Irish Mountain
Running Association

Baker's Cyst

AuthorDateMessage
Ger LawlorNov 28 2012, 5:19pmHey All,

I have had pain in the back of my knee which began after a recent race. I have stopped running since becuase of the discomfort and also for fear of causing more damage. I had an MRI yesterday which showed up that I have Baker's Cyst. Has anyone had experience of this injury? I would really appreciate any feedback.

Ger
Ken CowleyNov 28 2012, 6:10pmHi Ger,

I've had something similar twice in the past. I had thought it was connected with a knee issue, had never heard of the 'bakers cyst' term before. Anyway, I think I got it by 'upping' my mileage too quickly when training for a long race.
And it spread down my calf and up my hamstring somewhat.
The only thing that cleared it up was total rest from running for a month or so. Had no problem cycling or swimming.
The biggest problem was running (and walking, to some extent, downhill).

If you're thinking of physio I went to see Kathy Kavanagh physio in recent weeks for an arm injury (sustained in a mountain race!) and found her excellent. She has a great track record, including working with the Irish team at the Olympics.
Here's her website;
http://physiocentre.ie/contact/
Jim FitzharrisNov 28 2012, 6:22pmGer,

I presume that you are attending a doctor and that it was he/she who referred you for the MRI?

I had a knee problem earlier this year and had a Baker's cyst. The sports doctor aspirated it and I also got a steroid injection into the back of the knee (anti-inflammatory). That and some rest cleared it up. I too had an MRI and was told it was down to wear and tear - age-related apparently. What impertinence !!

Cheers,

Jim.

Ger LawlorNov 29 2012, 9:39amCheers Guys,

Yes Jim, I am attending a sports doctor who referrred me for MRI. He has analysed my running technique through video analysis and has gien me a program to alter my technique which should improve my running and take the pressure off the back of knee where the pain is. Fingers crossed..
Colum McKeownNov 29 2012, 12:07pmHi Ger,

Would you recommend the sports doctor you're using? My brother has been having some running related problems that he hasn't been able to sort and the physio/running analysis combination sounds like it might work for him.

Could you email me the name? (ctmckeown@gmail.com)

Many thanks

Colum