Irish Mountain
Running Association

Run The Line 2012 - 28k & 13k trail race in the Dublin Mountains

AuthorDateMessage
Gareth LittleAug 13 2012, 10:30amHi all,

I am very pleased to announce "Run The Line 2012" which is a trail race in aid of the Dublin and Wicklow mountain rescue team. Please see below for more details and note that we will be going live with our website www.runtheline.ie next Monday the 20th. Any questions in the mean time just give me a shout on o879573216 or garethlittle at yahoo.co.uk

-------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Run the Line 2012!

Run the Line is a fundraising event for Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team.

The Event.....

The event will consist of two seperate races, accross the Dublin Mountains, a long distance 28km route and a shorter 13km route which will give a feel for hill-running for those not as used to this format.

The date is 6th October, which will fit in nicely to a marathon training schedule, with a registration time of 9am.

The location is Sean Walshe Park in Tallaght, where the A route will start, and where buses for the B route will pick up competitors and ferry them to the start at Cruagh Woods carpark. Both races will end near Glencullen, close to the iconic pub, Johnny Foxes, where you can meet up and have a post-race beverage and dissect your performance.

Cost: €20 registration fee, and €20 sponsorship to be raised via mycharity.ie

The Reason.....

Our mountains can be used for so much – walking, climbing, camping and, for the hardy and adventurous among us – hill-running.

Our event “Run the Line” aims to cater for both the seasoned hill-runner and also those runners who want to give the hills a try – a choice of two routes, each with plenty of climbs and varied surfaces. See our “route” section for details on the options.

The participant will get to enjoy the views of Dublin City and the invigorating feeling of running through beautiful pine forests, all the while knowing that our mountain rescue team is at hand to cater for any eventuality. And the fact that you are raising funds for a vital service on top of that!

The Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team was set up to help people in need of assistance in the hills and mountains, and we cater for a broad range of recreational users of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. For the past two years we have succesfully run a night-time hike over the mountains, to fund-raise for our life-saving activities. There is always a cadre of lean, hardy hill-runners who choose to do this event much faster than the majority, by running accross the route. We decided that it might be worthwhile to run an event specifically for runners and so the idea for “Run the Line” was born.

About the Team.....

The Dublin & Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team is an entirely voluntarily operated 112 / 999 service available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. While our team’s main area of operation is in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, we also cover as far as the Cooley Mountains in Co. Louth. On top of this, the team will also travel to other parts of the country when requested, to back up other Mountain Rescue Teams and the Gardai.
Our purpose is to provide a professional mountain rescue service for those who find themselves in need. This may include, Mountain or Crag accidents or lost /overdue / missing persons. In the last number of years the team responded to over 50 “call-outs” on average per annum. This does not include the behind the scenes work of training and committee meetings, which takes a huge deal of time and energy, and when we’re not doing this, we’re working to raise funds to stay operational.
The Dublin & Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team is made up of 40 volunteer members whose job is to lend a helping hand. Team members come from all walks of life e.g. outdoor instructors, doctors, ambulance personnel, engineers and farmers to name a few. They all have one thing in common and that is their selfless desire to help others in need. The team has two vehicles, our transit style vehicle, which we regard as our operations base vehicle, our Land-rover which is our first response technical vehicle. Each vehicle is fully equipped with all the life saving equipment needed for their roles in a rescue operation.

Gareth LittleAug 15 2012, 3:41pmPlease like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/runtheline2012

The route map can be found there too.

www.runtheline.ie to go live on Monday all going to plan.

Thanks,

Gareth
John CondonAug 24 2012, 12:41pmHi Gareth,

Will there be buses running between Glencullen and Sean Walshe Park after the Race?

Cheers,
John

Gareth LittleAug 27 2012, 9:08am
Hi John,

Yes, there will be a bus from the finish to the start.

Our website will be live tomorrow the 28th of August.

Thanks,

Gareth
John CondonAug 27 2012, 10:13amThat's great. Thanks Gareth.

John
Gareth LittleAug 29 2012, 1:19pm
Hi all, after a few delays our website is now live!

http://www.runtheline.ie/

Any questions just give me a shout,

Thanks,

Gareth
Brian FennessySep 5 2012, 9:23pmHi Gareth,

I'm interested in doing this event and would like to give the 28k event a shot subject to getting in some training before the event but in case I dont if I sign up for the 28k and feel nearer the time that im not fit enough for it can I do the shorter course instead.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Gareth LittleSep 6 2012, 6:38pm
Hi Brian,

This can be facilitated but we are trying to discourage it as we want to plan logistics with people that are either doing the long or short run.

If you can let us know as soon as possible that would be great.

Cheers,

Gareth
Brian FennessySep 18 2012, 9:24amHi Gareth,

Apologies for delay in reply, had a wedding and a honeymoon to attend to over the last couple of weeks. I'll probably sign up for the shorter route based on the fact that the training schedule didnt go to plan.

Cheers
Brian
Gareth LittleSep 23 2012, 6:58pmRace day instructions now updated:

28km - Registration opens at 09.00 and closes at 09.45 for race start at 10.00.

13km - Registration opens at 09.30 and closes at 10.15 for shuttle bus to start in Cruagh at 10.30, race start at 11.00.

Please note that we have to enforce a strict cutoff point here to ensure a prompt start, and to prevent participants getting cold, registration will be on a first-come first-served basis so if you find yourself at the end of the queue at registration close, you may be refused! (Obviously we will try to accommodate everyone, but please work with us on this one!)

BAG-DROP:

There will be a bag drop from the registration area to the finish, so you will have clean clothes available for you when you complete the traverse of the Dublin Mountain Way (well, most of it!). Bags will be supplied.

HYDRATION AND FEED STATIONS:

There will be two hydration stations en route, one at approximately 13km, and one at approximately 21km. There will be jellies and bananas avaialble at these locations also.

TRANSPORT:

We will provide transport from the finish back to the start, droping off at Luas Green Line. So all you have to do is get to Tallaght!

Get to Tallaght via public transport:

www.luas.ie, trams start at 06.30 to TALLAGHT (not Citywest)
www.dublinbus.ie,

27 - From Edenmore (Glenwood Rd.) towards Jobstown
49 - From Pearse St. Towards Tallaght (The Square)
54a - From Pearse St. Towards Ellensborough/Kiltipper way
56a - From Ringsend Rd. Towards Tallaght (The Square)
65 - Hawkins St. Towards Blessington / Ballymore
65b - From Hawkins St, towards City West
75 - From Dun Laoghaire towards Tallaght (The Square)
76 - From Blanchardstown / Ballyfermot towards Fettercairn
76a - From Blanchardstown / Ballyfermot towards Tallaght (The Square)
77a - From Ringsend Rd. Towards City West
21 - From Liffey Valley Centre to The Square
311 - From Newcastle via City West to the Square (Dualway Coaches)
Fly Bus from the Airport to the Square
Get to Tallaght via car and park for as little as €3 per day

http://www.parkopedia.ie/parking/tallaght/

Other things we'd like you to do:

Print out the medical disclaimer, fill it in and bring it with you! (LINK HERE)
Setup a MyCharity page and raise some money for a vital life-saving service. All profits from this event are going towards a badly needed base extension, at our base in Roundwood. (LINK HERE)
Like our facebook page and tell your mates! (LINK HERE)

Jeff SwordsOct 1 2012, 4:15pmHi Gareth,

Where's the registration etc in Sean Walsh park, just by the footbridge that leads into the Square ?
Gareth LittleOct 3 2012, 9:17am
Hi Jeff,

Registration will be in the car park beside the stadium. We will be the only people there at that time as the park is not officially open for another hour after we start registration so you should spot us easily enough. Keep an eye on the FB page for any changes.

Thanks,

Gareth
Niamh O CeallaighOct 3 2012, 11:38amGareth,
Just in case you don't know, there is a car boot sale on in the Stadium car park (next to the Walsh park carpark) every Sat morning. When I did a recce there a few weeks back, we got to the area at 8am or so and the area was packed with cars, so you may have to block non runners entering the Sean Walsh car park. There were cars parked all along Kiltipper Road (free pareking!)

Looking forward to the event! See you Sat.

Niamh
Eoin KeithOct 5 2012, 8:55amIs there anyone that will be driving to this tomorrow morning that would be able to give me a lift from the rathfarnham area (or templogue bridge vicinity)?

thanks

Eoin
Ger LawlorOct 5 2012, 12:19pmHi Gareth,

I was really looking forward to this race but I picked up a hamstring injury at the Powerscourt WAR and unfortunately the start line has come quicker than my recovery, bummer.
I hope everyone involved has a great day out in the hills.
Gareth LittleOct 6 2012, 4:14pmSorry to hear that Ger, you missed a great day out!

A big thank you to all who raced and helped out and congratulations to Eoin Keith on his (comfortable) win!!

Keep an eye out for RTL 2013!

Gareth & the DWMRT
Brian FennessyOct 6 2012, 6:45pmHi Gareth,

Thanks to you and the other team remembers for what was an excellent race and an excellent and enjoyable day. Well done to all.

Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,
Brian.
Justin O'KeeffeOct 7 2012, 11:46amGreat run, good support & excellent weather!.
Well done to the mountain rescue team for a v well run event. Very smooth. Next year if anyone is looking for long pre marathon training run , this is perfect with quite little actually off road / rough ground. Thanks again to all
pat BarryOct 8 2012, 9:56amLike to echo the comments, really enjoyed it and confusing the imra people who know my twin!
John J BarryOct 8 2012, 10:57amI echo Justins's comment.

At just under 18 miles it's a cracking good Long Slow Run for the marathon people. Justin and I have a lovely run together where we treated it as a LSR and we enjoyed every second of it. Tibradden to Fairy Castle is a lovely run/climb and the award of the view from Fairy Castle most be the best in Dublin.

Johnny Foxes is s still a d**p but Gavin and family made it very enjoyable - Great atmosphere there.

Well done to Mountain Rescue on a well executed event. The three water / sweet stops were at perfect times are most welcome.

John

James ClancyOct 8 2012, 11:47amThanks again to all the organisers and helpers for a fantastic event there at the weekend, really well orgainised, smoooth transport and bag drops, and well marked all the way. Hopefully see this event again next year and hopefully good funding for a worthy cause.

Thanks again

James
Pat BarryOct 8 2012, 12:28pmNot sure if the bag drop went so smoothly. It was funny with people having already given in their numbers had to retrieve their brown paper bag with no Idea what their race number was.

Also we need somebody to stand in front of the bus to stop it escaping.
Niamh O CeallaighOct 8 2012, 1:33pmBrilliant race!!!
Thanks so much for a great day. Helpful, encouraging marshals and super weather made this a great race.
Will defo be back next year!