Irish Mountain
Running Association

Hoka Highland Fling Race Report

AuthorDateMessage
Raymond BuchanApr 30 2012, 2:43pm
I wanted to share amongst the IMRA community my own small race report from this Saturdays Hoka Highland Fling held in Scotland.

This is a 53 mile trail race with 5,700 ft climb and 5,100 descent taking you via the West Highland Way walk from Glasgow to Tyndrum. The event this year was the Scottish Ultra Trail championship with 477 entrants.

This was my second year running the fling and I have to say if you ever wish to do just one trail Ultra this is the one to do. The organisation is superb, friendly and very professional. The course has bog's, forest tracks, scrambling over rocks, steep climbs, steeper descents amongst amazing scenary alongside Loch Lomond and beyond.

The race was won by Scott Bradley in an amazing time of 7 hours 23 minutes and first women was Emma Roca in 8hr 23 mins. Out of the 363 finishers the average time was around 11 hours 30 minutes.

I was delighted with my 12 hour 10 minutes finish on a day when the conditions were close to perfect.

A medal, bottle of bubbly and t-shirt were presented to all finishers and stories swapped over soup and cold beer with fellow runners (again all provide free to the runners)at the end which just finished a great, but tough in parts, day.

For those with more energy left danced the night away at the race ceilidh.

You will be able to read more information here http://www.highlandflingrace.org/
and race reports will appear on the forum over the next few days.

If you are going to do a trail Ultra do this one......
Gerry BradyApr 30 2012, 10:52pmNice run by Irish international Sharon Trimble (nee Bird) in 13th overall, around five minutes off the winning woman.