Irish Mountain
Running Association

Looking for GARMIN GPS handheld

AuthorDateMessage
Johan DehantschutterOct 26 2012, 6:14pmI’m looking for a Garmin GPS handheld to use as safeguard in the Art O’Neill
Would anyone have one for sale (cheaply)? I guess I’m looking for any model that has the Irish mountain maps on it and on which courses can be uploaded through Garmin Connect.
Models such as Montana, Oregon, GPSMAP or eTrex..
My email is johan.dehantschutter@hp.com
pat barryOct 26 2012, 7:40pmDo u have a smart phone there must me an app available that would give you your Irish GPS position. That with a map is all you would need.

I am over in Manchester and the free app I use is "GPS Status" There must be an Irish equivalent.
Pat barryOct 30 2012, 9:36amFell like I was cheating on Sunday made a big cock-up going up St Sunday Crag in the Lake District. Walking along quite happily following the (wrong) footpath until I realized the ground bore no resemblance to what the map says. So I had to get my phone out to get my Grid Position from GPS Status and and then walk on a compass bearing to get back to the mountain I should have been on!!
Paul TierneyOct 31 2012, 10:47pmI used the Viewranger app on my iphone for Art O'N last year and it worked great, its a brilliant app. I got the route files from the Art O'Neill thread on boards.ie

A dedicated handheld would be better though as the gps really kills the battery on the iphone so if you're going to be out there for a while it might not last long enough.
pat barryNov 2 2012, 8:10amPaul is such a good runner he can get to the end before the battery runs out. More normal/average people need a second battery :)