Irish Mountain
Running Association

best phone for OS maps?

AuthorDateMessage
Rory CampbellSep 10 2012, 2:13pmHi,
Is there a particular (smart) phone that is useful for mountain navigation (at least as a backup to map/compass etc.)? I'd like to do the Art O'Neill challenge and so I'll need some nav. device as an aid.
So ideally one that has OS map of areas like Wicklow.

I don't want to invest in a garmin device if there's a phone that's close. (have to get a new phone anyway)
Any suggestions for phone makes/models?

(I'm told that certain maps are downloadable to Nokia phones - so they can act as standalone (no need for internet access) however I haven't seen a demo or heard how they are)

Thanks,
Rory
Fergus ByrneSep 10 2012, 2:18pmNo offense but you would be very foolish if you think a phone is good enough. What if you are out of coverage for example. You would be as well buying a cheap GPS or even cheaper again learn how to navigate!
Kevin O'RiordanSep 10 2012, 2:22pmThere's software called ViewRanger that runs on both Android and iPhone and lets you download OSI maps. Can work without coverage.
Paul O'GradySep 10 2012, 2:42pmHi Rory. I use Viewranger as a back up and it is excellent. It does take a while to pick out location when you are in poor coverage - but it will find you. There is also an offline mode. It's well worth the purchase - only about 10 Euro. We all need a bit of reassurance every now and again and this app does that perfectly!!!
Jeff FitzsimonsSep 10 2012, 3:30pmAs the other lads have said, Viewranger is good. I think it's used by a lot of Mountain Rescue services actually which indicates it's usability and performance credentials.

To answer your question though you need to make sure any phone you are using has a GPS receiver, most smart phones do these days. Iphone and Android devices from Samsung or HTC for example are what you are looking for probably.

As also previously mentioned, you do not need phone coverage once you have downloaded the maps to the phone prior to heading out. This is easily done from within ViewRanger.
Gareth LittleSep 11 2012, 9:22am
Hi Rory, I use Viewranger on my iPhone and think it's fantastic. The only drawback is that it's heavy on the battery if you leave it on. In saying that it's very important to have a map and compass and the skills to use them.

Gareth

niamh o ceallaighSep 12 2012, 8:51pmHi Rory,
Viewranger is brilliant. Just to clarify - you do not need phone coverage to use it. It uses GPS satellites which have coverage pretty much everywhere(outside).
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Mini smartphone. It is cheap - just 80 in Tesco . No contract. I find it super. I downloaded the Wicklow Mts OS through Viewranger. I have used it over much of the Art O Neil terrain.
In order to conserve battery, you can keep phone turned off until you need it.ie in art O Neil you certainly won't need it on the road.
If you wanted a better phone, i did some research when i was getting mine and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was coming out high on reviews.
derek kellettSep 12 2012, 10:15pmThe technology is great but please only as a back up. Telephones do not work very well when wet. A phone in a dry bag in my rain jacket inner pocket on the top of 3 Rock in a bit of traditional Irish rain has failed on me due to condensation. This is the same dry bag that has served me very well in a kayak i.e. under water since.

Hard copy map, compass & the ability to use same is a must, with the phone as a delightful tool. Please !!!!!
Stuart ScottSep 13 2012, 10:39amWell said Derek! Fancy phones and GPS things are quite handy, but are no replacement for the real thing. The only way to learn how to navigate is by trial and (plenty of) error. Keep the electronics for emergency situations.

Most importantly, it allows you endless gloating over those who cheated their way round an open mountain event, even if they beat you :-)

On a practical level, I find the OS maps are terrible as they don't have the level of detail that Harvey's and EastWest have. The Harvey's has more accurate contours and so is better on open mountain, but EastWest is better for tracks/paths and is more up to date.

The orienteering season is kicking off again (http://orienteering.ie/builder.php3?Fixtures) if anyone wants to improve their micro-navigation skills. Also, I'm sure there's plenty of us here who'd be happy to pass on advice in exchange for some Laragh coffee and a long weekend run!
Jeff SwordsSep 13 2012, 1:24pmDecided to take a look at Viewranger, ViewRanger Outdoors GPS Open is now free on the Android marketplace, is this the one people are talking about ? I don't see a Wicklow Moutains mapping set on their store.
Mick HanneySep 13 2012, 2:31pmHi,

re: the orienteering avenue, I see there is a biking orienteering event this Saturday at Carrick mountain. Is this open to anyone inc. novices? As an injured runner such events are very tempting.

Cheers,

Mick
Mick HanneySep 13 2012, 2:31pmHi,

re: the orienteering avenue, I see there is a biking orienteering event this Saturday at Carrick mountain. Is this open to anyone inc. novices? As an injured runner such events are very tempting.

Cheers,

Mick
Fergus ByrneSep 13 2012, 2:36pmMick yes it's an open event so anybody can attend. Goes for pretty much all orienteering events as well
Fergus ByrneSep 13 2012, 2:37pmMick yes it's an open event so anybody can attend. Goes for pretty much all orienteering events as well
Niamh O CeallaighSep 16 2012, 12:40amHi Jeff,
Yeah, that's the one - it is free on Android.
Download the app and then you can buy credit. i think the minimum is around 7Euro. Then when you are in the app, you go to view download grid I think and can download maps in tiles from there. I have downloaded all the way from Tallaght down to Aughrim and still seem to have lots of credit left from my 7E.
Jeroen KleijnMay 11 2014, 4:26pmI use view ranger on my sony xperia s. The native gps chip (without internet connection) is very good. Beter then my garmin! In the clouds up at Sprinklin tarn (near Scafell pike) no problem finding the route at all!! Excellent combination. I am a fan of map reading using the compass, but I will never go out in the mountains without this app!
John CondonMay 12 2014, 2:01pmTrust the compass.