Irish Mountain
Running Association

First aid volunteering/refresher training

AuthorDateMessage
John LanganFeb 2 2012, 12:47pmHi all,

Just want to enquire about some specifics regarding appropriate first aid training to volunteer for the first aid role @ IMRA races. It's something I've noticed there's often been a shortage of/late calls for over the last couple of years and it's a role I'd like to volunteer at at future races. I see in the "volunteer" section that (a) while a first aid qualification is desirable, it's not always possible and so is not requisite, (b) the first aid officer is permitted to run the race if he/she wishes, but should be at the faster end of things.

I've quite a bit of first aid experience/training from the FCA and working as first response officer at a large parachute school (9 months cumulatively)with a high turnover of students (which inherently means plenty of small and a few larger injuries). We had a formal course in the FCA (2004), and continual on the job training at the skydive centre (2007, 2008, 2009).

I understand that IMRA facilitated first-aid training for members wishing to volunteer for this position a couple of years ago, would this be possible again?

Would race directors/committee members be happy with me volunteering for the first aid role? I would feel happy filling the role of first aid officer.

The whole "running the race and doing first aid" is a bit of a grey area - so, basically am I fast enough (by previous results) to run and volunteer this position (I think that would be great craic!). Is the stance of the organisation still the same as the section giving those details?

If there's no chance of having training facilitated by the organisation - where would be the best place to do an intensive first aid course (couldn't cope with lots of small evening training sessions) in the not too distant future?

Input on the above topics/questions would be appreciated,

Best,

John Langan
Mick HanneyFeb 2 2012, 12:57pmHi John,

Thanks for your interest. A first aider needs to do some basic training (REC1?) which needs to be refreshed every 2 years or so. The committee, I gather, are looking to organise a course soon.

The race guidelines need to be updated. A first aider is not allowed to run. The non-running nature of the role probably puts people off, but non running volunteers are needed to support the races. Theres no getting away from that.

First aid is a life skill that everyone should have. I'd encourage people to put themselves forward for the training and to use it for occasional IMRA volunteering. The issue I've seen from before is that people have done the training, at IMRA's expense, but then they didn't actually volunteer thereafter.

Many first aid volunteering spots don't result in much work. The odd graze is the norm. Its rare that there is a serious injury (touch wood).

Maybe this thread could capture people's interest levels for participating in 1st aid training?

Regards,

Mick
John LanganFeb 2 2012, 1:41pmCheers Mick,

Thought that the stance on running + first aiding may have changed.

Would be great if IMRA could organise the training in the not too distant future. I'd be happy for all my volunteering to be providing first aid and would happily pledge to do it 3 times per season minimum if the organisation were to provide the training. I've no problem with non-running volunteering, and would be all the happier missing races if I was giving first aid.

Would be a nice "day at the races" when the probable mid year niggles creep in (hopefully getting rid of the heel strike will help avoid them though-working on it!). I very much enjoy first aiding as it's very satisfying providing assistance there and then, when it's needed, so it would be great to get certified ASAP and get volunteering.

Thanks,

John
Charlie LyonsFeb 2 2012, 4:31pmMick,

I would be interested in puting myself forward also for first aid training.

The nature of my injury means i wont be running as many races in the future and i enjoy keeping involved with the volunteer roles. For instance i dont see myself running very many LL races this summer with the intention of saving myself for IC & LC races. I may be of more value to IMRA as a first Aid volunteer.

If IMRA are thinking of running some training sessions feel free to consider me.

Charlie
Mick HanneyFeb 2 2012, 8:15pmAdd your name to list if you are interested.

Adding your name is not a commitment by IMRA that you will be given a course. Lets say its a good first step.

Proposed attendees for first aid course (TBC):-

John Langan
Mick Hanney
Charlie Lyons
Paul JoyceFeb 2 2012, 8:26pm
Very timely thread John L. With growing numbers come extra work, especially so for the skilled First Aiders, and Laptop personnel. Can't hold the races without these key posts being filled- how are Niamh, Billy, and myself meant to finish off hosting the Winter League when there's such glaring holes in our key volunteer roles? Too many runners, not enough trained volunteers stepping up; it'll all end in tears :)
jimmy synnottFeb 2 2012, 10:19pmHi all,long time no hear from me.Yes we are in the process of organising a first aid course.We plann to hold it at the end of this month,if possible if not early next month.Details will follow shortly.We last heald a number of first aid courses a couple of uear ago.Note theses certs are now out of date.To train people up to a certain level it is deserable to hold at least a level one cert,which must be in date.Again details to follow very shortly.Again thanks for the interst.Jimmy
Aidan BligheFeb 2 2012, 11:49pmHi,
I done several courses with work years ago which are now out of date so with a refresher i would be happy to volunteer in this role in the future. March would suit better.
Aidan
Sam ScrivenFeb 3 2012, 10:11amI'd be more than happy to commit to non-running First Aid volunteering roles at future races if training was provided, though I don't currently have any certs. So please add me to that list.

Slightly off thread, but is it possible that one could be 'trained in' for the laptop operator pre- & post-race rather than needing to commit a non-volunteering role provided one is confident enough to use a laptop for data entry / printing / recording of numbers? Apologies if I am underestimating the complexities.

sam
Sam ScrivenFeb 3 2012, 10:13amProposed attendees for first aid course (TBC):-

John Langan
Mick Hanney
Charlie Lyons
Aidan Blighe
Sam Scriven
Tim ChapmanFeb 3 2012, 11:49ami'd be keen to do the course.

Tim Chapman
aidan roeFeb 3 2012, 11:52amI'd also like to do it, if I'm available.(away first week in march)
aidan
Ken CowleyFeb 3 2012, 4:03pmI'd also like to put myself forward for attending a 1st Aid course, and would be happy to volunteer thereafter on occasion for 1st Aid at races.
If accepted, evenings are probably preferable, or weekends, but given enough notice I can take a few days off work. I presume we are talking about the 3 day (or the equivalent of 3 days) Fetac Level 5 First Aider course, certified for 2 years upon which you'll need a refresher.
Thanks
catherine halpinFeb 3 2012, 9:16pmJimmy, can you keep me in the loop for the refresher training? cheers! C.
Mick HanneyFeb 3 2012, 9:22pmCourse is done over 1 day. When I did it before it was the Brockagh Centre on a Saturday. A Saturday would suit me given sufficient notice.
Jimmy SynnottFeb 11 2012, 8:32pmHi all just to update all regards first aid course,yes Mick is correct.The course will be held over one day,certs are then vaild for two years.Unfourtunally we have to put course back a little. It's now down for the first sunday in April this is due to the fact that it's the first available free day that our first aid instructer has. Good people are hard to get. It will be held up in the Glencree Resource centre,and lunch is again included(thanks to the committee). This will be the only course that we plan to hold this year,and its open to the first 12 people who have their names down.(this i see is on the forum so a number of places are all ready booked. Once again thanks to all who have expressed an interest so far. Cheers Jimmy
Mick HanneyFeb 11 2012, 8:39pm
Thanks Jimmy and committe. List updated. 3 spaces left. Having done this before I would strongly recommend it.

1. John Langan
2. Mick Hanney
3. Charlie Lyons
4. Aidan Blighe
5. Sam Scriven
6. Tim Chapman
7. Aidan Roe
8. Ken Cowley
9. Catherine Halpin
Des KennedyFeb 14 2012, 4:38pmAre there still places left on this course? If so I would be interested in doing it.
Aoife JoyceFeb 14 2012, 4:43pmI'd be interested in doing this too, if there are still places available. Thanks, Aoife
Ken CowleyFeb 14 2012, 4:43pmThanks to Mick, Jimmy etc.
I can confirm I'm ok for Sunday 1st April.
John LanganFeb 15 2012, 12:42amThat's great news - thanks for organising!

April fools, we will not be, when the sun sets over Glencree :)
Dermot MurphyFeb 15 2012, 8:31amLooks like just one space left folks...

1. John Langan
2. Mick Hanney
3. Charlie Lyons
4. Aidan Blighe
5. Sam Scriven
6. Tim Chapman
7. Aidan Roe
8. Ken Cowley
9. Catherine Halpin
10.Des Kennedy
11.Aoife Joyce
john AhernFeb 15 2012, 11:07amSounds good.I'd like to take that place if it's still available.
Mick HanneyFeb 15 2012, 11:35amCourse now fully allocated.
1. John Langan
2. Mick Hanney
3. Charlie Lyons
4. Aidan Blighe
5. Sam Scriven
6. Tim Chapman
7. Aidan Roe
8. Ken Cowley
9. Catherine Halpin
10.Des Kennedy
11.Aoife Joyce
12. John Ahern

Standby List in the event of cancellations:-
Sandra ColebornFeb 15 2012, 12:36pmHi there,
I would like to go on the stand by list for this first aid course if possible.
Thanks
catherine halpinFeb 15 2012, 1:58pmThanks a mill for organising. i can confirm i am able to attend anyway. what time are you looking to kick it off?? (i'll prob just travel up on the day)
Caoimhe MuldoonFeb 16 2012, 11:14pmHi Could I go on the reserve list?
Thanks
Caoimhe
Ken CowleyFeb 27 2012, 3:31pmHi Jimmy,

Just a quick question Jimmy.
What time in Glencree do you think we'll be kicking off at?

Thanks,

Ken
colin doyleFeb 27 2012, 4:44pmId like to put myself forward for the cancellations list for the 1st aid course if someone could add me thanks...
Mick HanneyFeb 27 2012, 7:58pmCourse now fully allocated. Scheduled for 1st Sunday in April. Glencree hostel.

1. John Langan
2. Mick Hanney
3. Charlie Lyons
4. Aidan Blighe
5. Sam Scriven
6. Tim Chapman
7. Aidan Roe
8. Ken Cowley
9. Catherine Halpin
10.Des Kennedy
11.Aoife Joyce
12. John Ahern

Standby List in the event of cancellations:-
1. Sandra Coleborn
2. Caoimhe Muldoon
3. Colin Doyle
jimmy SynnottFeb 28 2012, 6:15pmHi Ken arrivel time for course is 8.45am For start time 9.am.Should finish about 4,30 or their abouts.But time will pass quite quickly as course is very good and Pat(course tutor)is great and very relaxed in his teaching.So speacking with some experience,i think that all taking part in this course will find day quite ebjoyable and very worth while.Will keep every one up to datewith regards any changes.Cheers Jimmy
jimmy synnottMar 22 2012, 5:20pmHi juat to comfirm that the up and coming first aid course will go ahead on Sunday Apri 1st. Venue is Knock Kree Youth Hostel which is just outside Enniskerry village. Arrivel time is 8.45am. Course to begin at 9am sharp. Lunch will be provided. Any one who needs help with directions etc please call me on 0872517635. There was quite a lot of interest and demand for places so could anyone on the accepted list who can't make it on the day let me know as we have a stand by list in place. Once again a big thanks to Dermot and the committee for putting this all together. Again for all taking part enjoy your day. Catch you all on the day. Cheers jimmy
Mick HanneyMar 25 2012, 5:18pmWe've a cancellation from the original list of names.
Sandra Coleborn, you are confirmed for the 1st aid course.

Waiting List - in the event of any more cancellations:
1. Caoimhe Muldoon
2. Colin Doyle

Please ensure you know the way to Knockree Youth hostel so we can start as scheduled. Thanks.
Tim ChapmanMar 25 2012, 8:18pmSorry i wont be able to make it can you take me of the list.

regards

Tim
Mick HanneyMar 25 2012, 10:01pmOkay so we have 2 cancellations.

Sandra Coleborn and Caoimhe Muldoon, you are confirmed for the 1st aid course. If you could respond here to show you're picked up the message that would be ideal.

Waiting List - in the event of any more cancellations:
1. Colin Doyle
catherine halpinMar 26 2012, 4:36pmGuys,

Let Colin have my place. It's going to be really dificult for me to be up in time for this, so I will just try to find a different course somewhere in munster.

Thanks

Catherine.
Colin DoyleMar 26 2012, 4:38pmThanks for the place,I can make the training
Sandra ColebornMar 27 2012, 5:23amI'm very sorry, but I made other plans over the weekend (family thing) for next Sunday, as I didn't think there was any chance of getting on the course.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take the place. Many thanks anyway.
Michael BligheMar 27 2012, 7:18amHi,

If there are any further cancellations, I'd be interested in taking a place.

Michael
Mick HanneyMar 27 2012, 11:56amThanks Sandra. Thanks too Michael, you are confirmed on the course.

I'm assuming all other listed can make it. See you on Sunday.
Sam ScrivenMar 28 2012, 4:05pmhi, I've had to give up my car on Sunday. Would anyone driving from Dublin be able to offer a lift? o87 2l36574
Mick HanneyMar 30 2012, 12:02pmFinal reminder about this for Sunday.

Can anyone help Sam out for a lift?
John AhernMar 30 2012, 2:20pmI'll call that number after 5pm to see if I can help.
Caoimhe MuldoonMar 30 2012, 2:28pmSorry I cant make it - thanks so much for the place. Hopefully next time.
Mick HanneyMar 30 2012, 3:59pmFolks,

We've 1 free slot for this first aid course? First come first served. Arrangements as per prior posts. Happening this Sunday. Cheers.

Mick

Donal TroddynMar 30 2012, 5:44pmI'll take that slot if it's still free.
Mick HanneyMar 30 2012, 6:07pmGreat Donal. See you Sunday morning.
jimmy synnottMar 31 2012, 2:55pmHi Folks last minute reminder first aid course tomorrow April 1st.Hoping for no last minute cancellations.See you there jimmy
Mick HanneyApr 1 2012, 9:09pmThanks Pat for a great course today.
Thanks Jimmy and the committee for supporting this initiative. 12 eager first aiders at the ready. Bring on the Leinster League.
Aidan BligheApr 1 2012, 11:29pmI agree with Mick it was a very interesting & well put together course. Very relevant to Mountain running & other outdoor activities. Thanks Pat, Jimmy & IMRA Committee.
Ken CowleyApr 2 2012, 7:59amI agree Aidan - Pat put together a very well tailored (to mountain running) one-day course. The day flew by, jam packed with great information and practical examples. Looking forward to volunteering - now let me see? - What's the 'safest' summer League race?!..

Many thanks to Pat, Jimmy and IMRA for arranging the course.
charlie lyonsApr 2 2012, 8:51amMany thanks Pat for a super day yesterday,

I think everyone present had a great day.

Roll on the LL now, will bandage anything that moves!
Aidan RoeApr 2 2012, 9:21ami hope ken never has to splint anyone:-). thanks to Pat, commitee for a really useful day. Looking forward to working on my bedside manner at some stage during the year.
A
Aidan RoeApr 2 2012, 9:21ami hope ken never has to splint anyone:-). thanks to Pat, commitee for a really useful day. Looking forward to working on my bedside manner at some stage during the year.
A
Michael BligheApr 2 2012, 9:38amJust wanted to echo all of the previous comments on yesterday's course. Well organised, very relevant to what we need as mountain runners, and a very enjoyable day.

Thanks to Pat and the committee for organising the whole thing.
Mick HanneyApr 2 2012, 9:41am
We should see the filling up of the 1st aid spots for the Leinster League arising from yesterday.

A similar refresher for laptop might similarly get all those spots filled (and/or shadow operators lined up) for LL races.
Colin DoyleApr 2 2012, 10:56amGreat practical info and coarse matieral,day flew by, thanks imra & Pat
John AhernApr 2 2012, 11:01amThanks for setting the course up. Relevant with good, clear instruction.
John LanganApr 2 2012, 2:26pmThanks to Jimmy for organising the course, the committee for sanctioning it, and to Pat for delivering it. I found it very useful and practical - great to refresh and improve the skills. Looking forward to putting them to use.
Mick HanneyApr 2 2012, 6:14pmKen - you added yourself as 1st aider for Powerscourt uphill. It already had a 1st aider listed and you may not have been aware of that.
Stuart ScottApr 2 2012, 6:20pmAs an uphill only race we usually have two first aiders - one in the carpark and one at the summit.
jimmy synnottApr 2 2012, 6:47pmGreat to hear such good remarks on yesterdays first aid course.Seems every one enjoyed their day.Again on behalf of the committee i would like to thank all who gave up their day to attend the course,a special thanks to pat who not only gave up his day but also gave us his time for free.Thanks Pat.Looking forward to meeting all our newly qualified first aid offecers during this comming year,Again well done all.Cheers Jimmy
Mick HanneyApr 10 2012, 8:14pmMost of Leinster League covered for 1st aid with the exception of 2 or 3 events? Thanks guys.
Sam ScrivenApr 10 2012, 11:00pmMick, you can count me in for either scarr or ballinastoe, just not sure of my dates.

Great course - thanks again to Pat & committee
Mick HanneyApr 13 2012, 10:24am1st aiders with myimra access should have access to a separate forum page for 1st aid.

Not sure if webmaster needs to grant access? Presumably so.