Irish Mountain
Running Association

Beginner Questions

AuthorDateMessage
Aae O'MNov 19 2012, 3:59pmHi All
I've had a look at your website but still have a few quick question...
So any/all advice or suggestions are very welcome.
Are there any mountain running clubs? Or is it just the association and an individual just turns up to what ever race they wish to do?
I'm used to running on the road, but would really like to go off road and try something a bit new.
Thanks
Richard NunanNov 19 2012, 7:19pmHi, It seems there are many clubs that take part in Mountain Running, rather than specific clubs for Mountain Running.

Where are you based and perhaps people can better advise you.

You can show up at any race and join as a Member for the year. You do not need to be part of a running club.

The winter league is due to start on the weekend of the 12th of January. With a race that would suit those who would like to "try something a bit new"
juju jayNov 20 2012, 12:15amhi there Aae,
as IMRA is a great club & do good races.. there is also a little group of us outside imra that meet up every 2weeks in heart of "Glendalough" for trail & mountain runs anywhere from 10 - 30k slow & fast paces...
we have a fb page called "mudsweatandrunners" if you would like to join us for any runs... we have 40 or so people on the page & at any one time we have 4-10 people out running on day & night runs..
all is welcome...
peace
Aae O''MNov 20 2012, 10:18amThat's great, thanks Richard. I'm in North Kildare. I'll aim for Howth on the 12th so.
I would love to do some running in Glendalough, thank you very much for the invite juju jay. I can run a comfortable 20km on the road, but, add in a steep incline and trail terrain 10km might be the height of me???
Also I don't have trail runners as I run on the road mostly, do I need them before hand, or would I get away with a run or two to see how it goes before I buy them.
Thanks
Pat BarryNov 20 2012, 1:54pmwith a run or two to see how it goes before I buy them.

If you do not have them then you have not choice really. It would really depend on underfoot conditions. If there has been a lot of rain in recent days then having good grip makes a massive difference. Conversely if it has been reasonably dry then you will probably be OK. I went out last night for a 16 Km run in a pair of Inov8 mudclaws 333s on a trail run behind my house and they were fantastic. I can do the same run in road shoes without a problem in the summer.
Mark QuinnNov 20 2012, 2:23pmHi Richard, is the Winter League confirmed for Jan 12th start at Howth?? Do you know when the calender will be released? Tks
juju jayNov 20 2012, 4:31pmhi Aae..
ya like Pat Barry says it all depends on underfoot conditions. If there has been a lot of rain in recent days then having good grip makes a massive difference. & we do 2 kinds of runs in our group, you can turn back at any time, Few people that came at 1st had the same as you "rd shoes" just to see how it was. they ran the trail but the 2nd time they had got a pair of trail shoes cause they fell in love.!! so come along try it out if you feel like trail running is for you then you can pair some trail shoes & do the races & runs.. i think you have liked our group page "mud sweat and runners" i see a name that looks like yours there????
so ill send you an invite...
peace
Aae O''MNov 20 2012, 5:51pmSuper, thanks a mil. All makes sense.
Yes I did like the page