Irish Mountain
Running Association

Circuit of Glendalough

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2012, 2:40pmhttp://connect.garmin.com/activity/152749453
Recce from this morning. A great few hours in the hills. Should be a great event.
Gareth LittleMar 20 2012, 4:46pmHi all,

For this years Circuit of Glendalough Race the following checkpoints must be visited in the below order:

T 108 963 Start/Finish
T 081 980 Camaderry 698m
T 072 953 Lugduff 652m
T 092 939 Mullacor 657m
T 119 954 Derrydawn 474m
T 108 963 Start/Finish

The decision to use manned or unmanned checkpoints or both will be decided at a later date and will be published on this forum.

Maps which cover the race area include:

EastWest Mapping, Lugnaquilla & Glendalough 1:30,000
Harvey's Wicklow Mountains 1:30,000
Glendalough Glenmalure (Pat Healy) 1:25,000
OSI Sheet 56 1:50,000

The EastWest map is recommended with the Harvey’s second best. Users of the other two maps will be at a disadvantage early and late in the race due to poor track description.

Mandatory Kit:

1. Map of race area
2. Compass
3. Whistle
4. Rain Jacket

Failure to possess 1 to 4 of the above at registration or race start will result in your entry to the race being refused. Failure to possess 1 to 4 of the above while finishing will result in your disqualification from the race.

In simple terms - No mandatory kit, no race!

Brief route description:

From the start follow the forest road east, nearly straight away you will be faced with your first route choice. You can take a sharp left hand turn up a steep trail or you can continue east and skirt anti-clockwise around and then up the spur towards Camaderry. The sharp left option is steeper but shorter and the other option is longer but not as steep. Once this section has been completed you should find yourself on a well trodden track which leads all the way to Camaderry, which is the first checkpoint.

When leaving Camaderry you can take a direct line down to the river and straight into a climb up to Lugduff or you can take an anti-clockwise horse shoe route which will save you some height. Again, the first option is shorter but increases the climb and the second is longer but has less climb. Either option should get you up to Lugduff which is the second checkpoint.

When leaving Lugduff follow the track in a south easterly direction which will bring you to Mullacor which is the 3rd checkpoint.

When leaving Mullacor you will be travelling in an easterly direction until you pick up the path that leads you north, north east along the Derrydawn Ridge and towards the Derrydawn summit which is the 4th checkpoint.

When leaving Derrydawn you will be travelling north west. There are a few tracks off the summit so it’s important to choose the correct one. Once at the bottom of Derrydawn there are a number of different ways to get to the car park so please have your route chosen prior to the race day to avoid any confusion.

The race finale will go across the car park and surrounding paths so please be courteous to others who may be out walking.

If you read Moiré’s Wicklow Round route description she goes into detail about coming off Derrydawn and going up Camaderry, very useful to read in this case!

http://moireosullivan.com/2009/06/07/wicklow-round-route/

Final note:

Although not the longest of races at 16k, this route is not to be underestimated. There are steep cliffs and a river crossing to be wary off and a low mist or cloud base on the day may make navigation very challenging. On that note I’d ask that all participants are confident with the use of a map and compass and have done at least one recce of the route prior to the race day. Please do not just follow the person in front of you as they may not know where they are going!

If for any reason you need to drop out there are numerous places to do so. The first is at the top of the miners track which is marked with a foot bridge, the second is a track that leads off spot height 637 and back to the car park over the Spink and the 3rd is the Wicklow Way track which you will cross in the col between spot height 637 and the Mullacor summit.

We have been kindly granted permission by the Wicklow National Parks for this event but they have stipulated that there can be a maximum of 50 participants. Although not likely to reach 50 participants we have to give places on a first come first served basis so please arrive early to avoid disappointment.

The upper lake car park has a fee of €4 for the day. If you would like to avoid this please either carpool or use the lower lake car park about 3k south, which is free.

Prize giving will be at the start/finish location.

The M70 route takes in Camaderry summit and returns along the miners track to the start/finish area.

Although food and drink are not mandatory I’d ask each competitor to carry some with them as this is a challenging route with some tough climbs!

Please be prepared for this race and I hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks,

Gareth Little – Race Director

Mick HanneyMay 13 2012, 8:19pmGareth, If I'm still laid up from running when this comes around I'd be happy to RD while you run it. Cheers, Mick
Gareth LittleMay 13 2012, 8:27pm
Thanks Mike for the offer but I'm kinda looking forward to giving the old RD role a bash as I've not done it before. However should it materialise that I might be tight on getting my 3 from 5, I may take you up on that offer!
Gareth LittleMay 13 2012, 8:32pm
On a seperate point, I did another recce of the route today and the ferns have spung up a lot since the last time. They cut the feckin legs off me on the way down from Camaderry! Running tights highly reccomended.
Mick HanneyJun 13 2012, 9:39pmForecast for Sunday is looking favourable but don't forget your mandatory kit in order to register. Any gear carried needs to be carried the full route. Remember too no littering in the National Park. No more than 50 runners are allowed in this race so first come first served. If you are greater than 160% avg of winning time in a typical IMRA race you should consider an early start in this race having advised the race director. Gareth no doubt will have additional messages.
Gareth LittleJun 14 2012, 9:21am
Hi all,

I am good for volunteers now and thank you for all who have volunteered so far. Can I ask that all volunteers be at the start at 09:30/45 as the race kicks off at 11am and I will assign roles then.

See final race brief below:

Please note that this race has to be capped at 50 entrants due to an agreement with the national parks so please arrive early to avoid disappointment.

The checkpoints will not be manned and we will be using an honour system so please be fair to the others who complete the course in full and visit all mandatory checkpoints listed on the event page.

Please bring all mandatory kit with you to registration. This kit must be carried with you for the race in its entirety. Kit includes: map of race area, compass, whistle & rain jacket. Failure to possess 1 to 4 items of the mandatory kit at registration or race start will result in your entry to the race being refused. Failure to possess 1 to 4 of the above while finishing will result in your disqualification from the race. There will be no exception made to this rule.

Short course and M70 course will be from the start location to Camaderry summit and back along the miners track.

Please make sure that you have recce’d the course or else run with someone who has.

If for any reason you need to drop out there are numerous places to do so. The first is at the top of the miners track which is marked with a foot bridge (this is also the short course), the second is a track that leads off spot height 637 and back to the car park over the Spink and the 3rd is the Wicklow Way track which you will cross in the col between spot height 637 and the Mullacor summit.

The upper lake car park has a fee of €4 for the day. If you would like to avoid this please either carpool or use the lower lake car park about 3k south which is free.

Prize giving will be at the start/finish location.

Although food and drink are not mandatory I’d ask each competitor to carry some with them as this is a challenging route with some tough climbs!

Early start will be at 10:15

Finally, the weather for Sunday is to be sunny with scattered showers so please be prepared for possible misty conditions on the higher ground.

Any questions just give me a call – o87 95732I6

Gareth – Race Director

Paul O'GradyJun 14 2012, 5:12pm53 Degrees North in Carrickmines have 3 copies of East West Mapping's version of the map - for those who are thinking of using a larger scale map.

I'm getting a copy tomorrow if anyone wants me to pick them up a copy. I'll be doing the early start - but I cant leave it at registration.
Paul O'GradyJun 14 2012, 5:13pm* but I CAN leave it at registration.
Warren Swords Jun 14 2012, 5:17pmIs a recce mandatory? If so, anyone doing this that I could follow at a reasonable pace?
Mick HanneyJun 14 2012, 6:55pmNot mandatory Warren, but advisable. If you can show the RD the route you will follow on a map and are hill savvy he might let you pass. :-)
Gareth LittleJun 14 2012, 9:37pm
Hi Warren, while I'd like to make it mandatory what's to stop someone saying they have when they have not so no it's not mandatory but highly recommended. So if you have not maybe try and stick with someone who knows the route.

Paul TierneyJun 16 2012, 11:26pmRecced route today!! I suggest adding Wetsuits and snorkel to mandatory kit ;)
Mick HanneyJun 17 2012, 9:28pmNice report Peter.

Great event today and particular thanks to Gareth who invented the route for this years Leinster Champs but was unfortunately injured and not able to run it himself. Feedback from all who took part was very positive. I don't think I've ever seen so many runners hip high in water after a race. I think this race is a keeper. All imra races should have a field size < 50 :-) All the more sociable as a result.
Alan AylingJun 17 2012, 10:27pmCracking route, cheers Gareth. Some fine close racing, a brilliant couple of hours in the hills.
Peter's report captures it very nicely.
Paul NolanJun 17 2012, 10:35pmI remember when a river at the finish was enough to keep all happy. Now it's whole lakes. Go on the ambition of the IMRA lunatic fringe.
Justin ReaJun 17 2012, 11:14pmGreat route. An interesting twist had Glendalough featured on Nationwide tonight.

Hope the man found his dog. It followed me and Kate up onto Camaderry and only much cursing and backtracking persuaded it to turn back.
Mick HanneyJun 18 2012, 9:28amWe were wondering about the dog alright. I encountered it about 10 mins before the main field started out. It went back up the hill on its own - had obviously lost the owners. They came up the hill later looking for the dog (and were on the phone to mountain rescue reporting its loss when I said I just saw it!). Thats the danger of letting a dog off the leash in such a big environment.
Zoran SkrbaJun 18 2012, 9:29amGreat route. Thanks and well done to Gareth and the crew...
Stuart ScottJun 18 2012, 10:15amGreat race, thanks Gareth!

My legs have a small request today though. Can we run in a clockwise direction instead next year please?! A descent off Camaderry into the lake would be great! And would avoid one of those two sadistic climbs...

I last saw the dog disappearing in and out of marshes coming off Camaderry. It was running quicker than I was, didn't realise it was lost. Hope it found it's way back.
Dermot MurphyJun 18 2012, 10:20amStuart, you may want to try climbing up Derrybawn before making that request!
Gareth LittleJun 18 2012, 12:50pm
From what I have read and the feedback I got at the finish line this was a huge success and I hope it can stay on the calendar for next year. I'd like to thank all of the volunteers for their help with the race as this could not have been done without them and thanks to all who ran and for having the correct kit at the start!

Thanks,

Gareth

Paul TierneyJun 18 2012, 1:23pmGreat race route Gareth! I hope it stays on the calendar and maybe even add in a few more of the surrounding summits!

And isn't mountain running meant to be about sadistic climbs!!!
Justin ReaJun 18 2012, 1:30pmShould I be passing the M50 prize onto Stephen Brennan? I note from the results that he came in 15 mins or so ahead of me.

Unless it was some kind of Father's day thing. In which case, Gavan deserved on too ;-)
Warren SwordsJun 18 2012, 1:32pmGreat route, thanks Gareth. Really enjoyed it, brutal climbs and nice splashy descents.
Daniela BoehmJun 18 2012, 2:53pmBetter than a water fun park that descent off Camaderry! Thanks to the organizers/volunteers for an absolutely brilliant race (someone must have even performed a sun dance beforehand!):)
Stephen BrennanJun 18 2012, 3:09pmHey Justin, you must have spent too much time with that dog! It seemed to be having a ball. :) Stephen
Finbar McGurrenJun 18 2012, 5:34pmExcellent race and thanks for the route Gareth.

A few more summits... an interesting circuit, but maybe only for the more sadistic members of the lunatic fringe, is Camderry, Reservoir, 3 lakes, Table, Camenabologue, Lug, Cloghernagh, Mullacor, Derrybawn.

Adrian HennessyJun 18 2012, 7:22pmThanks Gareth and helpers for a great race yesterday. What a superb route! Definitely a keeper but maybe change slightly each year to keep folks guessing.
Rene BorgJun 18 2012, 7:56pmHere's another route those who liked most of this should consider, we did it as part of the January long runs. Probably could never be turned into a race because the Spink is the busiest hiking trail in Wicklow, but takes in a lot of this route in reverse:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36828801

This variation finishes by running over the low spur of Camaderry, which I later found to be an unnecessary cruelty, so generally I take this out, but that shouldn't discourage others. Pity that it is not feasible with the Spink as the rocky descent is pretty unique in Wicklow.
Michelle ClarkeJun 18 2012, 10:35pmSnaps are now available via the IMRA Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?id=712205538&tid=11388560359&skipClustering=false&qn=1340052814&success=63&failure=0&set=oa.10151830102735360#!/groups/11388560359/permalink/10151830102730360/?notif_t=like

Cheers,
Michelle
Mick HanneyJun 18 2012, 11:52pmPossible route variation. This route meets Ballybraid. Start and finish in Glenmalure. Mullacor, lugduff, camaderry, derrybawn, Glenmalure. Dip in river.