Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running the Art o Neill Route

AuthorDateMessage
Robbie WilliamsNov 14 2012, 8:35amHi Guys,
I'm thinking of running the route of the Art o Neill in January at night time. A good date might be Friday 13th Possibly starting at 2am from just outside Dublin castle. Of course it wouldn't be as good as the original but that's sold out. So there would be no finishing tee shirts as this would be a training exercise :)

A good sized group would make it a great night!!
Zoran SkrbaNov 14 2012, 9:13amWhat year? Next January that has Friday on the 13th is in 2017.
Robbie WilliamsNov 14 2012, 9:34amHi Zoran
This Jan coming...my apologies it's the 11th !!!

Are u coming ??? Or did u get number already!!
It's Gona be the Renegade Art o Neill !!!!

Art would be turning in his grave if he knew the political bullshit the national parks have made this practice of enjoying our mountains !!
Paul TierneyNov 14 2012, 9:43amTypical Cork Rebel!!
Jeff FitzsimonsNov 14 2012, 9:50amThis thread is more William Wallace than Robbie Williams!
Mark MorrisseyNov 14 2012, 10:52amHow long is the route Robbie ?
Ronan HickeyNov 14 2012, 3:06pm55K

Although if it's the same route as last year there is a kilometre section through private land that you might have to go around or trespass on, depending on your personal convictions.

According to the organiser on Facebook it looks likely that in future years this will just be an ultra run with no hybrid/hike options

Got my entry in anyway so will give it a lash for the laugh. What other IMRA heads are doing the official run? Are Messrs. Tierney, Keith and Byrne back to duke it out at the sharp end? Any plodders like me out there sign up?

Ro
mark morrisseyNov 17 2012, 5:31pmGood luck with it Lads sounds like a great run :)
Pól Ó MurchúNov 22 2012, 8:22pmMissed registration... Wouldn't mind was on the site the day was meant to be open and a couple of days after and even site wasn't up. Missed it then in the end when it did finally open. I'd be up for something "informal" either.
Ken CowleyNov 23 2012, 6:56amI wonder have many people petitioned the National Parks organisation (as suggested by the AON organisers) to try and get the numbers increased?
I was lucky to get in to the event, but I know lots of people who were disappointed.
The huge bulk of the field are the walkers, maybe in future years they'll just make it an ultra-running event. Last year I seem to remember there were only 50 or 60 runners? 50 or 60 people is hardly going to cause any significant environmental damage..
Pol - it might be worth asking the organisers could they just ask permission for any extra 20 or 30 ultra spaces? (and I'm not meaning to offend any disappointed walkers)