Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wednesday training run

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorAug 27 2012, 9:09amPedantic Alan Ayling has correctly pointed to the deliberate typo in the Alternative Wednesday thread and Donal has also pointed to the fact that I can't change it. In any event the thread title was incorrect as Alternative Wednesday was conceived as an 'Alternative' to the Wednesday night league race, but as of this week there is no Alternative. Perhaps we should call it the No Alternative Wednesdays?

So now we have a new thread with a new title but the plan remains the same

Meet at Curtlestown Car Park (Grid ref O 185 168) on Wednesday 29th August at 6.50pm to run at 7. Training run up Wicklow Way, onto Ravens Rock and possibly Prince Williams seat, coming back down WW again. (total time 45-60 minutes) All standards welcome. Optional pints afterwards in Enniskerry

It NOT an official IMRA event and please don't get lost. If you are new, come along in time and we'll match you up with someone who knows the route

Future plans (all very fluid so check here)

Wednesday 4th September - Kilmashogue

Diarmuid O'C to propose a night to run in Barnaslingan

Brian Fennessey / Alan Ayling to propose Willow Grove run
Anne ClearyAug 28 2012, 6:15pmThat's great Brendan! Thanks for including for us newbies!! I'll be there next wk, so might get some details on where exactly in Kilmac ye meet closer to the time. Thanks!
Greg ByrneAug 28 2012, 9:31pmAnne, it is a different start each week, the exact location is decided on closer the day depending on who's organising and who's heading out. Be sure to double check the location information posted, as you'll find out that Kilmashogue is over 20km away from Kilmac-anogue.
Brendan LawlorAug 28 2012, 9:42pmGareth Little will be head bottlewasher tomorrow night as I may or not make it..I'll see you all if I do and enjoy if I don't!

Anne, we will put up a grid reference for the starting location each week
Brendan LawlorAug 29 2012, 9:52pmNo Alternative Wednesday's love of Muck n Shite was well catered for and the 11 of us enjoyed a fine run in reasonable conditions (Note correct use of apostrophe Pedantic Alan)

Next week we will meet at Kilmashogue (start point for the WW Relay - grid ref to follow)
Eamonn HodgeAug 30 2012, 12:31pmThat should be Muck 'n' Shite.

Pedantic Eamonn

I turned up a little late so had a nice run up on my own before meeting the crowd at the top for a nice run down.
Gareth LittleAug 30 2012, 12:34pm
Cheers for organising Brendan. It was great to see so many out and a good few new faces too. It was also great to see the Hodge lad out on the hill two weeks on the bounce!

I'll lead a group around Ticknock too in a few Wednesday's time.

Cheers,

Gareth
Stuart ScottAug 30 2012, 12:37pmTo appease the pedantics, how about promoting the use of the double apostrophe? One where it might be needed and two where it''s really needed!
Brian FennessyAug 30 2012, 10:13pmJust to start off thanks again to Brendan for organising the run last night it was great getting out to stretch the legs.

Myself Justin, Alan, John and Peter Bell are thinking of doing Willow Grove run Wednesday 19th September.

I was chatting to a few of the lads last night there seems to be a growing list of people who want to run from the Grove Bar (Grid ref O 265 097)going up a slightly overgrown track which connects onto the trail loop which skirts Downs Hill. It involves a little bit of running on a quite tertiary road and then onto a laneway then a good climb up a narrow track before joining up onto forest road.

The run is a good 9/10k and has some great views. And as Alan concurred pints are good in Grove and the cup of tea isn't bad either.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Brian

John KellyAug 31 2012, 12:03pmWould love to do willow grove run. Loved ravens rock wednesday night. Fair play and thanks again for organising it Brendan.
Anne ClearySep 4 2012, 9:34amThanks for the heads up on grid references and location details - will await tmrw eve's details if ye are still going!
Presume runners (asics) are ok? Or would it be walking shoes? (sorry for the first-timer queries!)
Brendan LawlorSep 4 2012, 9:48amStart location tomorrow is the Car Park at Kilmashogue (Grid ref O 150 245) - as last week I may or may not be there. Proposed route is out the Wicklow Way and up onto Fairy Castle summit and back the same way

Could someone who is definitely coming and who knows this route post here as co-organiser for tomorrow in case I don't make it
Kevin O'RiordanSep 4 2012, 11:36amHi Brendan, I plan to be there and know the route.

Anne, Asics runners are fine. Thanks to the efforts of the DMP, it's now road all the way to the summit of Fairy Castle.

Kevin.
John J BarrySep 5 2012, 1:19pmI went up to Fairy Castle last night and as my good deed for the day I ran down to Kilmashogue to get GPS distance. It's 2.5 miles or 5miles (8K) round trip for tonight.

It was good up there last night with loads of runners (met about 5!!!!)

I also got the change to tell three motorcyclists they were naughty boys for biking on the DMW.
aidan roeSep 5 2012, 1:42pmif theres any interest in a run (about 10KM) some wed evening in the near future
in West Wicklow I'd be happy to take a group out. (near Hollywood)

Aidan
Brendan LawlorSep 6 2012, 11:19amAfter last weeks mudfest we were on the motorway standard trail up to the top of Fairy Castle via the WW. 18+ (we'll be carpooling soon!!) lads and lassies (special welcome to Anne) were out- beautiful conditions and lovely company as ever

Next week Diarmuid will be leading a run at Barnaslingan - tricky enough route, I'll let him explain. I'll be away but will be back the following Wednesday
Diarmuid O'ColmainSep 10 2012, 5:08pmOk. Meeting time 6.45 pm for 6.50 start.

Meeting location for this Wednesday is Carrickgolligan carpark (see http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=15). It's near Kilternan on one approach and accessible from the Silver Tassie pub on the Wesford road at Loughlinstown at the other end. I've been up there a couple of times in the past week and the carpark closes at 8pm - hopefully that will not have changed.

It's a great place to run and the venue for one of the IMRA races (the Scalp) - see http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/maps/id/954/ The IMRA race essentially involves one loop around Barnaslingan wood (western part) and another loop around Carrickgolligan (easern part).

For Wed night, there are two options to consider:
1. Simply run the race loops, perhaps starting with clockwise loop around Banraslingan and continuing with anti-clockwise around Carrickgolligan (this second part would be opposite to the race route, for variety). This route would be fairly short - 5.8km, but having finished it, my suggestion would be to extend it by adding in a second loop around Barnaslingan in reverse.

2. Just wander around the many minor paths and tracks in the woods of Barnaslingan and Carrickgolligan at an easy pace. I am very familiar with all of these, and there is jsut wonderful terrain to explore ad-hoc. Of course the prohlem with this is the variety of speeds among us all. An option would be to break into two groups - a faster one with Alan Ayling (if he comes)and a slower group with me.

The default choice is the race route. We can decide on the night

Alan AylingSep 10 2012, 9:54pmI reckon I'm good for this Wednesday. (Will try and leave the apostrophic pedanty at home).
Alan AylingSep 10 2012, 10:13pm^ pedantry. Damn.
Brendan LawlorSep 10 2012, 10:41pmHaw! Pedantic Alan hoisted on his own petard! Love it!
Eamonn HodgeSep 12 2012, 11:21amWon't make it to the run tonight but looking forward to next week's. We'll have to get the head torches out soon.

Wonder will Anne make it out again? I was surprised to see her getting up to Fairy Castle on her first mountain run. Well done!

@Stuart - double apostrophe? My God man, have you lost your mind?!

@Alan - "apostrophic pedantry" - magnificent. I'll be using that one in future!
Anne ClearySep 12 2012, 12:01pmHi all...yep, I'll be tagging along again this eve! Thought I better give some advance warning in that line as there may need to be 3 groups (the last likely to consist of 1), trailing at the back!
Looking forward to it!
Jeff SwordsSep 12 2012, 12:07pmWhatever about the headtorches, I'm thinking long sleeves this evening. Autumn just didn't creep in, it dropped out of the sky over night on Sunday.
Gareth LittleSep 12 2012, 12:29pm
Cant't make this evening but will be there next Wednesday.

Enoy all!

Gareth
Brendan LawlorSep 12 2012, 1:29pmLikewise or 'ikewise !
Brian FennessySep 18 2012, 9:21amHi All,

Just for anyone who is interested in the Willow Grove run tomorrow night but who is unsure of the route, there will be some fast runners ie John Bell/Peter Bell to cater for those who want to do the run a bit faster and for anyone who is slow i'll be more than happy to lead from the back.

As the evening time is getting that bit shorter its a good idea to set off for 19.00 on the dot.

We'll meet up outside the Grove Bar for 18.45. Grid reference in an earlier post for anyone not sure where Grove Bar is.

Hope to see a few people there.
Cheers Brian

Justin O'KeeffeSep 18 2012, 8:31pmThanks Brian, will be cycling over just in case we get stuck in WillowGrove / Deverauxs for a bit after - thanks for organising
Gareth LittleSep 19 2012, 12:14pm
Can't make tonight either! I will definitely be there next Wed. What's the plan for next Wed?
Brendan LawlorSep 19 2012, 5:54pmSorry Brian, won't make tonight - hope wedding went well and enjoy the run!
Justin O'KeeffeSep 19 2012, 6:42pmSorry, wont make the run tonight....family has intervened, have a good run
Brian FennessySep 20 2012, 6:52pmHi All,

Great turn out last night I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Pint was nice too.

Some suggestions and ideas thrown about last night over the pint in Dinnys.

Pedantic Alan had a suggestion about doing Glen o the Downs with head torches and along a different route to the offical trail race and also the maybe including Kindlestown Woods which sounds great.

Also suggested was a run to the cross on Bray Head but from Greystones harbour where there is ample parking and a pub. We could have a short and long route so as to avoid getting caught out by lack of daylight.

Again thanks to everyone who turned out especially Anne. Well Done.

@ Brendan had a great wedding thanks.
Anne ClearySep 20 2012, 9:06pmThanks for last night Brian, and for the encouragement All! Really enjoyed the trek, and the pub afterwards. I wont be there next week, but I havent been scared off...especially if starting and ending near at a nice bar becomes a regular thing!!
Thanks again,
Anne
Gareth LittleSep 25 2012, 9:11am
Anyone around for a run tomorrow evening?
Alan AylingSep 25 2012, 4:59pmCan't make it this week, but up for next week alright. Headtorch running is pretty cool, will have a think about possible venues.
Brian FennessySep 25 2012, 5:28pmHi Gareth,

Im up for a run, any place in particular in mind?

Cheers,
Brian
James TuckerSep 25 2012, 5:45pmHey lads,

Yeah I'm up for a run tomorrow evening if there's one going. Really enjoyed the last few.
Kevin O'RiordanSep 25 2012, 5:49pmAlso up for it.
Brendan LawlorSep 25 2012, 5:50pmNot sure about tomorrow yet - can someone suggest who is a definite propose a route, a meeting place and a time? Ta
Brendan LawlorSep 25 2012, 5:52pmNot sure about tomorrow yet - can someone who is a definite propose a route, a meeting place and a time? Ta

Apologies to Pedantic Alan for the arseways grammar before!
Gareth LittleSep 25 2012, 7:25pmTicknock car park, ready to run at 7. Bring head torches.
brian fennessySep 25 2012, 8:12pmHi gareth

Sounds good are you thinking the 3rock summer route or mountain rescue benefit route or something different?

Thanks
Brian
Gareth LittleSep 25 2012, 10:13pmNot sure yet Brian, was just going to make it up as I go along. No more than 8k anyway. If anyone is unsure where the car park is just shout and ill sort you out wit directions, cheers
Kevin O'RiordanSep 25 2012, 10:54pmWill we be okay parking up there? I notice they have double yellows painted on the entire road outside now and I'm not sure if the gate stays open late this time of year. Might be better parking at Lamb Doyle's and running up from there maybe?
Gareth LittleSep 25 2012, 10:55pmWe should be grand at that time to park outside. You'd be very unlucky to get a ticket.
Gareth LittleSep 26 2012, 9:08am
I just remembered that the last time I passed Ticknock road it was closed. We may have to drive via Taylor's pub and up that way...
Brendan DohertySep 26 2012, 11:10amYes indeed the main road up to Ticknock was closed fo construction earlier this week. The alternative route is OK
James ClancySep 26 2012, 4:05pmKeen thanks, sounds great see you there.
brian fennessySep 26 2012, 5:26pmHi gareth

Sorry to say i wont make tonight.

Enjoy.

Brian
Anne ClearyOct 2 2012, 10:38pmHi guys- just wondering is there any plan for a run tmrw night??
Might tag along again at the rear if there is anyone heading out...
Thanks
Anne
Gareth LittleOct 3 2012, 9:14am
Hi Anne, I was going to organise a run up Djouce but I am no longer available. Marathon training has to take preference as that is only around the corner!
Brendan LawlorOct 3 2012, 9:25amHi folks

Lets do the Djouce trail tonight. Meet at Djouce Woods car park at 6.50 , start at 7pm , running the route anti clockwise (ie downhill first)

Bring a headtorch
Brendan LawlorOct 3 2012, 9:26amhttp://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1002/

Link here in case anyone is unsure
brian fennessyOct 4 2012, 5:38pmBrendan

Great run last night very enjoyable thanks a million for organising looking forward to next weeks one.

Anybody with any suggestions welcome.

Alan are you back on scene next week? Glen o Downs would be great run with head torches

Cheers
Brian
Colin DoyleOct 5 2012, 10:32amI'd be up for a run next wed nite,the closer to Dublin the more participants are likely, hows about Tibradden?
Brendan LawlorOct 9 2012, 10:44amOk, Tibradden it is so

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/maps/id/852/

Start location grid ref O 137 230

Meet at 6.50pm , off at 7 sharp..head torch essential. Park at forest entrance as they will probably lock the car park

Probable route will be up to top of Fairy Castle and back (loop optional)
diarmuid O'ColmainOct 9 2012, 3:36pmI'm going to stay close to home with a couple of laps of Killiney Hill on Wed night. Can get 45 to 50 minutes out of it if including the steps to White Rock. Anyone interested, contact me at 087 and o 241 3303
Brendan LawlorOct 11 2012, 3:48pmKraftwerk sang of the 'Shimmering Neon Lights' many years ago and last night as we looked down on Dublin from the slopes of Tibradden our group of 6 got to see what they meant - a lovely run!

I am away for the next two Wednesday's but don't let that stop the fun
pat barryOct 11 2012, 4:09pmWe are going to have a haunting head torch run tonight (they can be beautiful on a nice night). The best runner in our club (Pennine Fell Runners) died during a race last Saturday. This will be the first time a lot of us will be together since then.
Amazing tribute thread running here.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?18225-Darren-Holloway-%28Pennine%29
John J BarryOct 11 2012, 4:20pm

It was good last night. My first time running in the dark and the view on the way back from Tibradden was truly amazing. It was a pity Fairy Castle was so misty. I couldn't see my own nose up there!

Question about the old IMRA prize Head Touch. I used it last night and I found it good for about 2-3 meters and no more.

Is that poor for a head touch for running?

I don't know if the batteries are poor of if it's just the limitation of a double AAA head torch.

John

Kevin O'RiordanOct 11 2012, 4:29pmYou'd be better off getting a new headtorch. There are some insanely bright LED ones around for reasonable prices these days.
Stuart ScottOct 11 2012, 4:35pmHi John,

I use the same one and I think it's great. It is pretty useless but the batteries last for ages and night runs are much more interesting when you can't see what's in front of you!

Stuart
John J BarryOct 11 2012, 4:47pm

Kevin : Good advice :-)
Stuart: Dodgy Advice :-(

Off to TX Maxx now :-)

Brian FennessyOct 11 2012, 9:14pmHave to agree with Brendan and John it was a great run last night really enjoyed it very different from running in daylight with added edge.

If any one is interested im thinking of doing Glen of the Downs next week but also including a lap of Kindlestown Woods.

I'll stick up a grid reference for anyone interested.

Cheers
Brian
John J BarryOct 12 2012, 8:46amBack from TX Maxx now and with a new headlamp..

A 45 lumen Luxeon bulb for €19. TX Maxx stated original price was €38 which seems to match what I can find online.

Model is "Primus Primelight CA Headlamp". It's a model that's a couple of years old which seems to match TX Maxx's business model.

I brought the headlamp up to Marley park late last night and I was well impressed.

e.g. read the small print from twenty paces!

12 hours of battery life when using the Luxeon Full Beam (50 meter).

http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=364501

There is a couple more in Carrigmines if anybody is interested.

Anne ClearyOct 12 2012, 2:58pmSorry I missed Wed night now guys - sounds like it was a really nice run!! I should be about for next week so count me in for whatever is planned Brian.

Re the head torches...I got the Energizer Pro 4 LED Head Torch in Argos (€16) and found it pretty good last week in Djouce Woods- too late for you John but it sounds like you did well in TK Max!

Anne
Diarmuid O'ColmanOct 14 2012, 10:13pmI'm probably going to stick with the time-efficient (for me) run in Dalkey/Killiney/Glenageary on Wednesday 17th Oct. Anyone interested give me a shout at the phone number or email address on the IMRA runner list.
Brian FennessyOct 17 2012, 9:37amHi All
I'm doing a loop around Glen O the Downs this evening but running it from outside Kendlestown Woods where there is a good bit of parking grid reference is O 268 125.

Directions for anyone who wants to join me are;

Coming from Wicklow take 1st turn left for Glenview Hotel and cross over bridge take 2nd Left onto Ballydonagh Road see below for rest of directions.

Coming from Dublin take 1st turn left after sextons garden centre
following road take first right sign posted Ballydonagh Road (look out for signs for Glen O Downs Golf Club) continue on this road until you pass Glen O Downs Golf Club on right hand side 100m past entrance take right at T juntion continue up the hill until it levels out at this point your at meeting point.

My number is 0852889152 if you need to call please do.

Head torches are essential.

Hope to see a few of you there.

Cheers
Brian
John J BarryOct 17 2012, 11:14amBrian,

Cheers for directions. My new headlamp and I should be there. I'm taking for granted 7 p.m.

Rgds

John

brian fennessyOct 17 2012, 6:34pmHi john

Sorry i should have said yes we'll start run at 7

Cheers

Brian
Anne ClearyOct 18 2012, 10:45pmThanks for leading us out last night Brian!! Great trek through the Glen O'Downs...and in before the worst of the downpour! Very enjoyable run!!
Thanks a mill
Anne
brian fennessyOct 24 2012, 10:08am@ anne your welcome anne thanks again for coming out.

Thinking of running from greystones along cliff walk choice of 2 routes which we can look at when we get there.

Meeting point grid reference is O 295 129 which is greystones harbour

From dublin going south on n11 turn off greystones/kilcoole r 774 continue straight through 6 roundabouts turn right at final roundabout onto r 762 follow sign posts to harbour

Looking forward to seeing a few of you there

Any problems call me on 0852889152, bring head torches.

Meet at 6.40 or so head off 6.50

Cheers
Brian
John J BarryOct 24 2012, 12:43pmCheers Brian,

I see you there..

For those without a map:

http://www.gridreference.ie/
John J BarryOct 25 2012, 12:25pmBrain,

Well done on your route selection last night. It was a great 13km run where we want from Greystones to Bray on the low level path before picking up the LL Bray Head route up to the Cross and the high level route back to Greystones.

It was a lovely clear night and the views were great from "the cross" across the city and the ships on the sea.

It was a really enjoyable run and the pace was steady where the three of us were just as interested in the "getting out" as the 'training'.

Initial plans for a 10km on Maulin next week. Hope to see a few more out.

John

brian fennessyOct 25 2012, 1:42pm@john thanks a million john yeah it really was a very enjoyable run im looking foward to next weeks one stuart will have details before then.

Perhaps we'll do that route again before christmas im sure anne and a few others might like that route.

Also im thinking of doing altidore route again from rifle range entrance maybe in 3/4 weeks i will post up more details closer to the time.

Looking forward to next week thanks again

Brian

John J BarryOct 25 2012, 3:28pmBrian,

A circle of a half dozen routes would be plenty to get us through the winter.

Three Rock Car Park --> Fairy Castle (via Bone Shaker) --> Tibradden Car Park and back (via Wicklow Way and Fire Road) would be another fine night run. Also very handy to get too.

Once we get a bit of light in the spring we could expand out the routes.
John J BarryOct 31 2012, 2:13pmHi All,

I'm doing a run tonight from Ticknock Car Park --> Fairy Castle (via Bone Shaker) --> Tibradden Summit and back via Wicklow Way. Approx 11km.

Leaving about 6:45.

Drop me a sms if interested. ough eight 7 605 Eight ough 95.

John
John J BarryNov 6 2012, 8:15amOn another post Jeff mentioned Shankill to Johnny Foxes.

We could arrange that some Wednesday evening i.e. meet in Shankill and run to my house which is near Marley Park via the Dublin Mountain Way. I could drop you back to the start or wherever. I was thinking of doing it again myself. It would be a solid two hour run.

John

John J BarryNov 7 2012, 4:42pmHi All,

Late notice but since I heard nothing from the usual source I'm going to do a run tonight from Ticknock Car Park --> Fairy Castle (via Bone Shaker) --> Tibradden Summit and back via Wicklow Way. Approx 11km.

Leaving about 6:45.

John
John J BarryNov 15 2012, 3:52pmHi All,

I'm going to do a run tonight (Thursday) from Ticknock Car Park --> Fairy Castle (via Bone Shaker) --> Tibradden Summit and back via Wicklow Way. Approx 11km.

Leaving about 6:30.

John