation of start times (these will be between 8 am and 9:20 depending on gender/age group mix of team);
- issuing incoming and outgoing leg runners names to the handover volunteers in advance of race day (there are four starting/finishing locations);
- allowing later leg runners to arrive in time for their own leg rather than at race registration!

As entries are received they will be posted on the event page, first entry already posted! We are hoping to have British and Northern Ireland teams as well as orienteering teams. In fact an orienteering family may win the event outright!