Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow way attempt

AuthorDateMessage
Caroline ReidJun 24 2012, 12:22pmHi Folks

After much weather watching I've decided I'm going to try run the Wicklow way tomorrow Monday 25th June.

I'll be running from "Board to Board" Marley Park to Clonegal starting at 4am.
My support crew consists of Vivian O Gorman and my sister Fiona.

The furtest I've run to date is from Marley to Drumgoff, so its hard to predict times, but I expect it will be roughly like this:

4am Marley
6.15am Curtlestown
8.30am Lough Tay
9.45am Oldbridge
11am Glendalough
1pm Drumgoff

After this I expect the body may start falling apart and the times will get harder to predict but I hope to finish approx 12 midnight.

I had hoped my attempt would be with a friend but unfortunately he got injured a few weeks ago. Also many people kindly offered to come out to support me along the way if it was over a weekend but unfortunately the weather hasn't co-operated and due to adventure race commitments in August I cannot leave this any later than this week. So if there is anyone around wicklow tomorrow it would really be lovely to see some friendly faces.

I don't have internet access, but if anyone wants to ring/text me about tomorrow, I'm on 0864035910.

If you want to know about my progress tomorrow, you can text Fiona on 0864035910 or 0863110114

Keep your fingers crossed for me :o)

All the best
Caroline
Gareth LittleJun 24 2012, 4:59pm
Best of luck Caroline!

James HigginsJun 24 2012, 5:30pmCaroline, You can do it!

Best of luck to you and your support team. Hope it goes well and you hit that board in Clonegal with a bang!
Moire O'SullivanJun 25 2012, 7:50amBest of luck Caroline - have fun out there and enjoy the run!
Brendan LawlorJun 25 2012, 8:30amGood luck Caroline !
Eoin KeithJun 25 2012, 8:32amHave fun out there Caroline. Great to see you getting such good weather.
Brendan LawlorJun 25 2012, 9:07amCaroline passed Oldbridge, the handover point from Leg 3 to Leg 4 of the Wicklow Way Relay at 8.45am, looking very comfortable.

Vivian and Fiona looked equally unstressed so fingers crossed for the day
Zoran SkrbaJun 25 2012, 9:11amgood luck!
Eamonn HodgeJun 25 2012, 10:28amGood luck Caroline! Really hope you do it!

Is Vivian volunteering in return for you running on the All The President's Men team in the Wicklow Way Relay?!

Super weather for it! I'm jetlagged from holidays so I was wide awake at 5am and went for a jog in Bushy park. Fairly warm and great sunshine. If I'd known I could have run a couple of kilometres with you!
Angus TynerJun 25 2012, 3:31pmI accompanied Caroline from Glendalough up to Mullacor and a bit more. She was moving really well and in great spirits.

This was hours ago, but I've no updates since! She was close to an hour ahead of her schedule when we parted

The weather is great. Mainly cloudy in hills. Not too hot
A gentle southerly breeze picking up, but it won't impact much.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 25 2012, 4:35pmAngus, that's great news. I saw her off from Marley this morning and can confirm she was in great spirits then as well. It's kinda the default position for Caroline!
Paul TierneyJun 25 2012, 5:49pmAllez Allez Caroline!!! ;)
Kevin O'RiordanJun 25 2012, 11:39pmJust read that Caroline finished the Wicklow Way run in 17:12:03 . Congrats Caroline!
Eoin KeithJun 25 2012, 11:43pmWell done Caroline. I think that's the 3rd fastest time ever, and a new female record. Brilliant running!
Brendan LawlorJun 26 2012, 12:00amCaroline Reid finished running the full length of the Wicklow Way just after 9 this evening in 17:12:03 which is probably a new womens record (to be confirmed) - a fantastic achievement from a fantastic and lovely athlete - delighted for her! Well done also to her support team, Vivian O'Gorman and her sister Fiona
Rachel CinnsealachJun 26 2012, 12:03amA big well done to Caroline :)

Girl you are legend!

rach.
John BarryJun 26 2012, 7:46amA big well done from me too Caroline :-)

"The Way" is on my mind for a while (I'll be walking it in three weeks time). I be interested in seeing your report and splits to give me an idea of a similar target to aim for.

John
Mick HanneyJun 26 2012, 8:39amCongrats Caroline. Its notable that you were way ahead of the estimate finish time posted here yesterday which is fantastic. It meant catching you towards the end more challenging. Well done again.
Richard NunanJun 26 2012, 8:51amHuge Well Done Caroline !!! Super achievement and a great great run.
henny brandsmaJun 26 2012, 8:54amWell done Caroline,wouldend have tought otherwise then you breaking the women's
record,specialy with Vivian in your support team,no better assistent to get.
Next the Wicklow round,a wee bit harder,but on the day it's yours.
Cheers Henny
Paul MahonJun 26 2012, 9:18amCongrats Caroline - Super performance for sure.
Good to see someone from Meath posting an impressive performance as their footballers are barely able to beat Carlow ;-)

See you on the hills when you have given yourself a bit of well earned rest :-)
Lindie NaughtonJun 26 2012, 9:25amFantastic run Caroline - well done!
Ronan HickeyJun 26 2012, 9:29amAmazing! I had a sneaking suspicion, when you were happy to do so many legs of the WW Relay that something big was being planned! Savage run, well done!

Ro
cormac o ceallaighJun 26 2012, 9:29amwell done Caroline! excellent time. You have given me fresh motivation to give it a go!
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 26 2012, 9:38amCaroline, I know how long you've been thinking of giving this a shot so I'm delighted it went so well for you. That time has put anyone considering giving it a go under serious pressure!

And well done to Vivian & Fiona for supporting you. Having heard your barked demand for water on your exit from Marley I felt they had a long day ahead of them! ;)
John CondonJun 26 2012, 9:43amCongratulations Caroline. Amazing time.
Dermot MurphyJun 26 2012, 9:55amGreat run Caroline, well done! Great time as well. Myself and Ian Conroy waited around an hour at Glendalough to cheer you on, not realising that you were an hour ahead of schedule at that stage! Great stuff!
Robbie WilliamsJun 26 2012, 9:55amGreat stuff Caroline !!
Paul TierneyJun 26 2012, 10:55amSuperb run Caroline! And way ahead of your estimated time, although I'm sure you knew you had it in you!!

Rest well and enjoy!! :)
Caroline ReidJun 26 2012, 11:33amHi Folks,

I am so blown away by all the messages of support – thank you all so much.

I am really delighted to have finally finished the Wicklow way. Since doing my first Wicklow way ultra it’s been in my head and I’ve never understood why more people have not tried it.

I was a little unlucky yesterday as my quads were stiff from the start from a charity run I did at the weekend (just not used to road running) and I let the nerves get to me so my tummy was a mess for the first half (maybe in the long run this slowed me down and made the second half more manageable?).

I can honestly say if it wasn’t for Vivian O Gorman and my sister Fiona, I wouldn’t have made it through Drumgoff. I just can’t thank them enough for helping me realise my dream.

To everyone who came out to help along the way, Jeff with his ladder at Marley – no amount of climbing trees in my youth would have helped me scale that wall, Dad for running through scarey Marley with me, Brendan Lawlor for cheering me on at Oldbridge, Angus Tyler for running up Mullacor with me and making this section easy with his company to distract me, my good friends Kate and Gwen for taking the time out to help me along the way and Mick Hanney who kept me going for the last 8 miles and to all the people I missed along the way and those who texted and rang – it was amazing to get them messages all relayed to me as I ran along the road sections – it gave me a real boost :)

Busy in work for next few days so will try write up some type of report with times at the weekend.

Running through Wicklow yesterday in such beauty, on a lovely day, meeting lovely people made me realise how grateful I am to have got into the mountain running scene – a special group of people. THANK YOU :)
aidan roeJun 26 2012, 11:42amCaroline.
a fantastic effort. well done

aidan
Moire O'SullivanJun 26 2012, 2:51pmCaroline, you're a complete star! Well done on doing what you dreamed, and doing it all in record time! You're an inspiration to us all.
Michelle RowleyJun 26 2012, 3:42pmA huge congrats Caroline, on a fantastic achievement!
Zoran SkrbaJun 26 2012, 3:45pmwell done! super stuff!
Billy ReedJun 26 2012, 8:47pmI bet that feels good. Really well done.
John LanganJun 28 2012, 11:54amawesome result Caroline! Fair play! Amazing achievement :)

John
Justin O'KeeffeJun 28 2012, 12:06pmamazing achievement, very well done
Paul NolanJun 28 2012, 3:11pmWell done Caroline, great run.